Liquor question

BNguy

Dear Dave, can you point me to the statement by HA that bringing your own liquor will endanger the health, safety, or enjoyment of other passengers?

What other reason could there be? After all, they do allow you to bring aboard yor own wine, since it's not a blanket prohibition on alcoholic beverages. And since the markup & profit on wine is much greater than on liquor, it's not a monetary policy. What else is left?

HAL told my TA that they would confiscate my Mountain Dew... I'm bringing some anyway. I don't drink Coke products, so I'll take my chances. I do not think there is great communication between HAL customer service/ship service and the people on the ship. I don't think they'll take my Dew, but if they do, I guess I've been forewarned...

Scrumpy

itsme_jj, since there is no rule against bringing soda on board you may bring as much as you like. But if you are bringing it only because you want Diet Coke in a can, you don't need to do it. HAL serves Coke, Diet Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke in cans. It's $1.75 + 15% service charge ($2.01 total) per can.

Dave,

how are you figuring the markup on the liquor? If you buy a bottle on or off the ship, it's true that they are (often) in the same ballpark. If you buy it by the drink, liquor is a huge moneymaker. They save the initial markup from the bottle in addition to charging a minimum of around $5 a drink.

Btw, ship services has advised us to inquire about our liquor of preference on board - where they may or may not have it. They do not know if it is available and, I guess, they aren't worried about whether we have what we want. I didn't find their response helpful in the least.

Scrumpy

What other reason could there be? After all, they do allow you to bring aboard yor own wine, since it's not a blanket prohibition on alcoholic beverages. And since the markup & profit on wine is much greater than on liquor, it's not a monetary policy. What else is left?

In room mini-bar prices from the Zuiderdam, April, 2005:

Miniature Liquors: $5.25

Domestic Beer: $3.75

Imported Beer: $3.95

Wine (187 ml): $5.75

Sparkling wine (187 ml): $6.50

Water (large): $2.00

Perrier water: $2.50

Soft Drinks: $1.75

All plus 15% service charge.

So an in room rum and coke will cost $8.05, including service charge.

Room steward will keep your in room ice bucket filled. HAL doesn't charge for the ice :).

Although I shouldn't, can't resist commenting on the morality of BYOB which has been raised in this thread and numerous (too numerous??) previous threads.

I brought my own; a bottle of scotch, 18 beer and 5 bottles of wine. Purchased in Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise and packed in our check in bags. Left everything in original containers - no listerene bottles. Delivered to our room without question. Was for in room consumption only (on our balcony). Ended up leaving the steward 3 cans of beer and we took 2 bottles of wine home with us.

HAL's policy is that if I bring booze on board, it will "be collected" by HAL and returned to me on the last day. I did not break any HAL policy by bringing booze on board. It was up to HAL to "collect" my booze. If HAL does not want to follow its own policy and "collect" my booze, I have no problem drinking my own booze in my room.

The HAL booze policy is based partially on legal liability concerns - but not to prevent a person from bringing their own booze on board, getting drunk and injured, but merely to provide HAL a legal defence if a person does. I can order a bottle of booze from room service or use the mini bar liquor. HAL has no control whether I drink the bottle/empty the fridge in 1 week or 1 hour. So I can just as easily get drunk on HAL booze or my own booze. However, if I get drunk on my own booze and fall down the stairs, HAL's defence will be I got drunk on booze HAL expressly warned and "prohibited" me from having, so its my own fault, not HAL's.

The other reason for the policy is profit ($8.05 for a mini bar rum and coke:( ). In respect to allowing wine, I assume the majority of wine will be consumend in the dining room, where HAL still collects its mark up with its corkage fee. Even if wine is consumed in a stateroom, HAL still benefits. If HAL had a "no wine" policy, HAL would have the additional costs of maintaining a much larger wine inventory or put up with more customer compliants (why don't you have that wine?).

I will now climb off my soapbox and go do something that matters :).

Even if wine is consumed in a stateroom, HAL still benefits. If HAL had a "no wine" policy, HAL would have the additional costs of maintaining a much larger wine inventory or put up with more customer compliants (why don't you have that wine?).

Oh, puhleeze! That let you bring your own wine so that won't have to stock as much???

It's amazing the lengths the excusers will go to.

