Carnival Dream - 12/10/2011 - 12/17/2011

rtw68

Do they have a protein and smoothie bar on the Dream? We cruise every Christmas and will be boarding next Saturday.Loved your review

I don't believe so, I don't know if they would make anything like that at the coffee bar. We never had a chance to get a coffee there.

That is so very funny because I thought the SIL was sister in law and I said the same thing... a lot of facial hail for a SIL... then I figured it out too but it did take me a while. :D

Glad to hear I am not the only one:) Comfort in numbers.

Your final thoughts are exactly the way we feel--we've been on two cruises with Carnival, none with anyone else.

After looking at prices the last two times, and looking forward and comparing prices for the next one, we agree that Carnival provides a good bang for the buck.

Thanks for a great review.

Thanks for taking the time to do a review. We are anxiously awaiting our cruise on the Dream in March. We have experienced various cruiselines and found likes and dislikes on each. We find Carnival gives us the most bang for our buck and overall is our favorite.

100_0109.jpg

Every time I see the picture of the chess board on this ship, it is set up wrong! "White in the right, queen on her color"... okay, I am done.

Great review, love the pics, taking my notes and the food pics look appetizing, Thanks for taking the time to articulate, really enjoying it!

Edited by mtsnd1900

Thank you so much for the review and pictures.

We sail on the Dream on Jan 7 and will also be on the Western Caribbean itinerary.

Our cabin will be located only about 11 doors away from the one you had!

Would it be possible to post the Capers? or email me a copy to sfischer at crosslink dot net? I would really like to get a "head start" on our cruise.

Again, great job on the review. Only a few short weeks now for us.

Edited by sfischer

Randy, just "wasted" a 1/2 hour of work and work internet time reading your review:D. Thanks for sharing:). We've sailed on the Dream 3 times and enjoyed all our cruises. Once you've been on the Dream, you learn the spots and timing to avoid "crowds" but looks like you guys did just fine on that score.

Once you've been on the Dream, you learn the spots and timing to avoid "crowds" but looks like you guys did just fine on that score.

Feel free to put a little spreadsheet together for us noob's!

Best Review of the Year Award!

Seriously, thanks for the pics, the humor, the info.

First let me say that I loved the review and all the pictures!

I have one question: How much did the Dream rock considering how windy and choppy the water was?

Thanks!

I guess I was shocked how much the Dream moved. We were midship in our cabin and could feel... what I could call a constant "wiggle" even when the seas weren't that bad.

In the Burgundy lounge fully aft and the Encore Theater fully up front, it was a very noticeable "back and forth" movement (left to right).

We never got sick, but the Dream moves much more than the Fantasy did. I noticed a slight "wiggle" on the Fantasy, but it was worse on the Dream.

It wasn't enough to keep us from going on a Dream class ship again, but it was very obvious.

Very nice review! We are considering this to be our next cruise and it is refreshing to see open minded thoughts pre cruise and nice easy going comments from your post cruise point of view. We try to travel with the same state of mind- it is CRAZY what some people think they are entitled to and complain about!

Very nice review! We are considering this to be our next cruise and it is refreshing to see open minded thoughts pre cruise and nice easy going comments from your post cruise point of view. We try to travel with the same state of mind- it is CRAZY what some people think they are entitled to and complain about!

Thanks! Its nice to know we aren't the only ones. :) I highly recommend the Dream. :D

I can't stand entitled idiots that think the world revolves around them. If you asked them to mention ONE good thing about the cruise, they probably couldn't think of anything. :rolleyes:

I also added my review to the main Cruise Critic page and then read a very negative review from someone else about the SAME exact cruise we were on.

I swore that person was in another time dimension because we didn't notice ANY of the things they brought up as issues. :eek:

Thanks ! We also leave in just a few days! And like the other poster, i've now spent more time than i should have reading this at work :)

How was the weather? Sun? Warm?

I can relate, I spend much time throughout the day reading stuff on this board. :D

I left out details on the weather, sorry! :o

The weather was beautiful and sunny for the most part. Except for the day we were in Belize. It was overcast and rained a part of the day. I still got some sun burn though... :)

We did have a rough seas between Belize & Costa Maya, but we didn't get sick at all.

Feel free to put a little spreadsheet together for us noob's!

Not sure how to organize a spreadsheet that would help navigate the crowds. And every cruise is a bit different in what passengers want to do. But here, in no particular order after the first couple,are some tips to avoid extreme long lines in food venues:

1) Learn patience. Carnival is NOT going to run out of food and you're NOT going to starve while waiting. But don't go chowing down while moving through the buffet. You're on vacation. Your time in line will be less than the time you spend waiting for your meal at lunch in any local restaurant and you don't have to be back to work after eating.

2) Avoid peak times! Eat earlier or later. Peak times are usually 8-9:30 for breakfast, 11:45-12:45 for lunch.

3) We're early risers anyway so we're in the buffet lines for breakfast by 7/7:15. Hit the omelet line (you can get eggs your way here too.) first. Also the Tandoori Grill has a small buffet breakfast set up by 8AM, no waiting, eat outside on the aft deck, less crowded. The Dream laso has a late breakfast service for late risers (10-11, I think), shorter lines then.

4) Wait until closer to 1 PM on sea days to grab lunch at the Mongogolian Grill or Burrito Bar. Use the second set of buffet lines (closer to the stern for regular buffet. Grab dessert first.

5) Eat at the Pasta Bar (like the OP did) or Tandoor Grill (Indian food) for lunch. Never long lines here.

6) On sea days, if you want the Lanai BBQ, go between 11:30 and noon, or after 12:30. Or skip the BBQ and visit the salad bar in the Wasabi sushi bar just inside on the Ocean Plaza.

7) If you want a clamshell lounger on the Serenity deck, or even a main pool/aft pool lounger, consider having breakfast in one before 8AM. Then just hang out there the rest of the morning.

8) Don't fret over having to wait outside the Scarlett for seated dining. Once they open th edoors, you are seated at your table in 2 minutes. People tend to congregate in front 15 minutes before opening. Time your arrival to be there at opening or just before. You don't want to wander in later than 5 minutes as the waitstaff could hold up serving others at your table, waiting on you.

8) Skip dessert in the MDR, if you want to see a PG comedy routine. They used to let you stay in your seats if you were in the last PG show, waiting for the adult show, but I hear they've stopped that now.

9) Don't try for down in front seats in the Theater for shows. Head for the upper level and get a higher seat above the railing. You can still see and hear everything and if the show isn't to your liking, you can walk out without affecting the performers.

10) Walk the ship, stroll the deck, use the stairs, coming out of shows or main dining rooms. You'll be back in your cabin or at your next stop before the elevator arrives. Night air at sea is good (unless stormy).

11) Have fun. Smile. Chat with fellow cruisers while waiting in line. You might make a new friend or learn something or help spread a rumor.:eek: