Carnival Dream Picture Review, December 10th-17th, 2011

italianfemmy

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of the Dream! We are getting ready to cruise with her this coming week (Feb 4th sailing) and your review has given me super ideas of my have to do list (yes, we are now signed up for Chef's table- would have never thought about that without your review) as well as some other hints re: pasta bar, and the indian place. Your pictures are worth more than just a 1000 words- they are priceless! You have an incredible talent! I just wish I knew you during our wedding at Disney 5 years ago! Best Wishes for the future!

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of the Dream! We are getting ready to cruise with her this coming week (Feb 4th sailing) and your review has given me super ideas of my have to do list (yes, we are now signed up for Chef's table- would have never thought about that without your review) as well as some other hints re: pasta bar, and the indian place. Your pictures are worth more than just a 1000 words- they are priceless! You have an incredible talent! I just wish I knew you during our wedding at Disney 5 years ago! Best Wishes for the future!

Awesome! You get to sail so soon. I am jealous! I want to be back on the Dream! Hey, will you do me a favor? If Chef Trevor is your Chef will you see if you can get his email address for me and tell him about the photos? You can even link him to this thread or the other thread I made just for Chef's table? I would like an email for him though so that I can give him copies of the photos if he wants them.

P.S. Disney doesn't allow outside photographers for weddings on their property. I am pretty sure you have to use a Disney photographer.

I am interested in the dolphin excursion. We are going to be traveling on the Dream in December and want to do the dolphin excursion in Cozumel. Likely, it will be my wife and daughter. I noticed there are different types of dolphin excursions. Some where you just swim with them, others where you get to ride them.

My daughter is 9, so I am not sure she will want to ride the dolphin.

Is it worth it to go through Cruise Critic or book the Dolphin excursion through an outside tour agency. I know you can book directly with the park.

On the photos, can you buy them separately or do you have to pay for the entire DVD?

Thanks.

I am interested in the dolphin excursion. We are going to be traveling on the Dream in December and want to do the dolphin excursion in Cozumel. Likely, it will be my wife and daughter. I noticed there are different types of dolphin excursions. Some where you just swim with them, others where you get to ride them.

My daughter is 9, so I am not sure she will want to ride the dolphin.

Is it worth it to go through Cruise Critic or book the Dolphin excursion through an outside tour agency. I know you can book directly with the park.

On the photos, can you buy them separately or do you have to pay for the entire DVD?

Thanks.

I booked Dolphinaris through Carnival because the tour I chose was the same price if booked directly through Dolphinaris. We booked the Swim, Ride and Lunch. The "ride" is very short.. only a few seconds so if she chickens out, you're not really losing much. And you get the lunch which is quite yummy!

You can buy the photos separately but they're crazy expensive. But if you want just 1 photo, it's worth it.

We booked this excursion and found other people on our roll call that also wanted to do it. We all went in with a plan and said we were together as a family so that we could buy 1 DVD that included all photos and video footage of all 10 of us. We paid the $350 for the package, $35 per person and one person was responsible for ripping and burning copies for everyone else. We each have a short video and about 30 digital photos per person give or take some.

With that said, if we couldn't have found a group to split the cost with us, I still would have bought the package since you can't use your own cameras in the water and it's the documentation of this unique experience. You can haggle them a bit on price as well from the numerous reviews I've read on this subject.

Awesome! You get to sail so soon. I am jealous! I want to be back on the Dream! Hey, will you do me a favor? If Chef Trevor is your Chef will you see if you can get his email address for me and tell him about the photos? You can even link him to this thread or the other thread I made just for Chef's table? I would like an email for him though so that I can give him copies of the photos if he wants them.

P.S. Disney doesn't allow outside photographers for weddings on their property. I am pretty sure you have to use a Disney photographer.

I'm not sure about weddings, but Disney does allow photographers to do photoshoots. I know of several people who have hired outside photographers. But again, weddings might be different.

I just got finished reading through your review and I am so impressed. My best friend, her husband, myself and whoever I decide to bring will be doing this cruise on December 8. I've gotten some great ideas from reading your review.

Loved all the pics. It has made me so excited for the winter to start all over again...and it hasn't even ended yet.

Thanks again.

Edited by annasamir

WOW!! Incredible photos. My dog can take better pictures that I can. ;)

I've been to Cozumel and Roatan but was able to see them in a whole new way. Thanks for that.

I'm planning my next cruise and may have to consider the Dream.

Thank you for sharing your incredible talent with all of us.

