What gift can I bring?

NorbertsNiece

I'm meeting up with some cruise buddies from the US for my next cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. I would like to bring them a gift. Now I know I can't bring alcohol on board with me so please help me with ideas of what British goodies I could bring with that won't get confiscated. Cheers.

Have you thought about UK brands of perfume/room spray/candles, tea, tea towels, calendars, marmite (that'll blow their minds!!!), marmalade, christmas crackers (seem to be unknown in the US), sweets (everton mints, Cadbury's Chocolate, etc.....our US cousins love Dairy Milk).

Have you thought about UK brands of perfume/room spray/candles, tea, tea towels, calendars, marmite (that'll blow their minds!!!), marmalade, christmas crackers (seem to be unknown in the US), sweets (everton mints, Cadbury's Chocolate, etc.....our US cousins love Dairy Milk).

Hi and thanks for the quick response!! Sitting here watching X Factor.... Christmas Crackers won't be allowed on the plane unfortunately. Cadbury's sounds like a great idea! Marmite..... I want to keep these guys as friends!!! Lol.

Hi and thanks for the quick response!! Sitting here watching X Factor.... Christmas Crackers won't be allowed on the plane unfortunately. Cadbury's sounds like a great idea! Marmite..... I want to keep these guys as friends!!! Lol.

Christmas crackers can go in your checked luggage. For Oasis Inaugural I had sent some over to the US beforehand as I wasn't sure about taking them over on the plane but I checked later with the airline as I had some left over and I was told I could put them in my checked luggage....and I didnt have any problems. I got the small ones..that way they didnt take up too much space in suitcase. :D

Fridge magnets are popular item over the pond :D

How about Fudge or something similar...I usually take some Scottish Tablet...or Rock. :D

Cool ideas. Suggesting Thorntons had me think of Hotel Chocolat.... they do those dipping chocolate tray gift boxes... they could have them for sailaway as I know they will be on their balcony with a glass or 2.... I could pack crackers for the first night dinner we're all having.... wonder how that will go down with the maitre d'!

Edit : Thank you so much for the tip about crackers... just checked the BA website.... was sure I had heard they were prohibited,.. well they are in hand baggage.... so happy bunny here

Will get shortbread for the cabin crawl.....

The house next to mine is owned by Brits and we care for it while they aren't in town. She always brings me a small gift when she comes over "the Pond." My favorites have been a tin of biscuits from Harrods and tea towels also from Harrods.

You're obviously talking about "goodies" as food.

Last year we made friends on our roll-call from Wales, Scotland, and England. They all brought over travel ideas for us - ie. where to go, what to see etc. in their country (pamphlets,maps - touristy stuff). It was great, cause I can't get that kind of info here. Really makes me want to go and see it all !!

Now... your friends may already know all this stuff and just want the 'goodies' that we can't get here??

The house next to mine is owned by Brits and we care for it while they aren't in town. She always brings me a small gift when she comes over "the Pond." My favorites have been a tin of biscuits from Harrods and tea towels also from Harrods.

Awww that's so sweet :) I've bought small Harrods logo items in the past as gift exchange items but these folk are special and I would ideally have loved to have bought him a bottle of fine whiskey.

When the wife has gone to visit friends in the US, she's often given a Red Cross parcel list to take out with her.

It usually consists of things like Galaxy chocolate bars, Jaffa cakes, CurlyWurlys, mint sauce, Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce..

Will admit the last time she went, we also sorted out a little parcel for a friend of mine who had moved out to Nevada, and sent him some jaffa cakes, HP Sauce, but as a joke a Pot Noodle (Bombay Bad Boy)..

Always thought it would be a fair swap for the wife to take sauces out for her friends, so that when she comes back she can bring back plenty of A1 Steak Sauce.. yum..

Good luck..

ScrozUK

When the wife has gone to visit friends in the US, she's often given a Red Cross parcel list to take out with her.

It usually consists of things like Galaxy chocolate bars, Jaffa cakes, CurlyWurlys, mint sauce, Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce..

