Catrin

I just don't get cruising with Stuffed Animals

He has been on every continent and is writing his second bucket list right now.

I was once hurriedly packing and squeezed Shackleton in the last few inches of my carry-on. As I was pulling the zipper to close the suitcase, I caught Shackleton's neck with the zipper! He looked like a magic trick gone very awry until I could work the zipper down. He was okay but had to have a few honey shooters to calm down.

This is fun thread and the pix make me smile!

:eek: Poor Shackleton! With a name like that to live up to though he has to be great under pressure.

M.A.R.K. (Mini Alien Robot of Kerri) is chilling upstairs and complaining that he needs more space in my shoulder bag for our cruise in 3 weeks and that I don't need to take all that other stuff.

:eek: Poor Shackleton! With a name like that to live up to though he has to be great under pressure.

Hence the honey shooters!

M.A.R.K. (Mini Alien Robot of Kerri) is chilling upstairs and complaining that he needs more space in my shoulder bag for our cruise in 3 weeks and that I don't need to take all that other stuff.

Does M.A.R.K have a favorite fortifying beverage?

Does M.A.R.K have a favorite fortifying beverage?
He's been too quick for me to catch him "sharing" my cocktails but I'll get him this cruise.

He does enjoy the restorative benefits of a tea or coffee in the morning. Don't know if it is the caffeine or the 3 sugars he takes.

P1130132.jpg

5 for 1 doesn't seem like a fair trade and I won't give up the chair hogs, so go ahead and keep judging me. I'm good with it. :)

OK, but mama once told me if you cant something nice don't say anything.

Anything.

I can understand someone who is mentally challenged and children. Never realized so many adults need to take a stuffed animal on vacation. This has been really enlightening...and creepy.

Saw this article today. Click on the "Legography" word in the article to go to the photos.

British photographer Andrew Whyte's "Legography" photo series features a Lego minifigure snapping shots of landmarks and scenic vistas. The photos offer a wonderful new way to see the world -- from the perspective of a one-and-a-half-inch toy.

http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/lego-man-captures-adventures-around-slideshow/

When we travel without our kids, we take honey the hamster and text pics back to them. Makes them laugh and reminds us of them every time we do it. As a school librarian, I just started a program for my kids to check out a mascot for vacation. Learning tool as they write a trip report and learn geography. My principal has the bulldog at Mardi Gras this weekend. As others have said, it's just a way to have fun. Also a great icebreaker as people ask about it.

Edited by hbs

I got George Washington when I was six and as you may have guessed , George Washington was my favorite president . I'm in my 20s now and George goes everywhere with me and still sleeps in my bed .

Here we are on our way to El Salvador ImageUploadedByForums1394268563.050794.jpg.8bb2216afc0d1c5cbe7d79339fe3c080.jpg

And he got his own seat on our plane ride to Seattle to board the Norwegian Jewel ImageUploadedByForums1394268633.035104.jpg.6a66821ebea1cc1058e5a4e8e6b59c4b.jpg

And he made a friend on the Disney Wonder ImageUploadedByForums1394268733.100059.jpg.794b5f6126ddabfe22ff9cd60038c714.jpg

I don't carry him on the ship or take him to dinner but he goes with me on all my trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cruiserninja1

We have a Pink TraOvel Monkey named Sun Wukong. We took him on a couple cruises and posed him all over the ship. After people asked us if he had a FB page we thought .....why not! Another time at the airport going home a woman behind us in line at check in said, "There is the Pink Monkey!, I have been looking all over the ship for him" We have met some amazing people with grand senses of humor because of our travel companion.

Growing up is boring and over rated!

We take our grandsons' monkeys and then each Christmas we make a book of the travels of... Our grandsons absolutely love reading about the antics of their monkeys :D even if we do feel very silly setting up the photo shoots, we do it out of love.

I have a stuffed kidney character that travels with me. I have a kidney disease and I have a blog where I write about not letting a kidney disease stand in the way of life. Beanie is the mascot for the blog, so I bring him along on adventures.

Fun is fun. As long as no one is in your face or disrupting your cruise, why waste time judging?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just recently read the start of a review and the couple was shown with a mascot of sorts... stuffed animal in the pictures.

and... saw another review with an Angry Bird all over the ship.

then I saw one with a pirate stuffed doll of some sort.

Can I just say..... I don't get it! :) Some of it is cute, while most is a bit ridiculous.

It reminds me of "Flat Stanley" that I made my kids take to the ball park one year.

Can't we just leave the toys at home? :p

Catrin

A lot of folks I have known doing this - and not just on cruises - don't feel comfortable appearing in online photos. The stuffed animal is just something to give the photos a focus and also provide something to judge scale by. Some of them are also fairly introverted. The stuffed animal gives them a way to sort of stand a step back from the things they post, and also a talking point for meeting people that isn't themselves.

We take our grandsons' monkeys and then each Christmas we make a book of the travels of... Our grandsons absolutely love reading about the antics of their monkeys :D even if we do feel very silly setting up the photo shoots, we do it out of love.

