Beach Glass in Bermuda

traveller99

Hi, all. I found this response to a question that Barbie1 and RichNY, with commentary from Swizzle and Bermuda Longtail (whew.. and that was from memory :rolleyes: - if I left anyone out, my apologies) concerning where to find the famous BEACH GLASS. OK, one of you all said near St. Davids, and I saw this on the Bermuda Escapes website;

"I live in Bermuda & there is an excellent glass beach in St. Georges. The beach is called Alexandra Battery Beach. Tons & tons of glass there. You should be on any bus taking you into St. Georges (i.e. 10, 11, etc.) from Hamilton. Once on the bus you can ask the driver to let u off. (it would be the very last stop in St. Georges) I have never walked it from the bus stop, as I usually walk there from my apartment in another direction. People are pretty good in giving directions & its not very far from the bus stop."

I'm going to give it a try, if for no other reason than the fact that I'm from Alexandria. Hope this helps. ENJOY!

This little beach is very easy to find - look for the Alexandra Battery, which is quite large. You can walk there from the center of town, takes about 25 minutes if you walk briskly. Or you can take a local bus for $3.00. I visit there faithfully each time I'm on the island, and have a bounty of beach glass to prove it.

Go at LOW TIDE for the best picking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask on the ship or in town for the correct time for low tide - it will make an enormous difference in the amount of glass you will see and be able to acquire.

Warning - Blue glass is quite rare and more difficult to find, but well worth the extra searching. Enjoy your time on this beach. It'll be well worth your time spent.

If you're really feeling daring - go out to the end of the concrete wall, climb up and over the rocks, and down into the cave. The glass collects heavily in the cave.

This is not for the faint of heart, and requires a certain amount of dexterity and bravery. It'll be worth it though, if you get into the cave. Just WATCH YOUR HEAD!!!

Hi, all. I found this response to a question that Barbie1 and RichNY, with commentary from Swizzle and Bermuda Longtail (whew.. and that was from memory :rolleyes: - if I left anyone out, my apologies) concerning where to find the famous BEACH GLASS. OK, one of you all said near St. Davids, and I saw this on the Bermuda Escapes website;

"I live in Bermuda & there is an excellent glass beach in St. Georges. The beach is called Alexandra Battery Beach. Tons & tons of glass there. You should be on any bus taking you into St. Georges (i.e. 10, 11, etc.) from Hamilton. Once on the bus you can ask the driver to let u off. (it would be the very last stop in St. Georges) I have never walked it from the bus stop, as I usually walk there from my apartment in another direction. People are pretty good in giving directions & its not very far from the bus stop."

I'm going to give it a try, if for no other reason than the fact that I'm from Alexandria. Hope this helps. ENJOY!

What exactly is beach glass? I realize glass is made of sand that is heated then fused together. Will it cut you? Is it sharp?

Sounds interesting though.

thanks

art

Hi, Art. Yep, me again. It's just the remnants of broken bottles, and the like. It has been washed around in the ocean for God knows how long. During the process it becomes rounded and no sharpe edges remain and it loses it's clarity, kinda like sanding. This interest in Bermuda is that there are certain areas that the beach is literally covered with the stuff, almost a substitue for the beach sand itself. Folks collect it, fill glass jars, make jewelry and art work from it.

• 1 month later...

Just to give an followup to this thread, when we went three weeks ago, there was NO ONE on the beach and TONS OF BEACH GLASS on the ground. I went into the cave as a prior post had suggested, but found most of the beach glass on the beach right next to the concrete wall. We went right at low tide too, that might have helped as well. We also found a bunch of blue glass too, along with bottle tops, bottoms, plate pieces, coffee cups and much more interesting stuff.

I will be posting a pick of the beach and cave in the next few days.

If you go to the street fair in Hamilton, they sell beach glass that is wrapped in a metal wire then hung on a necklace for 30.00 or more, depending on the size of the beach glass. If you go to this beach, you can get all the beach glass you want and make your own necklaces, if you want to save some money, however, it would not hurt to buy one from the locals to keep them in good spirits with the tourists.

art

Thanks so much for the info Art. I have more things I want to do and see on this cruise than the hours will allow.

