LAFFNVEGAS Says Aloha LIVE from the MS Oosterdam

LAFFNVEGAS

You've got to be kidding! You would have put the three in a lifeboat and set them adrift?

David

P.S. Just exactly which part of the cruise are people "missing out" on? The ship is still going to the same two ports PV and Cabo.

Exactly 1/7 of the cruise. Don't you count sea days as cruise days? The Mexican Riviera cruisers are already suffering after they nixed Mazatlan, now you want to take a day of their seven away?

Of course I wouldn't put them in a lifeboat. The lifeboats are needed for the other passengers in case something happens to the ship. They could be kept comfortable in the ship's hospital until it was their time. At least they'd be with their family. One wonders what cruise passengers did before helicopter medevacs.

Exactly 1/7 of the cruise. Don't you count sea days as cruise days? The Mexican Riviera cruisers are already suffering after they nixed Mazatlan, now you want to take a day of their seven away?

Of course I wouldn't put them in a lifeboat. The lifeboats are needed for the other passengers in case something happens to the ship. They could be kept comfortable in the ship's hospital until it was their time. At least they'd be with their family. One wonders what cruise passengers did before helicopter medevacs.

They died in the limited Medical Center, if there was one, on the ships:(

Joanie

Post #245 on this thread.

David

Thank you. I am speechless (which does not happen often) to the type of posts you were responding to. I understand the loss of a vacation day, but...San Diego is not Wichita. And, I think that most recognize that if they were the person in need of medical care they would be thankful for the medevac, rather than the morgue. The loss of vacation days occurs for many reasons, including hurricanes, blizzards and many other things outside of our control.

It will be fun to get Lisa's report for today and an update on another fabulous sea day. Cherie

There are at least three other threads for debating the evacuated passengers and the fairness of the situation for those sailing on 11/5 (now 6). There are many vailid points to be made, but is it really necessary to hijack this thread so lovingly created by Lisa to document her experience? :confused:

Wednesday November 2, 2011

Greetings from the Oosterdam somewhere in the Pacific.:D

What a beautiful Sea Day with three more to go after this :)

The seas are not what I would consider calm but also not bad. I think that we are just going against the currents in this directions which makes it seem rougher. Thru last night into this morning we are going at full speed but it does feel as though he has brought it down just a bit this afternoon. It feels like it is about 80ish out and the sun is shining but quite a few clouds. After I got off the internet last night I came back to the cabin and was able to get a phone line out to call SW Airlines I was able to change our flight and even got an agent to give me the web only pricing so it was lower. The problem that the SW web site does not tell you is that you cannot change the second leg of a trip with out totally canceling and the repurchasing a one way. Why their web site let's you click on change itinerary make the change select the new date and flight go all the way thru to pay thens says Oops there is a problem is beyound me. But I guess this is just a great learning experience. After knowing we got our flight changed I was able to sleep of course this was about 12:30 and a read a bit before i went to sleep. Tom and I both slept in till almost 9 this morning. I got up put my bathing suit on and attemtped to look presentable and Tom and I headed to the Lido before I went to the Thermal Suite to meet up with our Spa friends.

It is weird I often like having the Pinnacle for Breakfast but so far this cruise we have only been there twice mostly due to the fact I have used the Thermal Suite/ Hydrotherapy pool many times in the morning. Speaking of going to the Spa I have wanted to mention that I know there have been thread about people wearing robes to the Lido, well I have to say blame it on the spa. I remember a time a few years ago that if you had any spa treatments or even went to the Thermal Suite they provided you with a robe. They now tell you that when using the spa or having an appointment to please wear to the spa the robe that is provided for you in you cabin. I think by doing this it just encourages more people to be walking around in their robes. OK I persoanlly do no do this so I have a nice rather long to my knees heavy black terry cloth cover up that has a hood on it that I wear with my flip flops. I think it looks a bit more respectable out and about on the ship. So this morning we headed up to the Lido, I had a tasty shrimp, onion and tomato omelet with banana slices and a cup of grapefruit juice. Then headed to the Hydro-therapy pool. I was in there about 2 hours and 20 minutes chatting, then went over to the Thermal Suite till about 12:30 With a longer cruise such as this we have gotten to know many more of our CC Roll Call members and some of them also frequent the spa so have been busy chatting.

