Would someone fill me on on The Porch

buffi001

Now' date=' on the other hand, the pricing on the "no ocean view" Cabanas is purely insane. Sorry... but there's no way I'll pay even a third of the charge to sit and look at the people in the cabanas opposite.

Paul[/quote']

FYI the cabanas do offer an ocean view. The chairs can be positioned to either look out at the ocean or out at the lawn. I do agree they are overpriced when considering the minimal amenities on receives. I would like to see them lower the price by 50% or keep the price the same but throw in some extras such as a complimentary wine & cheese plate and an hour of free wifi.

Hi Everyone,

My issue with the Alcoves, is that from what I've observed in the photos, there aren't any Loungers, and cannot be requested. Why would I want to sit in a chair for much of the day, and at the current pricing ? I'm fine with Celebrity initially setting the Alcoves with chairs, but Loungers should be available upon request. I'd also like to see some internet time included with the I-Pad. 2 hours seems about right. I'd also consider offering complimentary lunch at the Porch.

I agree the current pricing needs a reality check, but it will depend on Supply and Demand. If Guests are willing to pay the current price, then Celebrity has no incentive to discount. If demand is weak, hopefully Celebrity will re-visit the pricing.

As an alternative to an across the board price reduction, Celebrity should consider offering discounts for Captains Club Members along the lines of 15% for Classic, 25% for Select, 40% for Elite, and 50% for any future levels above Elite. I feel this would be an excellent value added benefit, and would assure the Alcoves being in demand.

FYI the cabanas do offer an ocean view.

Hi Gonzo,

Question please - From the Alcove image on the Celebrity website, they show a divider which clearly appears to be blocking the Ocean View. Is the Ocean blocking divider actually there ? Or, might this be a concept image ?

highlight_lawn_club_alcoves.jpg

Thanks very much for your input !

Hi Gonzo,

Question please - From the Alcove image on the Celebrity website, they show a divider which clearly appears to be blocking the Ocean View. Is the Ocean blocking divider actually there ? Or, might this be a concept image ?

Let me see if I have a photo from my cruise that shows the ocean view. There is a cut out of the divider which offers a view to the ocean and the chair can be positioned either facing this cut out, or facing the lawn. While there is not lounge chairs, the chairs did look rather comfy and have a large ottoman. The only issue was they are not side by side, but there is one chair, then a coach, then the other chair. They did offer free breakfast and lunch at The Porch on my Holy Land cruise, but only on port days (so not the most useful perk unless you were staying on the ship for lunch). I definitely agree that some free internet time would make the alcoves much more attractive, and Captain Club discounts would be nice too. That said, I was surprised at how busy the alcoves were on my cruise, so there were people paying up.

I will try to find a photo and add it in an edit if I am successful.

Edit: Unfortunately I only took a couple photos of the alcoves and they do not really demonstrate what I am speaking about. Hopefully someone will chime in who used an alcove and can comment further on this.

Hi Gonzo,

Thanks very much for your input !

Just Google 'Celebrity Silhouette Alcove' and select image view and you will see several photos of the Alcoves as they actually are. As to having an ocean view - well, that is a matter of what you think an ocean view is. By positioning the chairs just right, a person would be able to look out through a relatively narrow opening and be able to see the ocean. It would be similar to sitting in your stateroom and looking out the window, however. Not like standing at the railing with a 180 degree view.

Not very practical for ocean views, and not very appealing, IMHO. Plus, they also block the views of the ocean for people lounging on the lawn in that area. It's a shame that more and more cruise lines are building ships that more and more limit ocean views instead on enhancing them. It seems they are taking away the cruise element and trying hard to turn their ships into floating hotels instead of cruise ships.

It's a shame that more and more cruise lines are building ships that more and more limit ocean views instead on enhancing them. It seems they are taking away the cruise element and trying hard to turn their ships into floating hotels instead of cruise ships.

However one nice thing about S-Class ships is that all but a small percentage of staterooms have windows or private balconies. Older cruise ships generally had a much higher percentage of inside staterooms.

Great information about The Porch and Bistro on 5. We will eat in one of them just because I am not a fan of the buffet on sail away day. The cover charge doesn't bother me, I kind of expect the same food as the buffet, but am willing to pay for the environment that day.

Not sure, but I think I attached a photo of the alcoves. The basic design does not suggest an ocean view - perhaps, as Gonzo indicated, the frosted glass partition can be moved to open a view of the ocean? IMO, the ideal design would be to turn the entire structure 180 degrees?

That sounds like a great idea.

Haven't been on the Silli yet (but will be in 9 days:D) so I can't comment on the Porch. I know the Bistro is open everyday 6AM - 2AM. We like to go to the Bistro on port day when the MDR is closed. We prefer waiter service also. We have been and will be in Aqua Class on the "S" class ships and eat in Blu for breakfast.

