My Epicly Long Epic Reivew - 01/07/12 - 01/14/12

SliceOfLife

We were on that same cruise (hey guys!) and also had an aft balcony cabin, on deck 11. I admit we didn't hear a thing coming from Spice, and we tried, but with the sliding door open, the ocean noise drowned out any music that we might have heard. I didn't notice any movement either, until the last morning of the cruise and then it was like an earthquake with all the vibrations. But I'm apparently not at all sensitive to ship movement. My husband could notice it much more than me, and aside from some gentle rocking (which I thought was very pleasant) most of the time I couldn't even have said we were on the water.

I will second the opinion that the bed by the balcony works better. Ours was not, and there was no room to get around someone using the sink. The storage space is pretty awesome. I found a space under the coffeemaker right next to the sink on the 5th or 6th day, and it had nifty bins attached to the doors for stashing small things. I knew from talking to someone else that these bins are on the closet doors on the inside cabins.

This is the exact trip I will be taking in one year. Can you tell me the average temps you encountered along the way - Miami, St. Martin, St.Thomas, etc.? I am hoping it is warm enough for swimming/snorkeling for dh. This cruise is for his 50th birthday and I am happy to sit on the beach and observe, lol.

It was about 80 in all the ports when we visited. The waters in St. Martin were warmer than St. Thomas, the water is plenty warm for swimming and snorkeling.

Great review! I went 12/17-12/24 and share your enthusiasm for the trip-

A Coke drinker myself- I skipped the soda card and just waited until McDonald's at the Miami airport to get one!

I did like the bacon though lol, but thought the chicken pot pie was too watery. However, I was thrilled to be eating at Osheenan's before noon on embarkation day.

We ate at O'Sheehan's on embarkation day too! I agree, the pot pie is more like a soup with a giant puffy pastry on top.

I forgot a few things...

Join your roll call! It was a lot of fun meeting new people and having people to hang out with. A bunch of us really hit it off and ended up going to dinner together, had an impromptu cabin crawl, did excursions together, and so on.

On our cabin crawl we got to see two aft cabins, ours and Apsalar's. My cabin had the bed by the balcony and her cabin had the couch by the balcony, two inside cabins (they looked pretty roomy), the much talked about Haven rooms! I don't remember which room they had but it looked like a 5 star hotel! On our way back to our room, 4 of us found the door to the single rooms was ajar so we took advantage and cut though the area. We found a nice lady that offered to show us her room. If you're a solo traveler, those rooms are a great deal! They looked just a tad smaller than the inside rooms.

My favorite lunch findings at the buffet were the highly sought after pretzel rolls, different wraps and sandwiches, the pepperoni pizza was pretty good, and the chilled fruit soups. Each day there is a different soup and they were all really good! Also, the ice cream was awesome, both soft serve and hard ice cream, yum!! I am also a sucker for bread pudding and each day there was a different variety so I was in heaven!

We were on that same cruise (hey guys!) and also had an aft balcony cabin, on deck 11. I admit we didn't hear a thing coming from Spice, and we tried, but with the sliding door open, the ocean noise drowned out any music that we might have heard. I didn't notice any movement either, until the last morning of the cruise and then it was like an earthquake with all the vibrations.

Hi!!!

I should have mentioned that I sleep with a fan on too, but I could still hear and feel the bass from Spice but my husband could. Opening the doors is a great way to drown out anything!

Earthquake, that's a great way to describe the vibrations pulling into the Miami port. It was about 5:30 when the rumbling started! Wow!

Thanks for the thoughts, I would add to mine that TEpinyaki had the worst service of all dining, food was Ok. show not as good as remembered in the past. Would not do it that dinner again on any NCL for these reasons.

Slice of Life! Thanks for the review! A few questions if you don't mind. Where does the Epic dock in St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau? I am wondering if there is shopping that is walkable from each of the piers where they are docked. Are cabs easily available for those who don't want to make the walk to shopping?

Thanks!

Tammy

We were in 12087 so not really that far from you, just a little lower. I can't explain it but the ship really moved a lot during my cruise. Maybe there was more going on with the seas than I was aware of (the ship channel never seemed to work either for that matter).

Personally I like to know I'm on a ship so it was OK with me but it was never smooth.

We were on a few weeks prior to you, and I felt a lot of movement too. When the captain gave his morning briefings, he mentioned several times how calm the seas were, so I was surprised how much movement I felt. It did not make me sick, but it was noticeable. I wonder if it has to do with how tall the ship is relative to its length? I know nothing about ship building, but would think all other thigns being equal, a taller ship would expereince more movement.

