megr1125

Explorer delayed arrival

Just got this via Facebook!

Delay – Explorer of the Seas

January 25, 2012

11:00 a.m. E.S.T

Explorer of the Seas' arrival to Cape Liberty has been unexpectedly delayed due to a medical emergency, and will now arrive in Bayonne, New Jersey, on Saturday, January 28, one day later than originally scheduled.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Explorer of the Season Friday, January 27 not arrive at the port until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28. We kindly ask that guests come to the terminal between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28 for check-in and boarding.

Regrettably, the delayed arrival is expected to have an impact on the scheduled itinerary. Additional information on the revised itinerary will be provided on Saturday at embarkation.

Anybody have any insights, sounds serious???

Edited by Verfai

i just posted that too....wonder if anyone on the roll call knows?

JMHO but to be over 24 hours late....must have been serious.....

Edited by megr1125

Facebook is only getting unrelated replies :s

Mine says medical emergency

I would think at least one person onboard would have a mobile facebook or other…We will know soon probably. Lets hope all is well.........

Edited by Verfai

Wow! can you imagine those on board that have flights out on Friday? Somehow, I doubt having an extra day isnt so appealing to them right now! :eek:

And the people that have the next cruise booked will be shortened by a day. What does RCI usually do in this case?

Just received on twitter...medical emergency , are they at a port still? 24 hours late would sound like something serious?

Can't find them on any ship spotting sites...

EmpressOfPurple is on board..maybe she will post later....they should have been on their way back...so possibly they diverted...

hopefully everything works out for the people involved....

I'm on this sailing and something in my mind told me to check out my reservation one more time. I'm glad I did and I saw the notice and posted it in my Roll Call.

I just extended my hotel stay as I'm flying out tomorrow.

I'm crossing my fingers that they skip Labadee and still come back the same day as I can't afford to change my flight as well.

Hope the person is okay though.

Wow! can you imagine those on board that have flights out on Friday? Somehow, I doubt having an extra day isnt so appealing to them right now! :eek:

And the people that have the next cruise booked will be shortened by a day. What does RCI usually do in this case?

Unrelated---but my last cruise ended up being a 9 day cruise. Another hurricane came through and we had to go south. Not as fun as it sounds. Carnival gave each person 10 free phone minutes to call and arrange different transportation. As for the cruise after us, I'm not sure what they were given.

I hope everything will be OK for the person/people who need treatment.

this will likely not affect the following sailing on 2/6, right? thats the one i'm on!!!

I dont see how it would. The next cruise is a 10 night cruise which will likely now be a 9 night cruise putting EOS back on regular schedule for your sailing :)

My thoughts are with the person and their family if its a medical emergency

Edited by ryano

this will likely not affect the following sailing on 2/6, right? thats the one i'm on!!!

im hoping it doesnt delay all the following sailings!

Never heard of a medical emergency making it 24 hours late. We had a crew jump over and spent the night going back and forth looking for him.:( Ended up 8 hours late getting back. RCI paid for the change fees for our flights and they gave OBC to the people that had to wait to board. I don't remember how much though.

Naturally I am terribly sorry for the medical emergency but I wonder how RCCL will take responsibility for re-booking people's flights and other arrangements in this type of situation.

Wonder what happened.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Naturally I am terribly sorry for the medical emergency but I wonder how RCCL will take responsibility for re-booking people's flights and other arrangements in this type of situation.

Wonder what happened.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

They will probably shorten the cruise by 1 night and arrive back at the port as scheduled. However, some people will have to find overnight accommodations for Friday night so that's going to be the issue.

They will probably shorten the cruise by 1 night and arrive back at the port as scheduled. However, some people will have to find overnight accommodations for Friday night so that's going to be the issue.

I wish the person a quick recovery and certainly am sorry to hear of this.

I was reading my insurance contract after the costa situation and my travel insurance does cover travel delays, so hopefully those affected by this also have insurance. I know I would be livid if it was me- We are already flying in for our cruise a day early, so now those flying in will have added hotel costs, meals, etc.

I would also hope that those with a shortened cruise will have their cruise fares prorated to reflect the shortened days. I would assume just divide the cost by the number of nights and then credit back that amount. if they miss a port they are also entitled to a refund of port costs. when our ship missed a port due to weather we all received a refund for the port costs

Edited by sr5242

Cruise is arriving back in port 1 day late - next cruise will be shortened by 1 day to get back on schedule.

Royal Caribbean will pay for the flight changes, as they did for us when we were delayed coming back (albeit only 8 hours). They gave some OBC to the next cruisers, but I don't know how much.

with all their previous bad publicity i would venture a guess that RCI will be proactive in assisting guests....for this cruise and the next one.....however, technically they don't have to do anything.......(except port charge refunds....) If people booked air through Royal, then those pax will get assistance in rebooking....

