If you had minutes to evacuate what would you take?

The Costa tragedy has made me think if in an emergency if it was safe to return to my cabin, what would I grab (other than kids and husband). I would grab lifejacket, warm coat; sensible shoes and then glasses (I wear contacts); my wallet and then iphone (in that order)

I also have all my credit card and passport information scanned into an email that I send to myself prior; not sure that would help in that case.

if i was in or close to cabin,life jacket passport, credit card, warm clothes of some sort, possibly the phone and my stomach medicine ....that's IF i had time....(of course if i was traveling with someone, i would make sure they were with me...but i am not always traveling with anyone...)

if i was too far-i would take myself straight to the lifeboat

The Costa tragedy has made me think if in an emergency if it was safe to return to my cabin, what would I grab (other than kids and husband). I would grab lifejacket, warm coat; sensible shoes and then glasses (I wear contacts); my wallet and then iphone (in that order)

I also have all my credit card and passport information scanned into an email that I send to myself prior; not sure that would help in that case.

All of the above and I'd also take my medication and if I had time my 'good' jewelry. Passport, money, purse.

Warm clothes, of course.

This is all if we had enough time.

My husband and my children. That's it. Period. The end. Not the Chanel bag, not the jewelry, not the credit cards or money. There is not one thing on this Earth that I would spend the one second that might make the difference on trying to take with me. There is not one single thing that could not be replaced aside from them...

Medication, passport, credit card, cash. This assume I have time and am in the room. I could grab all these in under 30 seconds.

Cell phone or camera if time.

Please note that all of these would fit in my pockets. I would grab a jacket if in a cold climate. Exposure could become deadly quickly in some environments.

These answers assume a call to muster stations, not an immediately life threatening emergency.

This situation has forced us to think about these things. I too plan to have a "just in case" ziplock bag to grab that will include passport or copy, credit card, some cash, ID , medication and flashlight) I would grab the warm clothes and shoes, phone and Kindle if I had the time but I wouldn't waste time gathering and looking for things., I would think the amount of things would be limited on the life boats too. I think a small backpack would be a good thing to carry these things in.

Reading about the Florida couple on that Costa ship today, one thing struck me as good to know....

They mentioned abruptly ending dinner after all the "electrical" problems (per the staff) and heading to their cabin for some of the very things you folks are speaking of. If there was an electrical outage, would your seapass still open your cabin door?

I like the idea of a ziploc bag of emergency items (or even the lifejackets inside the cabin) to grab at a moment's notice. I just hope I can get to it :eek:

Pretty much the same as others but I would add a flashlight to the list.

For those with iphones; there is a free app called flashlight that works like an actual flashlight; more reason to grab my iphone in an emergency; I like the idea of having everything in a small ziplock bag.

People underestimate the importance of having a small flashlight while traveling. Many years ago while traveling in the Far East, I remember at least two times where the electricity went out and wished I had a flashlight

Ditto. I will be keeping all essential items in a quick grab bag for all future cruises.

I too am going to make a baggie for this stuff..and i will get a small flashlight to leave in the cruise suitcase..

Reading about the Florida couple on that Costa ship today, one thing struck me as good to know....

They mentioned abruptly ending dinner after all the "electrical" problems (per the staff) and heading to their cabin for some of the very things you folks are speaking of. If there was an electrical outage, would your seapass still open your cabin door?

I like the idea of a ziploc bag of emergency items (or even the lifejackets inside the cabin) to grab at a moment's notice. I just hope I can get to it :eek:

the seapass still functioning is an interesting question....not 100% sure if it would still work

We have been on 2 separate ships, and had blackouts. The first time we were 1/2 way across the pacific on RC Radiance on our way to Hawaii. The ship lost total power for over an hour. It was right after we finished dinner, and had gone back up to the Diamond event. Since we were there when the electric went out, we stayed put, as the emergency power kicked in and we had some lighting. We did not go back to our cabin, so not sure if the key access worked or not. I don't remember which other whip we were on, but we lost power once before, but it wasn't near as long. Maybe someone else can chime in about if the key access to your cabin will work if the ship loses power. :eek: :eek:

The most full bottle I have! Might have to barter along the way. Also, maybe my lucky inner tube if I am close to shore. Then make sure I use the bathroom before I dive off!

I'm sticking to warmer water cruises..so add water,beef jerkey, and sunscreen!

We always take our kids lifejackets from home to use on beach days so I would grab those for the kids, just in case. Other than this I can't think of anything. I figure if we have to "jump" for it the coats and comfy shoes mentioned won't be much use wet. I do like the idea of zip lock bags with money/credit cards and passports just in case we do get wet. Easy enough to keep on person at all times so no need to return to cabin to get them but will start keeping them in a waterproof pack. I haven't seen anyone mention putting a whistle into their emergency pack. I know going totally titanic here but you never know.

We have been on 2 separate ships, and had blackouts. The first time we were 1/2 way across the pacific on RC Radiance on our way to Hawaii. The ship lost total power for over an hour. It was right after we finished dinner, and had gone back up to the Diamond event. Since we were there when the electric went out, we stayed put, as the emergency power kicked in and we had some lighting. We did not go back to our cabin, so not sure if the key access worked or not. I don't remember which other whip we were on, but we lost power once before, but it wasn't near as long. Maybe someone else can chime in about if the key access to your cabin will work if the ship loses power. :eek: :eek:

We were on the same cruise (Hi Deb!). Yes, the seapass still opened the cabin door. The elevators are set to return to a particular floor (on the Radiance, it was deck 5) and open. There is lighting in the halls, but none in the cabin. However, DH turned on the laptop and used the monitor as a "night light." Interestingly, the cash registers still worked (I was in the Shop @ the time of the black-out, and was able to complete my purchase). :rolleyes:

By the time I returned to the cabin, DH was emptying the contents of the safe into ziplock bags. We gave him a bad time (it was a power failure, we didn't hit an iceberg). However, in retrospect, after this horrible tragedy, I owe him an apology and a big hug. Turns out that he was very smart.

Luckily, it WAS just a power failure (blown generator), and not a major disaster. However, after this event, I will never assume that it's "just" anything. I will be prepared.

I don't think that any of us thought something like this could happen in 2012 (100 years after Titanic). Now we know it can. I'll bet more people will pay attention during LifeBoat Drill. I also expect to see some changes to the Drill, which has become very lax in the last few years, IMHO.

Archived