Istanbul to Athens (Greek Isl's) 1st part of April

Cruising Turkey and the Greek Islands early in April and wondering what type of clothes to bring. Since we have mostly cruised during warmer months and in tropical locations this will be a first being in Europe during early Spring.

My "cruise closet" is filled with lots of white pants and summer tops so need to put my mind in a cooler and possibly rainy mode. We also live in So. California at the beach and not that it matters but I'm a California blonde:D so my wardrobe is filled with bright colors. This cruise will be port intensive so my main concern is not so much what to wear aboard but what would work best when we are in port. Also we will be pre-cruise for 3 days in Istanbul and then post-cruise in Athens. Any help will of course be appreciated.

Shirley

Hello Wandering Wino's, ( a name after my own heart:))

Just checked the average temps in Istanbul and Athens 15c/59F so yes, you will need to wrap up a bit. I would suggest using your nice colourful summer tops with a couple of cardigans or sweaters to to keep you warm. A lightweight rain jacket that you can carry with you and a jolly umberella for rain or sun.

Shoes, a comfortable pair of walking shoes or runners (2 would be great for alternating) and also a comfortable pair of sandals. If you are usually a capri wearer on cruises add a couple of pairs of trousers as well for cooler days.

We stayed in Istanbul for 5 days at the begining of June '07 and had a wonderful time.

You will love it there. If your hotel isn't booked yet it is worth finding one in the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace triangle so you can walk everywhere.

The picture is from the rooftop terrace of the hotel we stayed at overlooking the Hagia Sophia.

Cheers, h :D

IMG_3055.jpg.88745d53ade17cc77cdd607468d5bd03.jpg

Hello Wandering Wino's, ( a name after my own heart:))

Just checked the average temps in Istanbul and Athens 15c/59F so yes, you will need to wrap up a bit. I would suggest using your nice colourful summer tops with a couple of cardigans or sweaters to to keep you warm. A lightweight rain jacket that you can carry with you and a jolly umberella for rain or sun.

Shoes, a comfortable pair of walking shoes or runners (2 would be great for alternating) and also a comfortable pair of sandals. If you are usually a capri wearer on cruises add a couple of pairs of trousers as well for cooler days.

We stayed in Istanbul for 5 days at the begining of June '07 and had a wonderful time.

You will love it there. If your hotel isn't booked yet it is worth finding one in the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace triangle so you can walk everywhere.

The picture is from the rooftop terrace of the hotel we stayed at overlooking the Hagia Sophia.

Cheers, h :D

Great suggestions, thank you so much.

I did go over to Macy's yesterday and purchased a Ralph Lauren warm up suit that I think will work for both Istanbul and some of the ports along the way on our cruise.

We are staying at the Neorion Hotel in the Old City Sultanahmet. From what I can tell they also have a great view of the Blue Mosque and walking distance from many of the sights.

I really appreciate your thoughts on how to make my "Southern California Clothes" work by adding a little warmth to the outfit.

Shirley

I was in Turkey on a land trip, with a stay in Istanbul during about the same timeframe as your visit. In fact, it was in 2009 just a couple of days before Obama visited Turkey -- and Istanbul was literally gleaming and abloom with millions of flowers specially planted. It was lovely.

Your best bet is layers. While it could be unseasonably cool it can also be warm. When I was there, I actually went out and purchased a couple of lightweight 3/4 sleeve t-shirts because it was so much warmer than I'd planned for....

I like to take one all-purpose rain jacket with a hood and a zip-out liner (to adjust for cooler or warmer weather).

Also remember in Istanbul that you have to remove your shoes to visit mosques. It's better to wear shoes that are easy to slip into and out of, as there isn't always a convenient place to sit down and tie/untie them. I also suggest carrying a pair of clean socks with you to wear once you take your shoes off (assuming you don't already have some on).

Finally, in some (but not all) mosques, you may be requested to cover your hair. So it's also a good idea to have a scarf with you. If not, they generally have something you can use....but I prefer my own. Keep in mind that this isn't universally true. You may or may not be asked to cover; it's a touchy subject in Turkey so it's just best to follow whatever your guide or local custom dictates.

I was in Turkey on a land trip, with a stay in Istanbul during about the same timeframe as your visit. In fact, it was in 2009 just a couple of days before Obama visited Turkey -- and Istanbul was literally gleaming and abloom with millions of flowers specially planted. It was lovely.

Your best bet is layers. While it could be unseasonably cool it can also be warm. When I was there, I actually went out and purchased a couple of lightweight 3/4 sleeve t-shirts because it was so much warmer than I'd planned for....

I like to take one all-purpose rain jacket with a hood and a zip-out liner (to adjust for cooler or warmer weather).

Also remember in Istanbul that you have to remove your shoes to visit mosques. It's better to wear shoes that are easy to slip into and out of, as there isn't always a convenient place to sit down and tie/untie them. I also suggest carrying a pair of clean socks with you to wear once you take your shoes off (assuming you don't already have some on).

Finally, in some (but not all) mosques, you may be requested to cover your hair. So it's also a good idea to have a scarf with you. If not, they generally have something you can use....but I prefer my own. Keep in mind that this isn't universally true. You may or may not be asked to cover; it's a touchy subject in Turkey so it's just best to follow whatever your guide or local custom dictates.

Great advise, thank you so much.

Shirley

Archived