Cruise Critic Community
bwg03

Hurricane Rina

I will keep you updated on Belize if we keep power...I am off to work at the San Pedro Airstrip...All flights in and out of Belize as well as domestic flights operated normal. The only exception was the water taxi to Chetumal. It did not operate and was used to evacuate people to the mainland. So Tropic Airs flights to Corzol were extra busy.

Rina did not strengthen overnight and shear is likely to increase. Hopefully we are seeing the max strength today and a gradual weakening should occur over the next few days.

I am getting married on this ship in New Orleans on Thursday. We have 66 non-sailing guests and 59 sailing guests. Someone from Carnival called me today and told me they would not make any decisions til Wednesday. I'm fine with a cruise to nowhere.

I know someone who went out of New Orleans last year and it became a cruise to nowhere... they were offered a full refund if they did not want to go. And if they went, they were given 50% off of their next cruise. I doubt that is what we would be offered, but it would be nice. It is a case by case determination.

I'm in constant communication with both my vacation planner and wedding coordinator. I will post back if I hear anything.

Ms. G, heard anything yet, dawlin'? It seems obvious we are headed to a cruise to nowhere given today's forecast and the proximity of our sailing. I would love to hear we are offered a 50% voucher and a cruise to nowhere. My classmates are waiting word from me via you... Are you getting married on the deck before we sail? And what are your names? :-)

According to the 12:45pm update from the National Hurricane Center, data from hurricane hunter aircraft shows that Rina has weakened significantly and is currently a Cat 1 with 85 mph sustained winds.

Satellite imagery comfirm that the structure has weakened considerably.

Thank you so much for the updated information. How will the wind shear affect the current situation? I am hoping it will help break up the storm so it will dissopate, any chance?:D

Ms. G, heard anything yet, dawlin'? It seems obvious we are headed to a cruise to nowhere given today's forecast and the proximity of our sailing. I would love to hear we are offered a 50% voucher and a cruise to nowhere. My classmates are waiting word from me via you... Are you getting married on the deck before we sail? And what are your names? :-)

The last I heard from Carnival was that they were waiting to see the damage to Cozumel and how quick the storm turns. It looks like they won't be making any decisions until after we set sail. No matter what happens, it will be a great cruise and we will have tons of fun.

We are getting married in port, but not on deck. It will be in the Blue Sapphire Lounge. My name is Morgan and my soon-to-be-husband is Gavin. We have quite a large group, so we won't be hard to miss!

Morgan, as I mentioned, I am also with a group of former classmates, only about a dozen, plus my toddler grandson who will be cruising along with us. Thanks for getting back with me. We have two women who flew in for the cruise. Within the past couple of hours, the hurricane hunters found Rina lessening in strength and downgraded her to a Cat 1 not long ago. The track was also changed a tad. I'm glad they have not made a decision yet because a decision made today could not be good news. Well...not unless a voucher was involved... My name is Allison and I know we will all have a wonderful time!

Rina is not a hurricane (unofficially). I expect that it will be downgraded later this morning. Seas should be coming down and the weakening trend will continue as Rina interacts with land.

Thank you so much for the updated information. How will the wind shear affect the current situation? I am hoping it will help break up the storm so it will dissopate, any chance?:D

Right on 4kittys

Oh gosh I hope everyone gets to cruise safely...we set out on the Legend out of Tampa on 11/6/11...hoping for smooth sailing :D

We are leaving for western carib 11/29 on Oasis. DH & I hoping to diverted to St. Maarten as that is our favorite island. Love the Jewelry Outlet there. We are not in Cozumel until Thurs I think, but RCCL may not want to be in rough waters with the tropical storm. Hey, I am not cooking or cleaning and gambling and drinking a little while being served, so what can be bad about it. Oasis is the destination for me. Having spent 5 days deathly ill on the Epic, I am prepared with meds and will "embrace" the sanitizing machines as 'my friend!' Keep checking the weather channel to see where the storm is. I am not as concerned about the storm, as I am w/ rough waters.:cool:

Ooops! Where's my mind? A mind is a terrible thing to waste!!!!

We are leaving tomorrow - Sat 10/29 for Oasis. Please let me know how the Legend is. We live near Tampa and would love to try it so we don't have to travel hours to get onto a cruise ship. PS-Tampa is a very user-friendly port as is the airport.:confused:

We are leaving for western carib 11/29 on Oasis. DH & I hoping to diverted to St. Maarten as that is our favorite island. Love the Jewelry Outlet there. We are not in Cozumel until Thurs I think, but RCCL may not want to be in rough waters with the tropical storm. Hey, I am not cooking or cleaning and gambling and drinking a little while being served, so what can be bad about it. Oasis is the destination for me. Having spent 5 days deathly ill on the Epic, I am prepared with meds and will "embrace" the sanitizing machines as 'my friend!' Keep checking the weather channel to see where the storm is. I am not as concerned about the storm, as I am w/ rough waters.:cool:

Ok, I know this is an ancient thread, but if you are still around, just curious how Oasis (RCCL) handled your cruise (re-route, cancel ports, etc.).

Thanks!