msjazzymiss

Jeans in the MDR

We are sailing in less than weeks and ready to pack. Question - are jeans allows in the MDR on the Jewel of the Sea? I know there's one formal night but just wondering about the remainding nights?? We have been cruising on another cruise line the past few years that allowed jeans in the MDR but not sure it's allows on the Jewel.:confused:

Just off the Allure. One of our table mates wore jeans every night and nothing was said. People dresses casual on formal night as well. Nothing was said. I'm sure the fashion police did not like it. My wife dressed and I wore a suit. The service was the same for everybody.

They have "suggested" dress codes for the various nights. On my recent Jewel cruise, there were 2 formal nights in the MDR. All other nights were casual. There is nothing that says jeans are "not allowed." Further, being a cold-weather cruise, I would suspect you'll actually see a lot of them. Just my two cents.

Edit: I guess just because it's in November doesn't mean you'll be on a "cold-weather cruise." Duh to me. LOL. Still, I stand by my answer. I couldn't even tell you if anyone wore jeans to the MDR on my cruise, because I don't recall paying any attention.

Edited by smltwngrl76

They have "suggested" dress codes for the various nights. On my recent Jewel cruise, there were 2 formal nights in the MDR. All other nights were casual. There is nothing that says jeans are "not allowed." Further, being a cold-weather cruise, I would suspect you'll actually see a lot of them. Just my two cents.

The Jewel is currently on a repositioning cruise to Tampa so the cold weather cruises are over.:)

To the OP, jeans are fine for all nights in the MDR except for your formal night.

In a few weeks, Jewel is sailing from Tampa to Mexico. Actually starts that run next Saturday. NOT a cold weather cruise.

The Jewel is currently on a repositioning cruise to Tampa so the cold weather cruises are over.:)

To the OP, jeans are fine for all nights in the MDR except for your formal night.

haha... I was editing my post as you were posting this. I'm still stuck in New England! hehe :D

haha... I was editing my post as you were posting this. I'm still stuck in New England! hehe :D

At least you weren't getting off your cruise the day we got all the snow, you definitely could have ended up getting stuck up here.;):D We only lost power twice for a total of 12 hours. My 88 yr old blind aunt lost hers from Saturday night until Friday around noon.:eek:

Thank you for all the responses. My husband will be pleased to hear he can bring his jeans. I guess I can start parking now.:)

msjazzy, hope you and your husband have a great cruise! :)

At least you weren't getting off your cruise the day we got all the snow, you definitely could have ended up getting stuck up here.;):D We only lost power twice for a total of 12 hours. My 88 yr old blind aunt lost hers from Saturday night until Friday around noon.:eek:

mema, how about that! That's all I kept thinking when we got that crazy snowstorm the very next weekend..."Thank GOD we didn't plan our cruise for a week later!" That's terrible that your aunt had to go through that! What a freak storm though. I got really lucky and only got a little bit of a white coating where I live. 20 miles up the road got about 8 inches though. Crazy!

Jeans will be fine in the MDR at any time. Jeans are the one item that is always appropriate and always in style.

Jeans really??? Cmon would it hurt to wear dockers or something else? You will be fine on smart casual night but why push it? I hate dressing up but there are alot of dressy looking non jeans type outfits so why cheapen the dinner? Jeans are kinda hot to wear ( I mean temp wise) wouldnt you want something more formal but cooler??????

Jeans really??? Cmon would it hurt to wear dockers or something else? You will be fine on smart casual night but why push it? I hate dressing up but there are alot of dressy looking non jeans type outfits so why cheapen the dinner? Jeans are kinda hot to wear ( I mean temp wise) wouldnt you want something more formal but cooler??????

Here are the answers to the questions above:

1.) Yes

2.) It might, they are within guidelines

3.) Not pushing anything, see above

4.) If you spend your dinner looking under my table you have other issues

5.) No, jeans are a breathable cotton fabric. It's sometimes cool aboard the ship at night, and they are really comfortable. To each his own.

Edited by blusry

Jeans will be fine in the MDR at any time. Jeans are the one item that is always appropriate and always in style.

I'm wondering where this "always appropriate/always in style" ruling has come from? Is this a personal opinion? Just asking.

teddie

The cattiness on some of these boards never ceases to amaze me. :(

Jeans are acceptable in the MDR - they do not turn guests away. The question is whether you will be comfortable wearing them. Most people wear something more like Dockers. Keep that in mind if you (or DH) are the type of person who likes to be similarly dressed. The posts here are representative of what you will find on the cruise.....some will look down their nose at you, others won't notice or care.

Let the floggings begin.....:D

I guess an argument could be made for what TYPE of jeans? New, dark, clean jeans? Or old, faded jeans with holes and frayed bottoms? Are they both equally acceptable?

I could see wearing newer black jeans (not faded) or the really dark blue ones -- or colored jeans. I, personally, would never wear MY jeans in the MDR because they're faded and worn and comfy and I, personally, would feel like I was dressed inappropriately.

We are sailing in less than weeks and ready to pack. Question - are jeans allows in the MDR on the Jewel of the Sea? I know there's one formal night but just wondering about the remainding nights?? We have been cruising on another cruise line the past few years that allowed jeans in the MDR but not sure it's allows on the Jewel.:confused:
Would never ever wear jeans in the MDR, my personal preference

You can wear jeans at any time in the MDR.

There are jeans that you wear to "work" (paint your house, garden, wash your car, etc.) and there and jeans that you wear to "play." (get together with friends, go out to a casual dinner, etc.).

IMO the two are not interchangeable and are not always appropriate and not always in style. Please leave your "work" jeans at home.

Jeans are never appropriate at funerals, weddings (unless its requested) and other life-cycle events.

