P&O to Make Tipping Mandatory on All Cruises

LauraS

Not mandatory, Laura, just moving to auto-tips, in line with most other cruiselines. And, as with most others, can be adjusted or deleted.

Should boost the numbers at dinner on the last evening ;):rolleyes::D:p

JB :)

Madatory could well be required to be in the price upfront.

it is the responsibility of p/o to pay their people a living wage it is completely immoral to only pay them a derisery wage, a fair days pay for a fair days work!!!!!, it is insulting to make them rely on the guests charity to give them a decent wage

my main point is that the cruise lines take advantage of there people, they are recruited from places where there is very little if any employment and they have to accept the derisery wages or have nothing ,i beleive there is a moral obligation on the cruise lines to pay their people a fair days pay for a fair days work they can well afford to do this without needing to increase fares very much [if at all],at the minute what the cruise companys want us to give in tips is just a means of subsidising their wage bill, when we have paid thousands for the cruise we should not be expected to subsidise the crews wages, if you wish to give a tip to anyone it should be to say thanks for looking after us, not here you are mate im giving you this to make up your wages because your employer is exploiting you.

If people are getting a decent living wage why do you need to give them extra for doing their job.

Outdated and the sHI

ooner it changes the better for everyone.

HI,i am certain they do not get a living wage, and we know they should get one, however if they were on a decent wage there would be no need to give tips, but if you wanted to give someone a few bob for whatever reason it would be for that reason and not as charity to give them a decent wage Ken.

But how 'are you certain' they do not get a living wage. Of course it may not equate with what we would call 'a decent wage' but I understand some of the people give up professional careers to work as crew. I assume they do this not because of the basic wages but the tips to give them better wages than they would receive in their own country.

Cruise companies rely on their customers to take pity on those hard working people which enables them to duck out of paying a proper wage.

This will continue until the 'customer' says no more and then either the company will have no crew or they will have to pay them properly.

If people are getting a decent living wage why do you need to give them extra for doing their job.

Outdated and the sHI

ooner it changes the better for everyone.

HI,i am certain they do not get a living wage, and we know they should get one, however if they were on a decent wage there would be no need to give tips, but if you wanted to give someone a few bob for whatever reason it would be for that reason and not as charity to give them a decent wage Ken.

But how 'are you certain' they do not get a living wage. Of course it may not equate with what we would call 'a decent wage' but I understand some of the people give up professional careers to work as crew. I assume they do this not because of the basic wages but the tips to give them better wages than they would receive in their own country.

Cruise companies rely on their customers to take pity on those hard working people which enables them to duck out of paying a proper wage.

This will continue until the 'customer' says no more and then either the company will have no crew or they will have to pay them properly.

HI, it is because they explain to us how things are for them they rely on the tips for aliving i am prepared to accept what i am told [for a change!!] its my nature to think that we all need a decent wage but i think what you say is correct Ken.

this is a no win situation carnival are registering their ships under flags of convieience so they can pay very basic wages $50 a month then persistiing we the pax pay their staffs wage bill ,calling it tips is an insult (dick turpin wore a mask)wage subsidy is what it is

this is a no win situation carnival are registering their ships under flags of convieience so they can pay very basic wages $50 a month then persistiing we the pax pay their staffs wage bill ,calling it tips is an insult (dick turpin wore a mask)wage subsidy is what it is

i could not agree more!, and as we know turpin only robbed the better off and rich ,bless you ken.

I wish they would pay the crew a decent age then tipping wouldn't be required, but be sure the cruise price would increase to fund it . It would make no difference to us as we never pay less than the recommended amount, but those who currently stiff the crew (for whatever "reason" they give:rolleyes:) won't be happy!

But TIPS are the Amercian way, visited the US a few times and thought it was great, loved it. Pizza staff Fast Foods buzzing all over you, nothing too much trouble. But in reality they are begging for TIPS so they can live a decent wage. Its just a way of keeping the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Ever been on RCI and bought a drink at the Bar, 15% Gratuity added, section for adding TIP below. I thought Gratuity and TIPs where the same. So I say the 15% is a Service Charge.