Well, we did this when we were in St George, since there really wasn't much to do there anyway except shop. We walked to the fort at the cut (can't remember the name) where the town crier welcomed us as the ship was passing through, then just followed the road around to the Alexander Battery Park/Beach, a little bit of a walk to do all of it, but the busses don't go out that far. Plus we needed to work off the buffet line from our waist line.

art

Thanks so much for the info Art. I have more things I want to do and see on this cruise than the hours will allow.

I am now looking for an 8 night or longer cruise that stays in Bermuda just 1 or two days longer. We would have liked to have gone to more beaches or the aquarium.

Have you see Rachel Rays 40.00 a day? There is a Bermuda episode and we tried to check out all of the restaurants she went to, just for fun.

art

What a wonderful idea!!!!

I have a neighbor who makes jewelery... Maybe if I give her the peices that I find she could make me a necklace... What a special souvenir that would make...

thanks, Barb

What a wonderful idea!!!!

I have a neighbor who makes jewelery... Maybe if I give her the peices that I find she could make me a necklace... What a special souvenir that would make...

thanks, Barb

Yup.....I didn't buy gifts this time. I collected the glass and Im making something for everyone with it. My next project is going to be a wind chime for my mom for her garden! Im just going to have to go back more often to replenish my supply!:p

Sorry I haven't uploaded the pic of the beach or the cement wall yet, my scanner is not working, maybe it's time to buy a digital camera.

Maybe Rob has a digital camera to take a picture of it for us!!

There is internet access in Hamilton right off the dock, 6 dollars for 30 minutes if anyone is interested.

art

• 4 years later...

Snookum wrote: I would love to see a picture of the beach and the cave where there is sea glass. Is the cave dangerous to go into?

Do a Google image search ( http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi ) for bermuda sea glass. On page 3, 2nd row from the top, 2nd column, there is a woman seated on a rock at the mouth of the cave collecting sea glass. You have to be there at low tide otherwise the sea glass & rock she is sitting on will be under water. The cave and beach are located at Alexandra's Battery Park which is within walking distance from St George.

When I did a preview post, the image was where the directions I provided said it would be, but YMMV.

To see a picture of the beach, go to Google maps and search on Bermuda. Keep increasing the map size until you see St George and center the map on SG. Make sure to use the satellite map with show labels selected. Hide the explore this area on the left. Keep making the map bigger. Look for Cut Rd or Barry Rd, Alexandra's Battery Park is near them.

If you'll be at the Dockyard, there is a sea glass beach closer to the Dockyard.

Snookum wrote: I would love to see a picture of the beach and the cave where there is sea glass. Is the cave dangerous to go into?

Do a Google image search ( http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi ) for bermuda sea glass. On page 3, 2nd row from the top, 2nd column, there is a woman seated on a rock at the mouth of the cave collecting sea glass. You have to be there at low tide otherwise the sea glass & rock she is sitting on will be under water. The cave and beach are located at Alexandra's Battery Park which is within walking distance from St George.

When I did a preview post, the image was where the directions I provided said it would be, but YMMV.

To see a picture of the beach, go to Google maps and search on Bermuda. Keep increasing the map size until you see St George and center the map on SG. Make sure to use the satellite map with show labels selected. Hide the explore this area on the left. Keep making the map bigger. Look for Cut Rd or Barry Rd, Alexandra's Battery Park is near them.

If you'll be at the Dockyard, there is a sea glass beach closer to the Dockyard.

We are leaving for King's Wharf on the 29th - can you please tell me the name of the beach near there for sea glass? How close? Thanks.

We are leaving for King's Wharf on the 29th - can you please tell me the name of the beach near there for sea glass? How close? Thanks.

I'm not positive but I think it is Black Bay. It is not a beach people normally go to for beach time and most just refer to it as the glass beach. If you take the bus and tell the driver you would like to get off at the glass beach, he will know what you are talking about.

Archived