Difference between Australian and American style cruising

Despite them being affordable, P&O Australia's (and Carnival's) ships are still very nice ships. They're not dank, mouldy rustbuckets. Plus the vibe about the ships is great and the staff are wonderful.

I AGREE

If they were dark and dank, mouldy rust buckets we wouldn't sail on them:)

DO I WANT TO TRAVEL ON A P&O Australia SHIP?

At the weekend i sailed on the 2 day Radiance EXPERIENCE.

During the whole weekend i sighted 2 not unacceptable public behaviors by ship board guests.

In both cases they clearly identified themselves as having some sort of affinity to P & O Australia through the advertised POSH Hats and T Shirt clothing they wore,however they might have been just unruly/rude Australians? (their clothing made me THINK what MAY happen on a P&O Australian ship,maybe they picked up their clothes in a Vinnies shop or by a relative? )

One lot mooned by the pool/drunk and the other was having a conversation between their friends between the top deck Atrium and their mates 3 decks down.ie What cabin are you in and lets visit later, went the long distance conversation?

For whatever reason their P&O clothing made me simply think, is this what happens on a P&O Australia Ship?

Maybe i have been lucky not to have ever been confronted by this type of public outburst on the 30 Cruises i have completed and none being P&O Aust?

During the whole weekend i sighted 2 not unacceptable public behaviors by ship board guests.

In both cases they clearly identified themselves as having some sort of affinity to P & O Australia through the advertised POSH Hats and T Shirt clothing they wore,however they might have been just unruly/rude Australians? (their clothing made me THINK what MAY happen on a P&O Australian ship,maybe they picked up their clothes in a Vinnies shop or by a relative? )

One lot mooned by the pool/drunk and the other was having a conversation between their friends between the top deck Atrium and their mates 3 decks down.ie What cabin are you in and lets visit later, went the long distance conversation?

For whatever reason their P&O clothing made me simply think, is this what happens on a P&O Australia Ship?

Maybe i have been lucky not to have ever been confronted by this type of public outburst on the 30 Cruises i have completed and none being P&O Aust?

Short cruises can often be associated with booze cruises and sometimes attract a people who go for that reason- a short, boozey break.

We like longer cruises but have booked a 5 night cruise to Tasmania on Dawn Princess April 2013

In both cases they clearly identified themselves as having some sort of affinity to P & O Australia through the advertised POSH Hats and T Shirt clothing they wore,however they might have been just unruly/rude Australians?

POSH is actually a P&O UK and not P&O Australia branding.

we were cruising to Hawaii a couple of years ago on a Princess ship and this drunk wanted to fight security, they confined him to his cabin and put a stop on his card and kicked his wife and him off in Tahitti

Once again , we have somebody - shooting from the hip with mouth and lips flapping!! But - they have no idea what they are talking about. They have never cruised on a P&O AUS ship - but do have a superior attitude.

They ask/imply -- Somebody wears a T-shirt with POSH on it , and are drunk and obnoxious -so they MUST have something to do with P&O AUS.

Who knows ?? Perhaps they have something to do with the POSH CLUB????? associated with a well known Aussie cruising travel agency TA http://www.ecruising.travel/posh.aspx - or perhaps not. If so, it appears that you have to be a "Platinum member " to get the T-shirt - so that would mean that they are very well cruised members. Can well cruised members of a cruising club still be a********s ? I will leave that up to others personal experience.

These people are from the type whose philosophy is " I have never tried it - and I don't like it", or "I'm superior to you - therefore what I like is superior to what you like" or "Don't tell me the facts - I've already made up my mind!"

Barry

Once again , we have somebody - shooting from the hip with mouth and lips flapping!! But - they have no idea what they are talking about. They have never cruised on a P&O AUS ship - but do have a superior attitude.

They say -- Somebody wears a T-shirt with POSH on it , and are drunk and obnoxious -so they MUST have something to do with P&O AUS.

Who knows ?? Perhaps they have something to do with the POSH CLUB????? associated with a well known Aussie TA http://www.ecruising.travel/posh.aspx

Quiet Clearly You simply DID NOT READ MY POST CLEARLY at all.Are you wearing BLINKERS?

Just somehow i knew you (bazzaw) would be the attacker to my post of fact.

I read your post very clearly!!

Your unsubstantiated assertation that these obnoxious people were wearing P&O clothing - followed by your wonderment as to whether "is this what happens on a P&O ship?" is clear enough for me.

You can't weasel your way out of what you have openly stated.

Barry

The term POSH has been associated with P&O lines and a few other lines. It just stands for Port Out Starboard Home. It was all about keeping to the shady side of the ship back in the days when airconditioning was non existant.

