Cruise Critic Community
chill6x6

First NCL cruise- Spirit 10/14-10/23

Boy did I enjoy our cruise!

Of course I've read all the posts concerning NCL vs. CCL way before departure. LOTS of opinions out there. But there is really no way for someone to convey to another if it will be an enjoyable cruise or not. Everyone tastes, opinions, senses, even agendas, etc, all different. Both eager and somewhat apprehensive, we arrived to the cruise terminal via Hampton Inn shuttle.

I don't think I have ever had a shorter wait to board a ship. A little bit of a line to get the sign/sail card and that was about it. Once one walks onto the Grand Centrum, you can't help but think the Spirt is a beautiful ship. And really the more I was aboard, the more I appreciated the Spirit. I could write on and on but I just want to point out a few observations....

Cabin....

Oh yeah.... How many times have I read how SMALL NCL cabins were! Now it's TRUE....and it was so inconsequential I can't even believe it. Cabin number was 9632, balcony slightly aft of mid-ship. Once on the ship we decided to TRY to go right to the cabin to leave our carry-ons. This was all taking place about 12noon-1230 and walked right TO our cabin, no closed off hallways no nothing. Met our cabin steward and told us we were welcome to leave our stuff but he still needed to vacuum. Earliest I've EVER been able to go to our cabin. Of COURSE the cabin is slightly smaller than the typical CCL balcony. Beyond the first impression, it made no difference. Everything was great and the heating/cooling system even gave you the desired temperature! I think the actual BALCONY was larger than my CCL stateroom balconies. Our cabin steward, Romero, was an absolute 10! The best and most likable steward I've ever had. Room was always clean and he knew our names from the second we walked on the ship. The only negative I have about the cabin...no doubt the bed was not that comfortable...at least for me and unlike some I understand that is a matter of opinion.

Public rooms/rest rooms...

Cleanest I have ever seen. Even the restrooms close to the pool were practically spotless. Actually, the entire interior of the ship was spotless.

Dining....

Funny....REALLY funny.... First day I was on the ship....first MEAL on the ship....during LUNCH...still at Port NO......we were in the Windows dining room and I was eating a medium cooked ribeye steak I could cut with a fork...did I say at LUNCH???...thinking about all the absurd posts here on the board mentioning how BAD the food on NCL was! As I was eating one of the best tasting steaks I have eaten in a long time I really WAS laughing out loud! Do you wanna know how much better this ribeye was than a freakin' "flat-iron steak?" This food ROCKS! BOTH dining rooms ROCKED! The food AND service was IMO SUPERIOR to the last CCL cruises I have taken. I don't really know how I kept from choking while laughing and eating all the great food! AND.........................

Freestyle dining WORKS by GAWD! Completely without transition! When you want to eat...you go to the freakin' dining room! It's as simple as THAT! No lines, no fuss, no nothing! If you have on slacks, go to Windows...if shorts go to the Garden. It was GREAT! BTW....The Garden was ALWAYS packed for dinner...Windows...about 1/3 to 1/2 full..... Does that tell you anything? CCL DOES do one thing better generally...that's desserts... Good thing I was too stuffed to care! BREAKFAST....CCL Eggs Benedict is way better....BUT NCL omelette's were off the chain. The buffet food was equal to CCL on the barf meter btw... I've never understood the appeal of the buffet with two equally excellent and superior dining rooms right around the corner... Unfamiliar with them or apprehensive maybe?

MISC/OBSERVATIONS....

Lot's to cover here and it's gonna be jumbled sorry...

1. I understood the captain! This was the first cruise EVER where I actually understood the captain when he came on the PA! THANK YOU!! Hip hip HORRAY!!!! Note to other captains/ships/cruise lines.... IF the captain of the ship can not be understood by the average passenger...get someone else to do the speaking when necessary please..

2. Drinks... no DOUBT...alcohol was more expensive than on the CCL cruise last May....probably about 25%... I handled it by buying less than I normally would on a cruise...I sure didn't WANT to but I was more conscious than I have ever been with the price of drinks.