BUT it is still early-that info wasn't posted too long ago, so I would think that Miami needs to get it together ..

Perhaps EmpressOfPurple will have some info for us in her blog as she's on the cruise......

Edited by megr1125

Very sad for the people directly involved in the emergency.

From the roll call where they are aware :

Delay – Explorer of the Seas

January 25, 2012

11:00 a.m. E.S.T

Explorer of the Seas' arrival to Cape Liberty has been unexpectedly delayed due to a medical emergency, and will now arrive in Bayonne, New Jersey, on Saturday, January 28, one day later than originally scheduled.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Explorer of the Season Friday, January 27 not arrive at the port until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28. We kindly ask that guests come to the terminal between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28 for check-in and boarding.

Regrettably, the delayed arrival is expected to have an impact on the scheduled itinerary. Additional information on the revised itinerary will be provided on Saturday at embarkation.

I'm on the next sailing.

I just got my automated message from RCI about the delay. I just also extended my hotel stay by one night as I'm flying out tomorrow.

I really hope the person is okay. I'm glad to hear that they will probably cut down the cruise and come back the same day as I don't wish to exchange my flight.

Of course, the one cruise I don't get insurance, this happens. Ah well, I'm still on vacation, so I'm enjoying it!

Could they have turned and headed to a closer port to off load the medical emergency ..

Anybody report from on board?

Could they have turned and headed to a closer port to off load the medical emergency ..

Anybody report from on board?

I'm curious as to why the delay is 24 hours. A few years ago I was on a cruise that had a medical emergency. They did as you said, headed closer to shore. Once they were closer, the young man was tendered to shore where he was transported to the closest major city. We were delayed by 2 or 3 hours returning but definitely not 24 hours!

Edited by CarefreeCruising

I am guessing that since they're going to be 24+ hours late that they're diverting to another port....perhaps STT or SJU? just a guess

there IS a CCer onboard..EmpressOfPurple so perhaps she will post.....she's been doing a nice detailed blog......

The original schedule was :Monday Jan 23 St.Kitts and 24/25/26 @ sea and 27 Bayonne. So looks like they had to go back to one of the islands (my guess Puerto Rico) because if she had diverted to Bermuda, she could have make it on Friday with some delay.

Wonder what happened.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

A few years ago on Princess, we could not get into port because of a hurricane. Spent two extra nights onboard. ;) Princess assisted only those that had booked flights through them. We did not, but had no trouble changing our flights at no extra cost . The FLL airport had been damaged and closed, also. Princess did give everyone onboard free phone calls and internet service. Boy, was there ever a line! Anyway, we used the phone calls to get in touch with my brother, who kindly arranged our flight plans.

We are on the next sailing and have not gotten any information except that there is a medical emergency. Hopefully all is well. I have been on many cruises where they have airlifted people off or turned back to a port. Never has it delayed the ship over 24 hours. I am pretty sure our cruise will be the one shorten and not any other cruises. Too expensive to change more then one. Just got a call from my TA Royal hadn't even called them to advise. They found out from the Royal Web site. OMG

Due to a medial issue on the current cruise, the Explorer will not hit Newark port unti 1/28 - delaying the 1/27 10 night Eastern Carribean cruse.

Called RCL and not details on what is happening yet. :(

Edited by KTrentLR

I was on the Serenade last fall when our arrival back in San Juan was threatened by Tropcial Storm Maria. We were given free internet access to try to make changes to our return reservations. If the scene onboard the Explorer is anything like the one on the Serenade, the passengers are having a hard time finding an open terminal - even though extras have probably been set up. I was lucky to have CL access where the wait was much shorter. However, I don't think all the CLs have internet access, do they?

I'd be upset if it was my cruise as well, but hopefully the person is alright. At least you still have 10 days! I'm sure there will be some compensation. Enjoy your cruise

You posted a mad smiley face. Are you angry about the change? I can understand being disappointed, but you should know that a medical delay is not something they can control. They would never do something like this unless they had no choice. Obviously, someone's life is at stake here, so a little compassion would not be out of order.

Years ago an NCL ship arrived a day late due to a mechanical issue (hit an abandoned fishing net in Boston the prior day). NCL put the out of town guests up in Hilton (where we'd stayed pre cruise anyway) or Sheraton, gave us meal vouchers for the hotel restaurants, set up help desk in the hotels, provided transfers to the port for the delayed embarkation, refunded 1/11 of the fare (11 night cruise) and gave everybody a small OBC. I was impressed at how hard they tried to keep everybody as happy and safe as possible. that was 2003- I have not forgotten. Good will matters. I hope in the end, Royal Caribbean can also manage to make a favorable impression on those sailing Explorer.