Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

travelin_nat

Alaska - when to go??

We're currently booked on Rhapsody to Alaska 6/1/12. I noticed prices are lower in May, and seem to increase each week. Can anyone give me insight to this pricing strategy? Does it have anything to do with scenery, or more to do with school vacations? We need to take our vacation early in the summer, so it needs to be that first week of June, or sooner. I'm just wondering if I move it up, is there something I may miss out on?

TIA,

Nat

Weather is better midSummer and schools are out so more family vacations. Take a chance you can always go back. We did a cruise only and a few years later we did a cruise land tour. A trip to Denali is a must for USA citizens. I got such a great appreciation for the vastness and diversity in the 50 states.

We went this past summer may 21 and yes better rates, we were cold everyday except in juneau and I actually got a sunburn and the weather was clear enough for glacier trekking, because dog sledding or trekking can get cancellled, there was a lot of ice in water and we missed Hubbard glacier altogether, but I heard this was a weird yr with the ice, so my point is it's luck of draw, but like previous stated in other post, I'm sure mid summer is better but with a pretty price, hope this helps some, sorry for typos, don't know show to delete without erasing whole sentence, new iPad

Have sailed to Alaska 4 times, twice in the time frame you mentioned and LOVED the longer hours of daylight, the snowcapped mountains, and the amazing opportunity for longer whale viewing (we spent every waking moment on deck scanning the seas and were not disappointed;).) Of course you'll miss the salmon runs (too early) and therefore, the opportunity to more easily see bears. But we did see a few bruins in that time frame - along the Klondike Highway up to the Yukon eating dandelions right by the road, and one eating sedgegrass along the shore in Juneau on our whale watch, so you just never know.

Go, enjoy, and be mesmerized by the magnificent scenery. You're gonna love Alaska!:D

We went this past summer may 21 and yes better rates, we were cold everyday except in juneau and I actually got a sunburn and the weather was clear enough for glacier trekking, because dog sledding or trekking can get cancellled, there was a lot of ice in water and we missed Hubbard glacier altogether, but I heard this was a weird yr with the ice, so my point is it's luck of draw, but like previous stated in other post, I'm sure mid summer is better but with a pretty price, hope this helps some, sorry for typos, don't know show to delete without erasing whole sentence, new iPad

Put your finger on the word and press, a pop up menu will appear and the cursor will be on the word in question. Select - delete, etc.

Did not mean to high jack the thread.

Went to Alaska in July. Check Picts in link in my Sig.

June 1st is our anniversary, hense the reason we last cruised to Alaska at that time. Yes, it is colder, and more rain. You will not see the calving as much at the glaciers, and sometimes the ship cannot get that close due to icebergs...but we had a great time. :)

This time we are going in August, so it will be interesting to see the climate change in this

choice, though the price does indeed reflect that heavier tourist time.

Having lived in Pac. NW most of my life (just not currently :() I figure weather is the biggest factor followed by hours of daylight. In Puget Sound area we always figured summer did not really start (meaning rain finally stopped) until the week after 4th of July and really get into dry season until August 1. August and September are typically the driest and warmest months all the way up to Alaska. When we cruised up there we went in late June so as to be onboard on Summer Solstice. Crusing across the Gulf of Alaska with the sun still up at 1am was magical.

But early June has some benefits such as waterfalls will be bigger and lower southern peaks still have snow on tops. Might have a little more drizzle but that goes with the territory. Just prepare to keep dry and enjoy.

Put your finger on the word and press, a pop up menu will appear and the cursor will be on the word in question. Select - delete, etc.

SORRY :) Thanks for the tip on my iPad, I'm going to look at your pictures now and re-live my trip :)

Loved the pictures, have a question for you, was going dog sledding worth the money? I know it's something like 500 pp right? With you going to Hubbard in July, was there very much ice, it looks like yall got pretty close, I was so bummed that we missed it due to ice/fog, we did get to see glacier bay though

Loved the pictures, have a question for you, was going dog sledding worth the money? I know it's something like 500 pp right? With you going to Hubbard in July, was there very much ice, it looks like yall got pretty close, I was so bummed that we missed it due to ice/fog, we did get to see glacier bay though

My wife loved the dog sledding. She said it was worth every penny and I have to agree. I was hesitant on even cruising to Alaska, I'm a beach bum, but the dog sledding was the highlight of the cruise.

Seeing the glacier up close and caving was also an experience. It sounded like thunder when it came off and hit the water.

Thanks for the info and the pictures! The train ride reminds me a little of the Durango to Silverton ride in Colorado.

Dagored - I see you took a trip to San Antonio - hope you enjoyed it.

Not sure what we are going to do yet, but at least now I have some information upon which we can base our decision.

Happy sailing!

I went to Alaska the first week in June 2010 and it was great. We had great weather - not too cold, just a light jacket. The only time we needed scarves or gloves was when we were on glacier/wildlife cruises. We saw a ton of animals out, saw glaciers calving, and didn't have to deal with freezing temps, snow, or ice. I had planned out a land trip and noted that prices did keep going up after that month for all activities and that first week of June was great for value.