Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meff

My Zuiderdam experience, in brief

My husband, another couple and I were on the Zuiderdam 3-26 to 4-2. Overall, it was a wonderful cruise. The ship is nice, a few minor problems here and there but nothing significant. We loved spending time on our balcony in the mornings and at night, and visiting the Crow's Nest for cocktails before dinner. It is one of the best lounges I have ever been in. I always felt like I was in an old fashined nightclub in there. Also, the deck area just outside of the Crow's nest had the nicest teak deck chairs and was usually quiet. Although there were a lot of children on this holiday cruise, this area was usually child-free. We briefly plunged in each of the pools, and found them smaller than we expected, but nice.

Our stateroom was well-designed, with plenty of storage. Loved the bathroom, especially the bath products they provided. Mint shower gel and citrus soap. Yummy! I found the little details such as these meant a lot in terms of feeling pampered.

We attended the Joel Mason show which was very entertaining, but otherwise we found the entertainment slightly disappointing.

The food ranged from good to excellent, with a few not-so-good items. These may have just been personal taste for me, because my companions liked everything they tried. I had the best lamb chop I've ever eaten one night. It was cooked perfectly and crusted with mustard. The desserts, breads and pastries were consistently wonderful, and I ate way too many of them! (Had to bring home a rumcake from the giftshop to ease the transition) The food at the Pinnacle was wonderful, and the Lido was excellent. Sometimes when we wanted to have a late lunch, some of the stations were closed. Had room service coffee every day, usually with fruit and pastry. Very prompt, friendly service and good cofee.

Service in general was very good. The crew greet you politely whenever they see you, and offer to assist in any way they can. Our room steward, Budi, took very good care of us all week. We had the most wonderful wine steward named Jao. He was very knowledgable and made great recommendations. Plus he was a really nice guy who we loved chatting with. Our dining room service was efficient but impersonal. Our waiter never did learn our names or make any food recommendations. However, he did a professional job of serving us.

It was a terrific cruise, with perfect weather, good ports of call and great companions. What more could you possibly ask for? One more week, Please!!!

Sounds like you had a delightful time! But, we're anxiously waiting to know - were your clothes wrinkled, and did anybody notice?:rolleyes:

I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise.

It was very refreshing to read your post. I'm seeing more positive on the board now about the Zuiderdam. I have sailed it twice and was very happy with my experience. Going a 3rd time in June.

Thank you for posting!

Hi meff,

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us :) Sounds like you had a good time and didnt let the not so good things ruin your cruise :) Welcome Home!

Meff,

Thanks for sharing. It makes me more excited about our JUly cruise on the Zuiderdam.

Sounds like you had a great time. Hope the transition to reality isn't too traumatic :) Which stateroom did you have? Do you think the comments below apply to all categories? Seems I'd read that the bath amenities were not replenished, so I wanted to verify. Were your breakfasts served promptly on days when there were early arrivals and the staff might be expected to be busy? Glad you had such an enjoyable trip!!!

Thank you very much!

Scrumpy

My husband, another couple and I were on the Zuiderdam 3-26 to 4-2. Overall, it was a wonderful cruise.... Our stateroom was well-designed, with plenty of storage. Loved the bathroom, especially the bath products they provided. Mint shower gel and citrus soap. Yummy! I found the little details such as these meant a lot in terms of feeling pampered...

Had room service coffee every day, usually with fruit and pastry. Very prompt, friendly service and good cofee...

Is this something new?

Mint showergel? Citrus saop?

Years ago we used to get a shower gel - but not mint. Are all the soaps citrus? DH won't like that.

Scrumpy, we had a balcony stateroom, but not a suite. I believe the bath stuff is the same for all categories, but I'm not sure. They did replenish the products as we used them.

Krazy, the shower gel was called "sharp" but I thought it was minty. The bath soap wasn't very strongly scented, but both facial and bath soap were citrus. I don't know if these are new, as this was my first HAL cruise.

Meff, so glad you enjoyed the Zuiderdam. We were on the March 11th sailing and we had a wonderful time, enjoyed the ship very much.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts - I am looking forward to the Crow's Nest after reading so many positive reviews. Hearing about the nice bath products was also a definite plus! Wasn't expecting that. :)

We were on the same cruise in a deluxe verranda suite and we had different bath products. It was the line the spa is selling, Elemis nice products, but my son and I developed a rash from it! Husband and other son just fine. I think it was just a fluke that our skin did not like it It was packaged very nice and had a nice scent would have bought some to bring home except the rash!