Difference between Australian and American style cruising

Very True simply go onto the Car Forums and Caravan Forums and they cannot see beyond P&O Australia.OOPS i meant Holden.

If I could have a luxury car (Mercedes or similar) for the same price we paid for our Japanese car, I would go for it. If I could have a cruise on Cunard at the same price we paid for P&O, yes I would go for it for the experience, however I might find it a bit 'stuffy'. With cruises it is not only the 'standard' of the ship, but the staff, the activities and the other passengers. We have cruised twice on HAL (long cruises) and although we enjoyed them, there weren't many activities and our table companions were rather pretentious.

As has been mentioned, the 'other passengers' factor can be a negative on short cruises on any cruise line.

*sigh* Once again we find ourselves dealing with people making comments about a cruise line they've never actually experienced. And, because some of us have actually experienced P&O Australia, we are considered "yobbos". I'm sick to death of the holier than thou attitude that some people seem to have. We're all cruise lovers, none of us are yobbos (yobbos have trouble spelling their own names, let alone carrying on a written conversation on a message board) and just because you have or haven't cruised on a certain cruise line doesn't make you better than anyone else.

*sigh* Once again we find ourselves dealing with people making comments about a cruise line they've never actually experienced. And, because some of us have actually experienced P&O Australia, we are considered "yobbos". I'm sick to death of the holier than thou attitude that some people seem to have. We're all cruise lovers, none of us are yobbos (yobbos have trouble spelling their own names, let alone carrying on a written conversation on a message board) and just because you have or haven't cruised on a certain cruise line doesn't make you better than anyone else.

No one is considering yourself that your a Yobbo. Simply Harsh words for other Australians that come back and advise other Australians to try the other cruise lines.

You are correct,i was Fine Tuned by the P&O T Shirt wearers,mooning and shouting,on Radiance, reminded me more and more of Australians along with our previous posters about not so good behaviour on P&O Australia.Yes and those that cause trouble are simply Yobbos.

The more i hear i dont want to try them.

No one is considering yourself that your a Yobbo? Simply Harsh words for other Australians that come back and advise other Australians to try the other cruise lines.

You are correct,i was Fine Tuned by the P&O T Shirt wearers,mooning and shouting,on Radiance reminded me more and more of Australians along with our previous posters about not so good behaviour on P&O Australia.Yes and those that cause trouble are simply Yobbos.

P&O UK are the company associated with POSH, not P&O Australia. So you were mistaken about that. Others posted that a lot of cruise lines experience troublemakers on their short cruises, including RCI and Cunard. I guess troublemakers aren't exclusive to any one line. This misplaced discrimination you hold against P&O Australia and their clientele is baffling.

No one is considering yourself that your a Yobbo. Simply Harsh words for other Australians that come back and advise other Australians to try the other cruise lines.

You are correct,i was Fine Tuned by the P&O T Shirt wearers,mooning and shouting,on Radiance, reminded me more and more of Australians along with our previous posters about not so good behaviour on P&O Australia.Yes and those that cause trouble are simply Yobbos.

The Yobbos you experienced were on RCI, not P&O. If you want to 'blame' anyone, blame RCI. It is puzzling that you cannot (or don't want to) see this. :)

What you are seeing here is a typical mentality of people who refuse to accept other peoples opinions.

I have looked on facebook many times. There have been people who have ligitimate complaints about P&O Australia and ask for assistance by posting something on its wall. Sureley enough there are the P&O defenders that come along and attack the person who started it.

I stated on here that I would never choose HAL as a line to sail with - I never got a single response regarding that.

When I stated I would never sail with P&O Australia I got quite immature and unsusual responses from people defending the line.

As I said earlier there are Australians that love Bali and consider it paradise. I do not and consider it the worst possible place for a holiday and would not wish it upon my worst enemy.

I knew before I visited Bali that it would be a complete slum. Sure enough on my first World Cruise I was proved right.

My point is that it is possible to use intuition and decide for yourself the type of thing you will or will not like without having to try it do decide first.

The strangest thing I find about this is if people really dont want to try P&O Australia, why do these defenders of the line go out and try and insist it is good? Why on earth would these defenders want us who dont like it on the ships? I certainly have no intention of trying the line.

P&O UK are the company associated with POSH, not P&O Australia. So you were mistaken about that. Others posted that a lot of cruise lines experience troublemakers on their short cruises, including RCI and Cunard. I guess troublemakers aren't exclusive to any one line. This misplaced discrimination you hold against P&O Australia and their clientele is baffling.

