Recent Monarch Cruisers: Formal Night

MonaCK

I've actually never been on a cruise that's less than five nights, but I am going on the 3 night monarch cruise in April.

My boyfriend has never cruised before, and I will turn diamond while on this cruise.

My question: how formal is formal night on these shorter trips? Will my boyfriend be okay with a shirt and tie, or will he need a tux? Is no jacket okay? I'm not talking about doing jeans in the dining room, and I likely will still get dressed up in one of my "cruise gowns", but while the boyfriend does have some dressier stuff that he wears for work, I am reasonably sure that he does not own a tux like my ex husband does... :)

Any insight would be great :)

Thanks so much!

Shirt and tie should be fine for a 3 night. It seems like the shorter the cruise, the less formal it is. We skip the formal nights on anything less than 7 nights and go to the Windjammer that night.

As a matter of fact, on the last night of our cruise on Monarch last month, out waiter asked why we didn't come. We told him we don't like to bring a lot of luggage on short cruises, and he said "That doesn't matter, formal is just a suggestion! You can come in blue-jeans, people do it all the time."

I wouldn't even think of doing that, but it just reassured us that the short cruises are less formal.

I've actually never been on a cruise that's less than five nights, but I am going on the 3 night monarch cruise in April.

My boyfriend has never cruised before, and I will turn diamond while on this cruise.

My question: how formal is formal night on these shorter trips? Will my boyfriend be okay with a shirt and tie, or will he need a tux? Is no jacket okay? I'm not talking about doing jeans in the dining room, and I likely will still get dressed up in one of my "cruise gowns", but while the boyfriend does have some dressier stuff that he wears for work, I am reasonably sure that he does not own a tux like my ex husband does... :)

Any insight would be great :)

Thanks so much!

We got off Monarch today. Your BF will be perfectly fine and won't stand out as being under-dressed at all. We had a lot less people in the MDR on formal night on Monarch than the other nights. It was funny because we had just been on a 4 night on Jewel where people dressed up more than usual and the MDR was packed. These 2 ships had totally different atmospheres.

Gina

When I sailed on the Monarch back in May 2010 on the 3 nighter, there wasnt even a Formal night at all. The dress suggestion was smart casual.

I do believe they have went back to having a Formal night now on the 3 night Monarch cruise though but your boyfriend will be just fine.

When I sailed on the Monarch back in May 2010 on the 3 nighter, there wasnt even a Formal night at all. The dress suggestion was smart casual.

I do believe they have went back to having a Formal night now on the 3 night Monarch cruise though but your boyfriend will be just fine.

Formal night is actually night two - when we are docked in Nassau, so I am not sure how full the dining room is going to be anyway. It's all good. I spoke with him tonight about this and he surprised me by saying that he has the stuff to get dressed up, he just doesn't do it very often, and is kind of looking forward to getting all dolled up. :)

We've been dating for a year and a half. The things you learn. ;)

this week, and formal night is just another night, I did not see a tux, only a few suits, and sport coats, and these were on people who were celebrating a event. Most people were dressed very very nicely, but not formal, including me, but I never take formal outfits.

Formal night is actually night two - when we are docked in Nassau, so I am not sure how full the dining room is going to be anyway. It's all good. I spoke with him tonight about this and he surprised me by saying that he has the stuff to get dressed up, he just doesn't do it very often, and is kind of looking forward to getting all dolled up. :)

We've been dating for a year and a half. The things you learn. ;)

It will make for very nice pics for the two of you..:D

I was on Monarch over Christmas, and it was probably a bit dressier than normal. Typically I bring a suit on shorter cruises and my tux on longer ones. This time I wore a shirt (cufflinks) and tie. Honestly felt like I fit in with everyone else just fine. Just didn't want to mess with brining a jacket and such. Have fun! :cool:

Also, about the formal night in Nassau....The MDR seemed to be just as busy/full as it was the other two nights.

Archived