Cruise Critic Community
susiesan

smoking on Star Clipper ships-how prevalent?

I am contemplating booking a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on the Royal Clipper for Oct. 2012. I sailed on the Star Clipper in Thailand in 2008, and one thing I did not like was all the smoking all over the ship. because there were a majority of Europeans on board and they all smoke so much, there was smoking on all open decks of the ship. I could never even sit at the outside bar without being downwind of someone's smoke. The smoking somewhat ruined the Star Clipper experience for me.

Has Star Clippers changed their smoking policy? Is smoking still allowed anywhere on the outside decks? is smoking allowed inside in the lounge or in cabins? It just seems like this would be a huge fire hazard on these ships with the ropes and wood everywhere. If there is still lots of smoking allowed I may book Windstar.

We were on the Star Clipper for 14 days this summer and had a wonderful time. While certainly not everyone was smoking, I often found myself next to a smoker on the open decks. I did find it annoying, as often I would just get to relaxing and then a person would start smoking near me. It is also allowed on one side of the bar, so you have to be mindful of where you are to avoid it there. I am sure the number varies from cruise to cruise, but it was an issue.

We have been on the Royal Clipper several times including in the Med. in October. As LTCOP says smoking is permitted on one side of the bar (the open air Tropical Bar). Not allowed on the other side. There are some areas on deck where it is absolutely forbidden for safety reasons. Not allowed in cabins - if a passenger does smoke in the cabin (against the rules) then the smoke detector will alert the crew to that and the offending passenger will be dealt with . If my memory serves me correctly I remember an instance where (very unusually) a passenger smoked in (?her) cabin. That passenger was warned by the Captain. If repeated (it wasn't in that case) the passenger could be put off the ship at the next port of call, wherever that might be. (Ship's Captains have very extensive powers!!). Have not noticed any problem in the lounge - it is air conditioned in any case. Whilst the Windstar is a nice ship it is not a real sailing vessel like the Royal Clipper (Windstar is more "sail assisted").

We were on the Star Clipper for 14 days this summer and had a wonderful time. While certainly not everyone was smoking, I often found myself next to a smoker on the open decks. I did find it annoying, as often I would just get to relaxing and then a person would start smoking near me. It is also allowed on one side of the bar, so you have to be mindful of where you are to avoid it there. I am sure the number varies from cruise to cruise, but it was an issue.

This was the problem I had on the Star Clipper in Thailand, Nov. 2008. people would be out on the open decks sitting in the sun and light up a cigarette. They used a coffee mug or drink glass as an ashtray. It was an area that was supposed to be no smoking. No one from the crew would ask them to stop. I found myself always having to get up and move.

In the bar area, the smokers did not stick to one side of the area. They smoked at the bar, on both sides, and in all areas under the cover. Again, no one from the crew told them to stop. If there was no ashtray on the non smoking side they would bring one over from the smoking side. There were only 12 Americans on board, none who smoked, so we were definitely the minority. Over 50% of the pax were Germans and most of them smoked.

Smoking is allowed on the upper decks and on the portside in the bar area. If you don't like mixing with horrible European people who smoke then I would take the Windstar cruise. As a non smoker it does not bother me if someone wants to smoke outside on deck. On a recent Caribbean cruise I had to mix with many Americans 75% who were obese. Frankly having to watch these large fat people waddling around on deck for some people was far worse than smokers.

For me, I am not worried, I go with the flow.

Smoking is allowed on the upper decks and on the portside in the bar area. If you don't like mixing with horrible European people who smoke then I would take the Windstar cruise. As a non smoker it does not bother me if someone wants to smoke outside on deck. On a recent Caribbean cruise I had to mix with many Americans 75% who were obese. Frankly having to watch these large fat people waddling around on deck for some people was far worse than smokers.

For me, I am not worried, I go with the flow.

I called Star Clipper to ask about the smoking policy. I was told only on one side of the bar area. Nowhere else. Not on any open decks.

I don't mind mixing with Europeans who smoke; I do mind when their smoke blows in my face, even outside.

What has New Zealand got to do with this you might ask? Well, some years ago on a holiday in New Zealand a coach driver told us the New Zealand Tourist's motto, which is, "expect the unexpected". We have adopted that for our holidays (of all sorts) and have found that the unexpected pleasant surprises outnumber the disappointments. A side benefit of that is that one stays in the happy holiday frame of mind rather than getting upset. We find that it does work. Whatever you choose, and I could give you several lovely stories from our times on the Clippers, do have a super holiday.

