momof4_tn

Voyager 1/7/2012 NOLA sailing review w/ pics

P1100180.jpg

Ships hanging with us in Cayman

P1100187.jpg

P1100184.jpg

This guy joined us for lunch. He was enjoying the sun as much as we were.

P1100193.jpg

Headed back to the Voyager

P1100194.jpg

As though we hadn't seen enough animals today, this guy took over my bed after dinner.

We sail on the Voyager March 17th - really loving your posts and photos. This will be our FIRST CRUISE !!!! So excited and ready to go. Thanks for your info. :)

Did you notice the musicians that played daily at the Aquarium Bar? This would have been a pianist and probably a violinist - or a trio, perhaps? They usually play light classics-type music.

I would love pictures and/or names if you have them. We have made friends with several of the Rosario Strings on this ship and others, and would like to know who's playing now!

I am enjoying your review, and I miss MY Voyager!:(

Thank you for taking time to post, I am enjoying your review very much!

We are on the 2/18/12 sailing and cannot wait to get on the ship!

Did you notice the musicians that played daily at the Aquarium Bar? This would have been a pianist and probably a violinist - or a trio, perhaps? They usually play light classics-type music.

I would love pictures and/or names if you have them. We have made friends with several of the Rosario Strings on this ship and others, and would like to know who's playing now!

I am enjoying your review, and I miss MY Voyager!:(

Honestly, we aren't bar people. I will tell you the Aquarium bar area was a little confusing to me. I know at least during the day it was pretty desolate place. I don't recall ever really seeing anyone there. You are welcome to look through the Compasses as I get them posted to see if any entertainment is listed to that area. Sorry I'm not much help on that.. I do know that I thought there were way too many bar areas but from what I read our sailing was not full maybe that's why they all looked as though they were dead. The ones on the promenade stayed full.

Ok, so most of you will be glad to know most of the rest of the review will be pictures as it seems I have more pics than words at this point. I do hope to finish with the Compass scanning on Monday or Tuesday and get this finished out.

Day 5 - Jamaica

We really had no plans for today except to do whatever as it came. We went up to breakfast. I will insert here we always ate breakfast sometime between 7 and 8 and never had an issue finding a table in the Windjammer.

Advice - They have most of the same stuff in the back of the Windjammer that they have on the sides as you walk in. The exception is the potatoes. Then in the back there is only one place you can find the beans if you want them for breakfast. Back area to me always seemed less crowded and that's where the omelet station was. Also, snacks are in the back in the afternoon. Build your own nachos, hot dogs, fries, hamburgers.

P1110197.jpg

P1110198.jpg

These potatoes were only on the sides. Greasy ones were in the back.

P1110199.jpg

My omelet

P1110200.jpg

Jamaica as we pulled in

P1110204.jpg

Empty pool deck this morning, but it would be hopping by the end of the day. It was upper 80's and plenty hot.

P1110205.jpg

View of Falmouth

P1110213.jpg

P1110216.jpg

Freedom Pulling alongside

P1110218.jpg

View up - I think that is window washers up there. The only reason I say that is later in the aftenoon I was napping with the curtains open. I thought it had started to rain and then here came two men by pressure washing the balconies. Glad I had clothes on. lol :o

Edited by momof4_tn

So as you can see, after breakfast we decided to get off the ship and go exploring. I knew I wanted to pick up some Blue Mountain coffee, and some t-shirts from the Harley Davidson store.

P1110224.jpg

Local artistry

I want to say this. Maybe it's just me, but it really bothered me to see some passengers be so rude with the people in the craft market areas. In the gated area we were never asked once to look at anything or even appoached unless we were actually touching the products. In most cases, I had to find someone to ask how much. These people do this work by hand, and it is their living. I'm sure those within the gated area are having to pay something to be there (my guess). I heard one passenger get very indignant while trying to get a steal on a walking stick. Most prices I felt were reasonable, and they would come down some but have some respect for these people. If they tell you $45 don't offer them $10, that's insulting. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

P1110225.jpg

That's me in front of the clock. Did I mention it was hot?

