Cruise Critic Community
Silvery Seas Cruiser

Waht Is the Latest News on the Sunshine Class Ships?

Info from the Captain on Jewel last week. Larger than Voyager but smaller than Freedom.

I believe he said launch sometime in 2014.

Best estimate for debut of the first Project Sunshine ship is the fall of 2014. Not sure when details about these ships will begin to slip out, but RCI has a history of managing the release of information about their new ships so as to build interest and excitement. In the meantime there are several threads where posters are indicating what sorts of innovative ideas they would like to see incorporated into this new class of ship.

Info from the Captain on Jewel last week. Larger than Voyager but smaller than Freedom.

We heard "more like Freedom than Oasis class" from the 1st officer on the Jewel at the beginning of the month. He also said they're figuring out that some things on the bigger ships "just don't work" and are trying to go back to a more traditional design of beautiful ships (as he was bragging about how beautiful the Jewel is). Wish I could have pestered him more about that line....wondering if it meant the Central Park/Boardwalk view rooms or excessive features like the carousel....or the Aqua Theater....don't know...

Late 2014 and slightly larger than Freedom with 400 more cabins than Freedom. Does this mean that the Promenade will be smaller in volume to accommodate the increased space needed for cabins? We will just have to wait and see. ;)

Edited by Scotty G

I was told by our waiter Its similar in design to the Solstice class of Celebrity ships, size wise the same, lots and lots of glass hence the name "sunshine" apparently you will have a view outside from most areas of the ship including I heard a Royal Promenade area with views outside. Not sure how much of its true, of course its rumours. But in theory it sounds great Seems sort of like a combo of Radiance Class and Voyager clas

The captain on our Freedom cruise said something about closeable skylights on top, suitable for cruising in colder climates. Hence the name Sunshine. (His words, not ours.)

Still too big for me.........I was hoping they'd be similar to the Jewel........:(

Took about 1 and half years for Freedom of the Seas to be built.

Name:

Freedom of the Seas

Owner:

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.[1]

Operator:

Royal Caribbean International

Port of registry:

Bahamas

Ordered:

September 2003

Builder:

STX Europe shipyards in Turku, Finland

Cost:

US $~800,000,000 (~550m Euro or GB£500m)

Laid down:

November 9, 2004

Christened:

May 12, 2006 at Bayonne, NJ

on New York Harbor by Katherine Louise Calder[2]

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

There are a few things from Oasis that I would love to see on Sunshine, mainly the Solarium. It is so bright and the views are amazing. I can sit there for hours staring at the ocean. I also like the way people are distributed on Oasis/Allure. Allure felt much less crowded than Freedom/Voyager.

I really miss the traditional promenade deck on Oasis/Allure, I would love to see it return on Sunshine. I think it is really cool to be so close to the ocean.

Boardwalk doesn't do much for me, but I love the aqua theater.

A Royal Promenade with outside views would be wonderful. I can image sitting at Cafe Promenade or Starbucks enjoying my Americano looking out over the ocean.

Per ship's staff on the Independence December 2011 cruise:

Similar size to Freedom class.

Less open deck space and more interior or wind protected space.

Larger Windjammer to accomodate British and European dining preferences of buffet style dining.

A few more cabins than Freedom class.

Target date for sailing is 2014 season.

At the returning C&A members meeting on Indy's 10/1/12 cruise the loyalty ambassador said that the current plan is for the second of the two ships to go to Southampton.

Also they are hoping for significant energy saving improvements from these ships.

At the returning C&A members meeting on Indy's 10/1/12 cruise the loyalty ambassador said that the current plan is for the second of the two ships to go to Southampton.

Where's the first one going?

Where's the first one going?

They did not say... but I suspect it would be across the atlantic as it's an American company - they usually put the first ship of a class over there initially.

I was told by our waiter Its similar in design to the Solstice class of Celebrity ships,

One of the things I heard, and I don't remember for sure, was that it was being built by the same shipyard that built those ships. Germany? I sure liked watching photos from the build, hope that happens again.

The ships are being built in Germany at the Meyer/Werft Shipyard. Bigger than Freedom but smaller than Oasis. First ship to go into service in 2014. There are a lot of us who have gotten the inside information from our waiters, cabin stewards, and bartenders, but so far none of them have even been close to correct on any topics from the rumor mill.

I highly doubt anyone outside of RCI's or Mayer Werft's upper management knows anything about the Sunshine Project other than:

- general size

- general passenger capacity

- shipyard being built at

In his December 27th post Adam Goldstein wrote:

"Our behind the scenes work on our Project Sunshine ship will continue. We will continue to be excited about the project. Interested people will continue to be frustrated at the lack of details we provide about the project as we simply cannot begin to divulge ship features until we begin the marketing cycle for Sunshine which is still more than a year from now. With the ship still three years away from service, our competitors would have time to preempt our advances if they knew what we were going to do."

With that in mind I'm sure that they are aware of how chatty EVERYBODY working on a ship can be and I'm sure that nobody working on a ship knows anything more than the general specs. :rolleyes:

. . . There are a lot of us who have gotten the inside information from our waiters, cabin stewards, and bartenders, . . .

Do we really think waiters, cabin attendants and bartenders have "inside" information?

Do we really think waiters, cabin attendants and bartenders have "inside" information?

If you believe much of what you read here, you would have to think that they spend all of their time between contracts prowling the hallways of the RCI Executive Offices, picking up these tidbits of priceless inside information. Now if we could just get the inside dope from Richard Fain's barber, we'd be golden.:D

RCI (and larger RCCL) CC monitors must be having a riot readig all the speculation and rumors.... but most of all the high level if interest.

Not sure what 2014 "season" is but just to make any sailing in 2014 they would have to lay down keel by July 2013 - still a fair ways off so LOTS of time for ongoing design.

But wasn't one of the newer ships (Oasis?) finished up late in the season when it was cold in Finland (actually extra cold winter) and had to have much of the painting and finishing work done as a rush. Could be same for Germany so if they learned anything I would speculate they would want it sailing away no later than September. So figure keel laying (on 18 month build schedule) by a year from this March at the latest. Meyer-Werft web site has several good web cams but it would be a good bet RCI would make sure they show nothing of the new ship.

The concept of promenade skylight would be interesting. As would doing something like the glass elevator wall, as on Radiance class, but on both sides (sorry hump fans) to have a through-and-through view from a centrum - probably at center of Royal Promenade.

We heard "more like Freedom than Oasis class" from the 1st officer on the Jewel at the beginning of the month. He also said they're figuring out that some things on the bigger ships "just don't work" and are trying to go back to a more traditional design of beautiful ships quote]

Love the sound of that!!