Boston Hotel Recommendations

herdingdogmom

We are sailing on the NCL Dawn out of Boston on Oct. 5th and will be in Boston two nights prior. We need help finding a hotel. 4 star is preferred and in the downtown area unless the port area isn't far away. My TA suggested The Lenox, Omni Parker House, Hotel Commonwealth and NCL uses Renaissance Boston Waterfront.

Thanks for any ideas.

The Lenox and the Omni Parker House are truly downtown. The Hotel Commonwealth is near Fenway Park, which is in Boston but is a bit farther from the tourist sites. I'd opt for the Parker House where you are close to the North End (Italian district and Paul Revere and Old North Church), Park St Church, State House, the Common, or The Lenox which is closer to the Prudential, Boston Public Library, Trinity Church, Museum of Fine Arts. I don't know much about the waterfront hotels. Boston isn't that large and you can easily walk to the sites or take the T (the subway) which is safe and easy to use.

To get to the Black Falcon Terminal I'd take a taxi.

How much are you willing to spend on a hotel? What prices are you seeing for these hotels?

TA quoted $288 for Parker House and $311 for Lenox and $398 for Commonwealth. I'd like to pay around $300 a night for Oct. 3, 4th. Any other hotel suggestions?

The Lenox and the Omni Parker House are truly downtown. The Hotel Commonwealth is near Fenway Park, which is in Boston but is a bit farther from the tourist sites. I'd opt for the Parker House where you are close to the North End (Italian district and Paul Revere and Old North Church), Park St Church, State House, the Common, or The Lenox which is closer to the Prudential, Boston Public Library, Trinity Church, Museum of Fine Arts. I don't know much about the waterfront hotels. Boston isn't that large and you can easily walk to the sites or take the T (the subway) which is safe and easy to use.

To get to the Black Falcon Terminal I'd take a taxi.

Thanks for your detailed description - exactly the help I am looking for!

My children went to college in Boston so I have spent a lot of time there in Hotels . Use Priceline or Hotwire . I have never paid more than $150 to stay in Boston ( Sheraton, Hilton ,Park Plaza Etc. ) . The best area to stay in is Back Bay /Copley Square . It is convenient to everything . Make sure to do the Hop on hop off trolley .

I agree with the recommendation to stay in Back Bay. We always stay in Back Bay by Copley. There is a Marriott, Westin and Sheraton right there along with other good hotels.

The location is very close to the T, a quick walk to shops and restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

We wanted to stay at the Mariott Waterfront (at Long Wharf). However, we opted for priceline and won a hotel near the ship the first night (Seaport). The hotel was really nice. No tipping was allowed even though we tried to. There wasn't much around, but we were okay with it since we just wanted to sleep and get up the next day and go to the ship. We did tour the children's museum nearby before going to the ship.

Then for the end of the cruise, we bid on Priceline and got a 4 star at the airport (Hilton). It was really nice too. I think we might have paid 80 or 85 for it. The Hilton and Hyatt are pretty close to each other. The Hilton has a free shuttle ride over to the Hyatt where there is a water taxi stand.

We took a water taxi across Boston Harbor to Long Wharf. That lets you out right by the Aquarium, Legal Seafood restaurant, and at the stop #1 of the Old Town Trolley. Also across the street and under the glass canopy you can walk to Quincy Market/Faneiul Hall.

So after our water taxi, we had lunch at the Legal Seafood and walked around the corner to the Old Town Trolleys. I had purchased our tickets online from home. We did the hop on hop off trolley all afternoon. Then had dinner at a mexican restaurant near Quincy Market and then took the water taxi back to the Hyatt and we called the free Hilton shuttle to pick us back up.

For us, it worked and we saved a lot by not staying downtown.

We're going again this fall. I think we may stay at the airport area again. We may ride the T down to Quincy and tour Peacefield (homestead of John Adams).

• 3 weeks later...

There are two distinct sections of the city great for tourists.

Copley and North End/Quincy Market Omni Parker House area.

Both are fun and interesting with lots to do for visitors.

Boston is not that big a city and a quick taxi or MBTA ((transit system) ride gets you from one area to the other.

Either is a good choice IMO

• 2 months later...

My favorite is the Marriott at Long Wharf. Close to so much. Faneuil Hall; Quincy Marketplace; The North End; The Aquarium and IMAX theater.

From your room you'll have views from either the city lights of the financial district, or the harbor, or a bit of both.

I have been to Boston numerous times . I would do Priceline or Hot Wire for the Back Bay area . Check out Bidding for travel.com it will tell you what hotels you may get . I have never won a hotel in Boston that was not a great hotel . Last time we went we were in the Sheraton for under $160 .