P1110227.jpg

This was inside the gated area, so I'm not sure where the horse and buggy ride would have taken you.

P1110229.jpg

As you were walking toward the gates of the enclosed area, they had these signs that told about the history of Jamaica and Falmouth. They were very interesting. Just to show my ignorance I thought Jamiaca was still under the control of the UK, but I learned that they are actually independent.

So we get to the end of the enclosed area, and Bill is wanting to continue exploring. I'm not really sure based on what I've read, but he insists. So, off we go. The only advice I can give you is if you're not interested don't stop, don't look, and don't take a picture. Once you engage them at all it's a little hard to get away. We didn't wander to far, but here are a few pics.

P1110232.jpg

This guy had some type of fruit and it was either rotten or badly bruised. He was on a mission though making laps through town.

P1110233.jpg

P1110235.jpg

Me again. Can you tell I'm thrilled to be standing in the middle of all this?

P1110236.jpg

The area to the right of this pic (and me) is where the buses were for excursions booked through the ship.

P1110237.jpg

A pirate ship had been docked that morning but was out in the water that aftenoon. We could hear the music all the way to our balcony.

P1110244.jpg

I'm just curious if anyone knows what this island is off of Falmouth? It looks like they're building something on there. Just wonder what.

P1110247.jpg

Cafe Promenade Area

P1110248.jpg

P1110249.jpg

P1110251.jpg

P1110257.jpg

Bill hurt himself on these Savory Bites all week. With all those poppyseeds we joked that he would certainly failed a drug test upon return.

P1110259.jpg

We both ordered the spinach dip as an appetizer. It's so funny we weren't ever actually all that hungry but it was really hard to remember to take a pic of our food before we devoured it. Julio brought us a shrimp cocktail as well.

P1110261.jpg

P1110262.jpg

I had the shrimp and mahi tempura. It was delicious. I want to add we're not picky people when it comes to food but we do appreciate fine dining as well. We didn't have any food on the ship that was bad. From Cafe Promenade to the WJ to the main dining room, we loved every bite.

P1110263.jpg

I think this was the New York strip ordered medium rare.

Day 6 At Sea

P1120268.jpg

One day left and I'm afaid this is a view I could get used to.

So we figured we had eaten so much this week and done so little that we could help ourselves and help out the Make A Wish Foundation by participating in the Walk-a-thon. We went up to the Sports Deck to get our shirts.

P1120269.jpg

Then we figured if we were going to walk we probably needed a snack first to keep up our strength.

P1120270.jpg

Lucky us. It was Roast Beef day that's what is on the poppyseed roll (great more poppyseeds). The other is a grilled veggie sandwich. I loved these. Grilled eggplant, zuchini, squash, and red peppers.

Starting the walk. The seas were so calm on Day 6. Really the perfect day, still hot, nice breeze, great sun.

P1120275.jpg

Didn't know until I was loading all these that someone was shooting me while walking.

Well, we walked a mile so we deserve another meal right? They were grilling on the pool deck. They had ribs, baked potatoes, corn, and slaw. Sorry no pic, blood sugar must have been too low after that walk. But the food was good. This was really the online "line" we encountered all week.

P1120276.jpg

Guess my calm seas pic didn't post.

P1120272.jpg

P1120279.jpg

P1120282.jpg

After lunch it was time for the Sexiest Man Competition. We watched from one deck above. It was fun as usual.

P1120292.jpg

Formal Night

Formal Night Dinner Pics

P1120293.jpg

This was the Wild Mushrooms in Puff Pastry

Bill had the Cream of Asparagus Soup (no pic). He said it was tasty.

This was lobster night. Bill had Lobster. Julio took it out of the shell for him. I had the Prime Rib. I will say the Prime Rib I had earlier in the week was better than tonight, but I think it was simply the cut of meat. Julio came back before we ordered desset to see if Bill wanted another lobster. (He didn't know all we had done was eat that day.) We love Julio.