I have no idea if it was Europeans, Americans, Australians, or whatever who were smoking:-) I just know the smoke blew in my face and I end up with a stuffed up nose and sore throat. The smokers would bring a coffee can on the open decks and go at it. I just sometimes felt like I could not escape the smoke.

Having said that, the Star Clippers experience is a great time! And there were no issues inside the ship.

When we did the exact same trip there was smoking on one side of the bar only. People seemed to respect that rule and it was not an issue. I HATE the smell of smoke so I was really happy that it was all contained in one area.

I wish I was doing a Star Clippers cruise again. The cruise I'm about to go on allows smoking everywhere. We had to pay extra money to get one of only a handful of rooms that are non-smoking. :(

Have fun, you'll love it

After doing more research and comparing itineraries, I have decided to book the 8 night Windstar cruise Barcelona-Lisbon Oct. 27, 2012. Many of the ports are the same as the 12 night Star Clipper. I also decided to spend less time on a ship and more time on land during a 2 week vacation. I know that smoking will not be an issue on Windstar.

Thanks for the advice here. Next time I'm going on a Caribbean cruise I will go with Star Clipper.

Susieann,

We are doing that same 8-day cruise on Windsurf in July, 2012. So we will have to compare notes:-)

Like you - we'd love to do a Star Clippers again too!

Pam

We are contemplating a Star Clipper cruise at the beginning of March; either Leeward or Treasure Islands in the Caribbean. What I'm wondering is if the smoking issue is not as big in the Caribbean as when these ships are in the Mediterranean or elsewhere?

(Note: I'm not demanding there be no smoking at all, just expressing the wish, as others have, to have real non-smoking areas that are observed rather than ignored.)

I've been cruising (not as much as most of you, I'm sure! but every few years) on the big ships, and travelling in Europe, for the last 20-30 years, and it does seem to have gotten better over the years just as it has on land, but it seems there are still pockets.

Well, we'll probably go, regardless, but if the problem is *really* bad as has been described above, then we for sure would not sail with them again (unless things really changed). I really would like to not go back to the big monster ships, and am not really interested in the WindStar line either...

(Does anyone have a feeling for how it is on the Diamont?)

Thanks,

Carolyn

We are contemplating a Star Clipper cruise at the beginning of March; either Leeward or Treasure Islands in the Caribbean. What I'm wondering is if the smoking issue is not as big in the Caribbean as when these ships are in the Mediterranean or elsewhere?

(Note: I'm not demanding there be no smoking at all, just expressing the wish, as others have, to have real non-smoking areas that are observed rather than ignored.)

I've been cruising (not as much as most of you, I'm sure! but every few years) on the big ships, and travelling in Europe, for the last 20-30 years, and it does seem to have gotten better over the years just as it has on land, but it seems there are still pockets.

Well, we'll probably go, regardless, but if the problem is *really* bad as has been described above, then we for sure would not sail with them again (unless things really changed). I really would like to not go back to the big monster ships, and am not really interested in the WindStar line either...

(Does anyone have a feeling for how it is on the Diamont?)

Thanks,

Carolyn

Carolyn,

We were just on royal Clipper. Smoking was never a problem. No smoking allowed inside, smoking allowed at the port side of the tropical bar only - if you think it may be a problem, just sit on the other side. It is definitely not really bad.

Carolyn,

We were aboard the RC for an 11 day in March of '10 and the smoking issue, while present, was not overwhelming in any sense for either my wife nor myself. My wife has never smoked and I quit the habit five years ago after thirty years of smelling awful and spreading bad fumes everywhere. Folks tended to smoke aft at the Tropical Bar during happy hour and for the most part the smokers stayed on the port side. Occasionally some people forgot but it didn't bother us too much. There's also a small bar up by the pool and I believe smoking is allowed there as well without the port/starboard rule.

Maybe after struggling with my own habit for so long and knowing how hard nicotine is, I'm finding myself a little more forgiving.

. . . but that's just me.

Anyway - the ship, the Caribbean and the people we met more than made up for any small inconvenience we experienced.

Sorry - our cruise aboard the RC was March of 2011.

36 more days and we're on the Star Clipper out of St. Maarten!

WooooooHoooooooo!

We are going on our first Star Clipper cruise in a few weeks so don't know about how smoking is there. However, we have been on the Diamant (Island Windjammers) -almost two yrs ago. Smoking was never a problem on the Diamant for us. Luckily there were no smokers that week (only 12 pax); just the occasional evening cigar and when that happened all were courteous to others - smoking off on their own and not at group gatherings (dinner, swizzle time, etc..) I am almost positive the Diamant doesn't allow smoking in the inside dinning area or rooms - only on top deck.