Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maggieq

aos 4/3....just got back

Great weather all week. Stayed at the Caribe Hilton.(pre cruise)...ok, but they need to tend to the resort big time (mainentenance).

Took taxi at 12 p.m. and was on the ship at least by 1p.m. Got to room by 2 p.m.

Aruba - Did the beach by boar (catamaran) - good tour. Also bought drink tickets at the Divi Mega. I think we probably should have done the $45 pp day at the allegro (3 meals and all drinks).

Curacao - did the beach by boat. Beach not as nice as Aruba. Seas were very rough. A few sprinkles of rain here.

St. Maarten - Did the Divi bay beach resort tour - by far the highlight of our cruise. Low rise resort, private property, lunch included and two drink tickets. Beautiful beach and property seemed well maintained and clean (we didn't get a chance to see rooms).

St. Thomas - did the Sunny Liston tour. Two hours of shopping, tour of island, megans bay, drakes seat, mountain top, etc and then 2 hours at Sapphire beach. A good day at a bargain of $20 pp.

A couple of things to remember. There is no duty free before getting on this ship. Previously, on the golden we were able to buy another couple of bottles while waiting to get on.

If you are doing the bus back airport via rccl transfers you can give your luggage to american airlines personnel after exiting ship.

We got early departure and took a taxi and was at the airport by 915-930 a.m.

Flight left at 12:08 p.m.

I will take the time perhaps this weekend to write a complete review. An questions, feel free to ask.

Yay, another one of us made it back. I'm also fashioning an AOS review. I just wanted to add that the ship was nice, the seas weren't the smoothest ever, there was lots of wind in aruba and curacao, and the weather was perfect! :D

Yay, another one of us made it back. I'm also fashioning an AOS review. I just wanted to add that the ship was nice, the seas weren't the smoothest ever, there was lots of wind in aruba and curacao, and the weather was perfect! :D

lephysteria:

I am anxiously awaiting your review :D

Your wedding album is lovely!

awww thank you :D

Just for you, I'll put a STAT on that review ;)

Thanks!

I am cruising on the AOS next January :) I want details!

Stayed at the Caribe Hilton.(pre cruise)...ok, but they need to tend to the resort big time (mainentenance).

Please can you expand on what wasn't quite right about the Hilton as this is a hotel I am considering for my post cruise stay.

Help is always appreciated

Jo

Can you please tell me if you ate at Portifino's. And is it worth the extra money. We are booked on the 5/22 trip.

mja2573: I'm on the cruise right behind yours!

maggieq: Any info regarding the food would be great, thanks!

mja2573...

Last July I was on the Aruba route aboard the AOS. See my review...search july11aosadam...

As for the Portofinos question, we went on Friday night. I believe that night was "Italian night" in the main dining room. I figured if I was going to miss a night in the main room, this was it....and it is WELL WORTH IT. We booked Portofinos the first day we were on the ship. I would suggest doing this as well. So basically, see when Italian is in the dining room and go to Portofinos...you'll love it.

A couple of things to remember. There is no duty free before getting on this ship. Previously, on the golden we were able to buy another couple of bottles while waiting to get on.

We boarded the AOS and received our Seapass Card first. We then got off the ship. We just walked next door to the Princess terminal and made our purchases. That way we did not have to stand in a long line to get back on with our purchases. Very easy process.

It is a short walk and you can bring it on the AOS in a carry-on.

From reading reviews on this board, I requested the main tower. The lobby is nice, open air. The pool area is spacious and they do have a private beach area. Maintenance is the key here because many tiles around the property were cracked missing, garbage along property area and just did not seem very clean. Our room had worn out carpet and lamps that were rusty and musty smell. We never saw anyone cleaning the property inside or out, i.e. vacumming, picking up garbage outside, etc. I think this resort is a diamond in the rough. The piece of property that this resort is on is terrific. With some rennovation to outside property and rooms...this resort would be top notch.

However, based on the above, I would recommend for 1 night or 2.