3. Ship exterior.... This was surprising... CCL spends WAY more time on the ships exterior than does NCL... If you're in port, someone is painting! From cleaning your balcony glass, dining room glass, hull paint, you name it...overall CCL ships are better maintained on the EXTERIOR.

4. Muster drill.. Such a small part of the cruise....I probably wouldn't mention it but.... Boy did I realize how much time CCL has been wasting of mine during the muster drill! You'd never know if you didn't try someone else. What a freakin' JOKE! Thank you NCL for taking care of business in a timely manner and not wasting the passengers time!

5. Entertainment... Lots and I mean LOTS of variation! I'm so glad I didn't have to see "Mr Bourbon St"....again. Every show honestly seemed more "professional" if you will.

6. Where are the other passengers??? Never and I mean NEVER did I feel like there were 3000 folks on this ship. In the past, I ALWAYS knew where they were, where ever I was! This was one of the awesome things about this ship. Even around the pool there always seemed to be plenty of space. Loved it!

7. Fellow passengers... I've never seen a better group of passengers! For the most part all courteous, polite, better acting, etc, etc. What was up with THAT? I don't know but it's TRUE!

8. Getting on and off the ship.... I gotta give NCL a 10...seriously. ANY port, ANY where. Boarding/disembarking in NO...never quicker. Getting back on board after a long excursion-filled day...super. No attitude filled security.... NCL does it better.

Now time to make you SICK with ENVY:

PA160081.JPG

PA170100.JPG

PA180109.JPG

PA210251.JPG

PA210259.JPG

PA200198.JPG

Overall....

I can't really say how much I enjoyed the NCL Spirit and this cruise. Without exception every concern and every worry I had about picking THIS ship and THIS cruise line seems so dang SILLY now. I really don't see where or how folks can come up with some of the stuff they come up with. Simply a FANTASTIC cruise and mostly a superior cruise to what I've had up to now. Can the Star possibly shine as brightly as the Spirit it shall replace in NO?

FINALLY....

Thanks to those of you that supplied me as well as others with a LOT of awesome advice, information, and ideas!

I think you really ENJOYED your SPIRIT cruise...that is FANTASTIC...we enjoyed ours in Sept 2008--she is a LOVELY ship--WELCOME TO NCL:)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Spirit was my favorite cruise so far!

I'm VERY jealous of your pictures- we are supposed to get ~ 6" of snow here tomorrow:eek:

Having only sailed NCL, I found your comparisons to CCL very helpful. Your overall impressions of NCL match my experiences with them. I love the Spirit, and really missed the Raffles Terrace area for relaxing & dining on my recent Dawn cruise, but otherwise the cruise experience was wonderful.

Another convert?? :D

NCL had better start building more ships in a hurry. This is becoming a trend!!!

I'm happy you loved your cruise. The Spirit was my first NCL cruise as well. She is a gorgeous ship. From my (limited, 5 cruise) experience I can say that any NCL cruise you take will make you feel the same exact way...absolutely giddy.

So when are you going to book another?? Did you buy a Future Cruise certificate???

Thanks for the review. What did you do at the ports? We leave in week and your review makes me more excited to get on the Spirit.:D

Thanks for the great review. I have sailed with NCL four times total on the Dawn and Gem but in two days it will be my first on the Spirit.I am now looking forward to the steak.LOL. I will post my review when I get back. Now I am off to the airport for two days of fun in NOLA.

Great review, so glad you had such a fabulous time.

Two interesting things of our experiences.

Our last captain on NCL was Captain Frumptabrich. OK not really but it was cute when he would come on the PA with "Good morning this is your Captain Gunner Frumptabrich (from the bridge)". We would smile every time he came on. Wonderful captain, friendly, funny and very nice. I guess it was sort of mean to laugh, but it was really, not in a mean way. Other than the slight accent he was very easy to understand.

