Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bwg03

Hurricane Rina

Recommended Posts

yikes - we cruise on Nov 7...looks like there is a tropical depression following Rina....I sure hope Rina doesn't mess us Cozumel.....:mad:

 

good luck to those of you sailing this week and next....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We leave on Monday (Oct 31) so it may be gone by then, maybe not, either way, I'll be on a ship, enjoying my DOD's, enjoying no laundry, cooking, cleaning or work, so hit or miss the ports, it will be a great time:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, gonna be on Allure next week. Luckily we are heading East. But I really wouldn't mind it if they went out and did a 7 day cruise-to-nowhere. That will just give me more time to explore the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you joined our roll call tmbrea66? We leave on the 3rd also! I think we'll be ok....praying!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be on the Carnival Destiny along with my DH and DS and we leave on the 27th. This is all of our first cruise. I have spent countless hours researching Cozumel and Key West. I've read a few post mentioning that the Bahamas would be the most probable itinerary change. We leave for Miami early Wednesday morning. I guess I better start researching the Bahamas. :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wow, and it is predicted to hit Key West and South Florida after Cozumel... I feel sorry for anyone booke this weekend and early next week.

 

Gee thanks!!!!! We leave Saturday on the Fascination for Key West and Nassau:eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Heald just posted on Facebook changes to the Liberty, Destiny, Triumph, Freedom,

Legend and Imagingation for this week. Nothing so far for next week. Carnival's site does not seem to be updated with the specifics yet.

 

Which facebook page does he do this on ? I tried finding it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Heald

So Hurricane Bastardirina has meant that we have had to cancel Grand Cayman and instead we will go straight to Ocho Rios on Wednesday and Grand Turk on Thursday. We are not alone though as we have changes for Carnival Destiny, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Legend and Carnival Imagination and a flock of migrating Lesser Spotted Canadian Geese that are changing colurse and heading to ...Michigan.

Seriously, its a huge task for our operations department to re schedule and book births for all these ships and as usual they have done a great job. I know many will ask about changes next week but so far none are planned and we shall wait and see what happens with the track of the storm, obviously keeping your safety as our top priority

 

http://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald

 

Hope this helps!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Argh, does this kind of thing ever affect boarding a ship if the hurrcane is closeby?

 

My question exactly. If it heads towards South Florida, what will that do to flights this weekend. I am more concerned about getting there than where the ship decides to go. I guess time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Canada/Maine is also an option.:)

 

Not this time of year, unless you want a riot. :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OH i'm so nervous. We leave out on Tuesday of next week and its our first cruise/honeymoon... That would suck if the weather were bad! I hope it gets better this week! They said that it should skip over the gulf because the water temperature isn't ideal. So maybe it will skip on over central mexico and leave florida and the carribean alone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have friends leaving out of Galveston today on Triumph scheduled to go the Progreso and then Cozumel. I'm curious to see how they re-route them. Maybe switch and do Cozumel first if there is time before the storm gets too close? I am not sure what the alternate destinations could be on a 5 day.

 

I have friends on that same cruise, and it is their first cruise. I just hope they don't end up having a bad time and get turned off cruising. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have friends on that same cruise, and it is their first cruise. I just hope they don't end up having a bad time and get turned off cruising. :(

 

I think the folks on Triumph will be ok- they are early into their journey and just off the cost of Texas a few hundred miles- they have time to make decisions on possible itinerary changes- its the 4 ships in Cozumel right now Im concerned with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My question exactly. If it heads towards South Florida, what will that do to flights this weekend. I am more concerned about getting there than where the ship decides to go. I guess time will tell.

i'm sharing your worries :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

reading how y'all are so glad you aren't sailing this week...like me, set to sail out of New Orleans on 10/27 with a scheduled, won't happen 10/29 Cozumel port day. I voted for 10/31 5-day, but alas the majority rejected my request for a Halloween sailing of two ports and five days. Thus, we have no where safe to go to port as an alternative. I am going with hard-headed old classmates. This was to be my first cruise with my grandson. I was so excited. Anyone know what it would take for insurance to kick in? Would cruise to nowhere be enough? When would they tell us? I can't postpone without insurance, as I fought for my life to get credits from Carnival, and they expire 11/6 or 11/19 (depending on what day we ask...).

 

Any info would be appreciated. There is no way to sail to any port, and I'd rather have a good trip than to sail in circles around the gulf. I want to go to a pretty beach with my grandson! Thanks! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't panic yet, the track is not set in stone and is likely to change. There is a good possibility that Rina will go ashore well South of Cozumel and dissipate over land. Right now she appears to be nearly stalled. Just go and assume you will have a good time... and you probably will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reading how y'all are so glad you aren't sailing this week...like me, set to sail out of New Orleans on 10/27 with a scheduled, won't happen 10/29 Cozumel port day. I voted for 10/31 5-day, but alas the majority rejected my request for a Halloween sailing of two ports and five days. Thus, we have no where safe to go to port as an alternative. I am going with hard-headed old classmates. This was to be my first cruise with my grandson. I was so excited. Anyone know what it would take for insurance to kick in? Would cruise to nowhere be enough? When would they tell us? I can't postpone without insurance, as I fought for my life to get credits from Carnival, and they expire 11/6 or 11/19 (depending on what day we ask...).

 

Any info would be appreciated. There is no way to sail to any port, and I'd rather have a good trip than to sail in circles around the gulf. I want to go to a pretty beach with my grandson! Thanks! ;)

 

Be positive--- I think its too early to tell anything yet. I hope the outcome is favorable for everyone. Current cruisers and future cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reading how y'all are so glad you aren't sailing this week...like me, set to sail out of New Orleans on 10/27 with a scheduled, won't happen 10/29 Cozumel port day. I voted for 10/31 5-day, but alas the majority rejected my request for a Halloween sailing of two ports and five days. Thus, we have no where safe to go to port as an alternative. I am going with hard-headed old classmates. This was to be my first cruise with my grandson. I was so excited. Anyone know what it would take for insurance to kick in? Would cruise to nowhere be enough? When would they tell us? I can't postpone without insurance, as I fought for my life to get credits from Carnival, and they expire 11/6 or 11/19 (depending on what day we ask...).

 

Any info would be appreciated. There is no way to sail to any port, and I'd rather have a good trip than to sail in circles around the gulf. I want to go to a pretty beach with my grandson! Thanks! ;)

 

I think if they don't notify you beforehand, you're SOL.

 

More likely than not you'll get a sheet when you board. It's pretty close to your sailing.

 

They do need to change that rule, though, when it comes to storm situations. The lines should just refuse to sail in season out of places that can be cut off by weather.

 

If the entrance to the Carribean is cut off, there's no foreign port the boats can sail to.

Edited by Blurgh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...