Mazatlan might be back on itinerary in 2012

Rosefloater

I really wish the Splendor would do the PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo. We really enjoyed our time in Mazatlan last time we cruise there. I book our upcoming cruise next year based on the three different ports. But a cruise is a cruise is a cruise, better then not cruising.:D

I really wish the Splendor would do the PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo. We really enjoyed our time in Mazatlan last time we cruise there. I book our upcoming cruise next year based on the three different ports. But a cruise is a cruise is a cruise, better then not cruising.:D

Couldn't agree more! I'm still hopeful that Carnival will start calling there again by the spring...but I'm not holding my breath! I'm really having trouble with 2 days in Cabo....but a cruise is a cruise!

While there are indications that if safety and security improve in Mazatlan, to levels better than are experienced there doday, some cruise lines will add Mazatlan to itineraries in the future (late 2012), it's a long time off and the situation in Mazatlan and Sinaloa will have to improve much more than today. So, though it will be good for the local community and some cruise passengers if the stop is added once again .. don't count your chickens before they hatch.

O.K. gomexico has a point, but I know that the media has totally blown the whole thing out of proportion. No tourist have been harmed in Mexico; however, a 14 year old girl was shot in a drug gang crossfire in St Thomas and yet the ships continue to sail there.

I just don't get it.:confused:

gomexico, I don't think anybody is counting chickens before they're hatched...I just believe that there are fans of Mazatlan who would like to see the stop returned to MR itineraries, that's all. We know that the safety and security of visitors is still a concern and that the decision is probably a long way off. Let me just dream, okay?

CWcruisers, I don't know if that's a double standard or just making decisions on a case by case basis...

But I agree--any day on a cruise is a good day!

CWcruisers, I don't know if that's a double standard or just making decisions on a case by case basis...

It is definitely a double standard.:(

All that happened in Mazatlan is people saw stuff, i.e. nothing happened.

It is definitely a double standard.:(

All that happened in Mazatlan is people saw stuff, i.e. nothing happened.

I so agree with you ...... in Vancouver this is much more drug related crime then most people know about yet cruises still seem to be going out of Vancouver.

I so agree with you ...... in Vancouver this is much more drug related crime then most people know about yet cruises still seem to be going out of Vancouver.

True Vancouver does have a huge drug problem, and the crime that goes along with it...but people, especially tourists, don't typically see it and it certainly isn't putting any tourists (or for the most part locals) at risk. Heck, I have no problem walking through the downtown eastside (Canada's poorest neighborhood) during the day and while I might feel out of place I am not worried about my safety.

True Vancouver does have a huge drug problem, and the crime that goes along with it...but people, especially tourists, don't typically see it and it certainly isn't putting any tourists (or for the most part locals) at risk. Heck, I have no problem walking through the downtown eastside (Canada's poorest neighborhood) during the day and while I might feel out of place I am not worried about my safety.

Last time I walked through the eastside I had a addict throw up almost on my shoes.....LOL

I think your statement holds true to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo as well.

Mazatlan is trying to clean up their rather media smeared image......yes bad things happened and yes some tourists saw stuff other then what they should have, but I do think the cruise industry reaction was a little over the top.

.....used one isolated incident as an excuse to go to Cabo 2x. Why? Carnival doesn't then have to pay docking/port fees at Mazatlan. They drop anchor twice at Cabo, thereby increasing profit margin. Just my humble opinion.

In any case, I am booked on the twice-Cabo March sailing. As was stated previously, "a cruise is still a cruise"!:)

Maybe Carnival does but Princess doesn't "drop" the anchor twice they stay put...Sorry RCI but have booked for the first time with Princess for Mexican Riviera (overnight in Cabo) Feb 2012 and they now have included Mazatlan on their 2013 schedule..If RCI doesn't come back to the west coast by then I will book Princess again for 2013 for the full Mexican Riviera...

O.K. gomexico has a point, but I know that the media has totally blown the whole thing out of proportion. No tourist have been harmed in Mexico; however, a 14 year old girl was shot in a drug gang crossfire in St Thomas and yet the ships continue to sail there.

Most people who travel understand clearly that they or their traveling companions not need be shot and killed in order for an insecure, unpleasant environment to exist which will make a particular destination not wothy to visit.

If anything, the serious situation in Mazatlan and the state of Sinaloa has not been reported in much of the media. If anything, the media under-reports and the Mexican media self-censors so as not to be target by the terrorists.

The reasons the cruise ships pulled-out of Mazatlan and failed to be lured back by no or low port fees offered by the government have been documented in prior discussins here on CC. Some were horrific. Some involved ships' passengers, some ships' crews.

Comparing what's been happening in Mazatlan and along the Pacific Coast of Mexico with an incident in St. Thomas is deceitful and irrelevant (the supposed incident in St. Thomas). This forum deals with the Pacific Coast of Mexico. There are no valid comparisons with much of the rest of the world, unless, maybe Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.