BTW, no need to use the mini-bottles in the mini-bar, the ship will gladly sell you a bottle of rum to use in your room.

Dave, you said that bringing your own liquor will endanger the health, safety, or enjoyment of other passengers?

I just assumed that when you made such a dogmatic statement, that you had some official source, rather than just making it up.

If you are willing to rely on logic, tell me why HA will sell you multiple liters of booze via room service, but will not allow you to bring it on board for in-room consumption? To quote you, "What else is left?" The only diffence I can see is that HA makes a profit on booze that they sell, and they don't on booze that I bring?

The only diffence I can see is that HA makes a profit on booze that they sell, and they don't on booze that I bring?

Sounds fair to me. I like it.

That doesn't explain why you can bring as much wine with you as you'd like.

But this remains a circular argument. I don't know - and I don't care - why HAL (and other cruise lines) forbid you to bring hard liquor aboard. But they do, so I'll abide by their wishes and hope others do also.

per dave "I don't know - and I don't care - why HAL (and other cruise lines) forbid you to bring hard liquor aboard"

Dave - voila!!! for ONCE we agree .. you don't care and I don't care.. so will continue to bring my own..

so nice that we could come to a meeting of the minds after all this time.. *wink*

Regards, Mike

Dave:

You asked a question why HAL allows wine - I provided a couple of possible answers that you are entitled to agree or disagree with.

I was not making, and have no reason to make, any excuses.

My spouse would enjoy a rum and coke on the balcony but would not drink a bottle in a year. I do not drink rum. Purchasing a 1 litre bottle of rum at an inflated price to leave behind or pack home 75% full did not strike me as a good deal.

You can bring all the wine and diet coke you want, no problem. Any bottle brought to the DR will incur a corkage fee. Bring one 1.5 liter rather than 2 750 ml to save $15.

What about diet Pepsi? I think that diet coke is the most abominable soda ever concocted. I intend to bring on my own Diet Pepsi; it'll be interesting to see what they do with that in the DR.

What about diet Pepsi? I think that diet coke is the most abominable soda ever concocted. I intend to bring on my own Diet Pepsi; it'll be interesting to see what they do with that in the DR.

There's no corkage fee for a can of soda - there's no cork? (that's a joke, wines with Stellsner closures still get charged a corkage fee. )

But do consider - would you walk into one of the better restaurants in your area carrying an open can of soda (or a closed one, for that matter)?

-dave

I would suggest that you see if you can arrange something with the Maitre d' in regard to your diet Pepsi at dinner. Go there before the dinner hour and explain the situation. It's possible that due to your feelings about Coke (which I share) that they will store your diet Pepsi for you and serve it normally. That way, you won't have to carry it with you every night. I don't know if it would work or not, but I don't think it could hurt to ask. Be a lot more convenient.

Scrumpy

There's no corkage fee for a can of soda - there's no cork? (that's a joke, wines with Stellsner closures still get charged a corkage fee. )

But do consider - would you walk into one of the better restaurants in your area carrying an open can of soda (or a closed one, for that matter)?

-dave

No Dave, I wouldn't walk in with an open can; I'd do it the way Scrumpy says with the maitre'd. Maybe I'd wait until the second day so we don't get put at a table next to the dishwasher :D

If a 'better restaurant in my area' took hush money from Caca Cola not to offer one of the most popular soft drinks/mixers in the world, I would complain there too. I'd rather pay 10 cents more for my dinner and be able to choose my mixer!

It amazes me that high-class places can get away by emulating McDonald's and Burger King by offering only a limited choice of sodas.

I emailed ship services about pre-purchasing liqour and below is the reply I received. They sent me 3 seperate lists and all I had to do was call and it would be waiting in my room when we board ship. No need to put it on your cruise card on board!

"Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, we do have liquor available to pre-purchase. Please see the attached price list for things that we offer. Once you are ready, please call us with your booking number and credit card payment at 800-541-1576."

You can also order soda cards, and you can make a reservation for the Pinnacle on the first night for 10 bucks each versus the 20 each every other night.

I will be on the Oosterdam on 7 May and hope to meet some other cruise critic fanatics while on board.

Hi!

Thanks for the mini bar info. When I attempted to call Hal they were very elusive about exactly what products they offered in room or room service. Maybe I'll try again, or maybe they just rotate the stock so they can't say for sure what they have.

