The Nordic Empress

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise ship was Nortic Empress also. I loved that ship, the following year we went on it again and then the next year we took out 2 teenagers and a friend for them and we all loved it!!! We are going on the Freedom of the seas this year and I am just not sure about it. To big!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Our first cruise ship was Nortic Empress also. I loved that ship, the following year we went on it again and then the next year we took out 2 teenagers and a friend for them and we all loved it!!! We are going on the Freedom of the seas this year and I am just not sure about it. To big!!!

I've sailed on Adventure of the Seas which is one step smaller. All you need to do is ignore the areas you're not interested in and that shrinks the ship in your mind. Otherwise you can get overwhelmed. Seriously, after a day or so to get the lay of the land, so the speak, you'll be fine.

Along with Sovereign (formerly RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas) and Zenith and Horizon formerly of Celebrity Cruises. Not a bad little second-hand fleet.

I couldn't agree more. After sailing three times on Pullmantur, including the Horizon (2010) and Zenith (2011) I'm amazed more of the people who claimed to have loved these ships have not given them a try with Pullmantur. Easy to book in North America, a lack of Spanish is absolutely no problem, and good food, great service, and all-included booze. What more could one want.

• 4 weeks later...

I always thought Empress was the perfect size ship for us. A "mini-mega" with a Centrum and Viking Crown Lounge. We cruised Nordic Empress and EOS three times; southern Caribbean and Bermuda.

She was small enough to cruise "the cut" into St. George, Bermuda but big enough in that you could find your own space.

The rock climbing wall added in later years by RCI did little for her appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Took our first cruise on Nordic Empress too. Went to Bermuda it was great. Know she's a small ship but for us being the first cruise ship we ever saw we thought she was massive. I can still remember driving into NY and seeing her we were blown away, and when we boarded Oh My she took our breath away. Great memories!!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

She was my first cruise in 1992, 4 day Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau, Coco Cay). I remember rolling up to the Port of Miami and I couldn't get over how HUGE she was. A ship from the Dolphin lined followed us on the same itinerary - that just made the Empress look bigger.

I followed up that cruise with cruises on the Majesty, Monarch and Sovereign.

In 1997 when I was on the Sovereign the final morning in Miami waiting to disembark and the Captain announced that the newest member of the RCCL fleet would be entering the port of Miami for the first time. I don't remember which ship is was (although I'm sure if I searched long enough I'd find my old camcorder videos), it would have been Vision Class, but I was amazed at how much bigger the new ship was as it sailed by us (with all the waterworks...very cool).

I hadn't been on a cruise since then until February of this year when I was on the Liberty of the Seas - wow how times have changed!! I can't even fathom what Quantum is going to be like!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread - we just booked Quantum for Christmas, and the last time we sailed RCCL was on the Nordic Empress in 1994 for our honeymoon! I wanted to see if I could still get our C&A membership and benefits based on our 20-year old cruise, so I pulled out our scrapbook and I still have our cruise cards and Cruise Compasses. I even have the "Sweet Dreams" cards they left every night with the date, sunset / sunrise, and temps typed in on a typewriter. Amazingly, just called C&A and they already had us in their database, albeit with my maiden name. Too many great memories of this little ship.

• 4 weeks later...
Resurrecting this old thread - we just booked Quantum for Christmas, and the last time we sailed RCCL was on the Nordic Empress in 1994 for our honeymoon! I wanted to see if I could still get our C&A membership and benefits based on our 20-year old cruise, so I pulled out our scrapbook and I still have our cruise cards and Cruise Compasses. I even have the "Sweet Dreams" cards they left every night with the date, sunset / sunrise, and temps typed in on a typewriter. Amazingly, just called C&A and they already had us in their database, albeit with my maiden name. Too many great memories of this little ship.

Do you remember the itinerary for Empress?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...