Its Not Baffling at all. Its whats discussed by other Australians around ON BOARD Diner Tables and Windjammers and Horizon Courts and the Lido Decks by OTHER AUSTRALIANS on other Lines.

Again you mention, Clientele and that is misfounded as its simply the Idiots/Yobbos that cause concern to those out there looking for a quality cruising experience.

Sutho,

I (and some others) are objecting because someone has seen objectionable behaviour on an RCI ship, they say they will never cruise on P&O. This is totally illogical. If anything it should make the person say they will never cruise on RCI again.

I have an idea you said you wouldn't sail with HAL because you thought it would be too staid. Am I correct? Actually their ships are beautiful, but they couldn't be called 'fun ships' (if I dare use that politically incorrect term nowadays). You probably didn't get much reaction to your comment because there aren't any HAL cruisers in Aust because we haven't had ships based here.

You are absolutely correct in saying that everyone has to choose the cruiseline/s that suits them, but it is no reflection on anyone else if they choose a different cruiseline. A lot of factors going into making the decision (price, age of ships, price, itinerary, demographics, price!, embarkation port).

I feel it is impolite when anyone (not pointing the finger) denegrates other people because they choose to spend their money by going on another cruise line.

Unfortunately that has been happening on this thread and on others in the past. :)

Maybe one reason that so many people defend P&O is that there are a lot of people who have enjoyed (and do enjoy) cruising that that company. They get up in arms when they see the cruiseline being unfairly attacked. A reasonable criticism is accepted.

The Yobbos you experienced were on RCI, not P&O. If you want to 'blame' anyone, blame RCI. It is puzzling that you cannot (or don't want to) see this. :)

Strange that a previous poster stated that there was 2 serious incidents on 1 out of 3 P&O voyages they attended?They Stated that security was represented well on board P&O Australia Ships.

Never the less i cannot be persuaded to buy a Holden,(never know whats under the bonnet these days?)

I can understand that people have had a great time on P&O Australia and I have no problem with that.

Some of their better ships that have come from lines like Princess have been looked after, but as I said there is good reason why Princess does not have them anymore. Pacific Dawn and Pacific Jewel started off as quite attractive sleek and beautifull looking ships. Their time with the mass markets of Princess is now over as we see more ships full of balcony cabins plus much larger in size.

What I really dont like is that Carnival is not investing the money in P&O Australia to really make it take off. It could have potential with newer ships. It was always owned by P&O UK and Princess and had to rely on their ships to survive, now that Carnival has their claws in the company they have not invested a new ship in the line at all, and this is the country where the money supposedly exists for cruising.

What you are seeing here is a typical mentality of people who refuse to accept other peoples opinions.

I have looked on facebook many times. There have been people who have ligitimate complaints about P&O Australia and ask for assistance by posting something on its wall. Sureley enough there are the P&O defenders that come along and attack the person who started it.

I stated on here that I would never choose HAL as a line to sail with - I never got a single response regarding that.

When I stated I would never sail with P&O Australia I got quite immature and unsusual responses from people defending the line.

As I said earlier there are Australians that love Bali and consider it paradise. I do not and consider it the worst possible place for a holiday and would not wish it upon my worst enemy.

I knew before I visited Bali that it would be a complete slum. Sure enough on my first World Cruise I was proved right.

My point is that it is possible to use intuition and decide for yourself the type of thing you will or will not like without having to try it do decide first.

The strangest thing I find about this is if people really dont want to try P&O Australia, why do these defenders of the line go out and try and insist it is good? Why on earth would these defenders want us who dont like it on the ships? I certainly have no intention of trying the line.

Sutho, I think you'll find that you've received this sort of reaction, not because you refuse to travel with P&O Australia, but because of your reasoning for writing off the entire line and their customers. Your reasons are completely wrong and misinformed. This comes from people who have experienced the line. Does that not put us in a better position to comment on the P&O Australia experience? You mentioned Bali and how you thought it would be a complete slum before visiting it. Operative word being "thought". It wasn't until you actually visited the place that your suspicions were confirmed. It's fine for you to think that and I mentioned that I also didn't enjoy Bali at all. The fact that you've been there gives you some authority on the matter. Just like the people who have actually cruised with P&O Australia know what they're talking about as opposed to someone who is making assumptions. Just because you use your intuition doesn't mean it's right.

I don't think you've had immature responses to your posts. I thought we'd had quite a good debate actually. Look, I don't care one way or another if you cruise with P&O Australia. I certainly wouldn't want to force anyone to cruise with them if they really don't want to. But please, don't put down, or look down upon those who choose to do so.

