nbean98

Back from the Radiance

We cruised the Radiance April 3-10 and had a blast! The ship is beautiful, the staff is friendly and helpful and the food was excellant. Embarktion was easy and didn't take anytime at all. We couldn't get to our rooms until 1p but that was ok because by the time you eat lunch and look around a bit your room is ready. Did not care for Miami airport. Too many people and the staff at the airport are not very helpful or friendly. Not many places to look around or eat if you have to wait for your flight.

Labadee Hati: Beaches were nice, the lunch the ship brought over was nice. The show the Hatian people put on was very nice. A lot of haggling in the straw market. Waverunners are fun if you have experience. My family did them but I opted out because I have not ridden one and you have to go full throtle. My family later told me I made the right decision because they went airborne a couple of times due to big waves. Heard from others that Hatian people surrounded their waverunners trying to sell goods to them.

Ocho Rios Jamacia: Awesome!! We took a private tour with a guide whose name was Rupert. He had on a yellow and blue uniform and had an offical tour guide badge. He took us to Spice Mountain, Fern Gully, and Shaw Park. He also took us up into the mountains and we got awesome pictures of the ship from there. He only charged $26 a person. Watch out for the drug pushers.

Grand Cayman: The island was awesome!! It went through a lot with the hurricaine. There is still a lot of damage. Shopping a little expensive, but not bad. We did the semisub and it was the best ever!! We got a lot of great pictures of different fish, coral, ship wrecks etc.

Cozumel: Water was awesome blues and greens. Shopping was the best here. Especially for jewlery at the Silver Imporium and Goodmark Jewlers. Senior Frogs is a good place to eat if you like loud music and if you like to drink ALOT!! The food was there was very good. Make sure you ask if they take credit or not before you purchase something. We were at a store that took credit but my son got a silver bracelet engraved and that guy only took cash. We ended up having to go 2 blocks to a ATM to try to get US money and ended up getting Peso which wasn't enough so we had to go back and get more. My husband forgot to get money from the ship before we left. So make sure you have plenty of cash on hand just in case.

Disembarktion: Very easy! No problems. Miami Everglades tour was a lot of fun. Try the aligator tail. Not too bad. Overall the trip was awesome!! Thank you Royal Caribbean for a fantastic vacation. We will definately be back!

Nancy.

Glad you and the family had a great time. Sorry I didn't get to meet you and your son. I heard he was awesome looking in his uniform. Debbie and I did get to meet Tom & Gayle, Laurie, Pat & Jon, Joan & Jim and Freckles & Lisa. On a few nights, Joan & Jim, and Tom & Gayle set in the Schooner Bar and drank and talked. Debbie & I took a tour with Pat & Jon to Dunns Falls and had lunch with them. Very nice people as were Tom & Gayle, Joan & Jim.

We also met Chris, with his little children. I only saw him in the hallway and on the balcony. Sorry I didn't get to talk to him more, he seemed like a very nice guy.

I kept trying to meet you but since we only ate in the dining room one night, didn't get the chance. We ate at Chops on two nights and the others we ate in the Windjammer. Hope you had a chance to try Chops, very nice.

Have you booked another cruise? Debbie and I have will be counting the days till the next one. I leave for Canada in June for my fishing trip and she is taking the kids on a cruise for 5 days. Then in August we are going to Costa Rica for a week or so, do some fishing and just relaxing. When we come back, we'll count the countdown till the next cruise.

Take care and maybe there will be another time and place to meet you. Give your son my best and tell him, I wish him well in his furture.

Hi Gary, Im sorry we didn't get to meet. I did meet Joan and her husband in the dinning room. I also met Marley and Laurie. We talked quite a bit at the meet and mingle but we didn't really see much of anyone after that. I think we were just all real busy doing our own thing. We would love to go on another cruise. I think my husband and I will go by our selves the next time. He is still in a little sticker shock from this cruise so I think it will be a year or two before I can talk him into another one. Keep in touch though and Im sure we will get together on another cruise in the near future.

I don't know what it was but I could not stay awake past 930p the entire cruise. I usually don't go to bed until 11-12 at home. I want to get to the Schooner and meet up with you guys but I just couldn't stay awake. Maybe it was the soothing motion of the ship or maybe just the fact that my staff wasn't able to page me or call and bother me :) Anyway, have fun on your next trip and safe travels.

nbean,

Thanks for the info... I'm sailing on the Radiance in October and can't wait! I'm doing the Hawaii sailing though.... Can you give any other pointers about the ship itself? Things not to miss? Did you hit the spa at all? Food, wine, etc?? Thanks....

Thank you so much for your input. My hubby and I can't wait until December. That is a looooooooong time. I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation. I do have a question...What type of room did you have? We are in a Superior (9094). How are the cabins and the bathrooms? Do the showers have the hand-held shower heads?