Will admit the last time she went, we also sorted out a little parcel for a friend of mine who had moved out to Nevada, and sent him some jaffa cakes, HP Sauce, but as a joke a Pot Noodle (Bombay Bad Boy)..

Always thought it would be a fair swap for the wife to take sauces out for her friends, so that when she comes back she can bring back plenty of A1 Steak Sauce.. yum..

Good luck..

ScrozUK

Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce sauce is readily available in every grocery store in the US.

PG Tips, Twinings, Walkers Shortbreads, McCann's Oatmeal, and any number of Heinz products are all fairly easy to find here as well.

Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce sauce is readily available in every grocery store in the US.

PG Tips, Twinings, Walkers Shortbreads, McCann's Oatmeal, and any number of Heinz products are all fairly easy to find here as well.

True, it would be hard to come up with something that you can't find in the US; several of the grocery stores in our area even have a UK section. And, you can find almost anything edible mentioned at Cost Plus.

It can be hard to find British sweets here, not withstanding Cadbury.

Non-food items I've gotten from UK friends that I loved were tea towels with the Harrods Westie and others with the tube map, a tea pot from Scotland, small Portmeirion, Royal Albert, and Waterford pieces, and a tea cozy and matching napkins.

Friends were pleased with our package from the Lake District- gingerbread, rum butter, Kendal mint cake and a recipe book of local food.

Oh, and a Mrs Tiggywinkle.

I have to find a gift for someone in Pennsylvania. every year, with a Border Collie on it- daughter takes the miniature one to bed, and has various ornaments round her room, now. I'm trying to source some coasters with joke BCs for this year.

Jo.

I'm meeting up with some cruise buddies from the US for my next cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. I would like to bring them a gift. Now I know I can't bring alcohol on board with me so please help me with ideas of what British goodies I could bring with that won't get confiscated. Cheers.

Hi NorbertsNiece,

We had the same gift exchange on Equinox last year sailing from Ft L

I brought one of those cute teddy bears dressed as a Beefeater,

as you live in London they should be quite easy to find, but at

the Weekend when visiting Windsor one stall owner who sells

these said the Police Teddy Bears are her biggest seller with US Visitors , I also picked up OK Magazine

as it was the Engagement Of Kate and William , which they loved I could have sold tons of these !!!!! so maybe something along those lines, Good Luck,

Mrs Blue Sky

Just popped on and saw this thread. As has been said, we can get so many of the items suggested over here pretty easily. There are online stores that sell all kinds of foods and other products. I even found a store that sells bangers, made in the US but essentially the same as in the UK.

What we can't get is candy from Burnt Sugar which is owned by the son and daughter-in-law of UK (and CC) friends. Actually, I've been told it's sold in some whole foods stores bur not many.I wanted to try it so much that last year I had some shipped from England to me. It was delicious. I think they have a web site.

This thread keeps going with wonderful ideas.

ILoveScotland: Where in North Carolina are you? I have family in Asheville :)

Have found the Burnt Sugar website. Soooo interesting. Thanks for the heads up. They also have a Facebook page. Apparently one of my local supermarkets is a stockist so will definitely look for the product.

I'm actually looking for something a bit more substantial than one would normally give for a gift exchange.

My daughter recently visited London for the first time. We're in the U.S. She brought us a beefeater Christmas ornament, even though she went in the summer. Now every time we decorate the tree, we will see this beautiful ornament from one of her favorite trips ever. If it's something they can keep and bring out for a holiday or occasion, they'll always have a reminder of their friends from "across the pond".....

My daughter recently visited London for the first time. We're in the U.S. She brought us a beefeater Christmas ornament, even though she went in the summer. Now every time we decorate the tree, we will see this beautiful ornament from one of her favorite trips ever. If it's something they can keep and bring out for a holiday or occasion, they'll always have a reminder of their friends from "across the pond".....

I love the idea of a UK themed Christmas ornament!

NorbertsNiece, I live 15 miles north of Asheville. Have you visited this area?

Even if you don't buy candy from Burnt Sugar for M&M gift, hope you'll try it as it is very good.

Yes. I visited with my family (Woodfin area?) 2 years ago and had a wonderful time.

Archived