I, too, hope that the terrorism declines and all of the ports of call once on the itinerarys are agains visited by the ships. But sticking ones head in the sand or minimizing the seriousness of the situation only serves to give false information to people lookiing for the best information available. Yes, read all points of view. But be honest with yourselves.

I've been referring to this and the tourist targeted robberies in other cities in the Caribbean.

Maybe Carnival does but Princess doesn't "drop" the anchor twice they stay put...Sorry RCI but have booked for the first time with Princess for Mexican Riviera (overnight in Cabo) Feb 2012 and they now have included Mazatlan on their 2013 schedule..If RCI doesn't come back to the west coast by then I will book Princess again for 2013 for the full Mexican Riviera...

I'll be really surprised if RCI comes back to the Mexican Riviera. At least for the next fews years.

I hope you get the opportunity to do the "regular" Mexican Riviera cruise including PV, Mazatlan and Cabo at some point. Each port has it's own, very unique identity,

Most people who travel understand clearly that they or their traveling companions not need be shot and killed in order for an insecure, unpleasant environment to exist which will make a particular destination not wothy to visit.

If anything, the serious situation in Mazatlan and the state of Sinaloa has not been reported in much of the media. If anything, the media under-reports and the Mexican media self-censors so as not to be target by the terrorists.

The reasons the cruise ships pulled-out of Mazatlan and failed to be lured back by no or low port fees offered by the government have been documented in prior discussins here on CC. Some were horrific. Some involved ships' passengers, some ships' crews.

Comparing what's been happening in Mazatlan and along the Pacific Coast of Mexico with an incident in St. Thomas is deceitful and irrelevant (the supposed incident in St. Thomas). This forum deals with the Pacific Coast of Mexico. There are no valid comparisons with much of the rest of the world, unless, maybe Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.

I, too, hope that the terrorism declines and all of the ports of call once on the itinerarys are agains visited by the ships. But sticking ones head in the sand or minimizing the seriousness of the situation only serves to give false information to people lookiing for the best information available. Yes, read all points of view. But be honest with yourselves.

I enjoy visiting Mazatlan but wouldn't be overly excited to visit it now. I have a friend with a timeshare there and she gets quite a few reports about the situation there and she isn't using her timeshare any time soon.

I respect everyone's right to post their opinions but I do wonder why you would compare the situation in Mazatlan with Afghanistan and Iraq?

I enjoy visiting Mazatlan but wouldn't be overly excited to visit it now. I have a friend with a timeshare there and she gets quite a few reports about the situation there and she isn't using her timeshare any time soon.

I respect everyone's right to post their opinions but I do wonder why you would compare the situation in Mazatlan with Afghanistan and Iraq?

Just google the Los Angeles times stories, they have done a whole series of them.

Here is just one:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2011/06/mexico-war-dead-update-figures-40000.html

This article is also very good:

http://projects.latimes.com/mexico-drug-war/#/its-a-war

Please be informed about the seriousness of the situation in Mexico.

Another website which I read everyday is www.mazatlanmessenger.com

Go to the home page..click on "local news"....and read back several months. Mazatlan isn't the "safe place" it was when I first visited in 1984. I have many friends(locals) there.... that are wondering if they're going to be in the wrong place ...when a bullet meant for a bad guy...hits them first!!

This article is also very good:

http://projects.latimes.com/mexico-drug-war/#/its-a-war

Please be informed about the seriousness of the situation in Mexico.

Thank you. As I stated, I wouldn't visit Mazatlan right now nor would my friend who has a time share there. I just found it interesting to compare Mazatlan to Iraq.

I'll be really surprised if RCI comes back to the Mexican Riviera. At least for the next fews years.

I hope you get the opportunity to do the "regular" Mexican Riviera cruise including PV, Mazatlan and Cabo at some point. Each port has it's own, very unique identity,

Thanks..I have done the "full" aka "regular" Mexican Riviera 4 x's and the Baja 3 x's..I will wait for RCI to return and will book as soon as they do but in the mean time will be sailing Princess. I think RCI will reconsider this in the not too distant future as their missing out as other cruiselines have take over the west coast.;)

Thanks..I have done the "full" aka "regular" Mexican Riviera 4 x's and the Baja 3 x's..I will wait for RCI to return and will book as soon as they do but in the mean time will be sailing Princess. I think RCI will reconsider this in the not too distant future as their missing out as other cruiselines have take over the west coast.;)

Oh nice to hear you have had the opportunity to sail the full MR cruises. That's great. I haven't cruised RCI recently but always did enjoy the cruises I did on them. I hope you enjoy Princess.

Oh nice to hear you have had the opportunity to sail the full MR cruises. That's great. I haven't cruised RCI recently but always did enjoy the cruises I did on them. I hope you enjoy Princess.

Thanks so much..I am really excited to try Princess.. And again have the opportunity to just "drive" to the pier.. Also the fact that Sapphire will have just came out of drydock and from what I have read we are very lucky to have scored E731..

Archived