Cruise Critic Community
kentuckychris

Just got back. Sapphire beach review

We went to Sapphire Beach after what we read on the boards. Our primary reason was to snorkel. Everything we read was true. This was snorkeling paradise. We started finding fish just about 10 feet from the shore. We went on both sides of the beach. They were both great. About the same fish were in both areas. I had read that it wasn’t good to feed the fish, so I asked at the pet store and they said to take fish food or rice crispy cereal. Crackers and other things are bad for them. I took a box of rice crispies from the ship and couldn’t click my pictures fast enough. I wish I had brought more than 1 box. We brought our own snorkel gear, but they did rent it. I think it was about $10 for the day. It was cheaper if you only wanted it for an hour or two. They had three options; one hour, two hours and all day. You had to give them your ID or ship card to hold. The beach is large and there are lots of sunny places and shady places. Trees are everywhere along the back of the beach, so finding either is no problem. There were 6 ships in port and there was tons of room. If you want a chair, it was $7 to rent for the day. We came out of the water and there was an iguana next to our towel. That was neat. We saw several of them that day. They are about 2’ long. If you got too close to them, they would walk away. They were looking for handouts of food. I saw several people feeding them. There were a few ducks that kept coming around to see if they could get food too. They did have restrooms right in the middle of the beach. We took a taxi, and it dropped us off right at the entrance. It’s down a steep hill, so that’s the best way to go. It was $10pp each way. On the way to the beach, we saw some of the island. The taxi’s are open air, so that was different and fun. Some of the group did an island tour on the taxis. It was about 2 hours long. They said it was great. It stopped at all the beaches and other sites so they could see everything. That was also in the open air taxi and it was $25pp. We are doing that on our next visit to the port. A lot of people went to Megan’s bay and said it was packed. They had trouble getting a spot. The water was packed too. They said it was beautiful, but extremely crowded. I’m glad we picked Sapphire. I am going on another cruise in 2 days, so after that, I won’t be on the boards for 10 days. I would be happy to answer any questions when I get back.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful day at Sapphire on St Thomas. Did you order any food or drinks?

Thanks for your report and glad you had a great day! So many people read negative comments here and elsewhere and shy away from Sapphire and it is a shame they miss it. Some folks have never seen Sapphire and leave negative comments - strange indeed!

We spent a week there and loved it, hopefully your report will help others "find" there are other options than Magens.

One note on the iguanas, they are attracted to red so if you have red toenails beware! :eek:

Edited by blue_water

Thank you so much for the review!! It just confirmed my decision that we will head to Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. We'll find a tour that stops at Paradise Point, then head to the beach. We'll shop at the port on the way back!!

Sunny Tours and Air Force One run tours such as this.

No, we didn't order any food or drink. We were one of the bad ones that brought a sandwich and a bottled water with us. We went to the deli the night before and got a sandwich. Put it in a ziplock bag. Had a ziplock of ice. Worked great.

So glad to hear that you loved it. We are trying to get back there hopefully this year around Christmas. I absolutely loved Sapphire!

Just wondering why the pet store said it was ok to feed the fish rice crispies? (just wondering for my next trip). I've used fruit loops before and then after returning I found out it was a no-no and what all it does to the fish and the ocean. So last time I took fish food pellets. Just wondering what the deal is with the rice crispies...if you knew the logic behind that.

What were they feeding the iguanas? There were TONS of iguanas all over the place on the beach and in the sea grape trees. Did you get to see the 3 legged one?

Did they have drinks and food for sale on the beach? Did you negotiate

a price with taxi driver for both ways, or catch another taxi to take you

back to ship?

Have fun on your next cruise.

Judy

Taxi fares are regulated and are not negotiable. Be sure to tip the driver, too many people just walk away. You will find taxis stationed at the beaches throughout your visit.

Drinksvand sandwiches (burger, mahi fish, etc) are available at the Banana Cabana, a small grill, snd there are runners on the beach taking pizza and buckets of beer orders. There is an excursions desk in the resort lobby, the girl there is very savvy about the island if you want to learn anything.

The iguanas like cherries and tomatos, if you wear red toenail polish beware! :p

When I was at Coki beach a couple years ago they were selling dog biscuts on the beach for $1 to feed the fish. I wondered after that if it is ok and if so I will bring some from home when I go again which will be in June.

As far as the iguanas, I spent a week at the Marriott in St Thomas last year and everyday at 4pm they had iguana feeding at the pool. This guy would come out with scrapes of lettuce that looked like reject pieces from the restaurant and throw it out and several iguanas showed up to feast on it. They were quite bold too.....came right up to look in people's beach bags!

Hi kentuckychris,

Did you see any pelicans there? People report on them at Megan's and I am wondering if they are abundant only at that place.

Cheers,

voyager

Glad to read another good review of Sapphire Beach! I booked a ship excursion to Sapphire on our upcoming cruise, based on Mitsugirly's high recommendations :). First time snorkeling for us...guess we will see how that goes! LOL Good to know about the $7 chairs, that might be something we do. Thanks for the review!

I have been to Sapphire Beach on two previous cruises and Megans Bay once. Absolutely love sapphire beach. Cruising again spring break to St. Thomas. We are thinking of going to Trunk Bay this time over Sapphire beach but cannot decide. Anyone been to both, opinions please.:)

See the thread titled "St thomas to Trunk Bay?" for our view, we would choose Sapphire on a cruise stopfor those reasons.

