Rome to Cruise Port and a couple other questions

threeoverfour

Leaving in a couple days and trying to finalize all my plans. Staying at Albergo del Senato. From FCO, I am planning to take a taxi to the hotel and will look for the official sticker on the window and expect to pay 40 Euros. If there are any other tips anyone has, I'd appreciate it.

From the hotel to the cruise port, I was planning to take the train. Can anyone tell me specifically how I should get to the train station, which train station to go to, etc. We are relatively young and don't mind walking if necessary but will be carrying all of our luggage so wouldn't want to walk too far. When we arrive in Civitavecchia, is the port close enough to walk to? Thanks!

We are planning to go to the Vatican. Is it reasonably walkable from here?

Can anyone recommend some awesome, reasonably priced restaurants in the Pantheon area for dinner? We are looking for an authentic Italian meal (veal parm, ravioli, etc) at non-tourist prices. Any tips we should know about (I have read they charge for the bread).

Finally, is there anywhere in this area to buy a couple bottles of wine to bring on the ship?

I recently stayed at Albergo del Senato and took the train. Here's what I did. I got a taxi (from the stand right next to the Pantheon) to take me to Trastevere station. It's relatively close (closer than Termini) and easy to navigate. I looked up train times in advance and chose one that ended at Civitavecchia so as not to have to worry too much about getting off the train in time with my luggage, as I was traveling solo. The taxi fare was not much; I don't remember the exact amount but it was between 5-10 euro.

At Civitavecchia, you will walk about 4-5 blocks to the port entrance (keeping the water on your left as you go), where you can pick up the free port shuttle bus to your ship.

From Albergo del Senato, I'd estimate the walk to the Vatican to be about 30-40 minutes to the square in front of St Peters, and a bit more to the entrance of the Vatican museum -- not sure which one you are planning.

There are any number of restaurants in the Pantheon area. Just stroll around and look at menus until something appeals to you. The farther off the piazza you get, the less touristy the restaurant is likely to be. However, I'm not exactly sure whether veal parmigiana is really an Italian dish -- I think it's Italian-American? One tip I can share is that you should definitely pay attention to the daily specials; often they are the freshest and most seasonal dishes on offer. However, ALWAYS ask the price of a special if it is not offered. Some touristy restaurants charge an unscrupulous amount for an off-the-menu special.

As for wine, there is a supermarket very close to the hotel. If you walk out the door of the Albergo del Senato and walk directly across the Piazza to the other side then turn right and walk about a half block, you'll come across a street called via Giustiniani. Turn left on it (away from the piazza), and you'll see the entrance to the store within a few yards on your right. They've got a decent selection and prices (go to the room in the back).

We were in Rome recently and if you want to go to the Vatican museum I would strongly suggest getting a ticket ahead of time. We did it with a tour and walked right in but the line for people just showing up was several blocks long and wasn't moving very fast so it wouldn't surprise me that the wait to get in was well over an hour or more.

Getting into St Peters and the square of course isn't a problem but just remember you can't have a backpack or even a large handbag or they will require you to check it before entering St Peters.

Have a great next cruise.

The train is not difficult to do. You need to be able to lift your luggage up onto the train and get if off at the other end. You also will probably have to go down and up a flight of steps at Civitavecchia to cross the tracks. From there it is an easy ten minute walk to the port entrance where shuttle busses operated by the port will take you to your ship. As you are doing this just think of the money you are saving!

Do a search for Tom's Port Guides and Ron in Rome for much more information.

Can anyone recommend some awesome, reasonably priced restaurants in the Pantheon area for dinner? We are looking for an authentic Italian meal (veal parm, ravioli, etc) at non-tourist prices. Any tips we should know about (I have read they charge for the bread).

Be advised that it is illegal to charge pane e coperto in Rome unless it's clearly written on the menu. If it's not, and you find this charge on your bill, don't pay it.