The 2nd is regarding your comment about the exterior of the ship, our cruises there was always someone painting and cleaning, in a non-intrusive way of course. I can't compare it to CCL though. Our friends, who just returned from a cruise on the Pearl weren't quite as lucky in the non-intrusive way. When they entered their balcony cabin this was the first thing they saw. :eek: :D :D

1751793249_CopyofIMGP0814.jpg.522c1f18a5a41867363d261785c34c94.jpg

Of course I've read all the posts concerning NCL vs. CCL way before departure. LOTS of opinions out there. But there is really no way for someone to convey to another if it will be an enjoyable cruise or not. Everyone tastes, opinions, senses, even agendas, etc, all different. Both eager and somewhat apprehensive, we arrived to the cruise terminal via Hampton Inn shuttle.

I don't think I have ever had a shorter wait to board a ship. A little bit of a line to get the sign/sail card and that was about it. Once one walks onto the Grand Centrum, you can't help but think the Spirt is a beautiful ship. And really the more I was aboard, the more I appreciated the Spirit. I could write on and on but I just want to point out a few observations....

Cabin....

Oh yeah.... How many times have I read how SMALL NCL cabins were! Now it's TRUE....and it was so inconsequential I can't even believe it. Cabin number was 9632, balcony slightly aft of mid-ship. Once on the ship we decided to TRY to go right to the cabin to leave our carry-ons. This was all taking place about 12noon-1230 and walked right TO our cabin, no closed off hallways no nothing. Met our cabin steward and told us we were welcome to leave our stuff but he still needed to vacuum. Earliest I've EVER been able to go to our cabin. Of COURSE the cabin is slightly smaller than the typical CCL balcony. Beyond the first impression, it made no difference. Everything was great and the heating/cooling system even gave you the desired temperature! I think the actual BALCONY was larger than my CCL stateroom balconies. Our cabin steward, Romero, was an absolute 10! The best and most likable steward I've ever had. Room was always clean and he knew our names from the second we walked on the ship. The only negative I have about the cabin...no doubt the bed was not that comfortable...at least for me and unlike some I understand that is a matter of opinion.

Cleanest I have ever seen. Even the restrooms close to the pool were practically spotless. Actually, the entire interior of the ship was spotless.

Dining....

Funny....REALLY funny.... First day I was on the ship....first MEAL on the ship....during LUNCH...still at Port NO......we were in the Windows dining room and I was eating a medium cooked ribeye steak I could cut with a fork...did I say at LUNCH???...thinking about all the absurd posts here on the board mentioning how BAD the food on NCL was! As I was eating one of the best tasting steaks I have eaten in a long time I really WAS laughing out loud! Do you wanna know how much better this ribeye was than a freakin' "flat-iron steak?" This food ROCKS! BOTH dining rooms ROCKED! The food AND service was IMO SUPERIOR to the last CCL cruises I have taken. I don't really know how I kept from choking while laughing and eating all the great food! AND.........................

Freestyle dining WORKS by GAWD! Completely without transition! When you want to eat...you go to the freakin' dining room! It's as simple as THAT! No lines, no fuss, no nothing! If you have on slacks, go to Windows...if shorts go to the Garden. It was GREAT! BTW....The Garden was ALWAYS packed for dinner...Windows...about 1/3 to 1/2 full..... Does that tell you anything? CCL DOES do one thing better generally...that's desserts... Good thing I was too stuffed to care! BREAKFAST....CCL Eggs Benedict is way better....BUT NCL omelette's were off the chain. The buffet food was equal to CCL on the barf meter btw... I've never understood the appeal of the buffet with two equally excellent and superior dining rooms right around the corner... Unfamiliar with them or apprehensive maybe?

MISC/OBSERVATIONS....

1. I understood the captain! This was the first cruise EVER where I actually understood the captain when he came on the PA! THANK YOU!! Hip hip HORRAY!!!! Note to other captains/ships/cruise lines.... IF the captain of the ship can not be understood by the average passenger...get someone else to do the speaking when necessary please..

2. Drinks... no DOUBT...alcohol was more expensive than on the CCL cruise last May....probably about 25%... I handled it by buying less than I normally would on a cruise...I sure didn't WANT to but I was more conscious than I have ever been with the price of drinks.