I was on the Radiance last year, and the self-leveling pool tables are a must-see. Even if you don't play, it's worth taking a look to marvel at the scientific structure. (The slate is balanced on a gyroscope with a pea-sized ball bearing in order to constantly maintain a parallel to level group.) Rumor was that during the trip across the Atlantic from the shipyard, a very seasick ship engineers slept on it!

Hey Nancy, Glad to know that I wasn't the only one on this cruise sleeping!!! By the pool, on the beach on the sofa and yes in he be. It was the best rest I've ever had!!! I keep waiting for someone to do all this laundry and make my bed and cook for me now that we're back to reality. And Windjamming, we shot pool,too. Those pool tables are great and fun to watch when they level themselves. Pat

Hi Nancy,

This is Sherri Shackleford---Bryce's mom! I was reading through different threads and came across this from you. I'm so glad you guys had a good time. I ask Bryce if he saw Lindsay and school and if she had a good time. He said she had alot fun and looked so cute...she was all tan and her hair was braided. We went on a Carnival cruise and had an absolute blast too! We had so many kids on our cruise and both my boys met so many new friends. We loved Cozumel too. We were there the day before you guys, and then the next day we were at Playa del Carmen and on our way out, we saw the Radiance docked in Coz. We have videos of it from across the ocean.....haha Wasn't the water beautiful!!! and I loved shopping in Coz...so much fun to talk them down. Bryce got a silver chain too. I'm with you..Grand Cayman was expensive but beautiful. Well...just wanted to say Hi....I'm glad you guys had a good time! :)

Hi Sherri and Pat. I felt so much better when we came back. It was almost like I was a new person. For those of you who want more information; the food was incredible! We had shrimp cocktail, lobster tails, prime rib, NY strip, lamb, ravioli, all kinds of awesome food. Don't miss the entertainment. It was all very well done. The Piano Man was our favorite. The comedians were also very good.

The spa was awesome!! I had the message and it was the absolute best one I have ever had. Cozumel is the best place in my opinion for shopping. Jamacia is ok for shopping. Latitudes had really good coffee. We liked to sit there by the coffee shop and look out the windows. Our room was a deluxe balcony. It was 8556. Loved the balcony the room was too small for four people. It would be fine for 2. The shower head was hand held if you wanted it too.

Sherri Im glad you guys had fun. Did you like Carnival and how does it compare to Royal Caribbean?

HI Nancy, I agree with you about the food, it was so good. We ate at Chops and Portifinos. Both were very good. What did you think of our singing Captain? Wasn't he the greatest? This was his farewell tour. He's retiring in a couple of weeks.

Pat

Sounds like Rccl was alot like Carnival. I heard our staterooms were a little larger, but the RCCL ship was newer. Its a good thing your not in the rooms very often because they are pretty small. We had two twin beds then a pull down bed from the wall. We had a window, but not a balcony. I bet the balcony was really nice!:) Our activites, food, shows were all great!! There was always something to do. The kids were always busy. They had several activities for them. They made tons of friends. There was one night that they had a dance and get together by the pizzera and Bryce didn't get back to the room until 3 a.m. Thank goodness for walkie talkies.

I think RCCL is probably a little more laid back and maybe not as wild as Carnival, but as for all the acitivties, it sounds about the same. This was our first cruise, so I don't really have anyhting to compare it too. I'm ready to go on another one though. I would love to again next spring break. Sounds like you guys all had such a thread going and meeting each other. That sounds like that would be fun. I didn't really know anyone before I went, however when we got there we were standing in the atrium and we heard this "BRYCE, what are you doing on this ship" ...we turned around and it was a kid from school and church that Bryce knew.....that was fun for him.

Sure is hard to get back to reality though!! I'm glad its the weekend, so I can sleep tomorrow....haha :D

Me too! Although Im going to Michigan City to see my grandparents and my aunt tomarrow and next weekend we go to Vincennes Univ. for Michael to visit his college and then the weekend after that is prom and then in 4 weeks after that Michael graduates. :) Im going to need another cruise just to realx from all of that.

Pat I loved captian Kent! He was truly amazing. Dennis and I are thinking about going on the Southern Caribbean cruise or the Hawaiian cruise next. Not sure which one yet but I think we are hooked.

Boy, no kidding....sounds like you are going to be really busy! Prom and graduation will be fun though.

I would love to take the Hawaii cruise too, but its so stinkin expensive. I did good to pay for this one...haha I'm really going to try hard to be able to book next spring breaks to the easter/southern caribbean though. The kids just loved it. I think I'm hooked on Cruise Critic's too....I love getting on these threads and see what other people are thinking/saying.