• 2 weeks later...

We usually stay in the Back Bay area...had always done Sheraton or Hilton but recently tried The Back Bay Hotel. It's in an historic building (old police headquarters) and is very nice. Location is great...within walking distance to so much...theater district, shopping, Fenway (but not the sea port). Closer to the sea port, we've enjoyed The Onyx. It's an easy walk to the North End (great Italian food) or to Quincy Market. As others have said though, Boston is an easy city to get around. Taxi rides are reasonable and the T (subway) gets you pretty much everywhere you'd want to go.

We're staying at the Omni Parker House for this trip.

I've stayed previously at the Mariott Back Back/Copley area, and although it was a fine hotel, there's no way I'd consider it right in the heart of things. Close? Somewhat, if you're willing to take the L trains, yes. But if you really want to be in the thickof everything, try to stay somewhere closer to the Public Garden or Quincy Market. The one thing I will definitely say about the Mariott: it has SLOOOOOW elevators (and not enough of them), and is very frequently used for conferences and caters to Business travellers.

I'm from Boston, and I have to say, there are numerous great hotels. All of the suggestions on this thread have merit. For myself, I prefer the waterfront hotels: most specifically the Boston Harbor Hotel, the Intercontinental Hotel and the Fairmont BatteryWharf. The Seaport Hotel/Renaissance and Westin are all in the Seaport District: near some really good seafood restaurants, so if you are just coming in for one night, and want to have a nice dinner and be very close to the pier, I would consider one of these....

Ultimately, a lot depends on what you plan on doing when you are here and what your budget is.....

Whatever you decide to do, have fun, and bring good shoes!! It is a glorious walking city~~~~

I'm from Boston, and I have to say, there are numerous great hotels. All of the suggestions on this thread have merit. For myself, I prefer the waterfront hotels: most specifically the Boston Harbor Hotel, the Intercontinental Hotel and the Fairmont BatteryWharf. The Seaport Hotel/Renaissance and Westin are all in the Seaport District: near some really good seafood restaurants, so if you are just coming in for one night, and want to have a nice dinner and be very close to the pier, I would consider one of these....

Ultimately, a lot depends on what you plan on doing when you are here and what your budget is.....

Whatever you decide to do, have fun, and bring good shoes!! It is a glorious walking city~~~~

I agree with Wendy. I work in Boston in the financial district.Back Bay is a fun place to stay if you want to browse the shops, boutiques and museums; if you are more interested in the historic side, stay by the waterfront. The Boston Harbor Hotel is excellent, but can be very expensive, especially in the Fall. The Intercontinental is only a few years old and very nice and modern. There is also a Hilton Financial District on Broad Street but it is just a business hotel and nothing special. The Langham is very nice and across from Post Office Square; the overall building is really quite nice, but the rooms can be a bit small. There is also the Marriott Longwharf and Marriott Custom House.

My only word of caution with the Parker House is that the rooms can be quite small.

Overall, Boston is pretty small. You can walk from Back Bay to the Boston Harbor Hotel downtown is about 25 minutes or less.

I would book sooner than later because Boston is exceptionally busy in the Fall because of Parent's weekends at schools, conferences, conventions and "leaf peepers." October is exceptionally busy!

I agree with Wendy. I work in Boston in the financial district.Back Bay is a fun place to stay if you want to browse the shops, boutiques and museums; if you are more interested in the historic side, stay by the waterfront. The Boston Harbor Hotel is excellent, but can be very expensive, especially in the Fall. The Intercontinental is only a few years old and very nice and modern. There is also a Hilton Financial District on Broad Street but it is just a business hotel and nothing special. The Langham is very nice and across from Post Office Square; the overall building is really quite nice, but the rooms can be a bit small. There is also the Marriott Longwharf and Marriott Custom House.

My only word of caution with the Parker House is that the rooms can be quite small.

Overall, Boston is pretty small. You can walk from Back Bay to the Boston Harbor Hotel downtown is about 25 minutes or less.

I would book sooner than later because Boston is exceptionally busy in the Fall because of Parent's weekends at schools, conferences, conventions and "leaf peepers." October is exceptionally busy!

Totally totally totally agree~~~

I few additions (addendums?).....it is the standard rooms at the Parker House that tend to be very small...if you get better accommodations, then the rooms are bigger, but it is nothing special. The Langham used to be the Federal Reserve Bank...Again, the standard rooms are on the smallish side, but the decor in the rooms itself is quite lovely. They have a chocolate buffet on Saturdays.....

Love the rooms at the Intercontinental...floor to ceiling glass on the water side.....I think it is the deluxe category ...you need to ask...

Archived