I have only cruised with P&O UK and Princess and have never encountered any bad behaviour from anyone. Just recently tried Radiance on that same weekend cruise. I mainly enjoyed the pool area and sun as well as the theatre shows. I was travelling with someone else and me and her kept to ourselves enjoying the ship and each others company.

A few years ago chanel 7's Today Tonight did several segments based on P&O Australia - now they really did give them a bashing - and even I think their reports were mostly scripted.

One thing I think cruising should be is a good time that gets you away from the typical yobbos and anti-social behaviour that is infecting the nights out in major cities these days.

I did read your post, and to avoid any confusion I have quoted it. You did say that with their 'POSH' clothing they clearly identified themselves as having some sort of affinity with P&O Aust. I have cruised on P&O many many times and have never seen clothing with POSH on it. It is not from P&O Aust so I am puzzled why you would identify it as such and use this as a reason not to sail on P&O.

As you probably POSH is an English acronym from the old days of sailing out to the British Empire in the Middle East. Nothing to do with P&O Aust.

I haven't ever seen behaviour such as this on any ship - P&O or otherwise, but then I have only done three short cruises. All our other cruises (38 in total) have been long.

I think they would have been just unruly/rude Australians and it is unfortunate you encountered them. However, it is quite likely there will be unruly people on short cruises that some people see at a time to drink non-stop.

If you are going to blame anyone (other than the rude people involved) it would be the Security staff on the Radiance.

The term POSH has been associated with P&O lines and a few other lines. It just stands for Port Out Starboard Home. It was all about keeping to the shady side of the ship back in the days when airconditioning was non existant.

I have only cruised with P&O UK and Princess and have never encountered any bad behaviour from anyone. Just recently tried Radiance on that same weekend cruise. I mainly enjoyed the pool area and sun as well as the theatre shows. I was travelling with someone else and me and her kept to ourselves enjoying the ship and each others company.

A few years ago chanel 7's Today Tonight did several segments based on P&O Australia - now they really did give them a bashing - and even I think their reports were mostly scripted.

One thing I think cruising should be is a good time that gets you away from the typical yobbos and anti-social behaviour that is infecting the nights out in major cities these days.

Sotho

I agree with everything you have said here . Personally, I have never seen any obnoxious behaviour during our cruises - that is not to say however that it doesn't happen. I have heard about it happening more so on these short "cruises to nowhere ". I was recently reading a thread in the CC Cunard sub-forum where people were complaining about it happening on the short cruises that Cunard sometimes run out of Southampton.

Barry

One aspect I have noticed on P&O cruises compared with other cruiselines I have been on, is the Security. It is clearly evident and there are closed-circuit cameras everywhere. A fairly senior crew member who had come from P&O UK remarked that he hadn't ever seen such a strong security presence.

The strong security presence is not because of unruly behaviour that goes on currently, but was put in place after the very unfortunate death on a P&O ship ten years ago. I believe it is because P&O can't take any chances because if there are reports of bad behaviour, the media will beat it up incredibly.

On a two or three-night cruise Security can't put offenders off in the next port, but they can confine them to their cabin (the modern equivalent of the brig).

That is indeed the origin of POSH, but it is before my days of cruising. :):)

Its evident that this thread will continue just like our Australian Courts have evidenced bad behavior on P&0 Australia ships many times and just like more and more other Australians are now preferring Toyota Cars over Holden s, due to lack of quality.However the GMH Holden supporters just wont admit any difference but sales do.

I made no secret that the wearers of the T Shirts and Posh made me simply think about P&O Australia. Isn't thats why people advertise?

Its evident that this thread will continue just like our Australian Courts have evidenced bad behavior on P&0 Australia ships many times and just like more and more other Australians are now preferring Toyota Cars over Holden s, due to lack of quality.However the GMH Holden supporters just wont admit any difference but sales do.

I made no secret that the wearers of the T Shirts and Posh made me simply think about P&O Australia. Isn't thats why people advertise?

You really puzzle me.:) The only time I am aware that bad behaviour on P&O ships has reached the Courts is with the unfortunate incident ten years ago.

I am trying to figure out the relevance to Toyotas and Holdens and quality. Are you comparing P&O Aust to Holden and being a lesser quality????

I don't know why the POSH clothing made you think of P&O. It wouldn't with most of us or with anyone who has cruised with P&O Aust. So (sorry to say this) but it is all in your mind. :)

All due respect to you, but I was hoping you could have posted an apology or at least an "I was wrong".

On our Indonesian cruise AUGUST 30th- September 11- a guy and his mother left the ship at Broome- he was kicked off and she went with him.

