Cruise Critic Community
bwg03

Hurricane Rina

I am getting married on this ship in New Orleans on Thursday. We have 66 non-sailing guests and 59 sailing guests. Someone from Carnival called me today and told me they would not make any decisions til Wednesday. I'm fine with a cruise to nowhere.

I know someone who went out of New Orleans last year and it became a cruise to nowhere... they were offered a full refund if they did not want to go. And if they went, they were given 50% off of their next cruise. I doubt that is what we would be offered, but it would be nice. It is a case by case determination.

I'm in constant communication with both my vacation planner and wedding coordinator. I will post back if I hear anything.

Really excited to hear your happy news...yes, I would accept a cruise to nowhere and a 50% credit. I will be with a group of former classmates and have my 3 y.o. grandson along, as well. So rescheduling requires...much ado.

EEkkk!!! I'm nervous now!!! We fly in from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Florida on the 4th of November and sail on the Dream on the 5th. I REALLY hope we do not get stuck in the storm!!!! :(

A few years back when Hurricane Wilma caused such havoc, my niece and I were onboard the Star Princess with a Western Carib itinerary, changed to Eastern C. Rumor was that the ship was going to hole up in San Juan, PR, for a couple days until the storm passed from FLL -- but at the last minute Wilma stalled over the Yucatan peninsula and we were able to make it into to FLL. It was a quick debarkation, turnaround, and the ship was loaded and out before the storm came. We were actually looking forward to an extended cruise at no cost to us! It's all very exciting, and my niece and I had a good cruise anyway.

The point I'm trying to make (albeit lamely) is if you are cruising during hurricane season and need Rx, take extra medical supplies in case your cruise is delayed/extended.

I'm hoping the storm fizzles and everyone has a wonderful cruise!

I would expect some additional cruise itineraries to be altered in the next day or two.

I would expect some additional cruise itineraries to be altered in the next day or two.

Has any cruise been altered yet?

I leave on the Conquest Sunday! I was on Conquest last sept, and due to weather we missed Jamaica AND Grand cayman! The Crazies still had a wonderful time and made the best of it!

is this the cruise where some crazies sat in the atrium trying to make fun of those that were making a stink about the lack of ports, instead of having a wonderful time and making the best of it?

Hows the Carnival Legend going to get back to Tampa by Sunday if this thing keeps meandering around?

According to the above link her adjusted itinerary is:

"...on a seven-night cruise from Tampa, will switch its calls on Belize and Cozumel, visiting the former on Tuesday and the latter on Wednesday. It will also call on Progreso on Thursday instead of Roatan and swap Friday's planned Grand Cayman visit with a sea day."

I can't see her hitting Cozumel or Progresso at all. Maybe Grand Cayman, then what?

I think this storm is going to shoot southeast after the yucatan.. Tampa should be interesting

This is a stupid question but...So do you really think that the depression after Rina will follow her path?? It looks like its mostly affecting the western caribbean, does that mean that the Eastern Caribbean will not have any disturbance at all or will you still feel it? We leave on Nov. 5th... just curious

It is exactly where Rita came from. I wouldnt be surprised.. Only hope and wonder now..

We are on Destiny Thursday too! Not sure what will happen as it should hit South Florida by weekend so our paths either direction arent real promising.:eek:

This is a stupid question but...So do you really think that the depression after Rina will follow her path?? It looks like its mostly affecting the western caribbean, does that mean that the Eastern Caribbean will not have any disturbance at all or will you still feel it? We leave on Nov. 5th... just curious

Not a stupid question -

As for the Eastern being sunny and calm when the Western has a storm -- it's possible, that is exactly what happened when our itinerary was changed due to Hurricane Wilma in Oct 2005.

Hoping for the best for your cruise!!

Edited by GloriaF

Not a stupid question -

As for the Eastern being sunny and calm when the Western has a storm -- it's possible, that is exactly what happened when our itinerary was changed due to Hurricane Wilma in Oct 2005.

Hoping for the best for your cruise!!

actually, i thought a low sucked everything it could behind it.

The low behind Rina is projected to take a similar path, however they're prediciting it will make the turn to the east sooner missing the Yucatan. For now that's what they're predicting anyways, you know how that goes.

I hope the hurricane stays on the sea and does not go over any land. I'd rather have my vacation affected than other people's houses and lives uprooted.

Anyway as usual I have crummy luck with cruise weather. Looks like chances are high that I will have an altered route. Bummer! Especially since I cruise mainly for the ports. Oh well. :cool: But with any luck, they may re-route me to a nice private island. :D

But what a year! They weren't kidding when they promised a hurricane "high" year. For once, the meteorologists were actually correct. ;)

Edited by genegri

Expect that any cruise going to the Western Caribbean cruising a route north of Cuba and through the straits of Florida to NOT being going that way at least through Sunday.

Expect that any cruise going to the Western Caribbean cruising a route north of Cuba and through the straits of Florida to NOT being going that way at least through Sunday.

Any idea on where they may send a cruise leaving Thursday for Key West, Coz 4 days?

Any idea on where they may send a cruise leaving Thursday for Key West, Coz 4 days?

What is your departure port?

You can check here tomorrow: http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/Default.aspx

Today, ships scheduled for Cozumel went:

Carnival Legend Belize City, Belize - Was Cozumel - Storm Deviation 10-25-2011 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines Carnival Inspiration Progreso, Merida, Mexico - Was Cozumel - Storm Deviation 10-25-2011 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines Carnival Destiny At Sea - Was Grand Cayman - Storm Deviation 10-25-2011 - -

Depending on cruise line you'll most likely hit Nassau, Freeport, and a private island like Coco Cay (RCI) or Great Stirrup Cay (NCL). If its Carnival expect a day at sea after two Bahamas port stops.

That is unless this hurricane continues along projected path towards the Keys, south Florida (Miami), and the Bahamas for Saturday and Sunday landfalls, then expect all h*ll to break loose!

Sorry about your luck. :(

Edited by dmwnc1959

Miami On Thursday....Carnival Destiny

Carnival Destiny is scheduled for Key West Friday 7:30am-2pm and the hurricane will have already cleared the Yucatan Peninsula. There's a very small chance you may still be going to Key West and after that most likely a Sea Day followed by Nassau or Freeport before returning to Miami on Sunday. Otherwise my previous scenario is more likely.

Edited by dmwnc1959