Do you remember what type of beer they offered? Or does someone know where to obtain the list of the types of items (coke, pepsi, dos equis, hein? capt morgan?)

See its not like a hotel, if I don't like what they have I can't just go to the wine store and get it, i'm stuck. Sorry for soooo many questions, but what can i say i am extremely picky.

if its reasonable and i can trust it, i'd rather not pack it, but if its unknown, i want what i want....ya know.

Thanks so much for the soda question, so now i know i can safely bring my diet cokes (as i dont drink coffee and am an early riser...so hate to call room service or walk up 3 decks to get something....). That way I can bring at least 7 for my early morning jolt.

Liquor again is a matter of what they have and if I can mix it myself... i just don't like people mixing my drinks...don't know where their hands have been in those bars/restaurants.....ice cubes...etc. Yes I am clean freak; but I worked in the restaurant industry in college and you'd wilt on what i've seen goes in drinks in glasses over ice.

Wine no problemo... but again i'm picky, like what i like, so i'll just bring it. Thanks for that info too.

JJ

With all the back and forth on this subject, has anyone actually had their bags search when boarding (not carry ons) and had liquor removed by security and held until the end of the cruise? It has never happened to me on 7 cruises and 4 companies. I have put hand luggage thru atr various ports on only NCL demanded to hold it in security until the end of the cruise.

The last cruise on Princess I brought a 4 pack box that I received from my purchase on Celebrity last Nov. and had 4 wine and 1 rum without a question.I don't know why anyone bothers to follow the cruise book regarding this. We are not on the ship long enough to make a dent in thier bar profits.

Even if we have 2 drinks in the cabin before dinner we still go to a lounge for 1 before and several after dinner. Remember it's your vacation and you should enjoy it without following any more rules than to smoke on the correct side of the ship. :confused:

Remember it's your vacation and you should enjoy it without following any more rules than to smoke on the correct side of the ship. :confused:

Remember that you're in someone else's house and they get to make the rules.

So, I'm guessing you think it's OK to let your baby poop in the pool, to skip lifeboat drill, use your fingers to handle food in the buffet line, take towels ashore with you and leave them on the beach, use the "crew only" staircases, jog on the promenade deck, and wander into any "private party in progress" areas to grab a few free drinks?

Oh, and there is no "smoking side" of a HAL ship - this isn't Celebrity.

Dave,

Although I usually like the things you post, even if i don't agree. You seem honest and not as combative as some. But, gotta chime in here regarding the list of things you seemed to be equating with bringing ones own booze aboard.

All of the things on your list have clearly seen, understood and/or drastic effects on the other paxs or the cruiseline. I neither see nor understand the potential of bring-aboard booze having any additional effects on other paxs or the cruiseline (other than profit) then purchased-aboard booze.

Although the cruiselines (and HAL in particular) go almost to extremes to provide us with variety and choices, it would be impossible to provide every manufactured option of every manufactured product for each of our tastes. There is abosolutely nothing wrong with the ship's provided soap, shampoo and tooth paste, but I like to bring my own aboard. Same with my own Single Malt Scotch.

I am indeed a guest in somebody elses house, and indeed they get to make the rules. If a CL were to make a rule that all men must sleep on the right-hand side of the bed, I'd never get any sleep. And I certainly wouldn't expect them to come into my cabin to make sure I had capitulated.

As another poster (on another thread) said: "...of course, just as some policies are excellent and some are hardly worth the paper they're printed on..." I feel, and perhaps the crew feels, and perhaps even you feel, this is one policy that has killed too many trees and wasted too much bandwidth.

All of the things on your list have clearly seen, understood and/or drastic effects on the other paxs or the cruiseline.

Yes, they do. Which is why I was curious that the person I was responding to implied (hell, said outright) that they would ignore them, and suggested that others do likewise.

Thin edge of the wedge, slippery slope or camel's nose - once you allow that some rules can be broken with impugnity then you've no standing to insist that others be stringently upheld.

Yes, they do. Which is why I was curious that the person I was responding to implied (hell, said outright) that they would ignore them, and suggested that others do likewise.

Thin edge of the wedge, slippery slope or camel's nose - once you allow that some rules can be broken with impugnity then you've no standing to insist that others be stringently upheld.

Yes, but don't you feel that some rules were just made to be broken??

Archived