Can we end this thread now...?

What I really dont like is that Carnival is not investing the money in P&O Australia to really make it take off. It could have potential with newer ships. It was always owned by P&O UK and Princess and had to rely on their ships to survive, now that Carnival has their claws in the company they have not invested a new ship in the line at all, and this is the country where the money supposedly exists for cruising.

Surely P&O Australia has well and truly taken off. :)They have four ships operating all year so are the most popular cruise line operating out of Aust. They must be doing something right because they fill their ships. Value for money I think they are great.

The next popular is Princess - a cruiseline we also like.

I feel it is impolite when anyone (not pointing the finger) denegrates other people because they choose to spend their money by going on another cruise line.

Unfortunately that has been happening on this thread and on others in the past. :)

Maybe one reason that so many people defend P&O is that there are a lot of people who have enjoyed (and do enjoy) cruising that that company. They get up in arms when they see the cruiseline being unfairly attacked. A reasonable criticism is accepted.

No ones is being impolite, when as Sutho implies its personal choice and mine is being driven by other Australians.

I assume that you are referring to your own posts here because that's exactly what you are choosing to do. You are also coming across as a arrogant snob in the process.

Listen mate, whether you accept it or not P&O Australia provides a great holiday, particularly for families, without being pompus or over formal, in the relaxed way many Australians like.

Having said that, I think that personally, you are wise not to cruise P&O Australia as I think it's suited to more down to earth people and not to individuals who think they are part of the Raj or something.

Because my family enjoyed our P&O cruise doesn't make us yobbos and the inference is insulting. The passengers we met were a great group of friendly, well behaved people all enjoying their cruise...no yobbos detected.

The yobbos referred to were on RCI - but that doesn't mean I will insult RCI or the people who sail on that cruiseline. :)

I got that too but apparently (conveniently, so there could be no mistake of their origins:rolleyes:) they were wearing P&O t-shirts.

There is nothing wrong with RCI as far as I know but can't really comment as I haven't cruised with them but would like to do so one day if we get a chance.

The yobbos referred to were on RCI - but that doesn't mean I will insult RCI or the people who sail on that cruiseline. :)

Gosh matey your post is misleading?It was quoted that the Yobbos were plainly the Drunken Mooning around the pool and the People having a conversation across a crowded area such as the top floor atrium and 3 decks down to their mates.

The poor lady that asked what Aussifying Cruise ships implied must now be opting to keep as far away from Australia as possible. Aren't we a nice bunch. Dont know what has happened to "fair go'', "mateship" and "she'll be right mate." Just sticking my "two bobs worth in". I can only comment in regards The Spirit as I have only cruised twice on it and twice on The Elation, both Carnival Ships. On each and every cruise I experienced the very best service from cabin stewarts, to cruise directors, even right up to captains. The service was far beyond anything I have experienced anywhere here in Australia, Europe or the UK. I think that level of service is probably what is, I wont say lacking, but maybe not as high on our Aussie cruise lines. We Aussies expect to get what we pay for but also give what we get paid for. Not a fan of "tipping" but I believe this is what creates the different work ethic. I understand things like Trivia will be more Aussie orientated, food hopefully only slightly. Must admit to looking forward to decent coffee. Free room service, ummm cant get an answer on that one. Anyways as I said "my two bobs worth" for what its worth. Any questions feel free to ask me, Lido deck, feet up, cocktail in hand, 30 Sept 2012. Aloha:)

You are correct,i was Fine Tuned by the P&O T Shirt wearers,mooning and shouting,on Radiance,

Except is it wasn't a P&O t-shirt. It was a travel agent t-shirt, given to clients of that travel agent. I saw them too - the POSH club is about customers of a travel agent. I'm not even sure why you thought it had anything to do with a cruise line, given it says nothing about that particular cruise line (since the TA deals with all cruise lines.)

reminded me more and more of Australians along with our previous posters about not so good behaviour on P&O Australia.Yes and those that cause trouble are simply Yobbos.

It reminded me simply of Aussie yobbos. Obviously short cruises attract them as do other cheap attractions, as also occurs in the US.

Sutho, I think you'll find that you've received this sort of reaction, not because you refuse to travel with P&O Australia, but because of your reasoning for writing off the entire line and their customers. Your reasons are completely wrong and misinformed. This comes from people who have experienced the line. Does that not put us in a better position to comment on the P&O Australia experience? You mentioned Bali and how you thought it would be a complete slum before visiting it. Operative word being "thought". It wasn't until you actually visited the place that your suspicions were confirmed. It's fine for you to think that and I mentioned that I also didn't enjoy Bali at all. The fact that you've been there gives you some authority on the matter. Just like the people who have actually cruised with P&O Australia know what they're talking about as opposed to someone who is making assumptions. Just because you use your intuition doesn't mean it's right.