Precious! What a wonderful treasure for your grandsons! [emoji4]

We brought DD's Elf on The Shelf on our last cruise. She's 8 and looks forward to her elf, Julian, coming to see her after Thanksgiving. Julian had a good time folding towel animals and writing messages on the mirror while we were at sea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do it to have fun.. and since this thread opened up the door. I just can't understand why people worry about what other people do!

angrybird.jpg

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

I have read that Prince Charles' teddy bear is always packed with his other things when he travels. Don't know if the royal teddy actually gets to cavort around and have his picture taken, though lol. So it's not just cruisers who bring their fuzzy friends when they travel. I have heard of people hauling their own bed pillows from home when they travel, and that just sounds cumbersome.

Lorie

I love off beat people! If you bring a stuffed animal I will use that as an excuse to come talk to you and see what you're all about. I try to hang out with fun loving people wherever I go. When they are brave enough to be silly, I know they are up for a good time. I'll even pose for a picture with your stuffed adventurer!

We take girl cruises/trips every year..a couple of years ago one of our friends couldn't go....we purchased a blow up doll, nothing X RATED, dressed her and took her every where we went. It was a real conversation starter, we had people asking to have their picture taken with the doll after they heard the story behind her!!!! TOOOOO FUNNY! We made a scrap book for the girl that couldn't go, the doll was her stand in....

We take girl cruises/trips every year..a couple of years ago one of our friends couldn't go....we purchased a blow up doll, nothing X RATED, dressed her and took her every where we went. It was a real conversation starter, we had people asking to have their picture taken with the doll after they heard the story behind her!!!! TOOOOO FUNNY! We made a scrap book for the girl that couldn't go, the doll was her stand in....

Aw that's kinda cute that you missed her so much you took a stand in.

I've thought about getting a stuffed animal as a conversation starter. We had dinner one night on our last cruise with two gentlemen with stuffed animals. I felt like I let them down by not properly oooooh -ing and awwww -ing, but after raising two stuffed pet crazed girls, I'm kind of over stuffed animals. :o

I keep trying to think of something kind of original to choose instead. Spouse has nixed a couple of ideas. Which is sort of surprising, since normally he's of the whatever as long as I don't have to carry it persuasion. ha! :D

I do it for a friends kid for their class. The kids send their stuffed animals on vacations with friends and family. Then we send post cards back from each island. I use an app where the postcard is a picture of the animal on that island.

724784c9f4f9ef58bd3764c001880754.jpgf440eff59d8cb896802e0131de28dd5b.jpge2db26931fd20992f3f32263a8545b36.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's fun...once again, I am not bothered by what other people do to have fun on vacation.

I am way too busy having fun to notice other people.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No worse than having to sit near a snotty nosed cranky kid.

Or some self-righteous snob.

My mother, who is 70+ years old, brings her full-sized teddy bear **plus several changes of clothes for the bear** wherever she travels, including our cruises. She doesn't take him around the ship but he does like to hang out in our cabin window. She bought him a little stuffed salmon in Alaska to be his traveling companion. On our Alaskan cruise, I bought a larger stuffed salmon as well as a stuffed eagle and I did cart them all around the ship and took their pictures, which was a lot of fun. I took a stuffed giraffe on our last cruise to Bermuda. And about to leave again in a month, currently debating which animal I'm going to bring with me. I tend to wear weird hats; on said Alaska cruise, my mother bought me an orca hat (that I had looked at and put back) and I wore that thing all over the ship, and since I skipped my grad school graduation for my Bermuda cruise, I decorated and wore a graduation cap for a couple days. I also always bring my captain's hat which is a hit with the crew. My new thing will be an orca bag that I'll be bringing with me and will use around the ship. We sail HAL which I find to be enjoyable if somewhat stuffy (and not in the animal sense), but as long as I can have my fun without ticking off anyone too badly I'm good. The captain on the Alaska trip I don't think was too happy about posing for a photo with a stuffed salmon though.... :)

Enjoyed reading through this thread; wish there were more personal mascots in evidence on our voyages!

Just saw this thread, yes it is an old thread but it has come back to life somewhat.

We always take a small stuffed cat with us on vacation. We call him Road Trip Kitty and that is what he does he goes travelling. He has been on cruises, has traveled in my tank bag on my motorcycle, saw Minnie Mouse in DisneyWorld (and had his picture taken with her) and has been to Vegas several times.

He was given to me by a friend when my step brother passed away, so I decided I was going to take RTK on trips that my step bro should have gone on had he lived. Lots of world to see so lots of miles to travel. Next up Alaska and then Panama.

K

M.A.R.K (mini alien robot of Kerri) is still traveling with me. He's looking forward to Carnival Glory, the last week of August. IMG_20180525_081518_397.jpg.ad8675d8f0dce209754a955646c34db5.jpg

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Forums mobile app

IMG_20180525_082634_805.jpg.122cdd883f00434f09114debbb8d83ed.jpg

I made the killer mistake of buying my wife a bride and groom tatty teddy and gave it to her on our wedding day. Now every single holiday these bears make the trip with us. Luckily they dont follow us around the entire trip but they MUST get a photo at the airport, on deck,in the room with the towel animals and at least on a beach/pool. We are heading to New York in a weeks time and I noticed they are already sitting next to our tickets and passports.