Its just another way of prizing the B.F. out of your wallets,

Not mandatory, Laura, just moving to auto-tips, in line with most other cruiselines. And, as with most others, can be adjusted or deleted.

Should boost the numbers at dinner on the last evening ;):rolleyes::D:p

JB :)

Excuse a Colonial butting in, but can you imagine the queues at the Pursers desk? Bigger than the longest conga line on the ship. the pursers desk will be red hot 24/7 with the pax removing their auto tips, or as I call them, Automatic Wage Subsidy.

I think I understand the against view points very well. I have spent allot of time on P&O cruise ships as a passenger and the topic has come up often and I think I understand the general feeling towards it.

I think most British would be dead set against it. I also think the Australians on the world cruises would be 90-95% against it.

I find it very suprising that P&O has done this as it is clear that the British do not appreciate automatic tipping. For reference do a google search and type in Royal Caribbean + lousy British tippers, or type in British tipping + Royal Caribbean. If you do that you will be inundated with results from British newspapers making it crystal clear that when the British go on American ships that they do not tip and that the numbers against tipping are so substancial that it got the attention of senior management of Royal Caribbean to comment. My bets are on that this policy will not last.

I personally feel very unfomfortable about tipping because I come from a place where it is not practiced at all. I understant that tipping is a reward for service and the amount given is discretionary. This is a big difference from an underhanded way of asking the guests to pay the staff wages.

I think I understand the against view points very well. I have spent allot of time on P&O cruise ships as a passenger and the topic has come up often and I think I understand the general feeling towards it.

I think most British would be dead set against it. I also think the Australians on the world cruises would be 90-95% against it.

I find it very suprising that P&O has done this as it is clear that the British do not appreciate automatic tipping. For reference do a google search and type in Royal Caribbean + lousy British tippers, or type in British tipping + Royal Caribbean. If you do that you will be inundated with results from British newspapers making it crystal clear that when the British go on American ships that they do not tip and that the numbers against tipping are so substancial that it got the attention of senior management of Royal Caribbean to comment. My bets are on that this policy will not last.

I personally feel very unfomfortable about tipping because I come from a place where it is not practiced at all. I understant that tipping is a reward for service and the amount given is discretionary. This is a big difference from an underhanded way of asking the guests to pay the staff wages.

I sail with Cunard and they apply a daily $11 autotip to your account. I believe some people remove it but we (and most people on the Cunard forum) leave it on and we also give our waiter and cabin steward a tip in an envelope on the final day.

I believe 70%+ of cruisers on Independence now prepay their tips. RCI have come a long way from that 2009 article. It is now accepted as the norm by most UK cruisers.

But how 'are you certain' they do not get a living wage.

The cruise line promises them, say, $1500 a month, it is a known fact that on RCI the staff (under the tipping programme) are paid $50pm and they are meant to make up their wage via tips. they get $50 therefore $1450 is to come from tips.

If they make say $1200 in tips then they will get the balance from the cruise line. Of course if they have to get 'topped up' then it is very unlikely they get their employment contract renewed. It is a tough life. So those of you who remove the tips, leave nothing or leave a pittance think that your actions have a wide effect on that employee, and their family back home. Wherever that may be.

I believe 70%+ of cruisers on Independence now prepay their tips. RCI have come a long way from that 2009 article. It is now accepted as the norm by most UK cruisers.

The cruise line promises them, say, $1500 a month, it is a known fact that on RCI the staff (under the tipping programme) are paid $50pm and they are meant to make up their wage via tips. they get $50 therefore $1450 is to come from tips.

If they make say $1200 in tips then they will get the balance from the cruise line. Of course if they have to get 'topped up' then it is very unlikely they get their employment contract renewed. It is a tough life. So those of you who remove the tips, leave nothing or leave a pittance think that your actions have a wide effect on that employee, and their family back home. Wherever that may be.

There isn't any autotips on Royal Caribbean so I don't know how a crew member can prove he/she didn't get the minimum amount. You can prepay (mandatory with anytime dining); or sign up to have the tips added to your S&S account, but otherwise tips are in cash at the end. I believe they are the only mainstream cruiseline that doesn't automatically add the tips or service charge to the S&S account.

Archived