"Free" cruise vouchers

eel

We went to a sales presentation for a travel club last week. As a gift for attending we were given travel vouchers for a 7 night cruise for two. Cruise lines listed on the voucher are RCCL, Carnival or NCL. There are a bunch of restrictions (surcharge if you sail anytime but Sept. to Dec., surcharge for certain listed ships, surcharge to upgrade to a balcony, etc.). Also we would have to pay port fees and taxes. To activate the voucher you have to send in a $99 refundable deposit within 21 days of receiving the voucher. Does anyone have experience with this type of promotion? Is it worth it? Even if we have to pay a few hundred dollars in port fees and taxes, it seems like a decent deal, especially for a 7 day cruise. But of course I worry it is a thinly veiled scam. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with something like this? They also gave us a voucher for two free airfares to anywhere in the continental US. Still have to pay taxes and fees and they require a $75 deposit.

I am just not sure whether to send in the deposits and hope it is worthwhile or to just put the vouchers in the shredder! Thanks in advance

Have you worked out how much you would be paying for the same cruise without all the admin costs / surcharges charged? IMO if something sounds too good to be true it usually is. Suggest you Google the name of the company concerned and see what that brings up.

Seems like I just read a similar story on here about the same kind of "free" cruise. It wound up only being like a 100.00 less than what they could have booked it directly through RCI and the savings werent great enough to go through all the hassle and restrictions

I appreciate the comments and opinions. I have seen some of the comments in prior threads about similar offers but they were mostly for 3 day cruises and not 100% negative. Some people said that it saved them money.

A seven day cruise seems like a different animal - especially with air. I realize that this will not be a free cruise - note the quotes round 'free" in the thread title! Even if it winds up costing me half of what I would normally spend it is worth it to me. If it costs 90% then it is not.

I appreciate comments from anyone who has actually tried to use these kinds of vouchers or who has other direct knowledge of someone's experience. I still have a few weeks to decide if I should take a flyer on this or not. Thanks!

We did something similar several years back. To book the cruise, we were required to send in three choices of cruises we wanted to apply it to. We didn't hear back for a while, and when we did we were told there was no availability left for "vouchers" on any of those cruises. We then had to send in different dates. Bottom line was the time period for the voucher expired before we could find a cruise to take. I would never do this again. That company is no longer in business, but I believe I have read that they "go out of business" every few years and reopen with a different name.

We had a similar thing with a vacation club a few years back here in NJ but it was for a free round trip flights, we had to pay a refundable $100 deposit for the both of us to handle the taxes and we would get the difference back and submit 3 different days for flying. Well guess what.......they came up with an excuse why we could not get the flights we wanted, so we asked for our deposit back. It has been over a year and they ignore our emails, we NEVER received our money...live and learn by your mistakes. DO NOT do it! :mad:

Archived