I have been to Sapphire Beach on two previous cruises and Megans Bay once. Absolutely love sapphire beach. Cruising again spring break to St. Thomas. We are thinking of going to Trunk Bay this time over Sapphire beach but cannot decide. Anyone been to both, opinions please.:)

Sapphire is great but Trunk is arguably one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. However, if there are number of ships in port, it can get overly crowded which takes away from the enjoyment of the place. Plus you willl lose 1 1/2-2 hours of beach time by traveling over to Trunk. It's a tough call.

I have been to both Saphire and Trunks. I agree that if there are many ships in port, the trip to Trunks may be crowded. If there has been any storms, visibility at both will be poor but more so at Trunks.

April 2012 I am going to trunks and will report on the current status of Trunks

Marsha

Snorkelgirlca as you say the condition one day will not be the same another. But I would still choose Sapphire, and if there is a swell head for Coki. Actually the drivers are keen on the conditions and can recommend the best beach based on current conditions. Same on St John of course, and there are other less busy bays there too.

Crazyshopper allow 30 min to Red Hook ferry, 25 min on ferry, then 20 min to Trunk, longer taxi back due to traffic. There are other beach choices on both St John and St Thomas, Trunk is a popular excursion for good reason so it will be crowded.

Sapphire on the other hand is just past Red Hook and is clean, gorgeous beach which offers great snorkeling, and is very safe as it is a resort area. We spent a week there and we would recommend that beach to anyone. Just a perfect location with amazing water and island views.

Edited by blue_water

Snorkelgirlca as you say the condition one day will not be the same another. But I would still choose Sapphire, and if there is a swell head for Coki. Actually the drivers are keen on the conditions and can recommend the best beach based on current conditions. Same on St John of course, and there are other less busy bays there too.

Crazyshopper allow 30 min to Red Hook ferry, 25 min on ferry, then 20 min to Trunk, longer taxi back due to traffic. There are other beach choices on both St John and St Thomas, Trunk is a popular excursion for good reason so it will be crowded.

Sapphire on the other hand is just past Red Hook and is clean, gorgeous beach which offers great snorkeling, and is very safe as it is a resort area. We spent a week there and we would recommend that beach to anyone. Just a perfect location with amazing water and island views.

I have been to Coki beach twice. I would love to go back to the Trunk, which I have been once with my friends and without my family. But, our stop in St. Thomas is not long and it would be too far to go for my kids.

I think I am sold on Sapphire.

We were sooo glad we went to Sapphire Beach. The people there were raving about the snorkeling. I could have stayed and just stared at the view for hours it was so beautiful. There was a restaurant/bar/snorkel rental place there - food and drink service on the beach. Beer cost $4. A short bit up the beach, there was a hut selling for $2 or $3.

Great reviews. I think I will go to Sapphire now too. I was reading a lot of negativity about the beach and was going to go to some other beach. Can anybody tell me if there are any water sports there? Thanks

ok, I'm trying to place where things are. If we took a taxi to Sapphire beach is it possible to get the taxie driver to stop at either Paradise Point or Mountain Top for pictures, would this be out of the way and how much do you think they would charge, guessing? I know Sunny Liston or havefunwithus.com does this but they only stay at the beach for 2 hrs. and I know we will want to stay longer. Any suggestions, anyone done this?

We were sooo glad we went to Sapphire Beach. The people there were raving about the snorkeling. I could have stayed and just stared at the view for hours it was so beautiful. There was a restaurant/bar/snorkel rental place there - food and drink service on the beach. Beer cost $4. A short bit up the beach, there was a hut selling for $2 or $3.

Yes. We just laid in our balcony hammock with a bucket of Caribs and stared at Tortola and St John and the gorgeous water colors.

It's not the BVI but still an excellent spot to relax!

Great reviews. I think I will go to Sapphire now too. I was reading a lot of negativity about the beach and was going to go to some other beach. Can anybody tell me if there are any water sports there? Thanks

Some of the negative reviews are from folks who were never there believe it or not, and I remember a couple from people expecting an AI resort, they didn't do any research...

But it is a nice beach with an active dive center renting snorkel gear and floaties, there may be Jet - Skis down the beach. We stayed there last April after a week on Tortola and it was nicer than we expected. Nicer than Secret Harbor and Emerald, and much less crowded than Magens. We also love Coki but it gets too crowded when ships are in.

Sapphire is ideal.

ok, I'm trying to place where things are. If we took a taxi to Sapphire beach is it possible to get the taxie driver to stop at either Paradise Point or Mountain Top for pictures, would this be out of the way and how much do you think they would charge, guessing? I know Sunny Liston or havefunwithus.com does this but they only stay at the beach for 2 hrs. and I know we will want to stay longer. Any suggestions, anyone done this?

Taxi directly to Sapphire for $10pp each way. Stop at Paradise Point after, have the driver drop you at the tram or drive you up. If you are docked at Havensight you can walk from the tram if you take that down. You can make a stop at Iggy's Beach Bar st Bolongo Bay on the way, you'll pay a small fee for the stop. Justvask the driver, rates are regulated.

Taxi directly to Sapphire for $10pp each way. Stop at Paradise Point after, have the driver drop you at the tram or drive you up. If you are docked at Havensight you can walk from the tram if you take that down. You can make a stop at Iggy's Beach Bar st Bolongo Bay on the way, you'll pay a small fee for the stop. Justvask the driver, rates are regulated.

Do you recommend doing a stop at the paradise point first before Sapphire beach? Or do you recommend getting a taxi after the tram? Do you know how much the taxi ride is from paradise point to Sapphire beach?