Miami Beach/South Beach Hotel

Nisomom

Hello! We are looking for a hotel near the beach and within walking distance of shops and restaurants. We have 2 nights before our cruise in January and have never been to Miami. We don't want to spend over 250 per night. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

You don't say when you are going but last month I stayed at the Marriott South Beach. Right on the water. It was very nice. A block to "The Big Pink" dinner which had great food. A little far to Lincoln Road but you can take the SoBe bus that costs .25 per person.

On the beach, you can see the ships come in & go out. I would recommend it.

We are staying one night post cruise at the ocean reef in south beach this month.. the reviews on trip advisor are great and seems close to everything, 2 blocks to the beach. Although in January I am not sure how the weather will be if you actually want to go to the beach. I went a few years back in January and it was quite cold.

Try the Surfcomber (formerly doubletree) on Collins Ave. Right on beach and in the S. Beach area of Miami Beach. Walking distance to the action and restaurants. Iagree Jan. won't really be swimming weather. But the walks along the beach will get you in the mood for your cruise.

Hello! We are looking for a hotel near the beach and within walking distance of shops and restaurants. We have 2 nights before our cruise in January and have never been to Miami. We don't want to spend over 250 per night. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

I stayed at the Sagamore on Collins Ave. It is a beachfront hotel and a short walk to Lincoln Road mall where there are shops and restaurants. There's also a drugstore on the corner to pick up last minute stuff. It is the perfect location. However in Jan the ocean will probably be chilly.

January should be some good prices even on South Beach. We have stayed at the Richmond several times. It's right on the beach and within 1 1/2 blocks of Lincoln Road. Hotels are older on SB - small rooms, etc. but the location to the beach, shopping, resturants and clubs is he best! Enjoy!

We've stayed at the the Four Points on Collins as well as Surfcomber. The Surfcomber is real nice, kinda retro, nice beach access. The Four Points was nicer inside, nice big rooms and also had good access to the beach and boardwalk. There are really a ton of options on that stretch of beach, and if you've never stayed on the beach there, it's pretty cool.

January should be some good prices even on South Beach. We have stayed at the Richmond several times. It's right on the beach and within 1 1/2 blocks of Lincoln Road. Hotels are older on SB - small rooms, etc. but the location to the beach, shopping, resturants and clubs is he best! Enjoy!

As compared to what? :rolleyes: If after the 10th or so of Jan., rates are very high leading into the busiest Feb and March nights. If comparing to New York City, yes "good". :D

The OP should look at hotels a few blocks from the beach and will find something very nice in their budget.

Try the Surfcomber (formerly doubletree) on Collins Ave. Right on beach and in the S. Beach area of Miami Beach. Walking distance to the action and restaurants. Iagree Jan. won't really be swimming weather. But the walks along the beach will get you in the mood for your cruise.

The Surfcomber is now a Kimpton hotel. I have had only good experiences at Kimptons.

The Surfcomber is now a Kimpton hotel. I have had only good experiences at Kimptons.

I was going to agree with the Surfcomber. We've stayed there twice and it was a great location--17th and Collins. A few blocks from Lincoln Road, plus near a liquor store, a CVS and a Walgreens. We also stayed at the Victor on South Beach. It's used to be a Hyatt property, but I am not sure it still is. Lots of great places on Collins around there.

Glad I found this thread, I am considering South Beach instead of dowtown near the port for the night before our cruise too. I will check out these hotels.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for. I love South Beach for the atmosphere, the restaurants and the ability to walk on the beach the night before and the morning before getting on the ship. If someone just wants to stay in a hotel, or they are getting in late the day before, then I think downtown is perfect. I just feel like if I have the time, it's an extra day to relax and enjoy what Miami has to offer. I can go to a mall anywhere.

We are arriving April 26 for 2 nights before the cruise. The prices seem insane to me. We will have 2 kids, 9 and 12 with us and want a pool. The only ones that have a lower rate are not recommended for families. Any suggestions? I was hoping for under $150 though may go a little higher if I need to. I'm getting nowhere on the hot site either.

We are arriving April 26 for 2 nights before the cruise. The prices seem insane to me. We will have 2 kids, 9 and 12 with us and want a pool. The only ones that have a lower rate are not recommended for families. Any suggestions? I was hoping for under $150 though may go a little higher if I need to. I'm getting nowhere on the hot site either.

Are you looking at S. Beach? Many hotels there have very small rooms, certainly not built with families in mind. Your budget doesn't allow for much in that area.

What are you planning for the 2 days? There are other areas where you could find lower costs if you are just looking at places with pools. Will you have a car?

Are you looking at S. Beach? Many hotels there have very small rooms, certainly not built with families in mind. Your budget doesn't allow for much in that area.

What are you planning for the 2 days? There are other areas where you could find lower costs if you are just looking at places with pools. Will you have a car?

I agree. If your priorities are that cost and a pool for the kids to hang out at, then S. Beach should probably be your last choice, unfortunately. I would definitely check out tripadvisor. You should be able to find something at that price point in Miami--it just may involve a cab if you want to do any sightseeing or anything aside from hanging at the pool.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for. I love South Beach for the atmosphere, the restaurants and the ability to walk on the beach the night before and the morning before getting on the ship. If someone just wants to stay in a hotel, or they are getting in late the day before, then I think downtown is perfect. I just feel like if I have the time, it's an extra day to relax and enjoy what Miami has to offer. I can go to a mall anywhere.

We have an early flight to Miami because we intend to treat it as a "port" day. We specifically want to see South Beach, since we've never been there. At first we looked at staying near the port, but would rather be on the beach. Is there a difference between Miami Beach and South Beach? Should we consider staying there?

We have an early flight to Miami because we intend to treat it as a "port" day. We specifically want to see South Beach, since we've never been there. At first we looked at staying near the port, but would rather be on the beach. Is there a difference between Miami Beach and South Beach? Should we consider staying there?

To me, if you have the day, I would stay on Miami/South Beach (they're the same thing). I like the area between 8th and 15th on Ocean Drive, and 15th and 20th on Collins. There are tons of great hotels around there and they are right by the boardwalk along the beach. There is a great strip of outdoor shops and restaurants on "Lincoln Road" that is within walking distance of that area. If you go north of 20th, there are a ton of great hotels as well--you'd probably just want to take a cab at night to Lincoln Road.

Personally, I can't imagine staying anywhere but on the beach when going to Miami. There's such a great vibe, the beach is amazing, and you just feel like you're on vacation immediately. To me, it's the perfect start to a cruise!

Thanks for the ideas everyone. We will definitely stay somewhere in South Beach. Lots of the hotels mentioned were very pricey 350-400 per night. Time of year I guess? We love the idea of walking on the beach and being able to see all that South Beach has to offer.

Small rooms don't bother us too much. We spent a year in Ireland and did a lot of travelling. You should see the Holiday Inn Express in London, when you open the couch to a bed there is no room and the bathroom door swings to cut off for the shower. We do want nice, clean and comfortable and a safe area. We are willing to go over the $150 if necessary. The kids would definitely want a pool. DH wants to be able to walk out of his hotel and be on or close to the beach. Now if it was Miami beach that would be ok, might even get him to ok Port of Miami if we could get transport to beach easily. What he doesn't want is Airport area. I'm open to suggestions. I posted on Trip Advisor but not much response as of yet. Other than beach and pool, we haven't really figured out if there is any other sightseeing, maybe a little shopping, and near some cheaper eating options. Free breakfast (even Continental) is definitely a plus.

Archived