Jewel of the Seas - trip journal with pictures

Great reveiw! Would you mind sharing how much a day pass to Sabor costs? I can't find any information about day passes on their website.

It costs $50 a person. We booked it through Island Marketing. Here is a link to the excursion: http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/AllInclusiveResort.htm

You pay $10 a person when you book and then pay the rest in cash at the resort when you check in. The taxi costs $15 each way.

Great review with awesome pics, I'm definitely jealous as I'm not sailing on her til "much" later. Are there any pics of menus for the MDR, bars, specialty dining, other packages (soda, juices):eek:?

The 4-day menus are listed in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1546145&highlight=jewel

There is a link to pictures of the 5-day Compasses and menus here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1530253&highlight=jewel

Try doing a search on menus and you'll probably find more on the specialty restaurants and drinks.

Enjoy the Jewel!

What a great, well illustrated review, thanks :) And lovely, technically very good photos (I particularly noticed the framing) - who's the photographer, or are you both equally talented? And may I ask what camera you were using?

Thank you. I really appreciate the compliment. I'm the photographer, unless I'm pestering Ron to take a picture of me so I'll be in some of the shots. :)

I'm using an Olympus Stylus Tough. It's a waterproof camera so it's great for trips. I can take it to the beach, in the pool or wherever. It does really well outdoors but not as well indoors (not enough flash) and it's kind of slow. I'm actually looking for another camera so I'd love suggestions!

I took my new Panasonic DMC-TZ20 compact digital camera (with 16x zoom) on its first cruise in December - you can see some of the results in my review here, http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1538675

I think a lot of compacts struggle in low light, but I managed a few nice shots in the theatre, for example. And I didn't spend as much time on RTFM as I promised myself I would on our sea days, so never quite fully got to grips with all the modes and settings :)

I figured you might be the photographer from the shot of you at dinner...I mean it's lovely, of course, but lacks a quality some of the others have!! LOVE the shot of the shoes.

I took my new Panasonic DMC-TZ20 compact digital camera (with 16x zoom) on its first cruise in December - you can see some of the results in my review here, http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1538675

I think a lot of compacts struggle in low light, but I managed a few nice shots in the theatre, for example. And I didn't spend as much time on RTFM as I promised myself I would on our sea days, so never quite fully got to grips with all the modes and settings :)

I figured you might be the photographer from the shot of you at dinner...I mean it's lovely, of course, but lacks a quality some of the others have!! LOVE the shot of the shoes.

Ha ha, I was just being silly with the shoe picture. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I've never been to Tortola - the caves look amazing. I think the Black Forest cake on our cruise was much prettier than yours. :)

I'll check out the Panasonic. It would be nice to have a camera with some decent zoom.

I enjoyed your review! Question about the "shot of the day" in the MDR. Do they do that on all RC ships? Your review is the first I've ever read about it.

From what I've read, it's hit or miss. We didn't see them on Monarch and they weren't really advertising them on Jewel either. We just happened to see the barwaiter go by with a tray of them. If you don't see them, just ask your waiter.

Edited by CruisinCrow

Thanks for the review!! We have never sailed Jewel, but many other RCL ships. We are really looking forward to it. Can you tell me the earliest time we could walk off in the morning? I am trying to decide on flights.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the review!! We have never sailed Jewel, but many other RCL ships. We are really looking forward to it. Can you tell me the earliest time we could walk off in the morning? I am trying to decide on flights.

Thanks!!

According to the departure paper we got "The first number will be called off the ship at approximately 8:30 am". We were in group 7 and got off the ship about 9.

I'm not sure when you're cruising but sometimes ships into Tampa get delayed by fog, particularly in the spring. Make sure you leave some leeway.

Have a great cruise!

• 11 months later...

Thanks for posting such a great review! We're sailing on Jewel in September and can't wait. We were on Serenade, her sister ship to Hawaii several years back and that was a beautiful ship, so now we can't wait to try Jewel. I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Your pictures are amazing! :) They've really gotten me excited for our cruise and it's still a ways a way :(. I hope the months go quickly until September.

As the thread is resurrected .. regarding the cabin, I saw the bed was against the wall so you could access the window easily. We were on Jewel last October, also on deck 3 and ours had the head of the bed against the window which also delivered a bit of a draft at times. Anyone know if this is a function of cabin category or just random ? We were in 3608, category "H".

As the thread is resurrected .. regarding the cabin, I saw the bed was against the wall so you could access the window easily. We were on Jewel last October, also on deck 3 and ours had the head of the bed against the window which also delivered a bit of a draft at times. Anyone know if this is a function of cabin category or just random ? We were in 3608, category "H".

Interesting question. Ours was a category G and if you look at the deck plans, the G's and H's are mixed together on the same deck with the same description. Maybe the different categories are oriented differently. Or maybe it was because ours was a connecting cabin.

I liked the bed being away from the window because you could look out without having to crawl over the bed.

Great review! We were on this cruise between Christmas and New Years and loved it, too. There is something special about the Jewel.

Did I see that picture of the after-dinner shot correctly? It looks huge! I thought it used to be tiny shot-glassed sized drinks. Is it really a shot or more of a drink?

Did I see that picture of the after-dinner shot correctly? It looks huge! I thought it used to be tiny shot-glassed sized drinks. Is it really a shot or more of a drink?

I had to check it - it is exactly one shot. Maybe it looks bigger because of the base on the glass.