Have a great weekend:)

Sherri:

Debbie and I were on the cruise with Nancy and I see you both are talking about a cruise from Hawaii. We did the Hawaii to Tahiti cruise for 12 days and it was absolutely wonderful. The ship was the Dawn Princess, very nice, smaller than the Radiance but still nice. We visited ports of Morrea, Boro Boro and Christmas Island plus four islands in Hawaii. Flew home from Tahiti. The cruise itself wasn't that expensive, we added a lot of upgrades because it was longer and we wanted to do two extra days in Hawaii pre-cruise to adjust to the time change.

If you can pull it off, you won't regret it. Boro Boro alone is well worth the trip. The Pacific is much different sailing than the Caribbean.

Grl:

Wow...that sounds great. Actually I wasn't even thinking of taking off out of Hawaii, I was thinking we had to take off from California and cruise to Hawaii then cruise back to Cali. That would be great to just fly to Hawaii then take off. I'm sure there is so much more to see because you don't waste the sea days just cruising from Cal to Hawaii...you're already there. That sounds wonderful!! I would love to do that. I heard Pricess cruises were pretty nice too. I've only cruised Carnival, so I need to venture out and see what the other ships are like. My parents have cruised RCCL, Celebrity, & Norweign, but neither of us have been on princess.

Thanks for all the info.:)

Gary, How is the pacific different? Is the water rougher? I love Hawaii. We want to go back sometime. It's a long flight but well worth it. Well I will check back a little later. Lots to do today.

Nancy....I found it to be a little rougher at times....maybe it was just the time of year but ran into a couple on nice storms on the way down and the ship was rocking and rolling. Also it is much deeper, not that that makes a difference. At one point we were over water that was 17,000 + ft deep:eek:

Boro Boro is so pretty as well as Morrea. We pulled into Boro Boro and I was standing on the balcony and I turned and told Debbie..."If there is a heaven on earth, this has to be it." It just blew me away. The water and reefs surrounding the island are absolutely stunning. We took a tour around the entire island, which doesn't take long because it's not that big. If I can find the pictures I took, I'll post a few of them for you.

The flight from Tahiti to Cincinnati is loooooong. I think it was something like 12-13 hours. Way to long for me to be in a plane but I had no choice. I just drank 5 rum & cokes and passed out.....:D

Enjoy your day.....suppose to be 76 here in the valley. My grandson is playing ball today in Indiana so I have to get ready to shove off. About an hours drive from here.

Take care.

Hi Gary, I would love to see your pictures from Boro Boro. Maybe they will inspire Jon to take me on another cruise someday. :) We have talked about taking some shorter ones (long weekend types). Jon is playing golf today and I'm still doing laundry!!! Pat

We are cruising on the Radiance on October and flying out to Hawaii then spending 5 days touring the islands and then sail back to Ensenada... not too bad considering you only have 1 long flight out, and the time zones aren't so bad to adjust coming home.... just thought I would share... we're still looking for more to join on ours... but the radiance does this cruise every fall and the reverse in May.... good luck to you all....:)

I would love to see those pictures! Where is your son playing ball at? It is supposed to be 80 degrees here today but rain and in the 60s on Wed. We are getting ready for a visit to Vincennes Univ. this weekend for Michael. Next weekend both kids are going to prom and then in 5 weeks Michael graduates June 2 and Dennis June 3. So we will be a little busy for a while.

We will be married for 20 yrs in two years and may take our next cruise then. Our anniversery in May 16 and I think that would be a good time to go. That also gives me time to pay off this last cruise and save for the next one.

I asked Debbie to pull the pictures of Boro Boro from our albums and I'll post them in a seperate album and send you the link. I don't know how this sight is about eating up bandwith? She said she will try to do it one day this week. After she does, I'll have to scan them and then put them in the album.

My grandson played at the Ohio-Indiana border. Harrison Ohio to be exact. I thought we were in Indania.....:D

Sounds like you have a full schedule? Hope you get that cruise in two years. Have DH take you to paradise......;) Boro Boro.....it'll be a trip you'll cherish the rest of your life.

Take care Nancy...have a great evening.

Gary, I would love to see your pictures too. Thanks for the Hawaii advice...If i can ever swing it I would love to take that trip.

Nancy, A 20 year anniversary would be the greatest time to take that cruise....how fun would that be???!!! You are going to be busy until school is over. Both kids going to prom...that will be fun! Bryce said he talked with Lindsay about the cruise, but wanted to hear about Belize, because we didn't get to go there. I grew up in Mt. Carmel, Illinois....and my friends and I used to drive up to University of Indiana almost every weekend for baseball games. I love that school.

I've been looking up cruises for next spring break and can't decide which one I want. We want a newer ship this time, to compare the difference. I hope I can swing it again, but if not, it sure is fun looking everything up.

