Fremantle Taking Wine on Sun Princess

h & m

We are leaving Fremantle on the Sun Princess in April. Our previous cruises were on the Diamond and Sapphire, and we had no problems taking on a case of wine in Sydney.

Anyone have experience with boarding in Fremantle with wine - I had read some reports that the Aussie based Princess ships are more tough enforcing their 2 bottle policy. We would like to bring on 6 bottles if possible.

Cheers

Hilary :)

We are leaving Fremantle on the Sun Princess in April. Our previous cruises were on the Diamond and Sapphire, and we had no problems taking on a case of wine in Sydney.

Anyone have experience with boarding in Fremantle with wine - I had read some reports that the Aussie based Princess ships are more tough enforcing their 2 bottle policy. We would like to bring on 6 bottles if possible.

Cheers

We've never had a problem sailing on Princess from Freo. We normally put wine boxes in our suitcases and carry on a couple of bottles. Of course it depends on how long the cruise is as too how many of those we take ;):D

We are currently on the Dawn and they are policing the wine very strictly:mad:

We put 2 bottles in our checked cases and they went through fine, however they do document the wine and you are allowed 2 bottles only, 1 per person.

My suggestion is that you put a couple of 2 litre wine casks into your checked luggage as they get through the scanners if you take them out of the packaging.

It does seem to be so wrong that they change their rules in Aus and treat us differently as we have never had a problem anywhere else in the world on Princess Ships.

Thanks for both your replies. Off to investigate wine casks now, I have seen some 1 litre casks that are more like fruit juice packages, they may be the answer.

A joke we heard on Royal Caribbean may be appropriate for Princess Australia.

Q Why would anyone put a ship into a bottle ?

A Because it's impossible to get a bottle into a ship !

Cheers

Hilary

When we were on the Sun Princess late last year there was no problem taking wine on board, whether it was bottles or casks. I think it is only on the Dawn Princess that restrictions have been mentioned, and I believe it is probably enforced by one particular staff member (maybe the hotel director).:)

Sandy is going on the Sun Princess on 16th February and she will be able to report what the current policy is on the Sun Princess. I feel that is more relevant that the particular port the cruise leaves from because any rules regarding taking wine on board are totally up to the staff on the ship, not at the port.

We are currently on the Dawn and they are policing the wine very strictly:mad:

We put 2 bottles in our checked cases and they went through fine, however they do document the wine and you are allowed 2 bottles only, 1 per person.

My suggestion is that you put a couple of 2 litre wine casks into your checked luggage as they get through the scanners if you take them out of the packaging.

It does seem to be so wrong that they change their rules in Aus and treat us differently as we have never had a problem anywhere else in the world on Princess Ships.

Exactly Lizzy, Were were recently on the 'American' Princess Ships, Coral and Ruby, 95% of the pax were Americans, passengers were wheeling on cases of wine, plus spirits, plus beer, no problems at all. I generally bring on a few bottles of wine or couple of wine casks, but in Barcelona I wanted to bring on a couple of bottles of Spanish Brandy, which I like, very nice for 10 Euro a Litre bottle !. I asked the Senior Security Officer at the Gangway if it was OK to bring on brandy. 'No problem sir.' When I was buying my Brandy at the Portside grog shop, I saw two crew members buy 24 bottles of this Spanish Brandy and take them back on board, no problems.

Stupidity just enforcing Princess alcohol policy on the Australian trio of Sun Princess/Dawn Princess/Sea Princess.

I have never had problems taking as much wine in casks or bottles on a Fremantle on the Sun or the Dawn but I have had conversation with someone who brought 6 bottles on board and they took away 4 and told the cruiser to bring the other empty bottles back to them when they were be replaced with two full ones from their stack.

So really it is probably depending on who is on duty on the day - the answer will be take a wine cask in your checked luggage - you can decant it into the empty bottles of those you can also take on and drink - to put in the frig to keep a good temperature.:):p;)

I have never had problems taking as much wine in casks or bottles on a Fremantle on the Sun or the Dawn but I have had conversation with someone who brought 6 bottles on board and they took away 4 and told the cruiser to bring the other empty bottles back to them when they were be replaced with two full ones from their stack.

So really it is probably depending on who is on duty on the day - the answer will be take a wine cask in your checked luggage - you can decant it into the empty bottles of those you can also take on and drink - to put in the frig to keep a good temperature.:):p;)

Thanks for all your replies - we'll see how we go with a few bottles, and post how we get on.

Yes those 2 litre casks are the way to go:p

Also check out the rumrunners on google. They are great to take some spirits if that is what you like to drink.

Believe me, they policed the wine on the Dawn very strictly!!! When you consider that the average age for the cruise was 72 it doesn't make for it being " the party ship"!!!

I have no problems with RCCL or Celebrity if they have rules that are for everyone, but I do object to the fact that they treat us differenty in Aus only::(

Yes those 2 litre casks are the way to go:p

Also check out the rumrunners on google. They are great to take some spirits if that is what you like to drink.

Believe me, they policed the wine on the Dawn very strictly!!! When you consider that the average age for the cruise was 72 it doesn't make for it being " the party ship"!!!

I have no problems with RCCL or Celebrity if they have rules that are for everyone, but I do object to the fact that they treat us differenty in Aus only::(

I still believe it is the Dawn P only and therefore it is probably one person who is sticking to the rules. I don't believe it is that they are treating Aussies differently. From what I have read, when Americans boarded the Dawn they found the same situation you did.

There is absolutely no problem on the Sun Princess, but I will check out how things are on the Sea Princess. Other people on this board have reported they had no difficulties. Sandy and some of the others are going on the sun shortly, so it will be interesting to hear reports. A little bit later in the year we are on the Dawn Princess, so that will be interesting as well.

I still believe it is the Dawn P only and therefore it is probably one person who is sticking to the rules. I don't believe it is that they are treating Aussies differently. From what I have read, when Americans boarded the Dawn they found the same situation you did.

There is absolutely no problem on the Sun Princess, but I will check out how things are on the Sea Princess. Other people on this board have reported they had no difficulties. Sandy and some of the others are going on the sun shortly, so it will be interesting to hear reports. A little bit later in the year we are on the Dawn Princess, so that will be interesting as well.

Yes, I will see what happens at Auckland. ;)

but I will check out how things are on the Sea Princess

AT when do you go on the Sea Princess....are you joining us on monday

Archived