Slice of Life! Thanks for the review! A few questions if you don't mind. Where does the Epic dock in St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau? I am wondering if there is shopping that is walkable from each of the piers where they are docked. Are cabs easily available for those who don't want to make the walk to shopping?

Thanks!

Tammy

St. Martin it docks in Phillipsburg

St. Thomas WICO Havensight

Nassau, main docking area (not sure it's real name)

St. Thomas and Nassau have shopping right outside where the boat docks and St. Martin is about a 10 - 15 minute walk. There are taxis everywhere so if you don't want to walk you can just grab a ride.

We were on a few weeks prior to you, and I felt a lot of movement too. When the captain gave his morning briefings, he mentioned several times how calm the seas were, so I was surprised how much movement I felt. It did not make me sick, but it was noticeable. I wonder if it has to do with how tall the ship is relative to its length? I know nothing about ship building, but would think all other thigns being equal, a taller ship would expereince more movement.

The captain said there were calm seas also, I said I would hate to see what this thing is like in rough seas!!! I felt movement all the time, it was less noticable once we were out of the Atlantic and the winds.

Great review. I have hesitated trying Epic because I am not sure that I am a "super ship" kind of person but your review has me rethinking.

Yay, thanks! You should read sdmike's review too, that should put you over the edge to book a cruise on the Epic.

Thank you SliceOfLife for your review! We are currently debating between Coki Beach and Sapphire Beach, your review has us now leaning more to Sapphire! Cannot wait to see the photos.

Getting too excited now!

St. Martin it docks in Phillipsburg

St. Thomas WICO Havensight

Nassau, main docking area (not sure it's real name)

St. Thomas and Nassau have shopping right outside where the boat docks and St. Martin is about a 10 - 15 minute walk. There are taxis everywhere so if you don't want to walk you can just grab a ride.

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your incredible review of the Epic! Still reading through it, but wanted to ask a few questions while I had them in my mind and on this posting...So it is true that you are allowed to bring Coca Cola products on the ship, since they serve Pepsi products? And second question, the Lobster night on the FIRST night (forget the name of the restaurant), do you mean the Saturday night or the Sunday night? One other question, does the Epic have a "Sail Away" BBQ dinner? My husband and I are cruising the Epic on 2/25/12 and are getting so excited

Thanks for your incredible review of the Epic! Still reading through it, but wanted to ask a few questions while I had them in my mind and on this posting...So it is true that you are allowed to bring Coca Cola products on the ship, since they serve Pepsi products?

You can bring any non-alcoholic beverages onboard that you please. Many people say they buy a case of water bottles or soda and put a luggage tag on it. You could also carry-on.

Thanks for your incredible review of the Epic! Still reading through it, but wanted to ask a few questions while I had them in my mind and on this posting...So it is true that you are allowed to bring Coca Cola products on the ship, since they serve Pepsi products? And second question, the Lobster night on the FIRST night (forget the name of the restaurant), do you mean the Saturday night or the Sunday night? One other question, does the Epic have a "Sail Away" BBQ dinner? My husband and I are cruising the Epic on 2/25/12 and are getting so excited

Yes, just bring your Coke products on, either carry them yourself, or do what we do -- reinforce with a little bit of duct tape, create a handle with the tape (you know those 12 pack handles rip at the WORST times...) and slap a luggage tag around the handle. Then check it. It will show up at your stateroom. :)

Last week, we brought on Coke Zero, Tonic, Sour Mix, and Cranberry juice. No issues with any. Paid the $75 in corkage right after we got through security. Painless. We think the ship had great tasting water.

Great review! Thanks!

My hubby and I have been researching to determine which cruise we want to do for our 10th anniversary next year. Epic is in our top 3 (teetering between #1 and #2). I've never been NCL, but my husband took an NCL cruise when he graduated from high school. I'm curious about what types of passengers we would find. We are in our early 30s, and will be traveling without our souvenier that we picked up on our '08 cruise. :) Did you experience large groups? I don't usually have a problem with them, but a very large group managed to take over most of the ship on my last cruise.

Also.. any tips on selecting a balcony? We would be going with a basic balcony, but I'm wondering where a good area would be. Concerned only somewhat about noise, more about feeling the movement and having unobstructed views. I've never gotten seasick until my Mariner cruise in '08, and that wasn't a very fun last night on the ship.

Also.. I've seen pics of the bathrooms, and am not concerned about what you can see, but... are they soundproof? Forgive me for the weird question. lol

Oh, one more question! We cruised in December 2009 and it was very cold. So cold that I only wore a bathing suit one day on the ship and stayed wrapped up in a towel the whole time. I'm hoping that leaving from Miami would give us less "towel days" so to speak.

Thanks again for your review, and any questions you or anybody else can answer would be greatly appreciated!