Alicia, thank you SO much for the excellent review! Your photos are marvelous...so full of life! I especially love the real life photos...also one of my favorite things about cruising. Get me away from the cookie cutter ports and let me see where I am...really gives you a sense of what life is really like for many. And the joy in your faces while you were with the animals is wonderful! We also did Victor's tours twice in Roatan (loved them!) and stopped at Victor's house. The first time was in 2007 and he had a couple of animals, including 2 monkeys in a small cage. When we went back in 2010, we got to hold them again as adults (I think the adults you held), and then we got to hold their babies. Very special, and amazing to see the sanctuary that he has built!

It's funny, as I was reading this, I was thinking that not only are you a gifted photographer, but you are also a gifted writer! It wasn't until pages later I saw your post about your past writing. My heart hurts for you...I lost my Mom 2 years ago, rather quickly as well, and I know how wrenching it can be. But your Mom has obviously given you some very special gifts which you are now sharing with many, and you have to think that she is behind you nudging you on:)

I am thrilled to be sailing with you and Latanya on the Breeze...can't wait to meet you!:D

Thank you so much for posting your review! Your pictures were awesome. I am so glad you are doing a blog. I really hope you can post the link here. You have definitely sparked an interest in the Dream! You definitely have a gift of photography and writing!

Thank you very much! The Dream most likely isn't for everyone which is why there seems to be a love/hate relationship for her between most people. Like I mentioned a while back, if I just wanted to go-go-go and party party party.. I probably wouldn't have loved the Dream as much as other ships that seemed to have more fun stuff to do all the time. But, I had a ton of fun on the Dream and also was able to relax. Are you torn between the Dream and another ship?

WOW!! Incredible photos. My dog can take better pictures that I can. ;)

I've been to Cozumel and Roatan but was able to see them in a whole new way. Thanks for that.

I'm planning my next cruise and may have to consider the Dream.

Thank you for sharing your incredible talent with all of us.

Haha @ your dog! That's cute. :-) I'm glad you were able to see places you've already been in a new light. That's the very reason I like to go back to ports I've already been to in the past... to challenge myself to get something new out of them... to see something completely different and bring home new memories from those experiences.

Good luck with planning your next cruise, regardless of which ship you choose!

Alicia, thank you SO much for the excellent review! Your photos are marvelous...so full of life! I especially love the real life photos...also one of my favorite things about cruising. Get me away from the cookie cutter ports and let me see where I am...really gives you a sense of what life is really like for many. And the joy in your faces while you were with the animals is wonderful! We also did Victor's tours twice in Roatan (loved them!) and stopped at Victor's house. The first time was in 2007 and he had a couple of animals, including 2 monkeys in a small cage. When we went back in 2010, we got to hold them again as adults (I think the adults you held), and then we got to hold their babies. Very special, and amazing to see the sanctuary that he has built!

It's funny, as I was reading this, I was thinking that not only are you a gifted photographer, but you are also a gifted writer! It wasn't until pages later I saw your post about your past writing. My heart hurts for you...I lost my Mom 2 years ago, rather quickly as well, and I know how wrenching it can be. But your Mom has obviously given you some very special gifts which you are now sharing with many, and you have to think that she is behind you nudging you on:)

I am thrilled to be sailing with you and Latanya on the Breeze...can't wait to meet you!:D

Hi there! Latanya and I can't wait to meet you and everyone else on our roll call too! It seems like it's still forever away before we'll be "breezin" :-)

I am sorry to hear about your mom. Losing a mother at any age is extremely difficult. Mine was my entire world, my only family and I was just 22 when she was taken. I just try to live my life now in a way that I know she would be proud of me.

I am glad you loved the review. I plan to do an even better one for the Breeze! :-)

Hi there! Latanya and I can't wait to meet you and everyone else on our roll call too! It seems like it's still forever away before we'll be "breezin" :-)

I am sorry to hear about your mom. Losing a mother at any age is extremely difficult. Mine was my entire world, my only family and I was just 22 when she was taken. I just try to live my life now in a way that I know she would be proud of me.

I am glad you loved the review. I plan to do an even better one for the Breeze! :-)

Well we booked way back in May, so it sounds much better now...at least we're in the right year now!

There is no love like that between a Mom and her daughter...thank God for that!

I have now also looked at the slideshow on your website and the photos are fabulous! So unique...just amazing! Keep up the good work!:D

Well we booked way back in May, so it sounds much better now...at least we're in the right year now!

There is no love like that between a Mom and her daughter...thank God for that!

I have now also looked at the slideshow on your website and the photos are fabulous! So unique...just amazing! Keep up the good work!:D

Aww thanks :-) I see you have another cruise on the Miracle in just 3 months.. perhaps that is helping you a bit with the cruise itch! Haha. I wish I had another cruise planned mid year at some point. I used to do 2 a year but now am lucky to have the time to take off of work for 1 a year.

Aww thanks :-) I see you have another cruise on the Miracle in just 3 months.. perhaps that is helping you a bit with the cruise itch! Haha. I wish I had another cruise planned mid year at some point. I used to do 2 a year but now am lucky to have the time to take off of work for 1 a year.