3. Ship exterior.... This was surprising... CCL spends WAY more time on the ships exterior than does NCL... If you're in port, someone is painting! From cleaning your balcony glass, dining room glass, hull paint, you name it...overall CCL ships are better maintained on the EXTERIOR.

4. Muster drill.. Such a small part of the cruise....I probably wouldn't mention it but.... Boy did I realize how much time CCL has been wasting of mine during the muster drill! You'd never know if you didn't try someone else. What a freakin' JOKE! Thank you NCL for taking care of business in a timely manner and not wasting the passengers time!

5. Entertainment... Lots and I mean LOTS of variation! I'm so glad I didn't have to see "Mr Bourbon St"....again. Every show honestly seemed more "professional" if you will.

6. Where are the other passengers??? Never and I mean NEVER did I feel like there were 3000 folks on this ship. In the past, I ALWAYS knew where they were, where ever I was! This was one of the awesome things about this ship. Even around the pool there always seemed to be plenty of space. Loved it!

7. Fellow passengers... I've never seen a better group of passengers! For the most part all courteous, polite, better acting, etc, etc. What was up with THAT? I don't know but it's TRUE!

8. Getting on and off the ship.... I gotta give NCL a 10...seriously. ANY port, ANY where. Boarding/disembarking in NO...never quicker. Getting back on board after a long excursion-filled day...super. No attitude filled security.... NCL does it better.

PA160081.JPG

PA170100.JPG

PA180109.JPG

PA210251.JPG

PA210259.JPG

PA200198.JPG

Overall....

I can't really say how much I enjoyed the NCL Spirit and this cruise. Without exception every concern and every worry I had about picking THIS ship and THIS cruise line seems so dang SILLY now. I really don't see where or how folks can come up with some of the stuff they come up with. Simply a FANTASTIC cruise and mostly a superior cruise to what I've had up to now. Can the Star possibly shine as brightly as the Spirit it shall replace in NO?

FINALLY....

Thanks to those of you that supplied me as well as others with a LOT of awesome advice, information, and ideas!

Glad you enjoyed a really wonderful ship and I totally agree with most of what you say, especially the passengers. I don't know what it is, but we have always enjoyed (with one exception) the people who choose to cruise NCL.

NIta

I really enjoyed your review and photos. Just wondering which of the ruins did you visit in your photo?

What was your Captain's name and where was he from?

Capt Kenneth Harstrom from Sweden... A delightful fellow and he and many of he staff attended many of the shows in the Stardust Theater..

Thanks for the review. What did you do at the ports? We leave in week and your review makes me more excited to get on the Spirit

Costa Maya- we did Maya Chan...kind of a beach getaway type of thing. Not a lot of folks and the FOOD and DRINKS were really the best I've had at any such resort. It was kinda rustic...especially the restroom facilities and no pool. It was nice but some of the reviews use terms such as "AWESOME," "WOW," "BLOWN AWAY" for such places. It kinda raises your expectations way out to the un-attainable. Nice place but don't expect a five star resort. I'd go again and Mark the owner was certainly a people person and wanted to please...I'll probably try somewhere else next time for variety..

Isla Roatan- Thought about a lot but didn't do anything...rained that am too. Was gonna go into port but we tendered and used the ships tenders..kind of a slow process and the tendering got a slow start due to the rain. Did Tabyana Beach last year and it was great!

Belize City- Did the Lamanai ruins via boat. It was good. REALLY lots of history and you really can't take it all in during the time allowed. Take bug spray and wear tennis shoes and not your best ones. Mario our guide was knowledgeable and sharp as a tack but a little long winded IMO. His mic didn't work correctly on the bus, would go in and out(read other post about the same thing..seems to never work all the time). Longish bus ride to where you get on the boat....I'd do again....

Cozumel- First...I LOVE Cozumel. I've been five times and it never grows old. LOTS to do and great people. We did the Playa Mia Mexican Cuisine workshop/cooking. It was a BLAST! Second favorite excursion of all time. Clean, neat, well organized, and a LOT of FUN! Cook until lunch and then eat and go hang out on the beach! Been to Playa Mia on first cruise and it's only gotten better. LOTS of people now....but there's a reason...it's GREAT!