Sherri, We have been looking as well. Im not sure we can do it but we may try. It seems as though Carnival is a little cheeper but RCL is decent on price if you go with an inside cabin. We are kinda talking about that. The only thing is I want to into Tampa or Cape Canaveral this time. I didn't care for the Miami airport. People were just rude and it didn't have anything if you have to wait for a flight. The one place they had to get a bite to eat was horrible. Anyway I think if we did go next spring break that we may do the Southern Caribbean or Eastern Caribbean route.

RCL has a new ship called Freedom of the Seas. Im not sure she will be ready to sail by next spring break but I heard she is supposed to be very big and very nice.

We went to Ft. Lauderdale via Miami 2 spring breaks ago, and I was totally disappointed witht he airport there as well. It was awful! When we finally found out where we were going in the airport, we had had a car rented and they were very rude there as well. I've been looking at the Eastern Caribbean going out of Port Canaveral for next year. I figured we could get really good airfare to the Orlando airport...they always have good deals:) I'm trying to decide if I can swing it....if so I have to start saving now.

My parents are booked on the "Freedom RCCL" next November. It looks like a beautiful ship. I think the maiden voyage is set for June 4th or something like that. I read reviews about the princess ships too and they look so nice, but both of my kids want to do Carnival again...I think just because thats what we had this time and they had such a good time. I would kind of like to try the Explorer of the Seas...it looks huge! Do you suppose that means the lines are longer and you have to wait for alot of things. Our ship was big to us and it was only a medium sized one, but we never waited more than 4 people in line for anything. We may have been spoiled...haha! I'm having a terrible time though, I can't get focused on things here because all I can think about is Cruisin...I think I'm hooked!! :D

Gary, we're all looking forward to seeing your pictures of Boro Boro. Hope you enjoyed your grandson's ballgame. They enjoy having that support around them. Sheri and Nancy, I totally agree with you about the Miami Airport. It was the pitts. They could very well use some customer service training. My husband has been through there alot so he told me what to expect so we stayed in the main terminal and watched the masters golf and ate there. But it was a totally different environment after we passed through security. No good places to eat or sit. Very overcrowded. There was a lot of construction going on, so maybe someday it will get "some much needed improvement". Pat

I sure hope so.. Miami is such a beauitiful city! Sherri, I think you would still like a big ship. More to do on it Im sure. Maybe we will end up doing the same cruise for spring break. We will have to see what shape we are in later in the fall after we get Michael setted in at college.

Yes...I'm sure you're right. There will probably be tons of things to do that we didn't have on our first cruise. Did your kids meet lots of new friends on the cruise? Bryce and Ben met a ton of kids and I had to pry them away at times, just to do family things...haha Thats right, with Michael in college they will have different spring breaks next year. He may be on his own cruise or wild trip. :)

That is why we did this trip this year because we figured it was probably our last family trip together for awhile. The next summer he will be involved with the his Air Force ROTC stuff and the summer after that he will be at boot camp in the Air Force. They did meet some kids but so many of them were in groups from the get go and both my kids are kinda shy. Mike got to be friends with a lot of the crew in the bars and he did meet some girls from Indiana and an older gentle man that he would chat with everynight. Lindsay met a few guys from Chicago and Atlanta but she was mainly either with us or Michael until around 10p and by that time she came back to the room. On the last couple of nights she hooked up with some other kids her age and stayed out a little later. She still says she had a good time though. :)

Boy Michael has his plans already made and is on his way....thats awesome for him. You must be very excited and proud of him!

I look at Bryce and he already has a plan, but I'm sure it will change many times in the next 3 years. It's hard to believe I only have 3 more years with him until he's an adult....boy the time flies;) I think its great that you guys had such a good family vacation before things change. Michael and Lindsay seem pretty close, I'm sure she'll miss him next year. She will have a good time these next three years though.

Yeah, they are pretty close. I think Lindsay wants to do something with interior design, or fashion design, architecture, or photography. Something artsie. What dose Bryce want to do? Lindsay has mono and has been pretty sick this week. I guess it's been going around the school. I hope Bryce dosen't get it.

OH Yuk! I hope he doesn't get it either....thank goodness she didn't have it on vacation, that would have been a bummer. Bryce is into architecture and/or design engineering. He's artsie too. He really wants to play football for a good college, so he's trying really hard to talk to different schools already to find out who has the best architectural/engineering + football team. Its kind of funny to watch him in his quest. He wants something like Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State...etc. Part of me hates it because he will be far away, but the other part of me is glad he's so motivated and optimistic of what he can accomplish.

Tell Lindsay I hope she feels better!:)

Maybe it's to late for this thread, but thanks for the run down on the itinerary. We're on this ship and this itinerary in December. Wondering if anyone had any experience with the kids' program on board? What did you think? Did you take any young children (ages 1-6) on any shore excursions - which ones - how did that go? Any advice on registering for the kids' program - have heard of some instances where they have orientations, but if you're even one minute late you don't get in and then if the program fills up at that session you're out of luck. Anything you can offer on the prgram will be appreciated.