Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jorjen9

Tortola suggestions

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what to do in Tortola if we do not want to snorkel?

I can highly reccomend the trip to The Baths on Virgin Gorda. A boat ride to Virgin Gorda, quick ride to the top of The Baths, acitve hike down to a beach, another hike through "The Baths" (boulders, caves, tidal pools) to another beautiful beach, includes a STRONG Rum Punch and back to the ship by lunch.

Others highly recommend the "Virgin Island Sailaway".

We did the Virgin Gorda excursion on our first cruise and think it's a "Must do". We will likely try the Sailaway next October.

We did the Tortola Sea and See and loved it. It is split 50-50 between water and land and you get a really nice overall view of the island and feel for the country.

First half is a motor launch trip along the southern coast with narration re the islands you pass (and some rum punch, too). Then a short rest stop at Sopher's Hole boatyard/shops/restaurant area. You then board an open safari bus for a great tour through the interior and rainforest. We had a really nice time, it is not strenuous at all if that is a factor, and it is a great excursion for 1st time visitors to Tortola who want to see the island.

Peaches - you just made my night! This is the only excursion we have booked the entire trip as we are really going laid back this time for some much needed R&R! Sounds like just the ticket. :)

Peaches - you just made my night! This is the only excursion we have booked the entire trip as we are really going laid back this time for some much needed R&R! Sounds like just the ticket. :)

Just a hint about the safari bus ride- it's not called the rainforest for nothing! But there are roll-down plastic shades on each side of the bus. :D

Another suggestion- if you are looking for R&R, by all means try a Stone Massage. I'm not a 'Spa' person normally, but this cruise also was our R&R vacation. I wanted a massage and the Stone one was highly recommended. OMG- run don't walk to the Spa when you get on board. You want Kerry. ;)

Can you get to The Baths (beach) from the water or do all tours there take you only to the top of The Baths and then you have to walk down? Are there water excursions from Tortola to the beach?

We took a taxi for a tour of the island. It is really beautiful once you get up on the mountain. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the open air safarri. Some of them didn't look too bad, but some were little more than a pickup truck modified with seats. In the taxi, we had a really interesting and knowledgable tour guide and rode in air conditioned comfort.

Linda:

Can you provide more information abut your tour? My husband is disabled so we plan to hire a taxi and tour the island while we are there next month. But my sister and I would also like to snorkel in the afternoon. How long did the tour take? And how much did it cost.

Just wondering do all ships tender in Tortola or is there a dock?

Their is a pier for 2 ships to dock in Roadtown. If more than 2 ships are in port the rest tender.

Here's a picture of the dock in Roadtown. The ships are the Star Princess and Westerdam, NCL Dawn and a Costa ship were at anchor and tendered in.

Day4043.JPG.714930b085d0d2ab83869c1df99f0eae.JPG

Just wondering do all ships tender in Tortola or is there a dock?

Per answers above, there are two spaces at the cruise pier (they were working on one of them when we were there in January ... so only one) to dock.

Actually, Tortola is a GREAT place to tender because the tender dock is in the middle of town!!! :)

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Actually, Tortola is a GREAT place to tender because the tender dock is in the middle of town!!! :)

Likewise for St. Maarten. We tendered into the center of town. The four ships that docked were much farther away from the main town area and most folks from those ships payed to take a water taxi that dropped them off at the same dock the tenders used.