• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Inspiration Review 4/11 First timers!

mistretta

First Background: We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 small children (ages 4 and 3). This was our first cruise, we have been to several all inclusive resorts - Couples, Secrets and two in the Mexican Riveria - we loved all or our previous trips. We decided to try cruising. We took my parents along for some help with the kids.

We left out of Michigan about 10a and arrived in Tampa at 1pm - took a cab to the port and we were off and running. There were lines but for the most part they were moving fast and we were on the ship by 2:30pm. Kids were getting antsy - but par for the course! We got to our room E23 and no luggage yet - ok room is good - small & worn but ok for us. We hit lunch at the buffet and the kids want to swim - no pools are filled so they use the hot tub - there were no adults using it at that time - most were still eating. We go through our unorganized muster drill and back to dinner we go. The kids fell asleep during dinner but all was good.

Day two - morning: when I get back home I will get back at my friends that told me you can't feel the ship rock - because this baby was rockin and rollin all over the place. So everyone in our room is a little woozy and we all take drammine (except for the kids!) and look for a place to hang out for the day - we hit the kids pool - which is fine for us to lay out in the sun by - but it is quite chilly. The kids pool was basically a wave pool the boat was rocking so much. Lunch - waited in line for food forever. Waited in line at all bars for anything to drink. Waited in line to get into the dining room. Went to bed early.

Day three - The anchor dropping at 5:30am woke us all up - ok - we will make it we are going to a beach tody - we decide to go to Royal Palms beach and hop in a taxi who take all 6 of us to the beach for $20. We got off the boat at 9:15 and by the time the tender is loaded and we are on the pier it is 9:40 - and the last tender is at 1:30 - so we get a whopping 3 1/2 hours at the beach in grand caymen. We made the best of it. Oh and we waited in line to get on the tender (again!). Got back on went for a quick piece of pizza (waited in line again) - went to the kids pool - watched alot of other peoples kids because no one seems to watch their own! Pool area was sooooo slippery that kids were falling left and right - cant wait to get to Cozumel and spend a whole day at the beach. Wait in line to get in at dinner - again. Waiter is wonderful to us and our children - kids are behaving perfect and we have a small cake for them - it's both of their birthdays (4 & 3). Can't say enough about our waiter Oscar he went above and beyond! He was about the only one the entire cruise - it seemed that everyone was spaced out and very slow. Boat is still very rocky, captain says there are 7-10 foot waves and very strong winds. Very windy and chilly.

Day 4: Cozumel - we dock at the pier for 2 hours then back out to make room for the Grand Princess - we hop off and take a cab to Paradise Beach - it is freezing out and very windy - but we make a day of it and hang out praying it won't rain. Service was great and food was too! Kids had a blast even without the sun. Head back about 3:30pm had to take a tender and wait in line again - then had to wait to fill it up. Back on board about 4:20 get ready for dinner. We ate and by the time we were done eating the Miracle had pulled out and we docked in her place. DH and myself head back out for a little shopping - pick up a couple of t-shirts and watched all the drunks get back on the ship! Pretty funny actually! We head back out to sea at 10pm or so.

Day 5 - Another rocky day at sea - this time the kiddie pool was so rough that they shut it down. It rained a little - but was sunny for the most part - but very chilly and windy. I still can't get over how rough the ride is? We waited in line for lunch and snacks again and then called it a day and showered and headed for dinner. We gave our waiter and extra $60 for our table and thanked him he was wonderful. I then had to go back and pack us up and of course I forgot to leave socks out for my son! The boat was still very rough. We called it a night and got ready for our trip home

day 6. we are supposed to meet on lido deck - so we can go home - but those people whose names they keep calling over the PA have failed to show up for their self-disembark. So after an hour of waiting for them to show, customs releases the boat. Over the pa she announces the boat has now been released everyone can go. Not by areas or anything - just "everyone" well that turned into alot of complaining from everyone! My kids were getting trampled buy alot of people - very unorganized!

Basically that sums it up - I have posted twice before we went asking questions and I have read a ton of reviews and thought I would post mine.

Was it a good value for your money? Yes

Would we do it again ? No

Did we have a good time? Yes - it is what you make it

Things I didn't like? Waiting in line for everything (and you do wait in line for practically everything) with two small children - Staff that was not the quickest to please - The rockiness of the ship - The short time in port - Having to be everywhere at a certain time - Having to watch other people kids because they were too busy vacationing! - and the weather (but they couldn't control that)

Things I did like Our waiter Oscar - The food - The shows - and spending time with my family, even if most of it was waiting in line.

We are looking for next year - but this time we are looking for a great all inclusive resort (with kids) and looking forward to laying on a beach for a week - Any suggestions?

Thanks

Penny

Archived