Transatlantic - group activities

ChiLuvs2Trav

To experienced Transatlantic cruisers:

This is our first Transatlantic cruise. We are leaving Fort Lauderdale on April 14, 2012 on RCCL Liberty of the Seas. So far, our roll call group have a gift exchange and cabin crawl organized. What other group activities can you suggest?

I would like to suggest a wine tasting and a golf tournament but don't know how to go about it. What would you suggest the requirements be to participate in either activity?

Joining the roll call gives us a chance to meet people and make new friends.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions,

Chiqui

This is our first Transatlantic cruise. We are leaving Fort Lauderdale on April 14, 2012 on RCCL Liberty of the Seas. So far, our roll call group have a gift exchange and cabin crawl organized. What other group activities can you suggest?

I would like to suggest a wine tasting and a golf tournament but don't know how to go about it. What would you suggest the requirements be to participate in either activity?

Chiqui

We are doing a PUB CRAWL and a GIFT EXCHANGE on our April 7 cruise on Celebrity Constellation. Check out our roll call under Calberry. This is in addition to a cabin crawl and slot pull. How would you do golf tournament? There a quite a few golfers on our roll.

Chiqui

We did a slot pull on our last cruise that was a ball. We had 45 people participate. I overheard comments from bystanders about how much fun we seemed to be having; in fact a couple of people tried to join in! We even broke even when all was said and done.

Transatlantics tend to be heavily weighted with experienced cruisers (maybe they weigh heavy from cruising so much :p) who are very active.

So far for our upcoming TA from Miami to Rome we have....

1. Night before cruise shore meet in Miami

2. Cabin Crawl

3. Slot Pull

4. Pub Crawl (with poker hands - draw card at each venue)

5. "Hosted" luncheon in MDR with gift exchange

6. Golf Tournament (maybe, still working on details)

7. Group member organized excursions & tours at several ports

8. Meet & Mingle (of course) (161 signed up as of today)

9. Nightly Steerage Society Cocktail Party Non-Meetings

Non event things...

- Private web site for the cruise created by one of the Roll Call members.

- Pins designed for the cruise

- Shirts & stuff with our selected Roll Call name - "Roamin' Mariners"

2653864380039985236S200x200Q85.jpg

Slot pull

Organize dinner one night.

The wine tasting is an interesting idea but considering RCCL doesn't allow you to bring wine onboard and pay a corkage fee, I wouldn't want to foot the bill for the wine purchases. I suppose the amount could be split among your participants but it might become too costly.

I'm content to sit and read and look at the sea for all those days.

That said, our current roll call is doing a slot pull and considering a murder mystery game if enough want to do it.

After confusion about the meaning of a word written by a guy from England, we had a little discussion on our roll call about our common language that often has different meanings for the same words. I jokingly suggested we have a game with teams calling out words and the other team guessing their meaning. Lo and behold some people took me up on it.

Wow! Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'd like your opinion on:

Golf Tournament - I would probably have to arrange with the cruise ship ahead of time for this. The entry fee would be around $10(or more or less what everyone decides). Who ever wins will get the total amount of the entry fee collected. If there are two or more with the lowest score, there would be a tie breaker.

Wine Tasting - I would probably have to arrange with the cruise ship ahead of time for this. From the sommelier at the wine bar, I would ask for him/her to put together a flight of wine(2 oz. per glass). We would have to guess the varietal of each glass. No cash prize. Just the enjoyment of drinking the wine will be good enough.

What do you think?

Chiqui

Wow! Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'd like your opinion on:

Golf Tournament - I would probably have to arrange with the cruise ship ahead of time for this. The entry fee would be around $10(or more or less what everyone decides). Who ever wins will get the total amount of the entry fee collected. If there are two or more with the lowest score, there would be a tie breaker.

Wine Tasting - I would probably have to arrange with the cruise ship ahead of time for this. From the sommelier at the wine bar, I would ask for him/her to put together a flight of wine(2 oz. per glass). We would have to guess the varietal of each glass. No cash prize. Just the enjoyment of drinking the wine will be good enough.

What do you think?

Chiqui

I don't think I would charge for a golf tournament.

Who is going to pay for the wine flight? RCCL isn't going to give you any freebies. They ususally organize a wine tasting during a cruises anyway. Why not just go as a group and each person is responsible for paying the fee?

I don't think I would charge for a golf tournament.

Who is going to pay for the wine flight? RCCL isn't going to give you any freebies. They ususally organize a wine tasting during a cruises anyway. Why not just go as a group and each person is responsible for paying the fee?

Golfers get more competitive when there is side betting involved. At least, that's what DH says. So, the golf tournament might be a lot more fun if they know there is a cash prize at the end.

Thank you for the heads up on wine tastings being offered by the cruise line. I'll contact RCCL about it.

Chiqui

Archived