Dessert was Cherries Jubillee. I almost licked the plate. This was yummy. This was also the night of a Sampler that included the Flourless Chocolate CAke. We kept eating this chocolate thing and trying to figure out what it was because the texture was so unique. I could have had a dozen of those.

Day 7 - At Sea and Random Pics

P1130296.jpg

Picture Area

Art Display

P1130297.jpg

Rougher Seas Day 7

P1130300.jpg

Day 7 was way too cool for me and it was really the only time on the whole cruise that you could feel movement. This was especially true when you were all the way forward.

View Down the Promenade

P1130304.jpg

We spent most of this day packing, playing both rounds of Bingo (morning and afternoon) and taking some pictures. They did another lunch buffet on the pool deck but I"m not sure what they served. We went to the WJ. They had some grilled chicken that was really juicy and tender.

Bill's Burger - Afternoon Snack

P1130306.jpg

La Scala Theatre inside

P1130312.jpg

P1130314.jpg

P1130315.jpg

Studio B

Julio, Zoran, and myself. These were our amazing servers.

P1130316.jpg

Scallop Risotto was really good.

P1130321.jpg

Lamb Shank

P1130322.jpg

Moon on the Mississippi returning home

P1130323.jpg

Edited by momof4_tn

What a GREAT review...Loved your comments and pictures....You looked lovely on formal night...glad you had a great time and your review tipped the scale in favor of this trip in March for Kathy & I...hope to meet y'all on a future cruise...:) Dennis

Thanks for taking the time to post your wonderful pictures and great review. We are on this ship sailing 2/04/2012 - so not much longer to wait for us.

I love the Voyager class ships best of all.

Joyce

I love reviews and you have done an exceptional job. You looked great on formal night. I loved the dress. Glad you had such a great cruise! I had to laugh at you in Falmouth. Exactly how I felt!

Great review and great pics! We are sailing 3/31 and this is the first solid review with pics I could find of Voyager out of NOLA. I have a few questions! Can you give some detail on the parking process at the Whale lot. Never heard of that lot and wondering exactly where it is. You indicated you left your luggage with RC personnel. Was the luggage drop off clearly marked with RC uniformed personnel?

Do you have any pics of the English themed bar on the Promenade? (Cant remember the name as I write this!)

Any pics of the Cafe Promenade menu?

How was the nightlife including late night activities?

My DD wants to know if they have chicken fingers anywhere onboard! Haha! She lives on those things!

Thanks so much again for taking the time to post! Much appreciated!

Great review, and wonderful pictures! We were on the departure right after yours, just returning yesterday. It was a fun, relaxing week.

Thanks for posting in such detail.

One other thought - I've seen several reviews that they had a 'Beatles Tribute' band - did you recall this? and did you like it?

Thanks for the great job

Thanks for the wonderful review and all the pics that you had posted!

I've never been on the Voyager, but that should change in a few months. :)

Great photos. thanks for sharing the review. Looks like you scored a table for two.:) Did you have anytime dining or did you have to make a change?

Thanks for taking the time to share!!!! We leave in a couple weeks and you have added to the fun of the anticipation!!! Lauri

Great review and great pics! We are sailing 3/31 and this is the first solid review with pics I could find of Voyager out of NOLA. I have a few questions! Can you give some detail on the parking process at the Whale lot. Never heard of that lot and wondering exactly where it is. You indicated you left your luggage with RC personnel. Was the luggage drop off clearly marked with RC uniformed personnel?

If you follow the signs to the cruise port you will see signs that indicate parking. Carnival parking is the Erato Street garage parking. RC is Julia Street -Whale lot. We had no clue how it was laid out and we just followed the signs no big deal. There were people directing traffic as well so you can always roll your window down and verify where you're going. As they say in Jamaica "no worries". As far as clearly marked for the luggage drop off, I would say NO. It's a Ryder truck and guys in the white shirts with name tags are standing in front of it. It's parked up near the fence toward the River Walk. Honestly, although it's not well marked it was not very intimidating. I felt totally comfortable with it and I"m usually a stressed out planner.

