Freedom 6 day cruise

geneology

Gapearl, angelkisses, CJinFLAOO, Funfamilyof6,Sandt, and Qluvs2cruz

Thank you for all the great suggestions and ideas. I am now getting off the ship in ocho rios. Hell I live on Long Island if I can survive NYC and some of its worst areas I should be able to handle Jamaica on an excursion. LOL

I never thought of the Maitre D -- but my husband would have since he was one in a catering hall for many years when we first got married.

Was not going to remove the tips from the card just wanted to make sure we also tipped everyone I was supposed to. Did not want to get on the ship ignorant but stupid is ok. LOL

As for Grand Cayman I have been leaning towards Rum point. Now researching what is the best way to get there and back on our own.

Someone else mentioned Calico Jacks- is that a restaurant?

As for Key West - Trolley it is!! Thanks again for all the great information! :D

You are going to have a terrific time! :)

As far as Grand Cayman goes...we didn't go via Carnival last summer we went through RCCL. It was easy and quick tendering there, but coming back from our excursion was a looooooooooooong line, I'd estimate about an hour to get back on this ship. The line was so long that RCCL had to pull the water out. They had dogs searching for drugs. I don't know if they do this every day, but after a long day it was a little annoying. It didn't take away from our great day though. ;)

Gapearl, angelkisses, CJinFLAOO, Funfamilyof6,Sandt, and Qluvs2cruz

Thank you for all the great suggestions and ideas. I am now getting off the ship in ocho rios. Hell I live on Long Island if I can survive NYC and some of its worst areas I should be able to handle Jamaica on an excursion. LOL

I never thought of the Maitre D -- but my husband would have since he was one in a catering hall for many years when we first got married.

Was not going to remove the tips from the card just wanted to make sure we also tipped everyone I was supposed to. Did not want to get on the ship ignorant but stupid is ok. LOL

As for Grand Cayman I have been leaning towards Rum point. Now researching what is the best way to get there and back on our own.

Someone else mentioned Calico Jacks- is that a restaurant?

As for Key West - Trolley it is!! Thanks again for all the great information! :D

Rum Point is gorgeous, but it's a long drive. If you want to go there, I highly recommend picking an excursion (either through Carnival or a private tour operator) that goes there.

We want to do SRC & the 2 snorkel stops (barrier reef & coral gardens) in GC.I'm looking at Moby Dick, Native Ways, or Captain Bryan. I can’t decide on which tour to take. My question is how many people are normally on these tours?? I DO NOT want to be in a "cattle call" that goes along with the excursions that carnival offer.

Rum Point is gorgeous, but it's a long drive. If you want to go there, I highly recommend picking an excursion (either through Carnival or a private tour operator) that goes there.

That is what I am finding out. Do you know of another beach that is closer that also in nice? I know there is 7 mile but it sounds like elbow beach in bermuda. The main beach that all the tourists go to.

We want to do SRC & the 2 snorkel stops (barrier reef & coral gardens) in GC.I'm looking at Moby Dick, Native Ways, or Captain Bryan. I can’t decide on which tour to take. My question is how many people are normally on these tours?? I DO NOT want to be in a "cattle call" that goes along with the excursions that carnival offer.

When we went with Moby Dick, there were maybe 15 people...so not crowded at all...plus they have a nice fresh water shower on their boat so you can wash off after getting in the water with the sting rays or snorkeling. I really enjoyed their tour.

QLUVS2CRUZ -- Thank you so much for the information. We are going with out the kids -who r older some in college - youngest in HS will be away for the week so we did not feel guilty leaving with out them.

I will look at FAQ - I just read a thread where everyone has an opinion on formal night - DH dresses for work and does not want to have to pack a suit. I was hoping it was only 1 formal night.

We were told when ever dining was not available and we had to pick a time - since we were used to the other way did not want to make a mistake.

Thanks again.

I was on the same cruise in 2009 - I only recall one formal night. Men usually wear open dress shirts and pants with no ties. Some really dress up and a few even wear tuxedos. My husband packed a suit for first cruise only and none since after we saw more of what people wore on formal night. Any time dining was not available when we were on it. Of the three cruises I have been on, only was seven night cruise where there was a formal night and a semi formal night. Our cruise in three weeks is seven days so it will be interesting to know if there is just one or two "dress up" nights.

I was on the same cruise in 2009 - I only recall one formal night. Men usually wear open dress shirts and pants with no ties. Some really dress up and a few even wear tuxedos. My husband packed a suit for first cruise only and none since after we saw more of what people wore on formal night. Any time dining was not available when we were on it. Of the three cruises I have been on, only was seven night cruise where there was a formal night and a semi formal night. Our cruise in three weeks is seven days so it will be interesting to know if there is just one or two "dress up" nights.

We were on this same cruise last December and there were two elegant nights. They were pretty much the same, no distinction between formal and semi-formal...they're all pretty much semi formal now.

This is from Carnival's FAQs about elegant night:

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage. The length of the cruise determines the number of Cruise Elegant evenings in the Dining Room. The first Cruise Elegant evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise; the second Cruise Elegant evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd day prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

• 1-day cruise: none

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening

• 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

Welcome to Carnival.

I would also recommend KnowJamaica tours. Do a search for it. Marva Shaw is the owner, we used her and started out with everyone and then split off. We went and climbed the falls, went tubing down the river, visited the Jamaican pottery place, and then our favorite went to a school and dropped off some stuff from the kids. We felt very safe and enjoyed our time in Jamaica.

When we went with Moby Dick, there were maybe 15 people...so not crowded at all...plus they have a nice fresh water shower on their boat so you can wash off after getting in the water with the sting rays or snorkeling. I really enjoyed their tour.

Thanks!! I will look into them more. They seem to be really popular!

Archived