Cruise Critic Community
bwg03

Hurricane Rina

This storm is only moving 3 MPH! Crazy~ So that means Cozumel by Thursdayish? Lot can change before now and then- lets hope for the BEST scenario.

3 days ago we made a decision to go to the Royal Palms beach resort in Grand Cayman during our port day there in Dec. and started checking out their webcams each day to see how crowded the beach is and it's been completely empty for 3 days straight because it's been raining there for 3 days straight. The Reef Grill open air restaurant & bar there has been closed all 3 days too. I wondered why they were getting so much rain as I hadn't heard anything about this hurricane until today which explained it. Hope it clears up soon for all of those cruising in the near future. For this reason and this reason only, I'm glad we're almost 6 weeks away and not cruising during hurricane season as we have 4 ports of call that I'm looking forward to being on beaches, on boats and in sunshine. Plus, I want to stop at all of the ports. I don't think cruisers were able to tender in Cayman today.

I am on the Nov. 6 Exotic Western Caribbean cruise on the Valor. While I would love to make it to all of the ports, if the weather decides to pour at all the ports I would not mind Carnival changing the ports if we could hit better weather. I am starting to watch the projected weather at the 4 ports and am just seeing never ending rain. I may plan on cancelling my pre-booked excursions and waiting until I am on board to decide if I want to book any. I don't want to be committed to anything until I know what the weather is going to be like. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Have two of your favorite cruise DOD's and check the weather in the morning. :)

......And if you don't like what you see have 2 more for breakfast! :D

Edited by James in SA

GREAT ADVICE DOC!!! hahahahaha!!!

Hahaha love it!!

It is too soon to tell if that storm is coming to Florida.......too soon......folks here aren't even batting eyelashes....yet...

reading how y'all are so glad you aren't sailing this week...like me, set to sail out of New Orleans on 10/27 with a scheduled, won't happen 10/29 Cozumel port day. I voted for 10/31 5-day, but alas the majority rejected my request for a Halloween sailing of two ports and five days. Thus, we have no where safe to go to port as an alternative. I am going with hard-headed old classmates. This was to be my first cruise with my grandson. I was so excited. Anyone know what it would take for insurance to kick in? Would cruise to nowhere be enough? When would they tell us? I can't postpone without insurance, as I fought for my life to get credits from Carnival, and they expire 11/6 or 11/19 (depending on what day we ask...).

Any info would be appreciated. There is no way to sail to any port, and I'd rather have a good trip than to sail in circles around the gulf. I want to go to a pretty beach with my grandson! Thanks! ;)

I am getting married on this ship in New Orleans on Thursday. We have 66 non-sailing guests and 59 sailing guests. Someone from Carnival called me today and told me they would not make any decisions til Wednesday. I'm fine with a cruise to nowhere.

I know someone who went out of New Orleans last year and it became a cruise to nowhere... they were offered a full refund if they did not want to go. And if they went, they were given 50% off of their next cruise. I doubt that is what we would be offered, but it would be nice. It is a case by case determination.

I'm in constant communication with both my vacation planner and wedding coordinator. I will post back if I hear anything.

If Rina manages to move out of the Western Caribbean before the Nov. 4th-5th weekend so that the ships can keep their regular itineraries, do you think that the impact of the storm will really mess up the snorkeling sites (particuarly in Roatan and Belize)? I am really looking forward to snorkeling in Belize but am now wondering how good it will be because there will not be a lot of time for the water to settle down. :o

If Rina manages to move out of the Western Caribbean before the Nov. 4th-5th weekend so that the ships can keep their regular itineraries, do you think that the impact of the storm will really mess up the snorkeling sites (particuarly in Roatan and Belize)? I am really looking forward to snorkeling in Belize but am now wondering how good it will be because there will not be a lot of time for the water to settle down. :o

Great question. I'm sure snorkeling will take a hit as well

For some added fun, it's increasingly likely the eastern disturbance will develop as it starts to head towards the same area Rina is in.

We fly Nov 4 from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale and board the Carnival Freedom Sat Nov 5. Is it possible Hurricane Rina could still be causing an impact on travel/cruising? Did I read that there is another disturbance in the East?

Kathy

For some added fun, it's increasingly likely the eastern disturbance will develop as it starts to head towards the same area Rina is in.

There's another disturbance behind Rina??

I think the last hurricane to directly hit Cozumel destroyed the piers where the cruise ships docked? I know they had to completely rebuild one of them. If Cozumel takes a bad enough hit it may also destroy infrastructure, buildings, and kill many residents. Electrical power and services may be seriously disrupted for weeks. Let's pray for those in its path.

i am getting married on this ship in new orleans on thursday. We have 66 non-sailing guests and 59 sailing guests. Someone from carnival called me today and told me they would not make any decisions til wednesday. I'm fine with a cruise to nowhere.

I know someone who went out of new orleans last year and it became a cruise to nowhere... They were offered a full refund if they did not want to go. And if they went, they were given 50% off of their next cruise. I doubt that is what we would be offered, but it would be nice. It is a case by case determination.

I'm in constant communication with both my vacation planner and wedding coordinator. I will post back if i hear anything.

congratulations and enjoy your special day!

Yes there is now another disturbance behind Rina....

Ok... all of my booked excursions are refundable, no problem. I don't care if we float around the Caribbean as long as there is sun and calm seas! :eek:

... and it would be very nice to swap the exotic western for visits to San Juan, St. Thomas (St. John), Tortola (Jost Van Dyke), St. Marteen, and St. Kitts again (OK Carnival?!?) :p

Next couple of weeks are going to be wet and wild for all Western C cruisers,regardless of which ship or crusie line you are on, and could effect arrivals and departures in south Florida or Gulf ports.

Be flexible, but don't get panicy.

I leave on the Conquest Sunday! I was on Conquest last sept, and due to weather we missed Jamaica AND Grand cayman! The Crazies still had a wonderful time and made the best of it!

OOHH EMMMM GEEEE!!!! :eek::eek:

Check out the webcam from the Liberty:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_liberty/default.aspx?shipCode=LI

On the landing page, click on this picture:

webcam.gif

Looks like she's heading towards Grand Cayman after a stop yesterday in cozumel?

The Lido deck webcam is not working today (it was yesterday), just the one on the front of the ship is working.

Edited by ibcnusoon

They say its a small storm that will strengthen quickly and fizzle quickly. Happy sailing. Hopefully it will be gone and no other behind it when we sail Nov 6th

Who would have thought this late in the season one storm would impact so many cruises . We usually cruise in early Oct. just got back from the Victory . All the sites I use kept forecasting a disturbance like this in the gulf but eveyone said they were just crying wolf. I even backed next years up to the first week of Nov. figured that would even safer , guess you never know. We have always been lucky never even missed a stop in 13 cruises.

Good luck to all of you sailing next , may you find calm seas and sunshine. :)

John Heald

Seriously, its a huge task for our operations department to re schedule and book births for all these ships and as usual they have done a great job.

Could they use the services of a midwife? I have always wondered where those cabin cruisers came from!:D