He had hit his girlfriend and I believe charges were laid against him.

I saw him leave the ship with his mother and their bags late afternoon before Pacific Sun left Broome.

People who knew him were talking near the pursers desk and it seemed that they felt his expulsion was rightly justified.

P&O do deal with poor behaviour as there was also talk on board ship of another family asked to leave when parents would not deal with their young son's unacceptable behaviour.

I have never felt that on the three P&O cruises we have been on that passenger safety has been compromised by poor behaviour- P&O do deal with issues as they arise and offending passengers are responsible for any alternative means of getting back home.

Me thinks the testosterone fairy has been sprinkling her dust :eek:

Radiance was not exempt from drunken unacceptable behaviour. I saw plenty of it in the nightclub between midnight and 3am and it would compare equally to the same behaviour on P&O ships of short duration......the key being short duration.

That's what happens when you don't drink.............you see a lot :D :p

On our Indonesian cruise AUGUST 30th- September 11- a guy and his mother left the ship at Broome- he was kicked off and she went with him.

He had hit his girlfriend and I believe charges were laid against him.

I saw him leave the ship with his mother and their bags late afternoon before Pacific Sun left Broome.

People who knew him were talking near the pursers desk and it seemed that they felt his expulsion was rightly justified.

P&O do deal with poor behaviour as there was also talk on board ship of another family asked to leave when parents would not deal with their young son's unacceptable behaviour.

I have never felt that on the three P&O cruises we have been on that passenger safety has been compromised by poor behaviour- P&O do deal with issues as they arise and offending passengers are responsible for any alternative means of getting back home.

Bye jingies, a good reason not travel P&O Australia.3 P&O Ships you have traveled on and you knew of poor behaviour on 2 occasions,Police Involvement?Gosh it is good that Security are alert on board P&O Australia Ships?

All of the many cruises i have been on including the Diamond Princess had many many Australians aboard more than once, and there was never ever any sign of bad behavior.Far from it.Australians are always great travel mates.

It is the shorter cruises that attract the yobbos. They should make it clear in advetising that yobbos are not welcome.

I have heard all about the unfortunate Brimble incident that forced P&O Australia to change their security policy resulting in all the cameras. It is true that this level of security does not exist on P&O UK. P&O UK learnt the grim reality of "cheap cruises" with their notorius Ventura Christmas Cruise a few years back.

I think Radiance of the Seas was a great cruise. I did not attend the night clubs as the friend I was travelling with has done some high profile modelling and tv acting and she wanted a low profile so most of my time was just the shows, pool, and dining as well as the deck sports.

Thanks a good reason to not travel P&O Australia.3 P&O Ships you have traveled on and you new of poor behaviour on 2 occasions,Police Involvement?Gosh it is good that Security are alert on board P&O Australian Ships?

All of the many cruises i have been on including the Diamond Princess had many many Australians aboard more than once, and there was never ever any sign of bad behavior.Far from it.

I have been on similar Princess cruises with Australians and totally agree.

Its tough to say but fortunately the price range of Princess is out of reach of the yobbos.

I did Sapphire Princess back in 2005 for 12 night Australia/New Zealand. Back then it was around $3400. There was a group of younger Australians that met each night in Skywalkers and we all had a great time and were treated to drinks complements of the Executive Purser as for a large young group there was no security incidents at all.

On my 38 cruises (25 or so on P&O Aust) I have never seen bad behaviour. I did hear about one incident on a cruise I was on where a young man on his honeymoon sat on a railing. He was seen on CCTV was put off the ship at the next port (Vila) and his wife stayed on board. Except for the old days on the Fairstar I haven't seen drunks or anyone else behaving badly.

I think the cruises where bad behaviour is more likely are the short ones rather than a particular cruise line. Barry remarked that there was bad behaviour on a Cunard short cruise. Normally I would have thought that the price factor would have kept out the 'yobbos' and left the cruise to the old and wealthy. But they can also be rude and objectionable :) on occasions, just in a different way.

Its tough to say but fortunately the price range of Princess is out of reach of the yobbos.

That is so funny. :)

Sometimes people say they won't go on P&O because cruises cost the same as on the other cruiselines, but the ships aren't as good. :)

I did Sapphire Princess back in 2005 for 12 night Australia/New Zealand. Back then it was around $3400. There was a group of younger Australians that met each night in Skywalkers and we all had a great time and were treated to drinks complements of the Executive Purser as for a large young group there was no security incidents at all.

More The Reason why more and more Australians are giving up their Holden Cars in favour of Toyota.However, tell that to a fair dinkum Holden Man.

Archived