After the Spa I headed back to the cabin, it was nice out on the verandah so decided to sit out there and read. Tom decided he was going to head to the Lido and asked I was something, thought one of the Panni Reuben sandwiches sounded good. He comes back with the sandwich and says "Here you are Mam Lisa if you wish anything else I am your cabin Steward Tommy" Now if I can get him to keep that up once we are home ;) Problem is there is No Lido to run to for him to get food to bring to me.

I have to admit I am so thrilled we have this Corner Aft Suite, with all these Sea days we have really enjoyed this verandah and the whole suite so much more. I really love the Sea days and even after as many as we have had still think they are great.

Tonight we will of course head down to dinner at 5:30, then the show tonight is Matilda with Patrick Murray. Patrick Murray is a ventriloquist and I cannot say if I have seem him or not. I know I have seen Mike Robinson who is also very good but not sure about seeing Matilda so I guess we shall see. I think there are still some confusion as to what we will be doing what night and which night will be Formal night so I guess I will keep you updated.

I wll sign off for now.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Oosterdam.

I have a friend who thought death was about to happen for over 20 years. He never completed his bucket list because every day he believed he was going to die.

The passengers do not decide to turn ships around. There are only a few days on this cruise that would have caused the ship to have to back track. A day or two out of S.D. and just after leaving Hawaii. Not every diversion causes a delay. We unexpectedly went to Bermuda on a TA and because of the weather and ocean conditions we were not delayed.

Sorry for those of you having to reschedule and those loosing a day on the water.

Lisa, it's been enjoyable reading your posts. Diana and I hope to do a cruise to Hawaii one of these days when our work schedules both allow it.

As you know, we board the Oosterdam in just eight weeks. Do you know if Joel Mason will still be on board? Diana is hoping that he will be and that he will be the featured entertainment for New Years Eve--what a party that would be!

It was nice to hear that you enjoyed Canelletto We really enjoyed it last summer on the Westerdam and we were hoping it would be good on the Oosterdam also.

Enjoy your extended stay on the Oosterdam! (I think we already know that you will!)

That's great, but when it impacts the lives of thousands of others who have to change flights, call work or petsitters or grandparents sitting the kids and make new arrangements, and potentially much worse, not to mention impacting the lives of almost a couple thousand who are now missing out on 1/7 of their cruise vacation and will have to be bussed around Southern California with their luggage to various hotels, then IMO their attitude is a bit selfish.

Sounds like you need your own private yacht ----- this way you won't miss any of your perfect vacation !!!! Geez, get real !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Carol, I was able to talk to her this afternoon as well as Tom was also able to call into work.

We are now able to relax since everything is taken care.:)

Hi Lisa...just wanted to thank you for all you are providing here for our future (2-4-12) O to Hawaii. It's good to see when the formal nights are and how great the Thermo Pool is utilized...I will have to look into it for sure.

You mentioned drinking wine at dinner. Do you know if the ship has specials on buying a wine bottle package where they keep it for you if you don't finish at the table? Or are you just buying it buy the glass or a liquor card? I don't know what we should do. When we were on the Eurodam you could buy a wine card that was good for so many punches.....a better deal price wise also compared to the drink package they sell now for 100 dollars worth for 90. It probably equals out in the end, who knows?

Prayers are said for your sick passengers, the problems for those arriving and for speedy fixes for those leaving....enjoy your extra day.

I'm enjoying your live reporting. Thank you for your efforts and I appreciate the exapense of doing so.

I was looking forward to seeing the O as I'm downtown at a conference. However, it ends Saturday so I'll miss you/her until December when I board.

Safe travels.

For those 700+ guests who are arriving on Saturday, the hotels that Holland America has secured are all close by. Here is the list:

Sheraton Harbor and Marina

Manchester Grand Hyatt

Marriott Marquis

Airport Hilton

The America's Cup Regatta starts the following weekend; however, some teams are here and practicing.

David

For those 700+ guests who are arriving on Saturday, the hotels that Holland America has secured are all close by. Here is the list:

Manchester Grand Hyatt

Marriott Marquis

Airport Hilton

The America's Cup Regatta starts the following weekend; however, some teams are here and practicing.

David

The Sheraton Harbor and Marina is a nice place. I stayed there three years ago last month when I did Hawaii on the Zaandam.

