Would you pay....

SteelCruisin

it seems as if people are really ticked off by the lack of a shrimp cocktail every evening, so I was wondering, If they offered it at say a cost of $2 , would you purchase it with your dinner. To me I could care less, as I find it nothing special...I make better at home , but for those who say it somehow lessens their cruise would you pay $14 extra for a week with shrimp cocktail?

no way. The shrimp they did serve were wayyy tiny. Besides, I can still have it at the steakhouse and they are huge. I can buy a big ol bag of shrimp at Walmart that is just as good as what was served in the MDR and is only $5! :p

I think people keep posting these "would you pay" posts just to tick people off... The majority of people will not pay. If we wanted to pay for the food/service/entertainment we would take a land based vacation. Or we could stay home. People will not pay extra for petty things like shrimp/dessert/cappucinos or what not. There are some people who will, but the majority of people who take a cruise take it because it is all inclusive.

I'm willing to pay extra for extra special dining experience like a steakhouse, but that is the extent and honestly, this is pushing it. I am going to try the steakhouse, but if Carnivals food requires an extra $60 a night for a special dinner, I'm not interested. We will try another line that IS all inclusive. Now, if the MDR is amazing and the Steakhouse is freaking AWESOME, then I think that extra money is worth it. (We'll see in a couple days!) ;)

I would be willing to pay whatever the costs for CCL to be as it use to be. Not just the food but every other aspect they have reduced cost on. As far as the shrimp, I love shrimp and when people get close to the beach they seem to want seafood. I cannot understand why they took some of the shrimp of the menu.

No I wouldn't pay extra for it. Its doesn't lessen my cruise experience but neither does it make me happy. Its simply a cruise tradition for me that I enjoy a shrimp cocktail every night that I'm on a cruise and its another tradition, no matter how small, that I won't be doing anymore if sailing on Carnival.

I agree with that the majority of cruisers want to be able to say that they can cruise without a lot of extra outlay. We always travel with extra, but know that we could have a great cruise without spending hardly another dime once we set our foot on the ship.

I would be willing to pay whatever the costs for CCL to be as it use to be. Not just the food but every other aspect they have reduced cost on. As far as the shrimp, I love shrimp and when people get close to the beach they seem to want seafood. I cannot understand why they took some of the shrimp of the menu.

I suspect it was simply the usual cost-cutting they are doing with other items. Perhaps if people were happy to have had just one serving as an appetizer, instead of two, three servings, this would not have happened. I've read here, in the past, many people bragging about the many shrimp cocktails they ordered at each meal. They are probably the same people who are complaining the most about not having them on the menu anymore.

it seems as if people are really ticked off by the lack of a shrimp cocktail every evening, so I was wondering, If they offered it at say a cost of $2 , would you purchase it with your dinner. To me I could care less, as I find it nothing special...I make better at home , but for those who say it somehow lessens their cruise would you pay $14 extra for a week with shrimp cocktail?

you mean like add $2 to you fare.

pay for food does not belong on a menu in the mdr.

what needs to be removed from the menu for you to want to now pay for it, when it was once included in your fare?

being the lobster they now serve resembles a colossal size shrimp, i think we all know we are being taken, a little bit at a time.

Carnival really torqued off a lot of people by getting rid of their tiny little shrimp cocktails, didn't they?

I wouldn't pay extra for them, but it was cheap of Carnival to take them off the nightly menu. I used to get two servings a night. It was really the only appetizer that interested me. Oh well.

Carnival really torqued off a lot of people by getting rid of their tiny little shrimp cocktails, didn't they?

I wouldn't pay extra for them, but it was cheap of Carnival to take them off the nightly menu. I used to get two servings a night. It was really the only appetizer that interested me. Oh well.

that's just it. complete uproar, numerous posts, complaints on the blog and facebook, and even a survey.

now why would carnival give its customer what it wants?

Put this in the same category as Political Correctness, Germophobes, Sissifying of our Children, Helicopter Parenting, Classroom Mainstreaming, lawsuit happy, What about Me society we in which we live - I don't like it. I cruise because cruising offers a certain value for the money. As the value gets chipped away my interest in it gets chipped away as well. I recently went to Barbados for 7 days and spent a total of $1500.00 for flight and hotel for 2. It was the best vacation I have ever had. I love to cruise, but the ratio of value to fun is ever decreasing for my cruising mindset. Each time I hear of these little "cuts", even if they don't directly impact me, make my love of cruising take a little dip. The next "big" family vacation is already planned and it is not to go on a cruise...

So, so easy to make at home...it's hardly a "treat".... Just look for extra-large or jumbo raw frozen shrimp in your grocery....try to catch a sale, and stock up! Quick and easy to thaw and cook! One of the simplest foods out there!

So, so easy to make at home...it's hardly a "treat".... Just look for extra-large or jumbo raw frozen shrimp in your grocery....try to catch a sale, and stock up! Quick and easy to thaw and cook! One of the simplest foods out there!

so, why do you think they pulled it? :confused:

I wouldn't pay one cent extra to have shrimp cocktail every night! The shrimp they served were so tiny that I bet they were 100 per lb. My local grocery store sells a whole bag of those for about $5 or so. Yuck!

Also, to the person posting that cruises are all-inclusive--sorry they are not. There are many extra things to pay for on a ship. I do realize if you don't want to pay for coke, alcohol, specialty restaurants, fancy cakes et al, they might be stretched a lot to be considered all-inclusive. There are still tips to pay no matter how you figure it, so really cruising is not all-inclusive.

I say add it to the ticket price, I don't want to have to worry about money while on board, this is part of the reason I buy a soda card, even if it is not economical, it is one less time I have to see the price of things. Maybe something similar could be done for preferred foods, say $100 sticker and you get all you can eat of anything on board.

It's not the size. They starting serving small shrimp. It's that slowly, Carnival is removing all expensivie items, and replacing it with cheap food. It's simple, but now, they are going too far. Some of the nicer and traditional parts of the meal are being replaced with cheap crap. It's not about the shrimp, its about the slow errosion of everything good.

Also, to the person posting that cruises are all-inclusive--sorry they are not. There are many extra things to pay for on a ship. I do realize if you don't want to pay for coke, alcohol, specialty restaurants, fancy cakes et al, they might be stretched a lot to be considered all-inclusive. There are still tips to pay no matter how you figure it, so really cruising is not all-inclusive.

That would be me but I was talking about food only being inclusive and specifically exempted steakhouse. Tips are an another matter entirely.

Obviously drinks are another matter as well.

I agree... bring back the beauts like the SS Carnivale... and I am in!

300px-Kobe_topaz01s3200.jpg.72a776c64f9dc7cc73f719a2fa1848a5.jpg

Cutting shrimp cocktail ( after they reduced the quality of the shrimp )

Removing steak and adding a piece of shoulder

And now a complete fascination with chopped meat aka meatloaf and guys burgers... Couple it with" comfort food"

Well you get what u pay for. It's a budget fare and it's budget foods being added.

I know higher end restaurants are serving some of these items , it's a way of cutting costs with out raising prices

You pay 70 - 100 per day, you get today's menus

Archived