I don't think you've had immature responses to your posts. I thought we'd had quite a good debate actually. Look, I don't care one way or another if you cruise with P&O Australia. I certainly wouldn't want to force anyone to cruise with them if they really don't want to. But please, don't put down, or look down upon those who choose to do so.

Can we end this thread now...?

Just want to second this notion as someone who has ACTUALLY travelled with P&O that your opinions are completely misinformed. They have by far the best security and lowest tolerance for unruly behaviour of ANY cruiseline.

The line you praised RCI is actually the one I've noticed the most unruly behaviour on and least security, hey I'm not complaining but because I understand they are on holidays as well and are entitled to "let loose" a bit.

Once you have cruised with P&O I will gladly accept your opinion (I believe it would have significantly changed) but until then sledging P&O on ill informed opinions is just silly.

Wow I have found out by reading this thread that I should fit right in being that I am an American who is from the South and everybody knows anybody from the Southern states is a redneck. You know the kind of person who says good morning to strangers, opens doors for ladies, says thank you and of course knows how to give a good rebel yell :D. Bad manners is gobal no 1 culture is exempt we all have them. I will be on the Solstice in 2012 for Christmas and I am looking forward to meeting all types that will be on the ship yabbos included. For me meeting different types of people is why I cruise the ones I get along with are the ones I will have more than 1 converstion with :). I did my 1st 13 cruises with Carnival great cruises and services but got burnt out and tried other lines HAL, Princess and Celebrity and on everyone of them I have seen questionable behavior and on everyone I have met outstanding people passegers and crew al they far outnumber the yabbos. After so many cruises I have learned that I can always come across those I enjoy and those I dont kind of just like my everyday life. Looking forward to meeting the great people of OZ and NZ and just to warn ya I will say good morning and hello to everyone I come across :cool: yabbos included. I am always polite and pleasant until it is time not to be at least that what my wife tells me ;)

I have traveled quite a bit both land-based and via ship but never on a non-USA owned line, so I would be excited to try an Australian-owned line for a true Australian experience. The casual, mostly non-formal attitude of P&O sounds wonderful to this casual gal. I have certainly enjoyed the American lines on which I have sailed, but I prefer casual and non-traditional as much as possible and some of our lines' cruisers take a dim view of casual, in my opinion.

I had a wonderful 19 days traveling in Australia. Folks were super-friendly, funny and helpful and didn't seem to mind that I did not like Vegemite. I also really appreciated that Australians, unlike some, welcomed this USA citizen based solely on my OWN merits (assuming I have any) and NOT on my government or its policies. Long live Australian tolerance and common sense!

Bye jingies, a good reason not travel P&O Australia.3 P&O Ships you have traveled on and you knew of poor behaviour on 2 occasions,Police Involvement?Gosh it is good that Security are alert on board P&O Australia Ships?

All of the many cruises i have been on including the Diamond Princess had many many Australians aboard more than once, and there was never ever any sign of bad behavior.Far from it.Australians are always great travel mates.

On 1 cruise- two incidents and much is heresay- I never saw the incidents but heard about them.

Understand Pacific Sun is a very small ship and it is very intimate and heresay spreads like wild fire.

Pacific Sun's intimacy is one of her most endearing qualities as you can easily strike up friendships with people if you want to.

Passengers I spoke to were pleased incidents had been dealt to-

the incident with the young child was a whole different matter- yuppie parents with no control expecting cabin staff to make good after a kid has been on a rampage- As I say don't know the full facts as much is passed on as heresay.

Many of the passengers on this cruise were first time cruisers as WA does not get the same choice as the Eastern parts of Australia.

The people I spoke to were friendly, warm hearted and enjoying the holiday and not WHINGING about the age of the ship.Or any incidents that may or may not have happened.

I think that is pretty much what bases some people's decisions not to sail on P&O ships -HERESAY-NOT FACT.

It is great I heard about these incidents as it signals a clear message that poor behaviour won't be tolerated- I like that!

I will never be a P&O die hard, I am open to sail any ship where the price is good, food edible and itinerary one I want to do. In saying that if P&O is offering an itinerary I want to do at a good price I'll book it,

as to do similar itineraries on Princess it costs a whole lot more and for me just not necessary.

Archived