Yes, we are doing the Miracle for the 3rd time with people we met 3 years ago, so that DOES help;) We suddenly started doing 2 cruises a year, but after this year we have to knock it back to one...really can't afford 2:o

If business is really busy, that's a GOOD thing! But as you had mentioned earlier, maybe you should hire someone to help out so you have some time to stop and smell the roses!:)

Wow, I just found this review this week and have really enjoyed it. It is rare to find a review that is both well written and has such incredible photos...well, I'll just say yours is the best I've read. The photos are simply amazing. A few thoughts:

1. Your mom would be so proud of you and what an honor to her memory your photography skills represent! My son is very active in the theater and I have met many young people who are afraid to come out to their parents and, as a parent, I just cannot imagine something as silly as sexual orientation (which I firmly believe is inborn) coming between family members. I'm sorry your other family members were not more accepting and hope they come around soon.

2. I firmly agree with you about the photography skills of the ship's photographers. Rarely do we find a photo worth purchasing and the candid shots in the dining room are usually the worse. Surely, Carnival would sell more photos if the quality of the photos (and equipment) was upgraded.

3. This is a topic I've never seen much written about, so I may be crazy, but here goes...were you at all concerned about getting hair lice from handling the monkeys? We saw similar monkeys in St. Kitts and I know my kids would have loved to have interacted with them, but after having a daughter who brought home the dreaded hair lice from school, I was afraid. When the monkeys "groom" you, aren't they looking for lice to pick off? Maybe I am just paranoid, but it is because of the lice issue that we have never interacted with these adorable creatures. We live in FL, so a trip to the Miami place with the monkeys would be great fun if I were not so afraid!

4. I gather it is the increased salt intake that causes one's feet to swell, but something I absolutely swear by for cruises (and most of my off work hours) are fit flops or sketchers tone up flip flops. They are truly like walking on a cloud of air and although I don't think they prevent swelling, if you are swollen and uncomfortable, I'd think these would be the best to wear. I don't work for either company, and found them quite by accident, but to me, there is not a more comfortable shoe out there!

5. Living in Orlando, I've made note of your profession and bookmarked it for future reference. Your photos are just stunning. I wonder if you ever photograph theaterical performances? As I mentioned, my son is quite involved in theater and I am always trying to take decent photos of his performances without a flash with horrible results. Of course, I just have a point and shoot camera, but would love to get a DSLR and learn the ins and outs. Maybe one day...

6. Finally, you and Latanya are a beautiful couple and I wish you many years of happiness and loads of fun on future vacations. Hope you are feeling better. (I'm only on page 22 of the review, but was so moved, I had to write now before I've even finished it all).

Thanks again for a wonderful review!!

I thoroughly enjoyed your review. Thank you for taking the time and energy of posting it! I'm so excited to be sailing on the Dream soon in my Spa Cabin!!!

Your countdown clock says 31 days! Oh how I wish I could be sailing on her again in 31 days! Enjoy the trip! P.S. I got your email and will write you back soon... I didn't want to write back until I really had the time to do so. :)

Wow, I just found this review this week and have really enjoyed it. It is rare to find a review that is both well written and has such incredible photos...well, I'll just say yours is the best I've read. The photos are simply amazing. A few thoughts:

1. Your mom would be so proud of you and what an honor to her memory your photography skills represent! My son is very active in the theater and I have met many young people who are afraid to come out to their parents and, as a parent, I just cannot imagine something as silly as sexual orientation (which I firmly believe is inborn) coming between family members. I'm sorry your other family members were not more accepting and hope they come around soon.

2. I firmly agree with you about the photography skills of the ship's photographers. Rarely do we find a photo worth purchasing and the candid shots in the dining room are usually the worse. Surely, Carnival would sell more photos if the quality of the photos (and equipment) was upgraded.

3. This is a topic I've never seen much written about, so I may be crazy, but here goes...were you at all concerned about getting hair lice from handling the monkeys? We saw similar monkeys in St. Kitts and I know my kids would have loved to have interacted with them, but after having a daughter who brought home the dreaded hair lice from school, I was afraid. When the monkeys "groom" you, aren't they looking for lice to pick off? Maybe I am just paranoid, but it is because of the lice issue that we have never interacted with these adorable creatures. We live in FL, so a trip to the Miami place with the monkeys would be great fun if I were not so afraid!

4. I gather it is the increased salt intake that causes one's feet to swell, but something I absolutely swear by for cruises (and most of my off work hours) are fit flops or sketchers tone up flip flops. They are truly like walking on a cloud of air and although I don't think they prevent swelling, if you are swollen and uncomfortable, I'd think these would be the best to wear. I don't work for either company, and found them quite by accident, but to me, there is not a more comfortable shoe out there!

