Cruise Critic Community
scubababy

Mariner or Grandeur?

We are looking to book another cruise with RCCL. We did the Mariner in June of this year, and loved it. First time we've been back to RCCL in many years. Now, we are looking to book another cruise with two of my husband best friends and their families for their 50th birthdays! These guys have been best friends since Junior High School, and they promised each other many years ago they would celebrate their 50th together.

So, we've got two good itineraries for Med Cruises, and pricing fairly close. The Grandeur may be a little less. But, I loved the Mariner especially when traveling with our 8 year old. She loved the ice skating rink, loved the rock climbing wall, and loved the kids programs.

We had a grand suite on the Mariner, and looking to book the same on the Grandeur. How do they compare in size?

I'm leaning towards the Mariner, but another couple is leaning for the Grandeur based on price only.

Comments, suggestions, thoughts? I'm looking for information on kid friendly activities, size of rooms in comparison to Mariner, etc.

Also, looks like the Granduer is having a major overall during the month of May 2012. We would be on the first cruise after the renovation. I could see some little issues from this too.

Many thanks,

Patti

40+ cruises: CCL, Princess, RCCL, NCL, Celebrity

I would go on the Mariner. I have been on the grandeur and it was kind of a let down. I really missed the promenade. I don't know what changes they will make at drydock BUT I am sure there won't be a promenade. I also missed the ice rink and mini golf, can't remember, did mariner have that roller blade course near the mini golf? maybe that was explorer? Anyway, I would try and convince my friends to go on Mariner. I spent my 50th on Liberty. Happy birthday to the "boys"

Thanks for info. The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards the Mariner. It has alot more to offer especially when traveling with kids and teens. Yep, the Mariner had the roller blading rink too!

Also, I am really sensitive to motion too. 74,000 tons - used to be huge in years gone by, but now that's small. I don't want to be caught in any type of bad weather on a smaller ship. We were lucky with the Mariner and the Ruby Princess in Europe the past three years with good sailing weather. When we did the Crown last year, it was really really rough going up from Gilbraltar to Ireland.

I think I've answered my own questions!!

Patti

Personally I took would lean toward the Mariner. I have been on both ships and our experience was not grand on the granduer (still had a great time but not up to the level i expect from RCCL)... Our kids love the navigator class and the mariner was the ship that got them hooked. I know whichever you pick you will have a wonderful cruise with family and friends.

Mariner for sure. I have read and heard from a friend that on many first cruises after dry dock, they are still working on some renovations, so the ship is not at 100%.

Another vote for the Mariner.

Although the Grandeur is one of my favorite ships, I would chose the Mariner. It is a newer ship, has more to do. I like the promenade and the venues are a bit nicer and the cabin is a bit bigger.

Stateroom sizes

Grandeur

GS cabin 349 sqf

Balcony 111 sqf

Mariner

GS cabin 371 sqf

Balcony 88 sqf

Mariner is also dry dock but just before May 2012. By the time it finishes the TA and gets to Rome things should be settled out and it will be best of both worlds - refreshed (nothing major) and work completed.

I've been on the Navigator twice, and loved it both times. Personally, I'm not sure I would want to go much smaller than that. Because of that, I would definitely choose Mariner.

We went on Grandeur 10 years ago and loved it, but the ship was still pretty new, and the cruise ship "size explosion" had not taken place yet. We are sailing on Mariner in january, and I am anxious to see if the larger size translates to larger crowds and less personal attention. Are you taking kids on the cruise? If so, the Grandeur did not have any of the "cool" attractions that mariner has.