Do you have any pics of the English themed bar on the Promenade? (Cant remember the name as I write this!)

Pig & Whistle is probably what you are referring to and no I don't have pics as that place stayed quite crowded in the evenings. It's not very large for a bar in my opinion but it always seemed like a lively place.

Any pics of the Cafe Promenade menu?

There really isn't a menu for the Cafe. Basically, there are 4 stations. One has sandwiches there was always ham & chesse crossants and some type of pannini and then two that changed daily (sometimes 2x per day). I didn't see any of the changing ones repeat during the week so if you think you want to try it you better find somewhere to fit it in. Thus, why my clothes weren't fitting at the end of the week. There is a dessert area that usually has a fruit cup, some type of cake, pie, mousse, pudding, tiramisu. These also changed somewhat daily. A cookie station and pizza.

How was the nightlife including late night activities?

This is where I am really no help except the Compasses. We passed out each night after dinner. There were some nights we got back up for a late night snack but that was about it. There were shows each night, entertainment in the bars, but we didn't experience any of it.

My DD wants to know if they have chicken fingers anywhere onboard! Haha! She lives on those things!

I didn't see any, but that means nothing. Believe me she won't go hungry most kids we saw looked like they lived off ice cream for the week. I did peek at a kid's menu for the MDR one night and it looked like they had pretty extensive options. My only advice would be ask your waiter in the MDR they seemed more than happy to make sure you were accomodated.

Thanks so much again for taking the time to post! Much appreciated!

Hope this helps

One other thought - I've seen several reviews that they had a 'Beatles Tribute' band - did you recall this? and did you like it?

Thanks for the great job

I saw that too, but they were not on our sailing. Part of why we didn't make it to any shows is that none of them really appealed to us based on the description but we're not really show people. If the Beatles one had been there we probably would've checked that one out.

Great photos. thanks for sharing the review. Looks like you scored a table for two.:) Did you have anytime dining or did you have to make a change?

We had My Time Dining and I had requested a table for two online and set up our reservations at 6:15 each evening before we left. We verified this with the MDR on the first day. However, as I said after the first night we wanted to stick with Julio and Zoran so they asked us to change our reservation to 5:45 going forward. It's not fair to the servers to keep that table open waiting for a later reservation is what we were told and I totally understand that. One night we asked to push back to 8:30 and they told us we could try it but they couldn't guarantee our servers. When we arrived Julio had a table finishing up so we just waited no big deal.

We realized we like to dine together and then ease drop on the tables around us. We encountered some very interesting people but didn't actually have to talk to them. Some stories were very interesting and we looked forward to what we would hear the next night. This may be considered rude but it was entertainment for us.

Thanks for great review:D...we are on Voyager of the Seas in June...I too will be doing a review...can't wait espacially now after seeing your pictures:D

Thanks so much for an informative and practical post/review...l am glad you enjoyed the cruise....my only disappointment was to hear some of your clothes shrank!:eek:

You answered all the 'little' questions that Sales staff would never have been able to. The pictures are a pure bonus....especially the pics of the areas that could and do get busy with upto 3000 odd guests!

Thanks again...we are booking for 12/12, 14 nights Australia to New Zealand return.

Momo4, what a great job you have done here, monumental, you deserve a medal. We will be on this cruise in 11 days time (4th Feb) and I must say you have answered a lot of questions we had. Our first cruise was on the Navigator (06) and since we have been on 'smaller' ships (Empress, legend (2), Brilliance, Serenade and Granduer), so this is our taste back to the bigger class and we have(had) reservation about the size as we love the Serenade class and size. You have allayed most doubts and I am sure we will have a great time. I see some of our cc friends from our cruise thread have commented on here and I am sure all will agree what a great job you have done.

Thanks again

Graeme (UK)

Momof4, I sent you a "friend" request. I would like to ask you a question about one of your photos, off the public message area. (I assume we can do that if we are "friends"?)

Thanks! :)

Edited by GHarkness