Review of Grandeur 3/12/2005

They had a nice pool, huge beach area, huge open restaurant area with plenty of seating, and two or three bars on the beach. They also had waverunners for rent (I didn't price them), and rides on towables, and parasailing. The restrooms were clean and modern. There were several little shops inside the resort too, but I didn't go in them. A great place if they would only offer a couple of authentic Mexican entrees instead of the salad and chips and guaco. :D

MopedMama - yes, my mother is almost recovered. She did spend several days in the hospital once we got home, just as a precaution and for some tests which thankfully all turned out to be negative.

We did the Mayan Ruins tour on Monday and I think that is what accelerated my mom's getting sick. There was a lot of walking and it was really hot. She has allergies and already had the sniffles and by the time we finished that 6-hour tour, she was exhausted. I will never do that again. Too many people that we couldn't even hear what our guide was saying or even get very near what he was talking about.

We also did the Atlantis submarine in Grand Caymen. I went over on a tender earlier in the morning while mom stayed in bed. Then she met me at the pier when it was time for the tour. I could tell she wasn't enjoying it so as soon as the tour was over, we went right back to the ship.

I sat around at the pool and read, went to the shows at night and took care of my mom. That was my cruise. But mom couldn't help it she got sick.

PAFamily - where are you from in PA? We're from near Carlisle.

My DW and I are booked on the Grandure 12/10 out of New Orleans in roon 4069 and our TA says its non-smoking:D
I think all of the cabins are non-smoking (for the most part.) But smoking is allowed in the Champange Bar area which is a few cabins down the hall.

Map of deck four:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do;jsessionid=0000f1FeXMmuI7pJEXKvJs9SIzA:v29bc620?shipCode=GR&deckCode=MD&shipProfile=1068&sailDate=1050409

I'm hoping to move a little more forward on the ship if one of the cabins I want becomes available. I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke, and would rather not have to stuff towels under my door. ;) Maybe I'll cross my fingers and see if we get upgraded - lol!

I can't stand smoke, however, my sister does smoke. Every year, our cabin steward has given her an ashtray and tells her that she can smoke in the room :( :( . At least I don't have to room with her, but I wonder if you can really get the smoke smell out of the room for the next passengers on board?? Anybody have a smoke smelling room in the past?

I also have never smelled smoke in any of my cabins. I don't know how they do it, but they do it somehow! Our cabins have always smelled fresh!

Carbon, I have sailed on several Voyager-class ships with my family (they are my favorites!) and will be trying Grandeur this July with just my Husband and I. I will post my comparison when I return. I am pretty sure you can't do an apple to apple comparison as they are truly different "style" ships. But I anticipate a more laid-back experience on Grandeur, in a quieter but more elegant atmosphere. I'm really looking forward to it but will soon be back to my usual Voyager-class ships!

Archived