My wife and I are sailing on the Spirit in December. It will be our first NCL cruise. Your review was very upbeat and gave us a lot of positives about our upcoming experience. Thank you! Glad you had a wonderful time.

Thanks for the great review and photos! So interesting to hear your perspective on the food and cabins especially - it has been a bit worrisome reading other reviews. I realize that everyone's tastes and opinions are unique but it is great to know that some people really do enjoy the food. I'm planning to feel the same about out Spirit cruise in Dec.! :D

Capt Kenneth Harstrom from Sweden... A delightful fellow and he and many of he staff attended many of the shows in the Stardust Theater..

Costa Maya- we did Maya Chan...kind of a beach getaway type of thing. Not a lot of folks and the FOOD and DRINKS were really the best I've had at any such resort. It was kinda rustic...especially the restroom facilities and no pool. It was nice but some of the reviews use terms such as "AWESOME," "WOW," "BLOWN AWAY" for such places. It kinda raises your expectations way out to the un-attainable. Nice place but don't expect a five star resort. I'd go again and Mark the owner was certainly a people person and wanted to please...I'll probably try somewhere else next time for variety..

Isla Roatan- Thought about a lot but didn't do anything...rained that am too. Was gonna go into port but we tendered and used the ships tenders..kind of a slow process and the tendering got a slow start due to the rain. Did Tabyana Beach last year and it was great!

Belize City- Did the Lamanai ruins via boat. It was good. REALLY lots of history and you really can't take it all in during the time allowed. Take bug spray and wear tennis shoes and not your best ones. Mario our guide was knowledgeable and sharp as a tack but a little long winded IMO. His mic didn't work correctly on the bus, would go in and out(read other post about the same thing..seems to never work all the time). Longish bus ride to where you get on the boat....I'd do again....

Cozumel- First...I LOVE Cozumel. I've been five times and it never grows old. LOTS to do and great people. We did the Playa Mia Mexican Cuisine workshop/cooking. It was a BLAST! Second favorite excursion of all time. Clean, neat, well organized, and a LOT of FUN! Cook until lunch and then eat and go hang out on the beach! Been to Playa Mia on first cruise and it's only gotten better. LOTS of people now....but there's a reason...it's GREAT!

Thanks! We are doing Lamanai Ruins.

Cabin....

Dining....

MISC/OBSERVATIONS....

PA160081.JPG

PA170100.JPG

PA180109.JPG

PA210251.JPG

PA210259.JPG

PA200198.JPG

Overall....

FINALLY....

Awesome pictures...

Really enjoyed your review and photos. Our cruise on the Spirit leaves on Christmas Day. It will be my first time on Norwegian. Can't wait for a week of warm weather and sunshine -- we're getting 4 to 8 inches of snow here in central PA tomorrow!

Thanks so much for posting your review & GREAT pictures! We will be cruising with NCL for the first time on The Spirit on 3/4/12 and CAN'T WAIT!

Again, thanks for sharing............ :)

So when are you going to book another?? Did you buy a Future Cruise certificate???/QUOTE]

Naw....like a DA I didn't... BUT have no fear....another NCL is right around the corner!;)

Pictures.....

I don't deserve any credit....but THANKS! You can thank the beautiful scenery!

NCL newbies....SERIOUSLY....don't sweat it! You'll be pleasantly surprised!

I'm just back from my first NCL cruise, too, and I couldn't agree with you ! especially the 'why was i worried?' part--i booked very last minute and was more interested in the destination (bermuda) than the ship or the line (i was on the gem) but i absolutely LOVED the ship and the staff and the people...i also don't understand how it could possibly get bad reviews. the only other cruise i've ever been on was a celebrity cruise (alaska on the infinity five years ago) and honestly, i think i prefer NCL (which is super-terrible, as the celebrity cruise was my honeymoon and this NCL cruise was solo! :o )