This is a great article about eating in Italy:

http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/travel-tips/how-not-to-get-ripped-off-eating-in-italy

We elected to not use the train because of the flight steps at Civitavecchia to cross the tracks I had read about. With two pieces of rolling luggage each and a backpack each we decided that wasn't an option at our age. I had also heard about steps at the station in Rome but since we didn't do it I can't verify it.

Have a great next cruise.

Do NOT expect food in Rome to be like "Italian" food in the USA. I have NEVER seen veal parm or eggplant parm on a menu in Italy!

Don't go looking for a particular dish. Go and read the menu and try something that is a "special" for the day or anything that sounds good to you.

I wouldn't worry about the pan e coperto charge , it is very small.

Your hotel will be able to suggest restaurants and make dinner reservations for you. The hotel is known for good service. I have eaten at: Armando al Pantheon and L'Angoletto and enjoyed the food at both of them. They are close to the hotel.

I agree with the previous posters regarding authentic italian food... to get that, you should pretty much wipe out any thoughts you have in your head as to what "real" italian is supposed to be... I wouldn't even make reservations, just take a walk, and check the street side menus for something that sounds (or looks, if there are pictures) good.

We found a great place a few blocks north east of the Pantheon that had outdoor and indoor seating in a small unmarked piazza... half the fun of Rome is finding gems such as that... usually fantastic food, exceptional wine, and good prices.

Thanks for all the great info. My wife's family is all from Italy so I will have to tell them the great food they've served me all these years has not been authentic, I'm sure that will go over well!

It's not that it's not authentic, it's just not authentic Italian, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiana

Leaving in a couple days and trying to finalize all my plans. Staying at Albergo del Senato. From FCO, I am planning to take a taxi to the hotel and will look for the official sticker on the window and expect to pay 40 Euros. If there are any other tips anyone has, I'd appreciate it.

From the hotel to the cruise port, I was planning to take the train. Can anyone tell me specifically how I should get to the train station, which train station to go to, etc. We are relatively young and don't mind walking if necessary but will be carrying all of our luggage so wouldn't want to walk too far. When we arrive in Civitavecchia, is the port close enough to walk to? Thanks!

We are planning to go to the Vatican. Is it reasonably walkable from here?

Finally, is there anywhere in this area to buy a couple bottles of wine to bring on the ship?

Good choice on hotel. It's, by far, my favorite! We've walked to the Vatican several times from the Albergo.

There are many places around the Pantheon that are reasonable. Check out the restaurant page on the Rome forum on the Trip Advisor. It's an amazing source of information.

As for wine, there is a supermarket very close to the hotel. If you walk out the door of the Albergo del Senato and walk directly across the Piazza to the other side then turn right and walk about a half block, you'll come across a street called via Giustiniani. Turn left on it (away from the piazza), and you'll see the entrance to the store within a few yards on your right. They've got a decent selection and prices (go to the room in the back).

Funny story, sort of. We had asked our driver to stop at a supermarket for us to get some alcohol before our trip. The last of our three days we finally wandered "the other way" and found this.... if you exit the hotel and turn left and walk down just past the Pantheon there is a little store there that is remarkedly well stocked. A huge (well for the size of the store) selection of both wine and alcohol. We had to laugh. We had just wandered to see what was down that way and hadn't bothered to bring any money so we couldn't buy anything. We could have bought a better selection then the other store and more. They had a bunch of souvenir type stuff too. We could have bought food to snack on in the room as well.

Thanks for all the great info. My wife's family is all from Italy so I will have to tell them the great food they've served me all these years has not been authentic, I'm sure that will go over well!

My husband's family are Sicilian, and what I have learnt over the years is just how regional the food is in Italy. Even to the extent that my husband's favourite cannoli, with chocolate custard (not ricotta) comes from the Western side of Sicily. These can be bought easily here in the suburbs in Sydney and in London and no doubt, in New York. But try as he did, he could not find any in Eastern Sicily.

You've already received two good recs, but I'll add a third: Trattoria Fiammetta.