Mary

Thank you for the info - it has been noted in my materials for an upcoming cruise!:)

I haven't noticed mention in this thread of another lunch alternative to the buffet--the Aqua Spa Cafe, which is also free....

There is a grill (I think it is near the pool area) that serves burgers, hot dogs, etc. The MDR is open for lunch on Sea Days.

They are just open for breakfast and lunch. They have a very limited menu. A few different panini sandwiches, a few sides, and at lunch a few desserts. Very mediocre food and about the same quality as what you would find at the buffet. IMHO it was a total waste of money. They really need to make some significant improvements to the menu; the venue has potential but needs a major overhaul.

Why would anyone pay extra here when there is plenty of breakfast &lunch food etc on the ship, including in the buffet.

Totally agree re: cabanas. These need a complete re-design and really should face the ocean.

I may be getting a bit off topic.... but wanted to mention a few things I noticed on our recent Silhouette TA cruise re: food/alternative venues, etc.

1) The Mast Grill: the only thing available (while good) were hot dogs/hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries. On our Eclipse cruise back in January - they had onion rings, chicken wings, pasta salad and maybe nachos?? I wonder if this was a limited menu for the crossing/availability of certain items??

!

I asked about this, saw this could happen and got blasted by some a few months ago. We are on a Silhouette TA next year and I wanted to know if they would dumb down the Mast Grille in light of the extra pay Lawn Grille. We liked the chicken, onion rings and more found at the Mast Grille.

I asked about this, saw this could happen and got blasted by some a few months ago. We are on a Silhouette TA next year and I wanted to know if they would dumb down the Mast Grille in light of the extra pay Lawn Grille. We liked the chicken, onion rings and more found at the Mast Grille.

IMO, I don't think it was because of the Lawn Club since the LC was not open for lunch during our cruise (except for one day, I think) and the Mast is not open for dinner. The options at LC are really quite different from the Mast. Who knows, though. I was hoping some other people would chime in on what menu items were available on other ships and sailings. Would be interesting to see if it IS only on the Silhouette.

IMO, I don't think it was because of the Lawn Club since the LC was not open for lunch during our cruise (except for one day, I think) and the Mast is not open for dinner. The options at LC are really quite different from the Mast. Who knows, though. I was hoping some other people would chime in on what menu items were available on other ships and sailings. Would be interesting to see if it IS only on the Silhouette.

You're right the Lawn Club was only one day for lunch on our Med cruise too and that was a for some kind of promotion...so THAT is not why Mast may have changed it's menus. Lawn Club is a TOTALLY difference concept than the Mast Grill and as far as I know there are no Chicken Wings, Pasta Salad, nachos or onion rings available there....fact I know there aren't... they do steaks/seafood/fish, flatbreads, 3-4 sides like lobster mac n cheese and a few desserts, such as the warm choc chip cookie..just baked for you...

Mast Grill did have great burgers on our cruise and also hot dogs but that's all....don't know if all ships have gone that route or not.

There is a grill (I think it is near the pool area) that serves burgers, hot dogs, etc. The MDR is open for lunch on Sea Days.

That is the Mast Grill, on deck 14, and it was mentioned in an earlier post. The Aqua Spa Cafe is on deck 12 (one deck lower), and slightly forward in the Solarium area. It offers a much 'healthier' menu than the Mast Grill.

That's good that you enjoyed the Prch; it also sounds like it received more business during the transatlantic than the Holy Land based on some of the other posts. The location, set up and view definitely are nicer than Bistro on 5 (and much nicer than the buffet). Hopefully whatever changes they make will enhance the food to match the nicer atmosphere. I would be there several times a cruise for breakfast if they succeed in making the food more on par with their other specialty venues (and more like the upscale brunch venues here in Chicago). I actually sent some menus of my favorite brunch locales here in Chicago to Celebrity, encouraging them to develop something in that spirit (not just at the Porch, but to eventually have a nice specialty breakfast/brunch venue on all their ships).

What really might be cool would be if they would open Qsine for brunch and have playful twists on typical breakfast/brunch foods there similar to the creativity they have with the dinner menu.

Just out of curiosity, what are the restaurants you are referring to in Chicago? We recently had lunch at the new Pump Room and enjoyed it.

That is the Mast Grill, on deck 14, and it was mentioned in an earlier post. The Aqua Spa Cafe is on deck 12 (one deck lower), and slightly forward in the Solarium area. It offers a much 'healthier' menu than the Mast Grill.

I’m sorry I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you were asking if there were any other lunch alternative that are free in addition to the buffet ad Aqua Spa café….that is why I mentioned the other two spots.

Archived