There are jeans that you wear to "work" (paint your house, garden, wash your car, etc.) and there and jeans that you wear to "play." (get together with friends, go out to a casual dinner, etc.).

IMO the two are not interchangeable and are not always appropriate and not always in style. Please leave your "work" jeans at home.

Jeans are never appropriate at funerals, weddings (unless its requested) and other life-cycle events.

I added color and bolded this, because TO ME, this is key. CASUAL dinner. IMO, the MDR is not the CASUAL dining venue, which is why I maintain that if one prefers to dress more CASUALLY, they should dine at a more CASUAL venue...i.e., Windjammer.

For example, I would wear jeans to the Outback or Longhorn, but not to Morton's or Ruth's Chris.

I added color and bolded this, because TO ME, this is key. CASUAL dinner. IMO, the MDR is not the CASUAL dining venue, which is why I maintain that if one prefers to dress more CASUALLY, they should dine at a more CASUAL venue...i.e., Windjammer.

For example, I would wear jeans to the Outback or Longhorn, but not to Morton's or Ruth's Chris.

Except for the fact that, right in the Cruise Compass, it states that the dress for dinner that night is CASUAL.

Forget about this smart casual thing. That was ONLY the case for specialty restaurants (on my sailing anyway). The MDR had only 2 categories of dress, and that was formal and casual.

I can't believe this is something people get in such a tizzy about. :rolleyes:

And P.S. Even on formal nights, the only thing noted in the Cruise Compass about dress is this:

"Please note that bare feet, tank tops and shorts are not permitted in the Tides Dining Room at dinner."

Edited by smltwngrl76

Quite honestly, I dont care what anyone else wears as long as they're clothed. If we all dressed alike there would be no need for GQ magazine or the people of walmart site.

I've never worn jeans in the MDR although I have worn nice dressy type capri outfits with sandals (NOT flip flops). My son (age 13) also does not wear jeans to the MDR. He wears khaki's to the MDR except on formal nights, and he wears a suit with shirt and tie and dress shoes, no tennis shoes at all in MDR for us.

The only exception is that on one of our cruises one of our table mates spilled chilled strawberry soup on his khaki's and he changed into a pair of shorts ... but they were nice, pleated, ironed, creased white dress shorts.

That is a personal choice. I do wear jeans to those places. So do many of their other guests, we were not alone.

That is a personal choice. I do wear jeans to those places. So do many of their other guests, we were not alone.

Different strokes

IMO the two are not interchangeable

I found that out the hard way. One day I was painting while apparently wearing the dress jeans.

Mrs E. wasn't happy.:D

wow - I was not prepared for the amount of varied responses. In all honest we enjoy dressing on formal night and plan to do so on this cruise as well. We also like the option of putting on a nice pair of jeans with a pressed shirt and going to dinner. Nice to know that we have the option. Yes we plan to pack our jeans and be fashionably in style. Happy cruising to all.:)

wow - I was not prepared for the amount of varied responses. In all honest we enjoy dressing on formal night and plan to do so on this cruise as well. We also like the option of putting on a nice pair of jeans with a pressed shirt and going to dinner. Nice to know that we have the option. Yes we plan to pack our jeans and be fashionably in style. Happy cruising to all.:)

And you will look great in those. The problem with jeans is that some people really don't know the difference between the gardening jeans and the dressy jeans. If everyone wore the dressy jeans on smart casual nights (for example) then this wouldn't even be a discussion. Some people eqate jeans to faded ripped jeans matched up with a oversized logo t-shirt.

As an aside, you'll be hard pressed to find a restaurant in NYC (including Morton's etc...) where there aren't 50% of the people wearing "smart jeans" and a dress shirt, and shoes. This look is absolutely fine for the cruise ship. On formal nights, my husband will forgo jeans and wear dark slacks and dress shirt and tie and I will wear a dress so we will be abiding by the suggested dress. There is no way he is hauling a suit jacket on a Caribbean vacation.

Edited by navigator0709

I've worn Jeans to Morton's many times, along with a button down shirt and a sports coat.

What's the big deal?

And not always the same Morton's, but different locations in different cities when away on business.

Here is the MDR Dress Code, posted right outside the MDR.

/

/

/

GrabbedFrame8.jpg

/

/

Jeans are not mentioned.....so everything is just peoples opinions.

Edited by B-52

Oh, the jeans thread. Good to see nothing's changed around here during my hiatus from cruise critic. :)

I won't be eating in the MDR during my upcoming cruise, but if I were, I'd wear my jeans on non-formal nights and not care what anyone else thought about it since no one would be able to see them while I was sitting down. I know people get very excited about dressing up for formal night, so I wouldn't wear them on formal night, but I wouldn't care if other people did. Doesn't impact the meal at all. Now, what people wear on top--that's what we should be debating!

Edited by bluegirlum

Here is the MDR Dress Code, posted right outside the MDR.

/

/

/

GrabbedFrame8.jpg

/

/

Jeans are not mentioned.....so everything is just peoples opinions.

rules are rules

rules are rules

Only when enforced and three out of the four are generally not enforced.

Rather nice portrayal of jeans in MDR in the Jame Brolin short film on RCI site - "Royal Reunion". Does not look bad. Not for formal night but other nights, with sport coat, why not? Hard to tell dark jeans from other pants.

I wear jeans every night except formal nights. I think the type of jean makes a big difference, as others have said. My jeans are dark and slim fitting; paired with heels they are quite dressy. I would't wear them to Chops, though, I guess that's where I draw the line.

Why do some people have such a hard time accepting that jeans are allowed? I just don't get that. When my DH wears his dark jeans with a nice shirt his khaki sport coat, he looks better than most men in formal wear.