If you head north out of the Piazza Navona, continue north through Piazza Fiammetta and onto Via G. Zanardelli. Here, you'll find a restaurant that serves the best baked lasagna I've ever eaten. As you enter the restaurant look for the chalk boards listing the dailing specials, and the one board that lists the specials that have already been sold out. Their famous lasagna is always available. Very friendly to tourists, but well patronized by locals. My husband and I had a lovely Sunday lunch there surrounded by big Italian family groups eating the traditional Sunday meal out together.

After your meal, consider strolling on Via dei Coronari towards the Tiber River and, then, across Bernini's Angel Bridge (two of the prettiest places in Rome) before returning to the Piazza Rotonda and a gelato fix.

We stayed at del Senato last May (non-cruise trip) and the location was excellent. You do pay a lot for that and the rooms are quite small (though nice) so just be prepared.

The reception desk staff will gladly recommend places for you to eat but our sense was that they only recommend places that take good care of them. Their suggestions were just o.k. in our minds.

We enjoyed an relatively inexpensive meal at a place on the back side of Piazza Navona called Osteria dell'Anima. Great service and good food.

You can definitely walk to the Vatican but it is 30 or 40 minutes. We walked home once and used a cab the second time.

The reception desk staff will gladly recommend places for you to eat but our sense was that they only recommend places that take good care of them. Their suggestions were just o.k. in our minds.

It must be incredibly difficult for a hotel to make recommendations ... I suspect that many go for what they perceive as "safe" options - nothing too unique, or too expensive, or too anything.

At the Civitavecchia train station if it's raining or you just don't feel like hauling your luggage to the port entrance, you can take a taxi from the station directly to your ship for just 15 euros fixed price. It's true that the steps down and up to cross under the tracks can be horribly tiring depending on how much you're carrying (baggage weight as well as years!).

I am 55 and my wife is 46. We did not have any significant issues with walking or climbing train station steps on our recent trip in Rome or Civitavecchia. We each had a fairly large heavy suitcase and a carryon bag (cheap but well constructed diaper bags we bought at Walmart). We just took our time with the train station steps at Civitavecchia to get to and from train platforms.

We developed a simple technique for getting our suitcases on and off trains. Boarding - set the suitcase up on the train before climbing the steps rather than trying to lug the suitcase while climbing the steps. Getting off - set the suitcase down at the top of the steps, walk down the steps to the train platform, then pull the suitcase down. Much easier.

Train station to port entrance is an easy 10 minute walk. You have to use the port buses to get to the ship, because as you'll see A. it's roughly a mile to the ship from the port entrance, and B. the area is not pedestrian friendly. But they were lined up for us, ready to go every few minutes.

I am 55 and my wife is 46. We did not have any significant issues with walking or climbing train station steps on our recent trip in Rome or Civitavecchia. We each had a fairly large heavy suitcase and a carryon bag (cheap but well constructed diaper bags we bought at Walmart). We just took our time with the train station steps at Civitavecchia to get to and from train platforms.

I'm often amazed at the people who say the stairs are too much, and pay for a transfer for $50 more. Try asking the same person "Would you carry your suitcase up a flight of stairs if I paid you $50"

I'm often amazed at the people who say the stairs are too much, and pay for a transfer for $50 more. Try asking the same person "Would you carry your suitcase up a flight of stairs if I paid you $50"

Good one!

I take a rolling bag and a small backpack. Going slowly it is easy to roll the bag up or down stairs. For the train one person should board first while the other hands up the luggage.

There were cabs at the train station in May, 5 euros per person and worth every penny. Took us right to the ship check in. I don't remember climbing stairs. Is there more than one track?

We got to Termini mid morning , found the kiosk and bought our ticket. It is a long walk to the track for the Civitavechia train, we walked briskly and walked right onto the train 5 minutes before departure. Trains run every hour or so.

We've also used Rome Cabs for this transfer but the train was a heck of lot cheaper and not that difficult.

Nope - no stairs and no train for me. With one bad knee and 3 suitcases and 2 carryons between the two of us - I will gladly pay for a private ride to the port from our hotel/apt in Rome. I am, after all, on vacation :D

That "temporary" building has been there for years...... :eek:

Archived