5. Living in Orlando, I've made note of your profession and bookmarked it for future reference. Your photos are just stunning. I wonder if you ever photograph theaterical performances? As I mentioned, my son is quite involved in theater and I am always trying to take decent photos of his performances without a flash with horrible results. Of course, I just have a point and shoot camera, but would love to get a DSLR and learn the ins and outs. Maybe one day...

6. Finally, you and Latanya are a beautiful couple and I wish you many years of happiness and loads of fun on future vacations. Hope you are feeling better. (I'm only on page 22 of the review, but was so moved, I had to write now before I've even finished it all).

Thanks again for a wonderful review!!

Wow! Thanks for taking your own time to write such beautiful remarks. I am speechless. Okay, maybe not speechless... haha... but you get my point.

I would like to believe that you're right, that my mother would be proud of me. One of her sisters (my aunt) and I stay in touch and she has been rather accepting of Latanya and I but she is really the only other family that has at all. At the end of the day, I've learned to be okay with this because I am who I am and I'd rather live a life with little family and be happy with my choices than live a life with family that don't love me for who I really am and force me to supress my individuality.

I have never even considered getting lice from a monkey! Oh god... I am a paranoid individual so thanks for putting that into my "head".. pun intended. lol. I think the places where we've visited the monkeys care a lot about their monkeys and take good care of them. I've never even been the slightest bit itchy from holding them or anything (allergy wise) and I do get that way even when I hold my own cats occasionally.

I've been considering fit flops for a while now. My feet are so oddly shaped that it's hard to get shoes (even flip flops) that work well for me. I wish there was a retail location I could check them out and try them on at...

As for everything else you wanted to know, why don't you shoot me an email? My email is (no spaces) P u r e E m o t i o n s P h o t o g r a p h y @ g m a i l . c o m

Look forward to hearing from you! Glad to hear you live so close by!

3.) An Alaskan cruise. I mostly want to do this to photograph it. To see the sights and to breathe in the rigid, cold air. Latanya doesn't want to take this cruise with me... she thinks she'd be miserable and too cold and it's just not her cup of tea. I've considered taking it with another photographer or finding a roomie on one of the boards or something because this is a dream of mine.

Tell Latanya an Alaskan cruise is not always cold. When we did Alaska in July, 2009 (NCL Star), they were having a bit of a heat wave and the temperatures reached almost 70. The only time we were ever really cold was on our balcony as we sailed by Dawges Glacier. The rest of the trip it was actually quite pleasant outside and coming from FL in July, it felt wonderful!! I'm sure May and Sept cruises experience much colder temperatures, but in July it was really pleasant!!

Wow! Thanks for taking your own time to write such beautiful remarks. I am speechless. Okay, maybe not speechless... haha... but you get my point.

I would like to believe that you're right, that my mother would be proud of me. One of her sisters (my aunt) and I stay in touch and she has been rather accepting of Latanya and I but she is really the only other family that has at all. At the end of the day, I've learned to be okay with this because I am who I am and I'd rather live a life with little family and be happy with my choices than live a life with family that don't love me for who I really am and force me to supress my individuality.

I have never even considered getting lice from a monkey! Oh god... I am a paranoid individual so thanks for putting that into my "head".. pun intended. lol. I think the places where we've visited the monkeys care a lot about their monkeys and take good care of them. I've never even been the slightest bit itchy from holding them or anything (allergy wise) and I do get that way even when I hold my own cats occasionally.

I've been considering fit flops for a while now. My feet are so oddly shaped that it's hard to get shoes (even flip flops) that work well for me. I wish there was a retail location I could check them out and try them on at...

As for everything else you wanted to know, why don't you shoot me an email? My email is (no spaces) P u r e E m o t i o n s P h o t o g r a p h y @ g m a i l . c o m

Look forward to hearing from you! Glad to hear you live so close by!

Sorry to make you itch...but if you have not felt the effects by now, chances are the monkeys were lice free, so all is good, lol. The next time we come across these darling little monkeys, I think we will all take our chances and play with them!!

As for the Fit Flops, our Macys has them, so you could probably try them on there.

Love your photos!!

Sorry to make you itch...but if you have not felt the effects by now, chances are the monkeys were lice free, so all is good, lol. The next time we come across these darling little monkeys, I think we will all take our chances and play with them!!

As for the Fit Flops, our Macys has them, so you could probably try them on there.

Love your photos!!

Awesome! I'll check Macy's out. Latanya and I go to Orlando quite a bit so if they don't have them here, we can check them out there. Shoot me an email... we could all get together one day for lunch or dinner or something. Latanya and I both are really into theatre and performing arts as well :-)