Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cusyl

Veendam Review

Just off the Veendam today. I was very impressed by their effort to sanitize everything and the portable washing stations throught the ship. As far as I know there was NO virus on the ship.

We got off to a slow start when a passenger and her husband had to be transfered to a Coast Guard vessel before we even left Tampa Bay. The weather was good and food was excellent both in dining room and on the Lido deck.

The entertainment was fabulous, especially Ken and his duck Casey..and the American tenor John D Smitherman.

There were 2 formal nights, one informal and 4 casual nights...in spite of what was in our documents. A gentleman at our table was turned away at the dining room door with shorts on the final night of the cruise so he went and changed.

The ship was leaving for Canada after we disembarked.

Just off the Veendam today.... A gentleman at our table was turned away at the dining room door with shorts on the final night of the cruise

Hurrah!!!

Thank you for your report. May I ask about the entertainment on board? Especially I'd like to know who was playing in the lounges and what was your opinion of them?

And who were the stage entertainers? Would you recommend any of them?

You didn't happen to run in to a lounge stewardess named Richel, did you? She was on the Rotterdam the last two summers and is now on the Veendam. She's a doll.

A gentleman at our table was turned away at the dining room door with shorts on the final night of the cruise so he went and changed.

Yeah!!

THere's an interesting rant over on the celebrity boards by a man who was turned away on informal night because he wasn't wearing a jacket. He's not getting a lot of sympathy! :)

THanks for the "quickie" Cusyl, can't wait for the long one! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your Veendam comments. Happy you enjoyed yourself. She's a great ship IMO

Put me on the list of folks who think it fine that man was turned away from the dining room and asked to dress appropriately!!

Welcome Home. Looking forward to reading more of your comments.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise on Veendam cusyl.

It's great to read positive comments about both the entertainment and the food as we will be sailing on her in two weeks for our first HAL cruise.

Thanks!

It's refreshing to read a positive review about the Veendam!:)

We are sailing on her in November with a bunch of CC'ers and it's sure nice to see a nice review about her! Thanks for your review!:cool:

Let me add a "Thank You" for your Veendam review and for taking the time to "pass the word." DW and I sail on her from San Diego to Vancouver, BC, Canada in two weeks and one day. Really look forward to it.

I'm trying to book a cruise before RCI's new "no discounts" rules go in to effect May 1st. We love the Mariner and PC port. My husband would like to try HAL and I found out they don't use PC now. Tampa is fine for us also. Their web site gives me no info except prices and I know nothing about the ships or staterooms or categories. Veendam goes out of Tampa in Feb. and the prices I'll have to ck w/online TA but need more info. Can anyone give me a site or opinion on this ship. Couldn't even get thru for a search here. I'm not "subscribed"...??? Been on CC for over a yr but on Carnival & RCI. What size ship is it. # pax etc. Started w/Mariner after 23 yr lapse & disappointed in CCL Glory, so don't want to book something blind. Have friends who love HAL but can't reach them this weekend. TIA for any help! :confused:

I too am glad that a dining guest was asked to change for dinner. On our last cruise on the Zaandam there were several passengers wearing shorts, tee shirts, and flip flops to dinner. I wonder why the dress code is enforced on some cruise ships and not others.

I wonder why the dress code is enforced on some cruise ships and not others.

Ask your Maitre d'. It's his call.