Thursday November 3, 2011

Greetings from the MS Oosterdam, where at 3pm this afternoon we finally hit the half way mark from Hawaii to San Diego. And while we finally hit the halfway mark we were enjoying a fun afternoon in the Captain's Corner of the Crow's Nest with our 2nd CC Meet and Greet. While not quite as many as the first still a very good turn out with a lot of laughs. Douglas Hernandez the Hotel Manager was there to greet us and also provided Mimosas which was such a nice gesture.

It has actually been rather nice knowing we have this extra day. We have done a lot of relaxing and reading. We have actually been so relaxed that Tom and I slept in till 10:38 this morning but to be far we set the clocks forward and hour so it really was 9:38 the from day before. I went down to the spa for just a short time this morning, then came back to the cabin. Tom came in a bit later and I said how about going to the Pinnacle for lunch today so I called down to see if we could go about 12:30 which would give me enough time to get showered and dressed. I always enjoy the Pinnacle for lunch but I always order the same thing so today thought I would be a bit different. I ordered the Pinnacle Burger, of course I could not go there for lunch with out having the 5 Onion Soup then instead of the Orange Lime Pana Cotta I got the Strawberries and Raspberry Sorbet. The Burger was just OK I have had far worse but we have had better in the Pinnacle, you could tell there was fillers in the burger but at least it was still tasty, the soup was excellent and better than it was a few days ago when it seemed like it needed more salt or seasoning. But unfortunately the dessert was rather sad and I did not even think about it when I ordered it. The strawberries were no longer fresh and probably had been frozen but rather sad looking. But this is totally to be expected on day 13. After lunch we ran up to the cabin to grab my camera so we could get a nice group picture of our CC Group. There were 6 of us that sat and talked till almost 5 pm. Then even another person who I had met on the HAL Facebook Roll Call that was not part of CC found me and we started talking. She is actually sitting at our same table for the late seating.

After leaving the Crow's Nest just before 5 I headed down to the Future Cruise Consultants Desk to purchase two Future Cruise Deposits so I could get that out of the way. Then while we still had free Internet I wanted to quick download a book that Tom had read on his nook to my nook that is a Dean Koontz called Watcher. I normally like James Patterson but have ready everything I already had purchased and downloaded and Tom thinks I might like this one. Then we went to dinner, everyone at our table except me had the New York Steak which they said was really good I was different and had the Blackened Basa Fillet Oaxaca-style. It was excellent, the fish was very moist and sweet. Not at all dry and the salsa on it was very good. Tonight's show is the Oosterdam singers and dancers in Stage and Screen. I know we have seen this show several times so we decided to pass so I could come up here to write and then get this posted this evening.

Tomorrow I will need to set a wake up call because I have an appointment for a mini facial and Hot stone massage, then tomorrow night is the last Formal night as well as Joel Mason and Friends show.

Yes, Joel and his adorable wife Bonnie will be on board all of next week and the beginning of the next Hawaii cruise till Honolulu. Then will return to the Oosterdam November 26th for a few weeks. I will find out how long he will be on after November 26th.

I am sorry if I am starting to sound boring this is day 4 of Sea Days with two more to go, I feel sorry for those that do not enjoy Sea Days, I actually love them and think they go by too quickly but I guess they do when you sleep in till 10:30 in the morning ;)

We are hearing word that the passengers that were medivaced off the ship are all continuing to do well, I believe the Captain said that one or two of them were well enough to be flown to a hospital in the home town in the mainland.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Oosterdam.

Hi Lisa - as always, we're really enjoy your live reports. Just catching up with them today, as we got home from our Westerdam trip on Saturday and then went for a few day stay in your fair city, leaving my normal deposit. Sounds like you and Tom are having a wonderful cruise on the Oosterdam. Brings back memories of just a couple of weeks earlier on our cruise. Can't say enough about the Westerdam, we had a fantastic time. Looking forward to the rest of your reports and hoping your sick passengers are doing better.

Manchester Grand Hyatt

Marriott Marquis

Airport Hilton

David

I've been thinking about all the incoming passengers and what a problem that could be for them. You mentioned "700+" passengers getting a place to stay until Sunday's boarding. With close to 2,000 passengers on the ship are these just the people who booked air etc. from HAL? I know there would be those who stay on the ship from the Hawaii tour but just curious who HAL helps. Thanks.

Archived