Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaPeel

Back from the Pride - 4/10 sailing

We had a great time on the Pride, the ship is great, crew was awesome! Weather was great, a bit chilly on the day we sailed (once out to sea) and on Saturday. Had rough seas the day we left Long Beach, after leaving Cabo and on the last sea day, but nothing one Bonine didn't take care of.

We had a balcony cabin on the Panorama Deck. Very nice cabin, under the lido deck, but all we heard was the occassional cart go by. The crew overall was absolutely great. Out of 6 cruises, our Cabin Steward Eugeniya, was the best we have ever had. She was great, very helpful, pleasant to deal with and always willing to help. Dining room staff was also great.

We ate at David's twice during the cruise (both formal nights). If you will be sailing on the Pride, you should definitley eat at David's at least once. The food and the staff were AMAZING!

We did not do any excursions thorugh the ship or otherwise, just explored on our own. Our favorite port was Cabo, although it would be nice to be in port much longer, it's just too short a day. We took a water taxi out to Lover's Beach, did some snorkling and swimming then wandered around town. PV was very hot and humid. Mazatlan was hot and not as humid - we spent the day on Stone Island (took the water taxi over on our own).

The week was great, the best cruise I have ever done!

If you have questions, let me know, I'd be happy to answer them.

Thank you for the Pride review. I'm looking forward to being on the Pride in October! It will be our first cruise with Carnival!! I've heard good things about this ship and I plan to have a wonderful time. Thanks for the advice about David's. We'll definitely give it a try!

Kathy

Thanks for the review! We're sailing on the Pride for our first cruise in August, and we're currently booked on the Panorama deck as well - glad to hear that noise from above was minimal. I was just wondering how the new cruise director was - I read so much about Greg Kneale, but know he retired, and wanted to find out what the new guy/girl was like.

Thanks!

Thanks for the review! We're sailing on the Pride for our first cruise in August, and we're currently booked on the Panorama deck as well - glad to hear that noise from above was minimal. I was just wondering how the new cruise director was - I read so much about Greg Kneale, but know he retired, and wanted to find out what the new guy/girl was like.

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't really pay attention to the cruise directors, so I am not the best person to ask. He seemed fine, I only heard him on the announcements. Sorry.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise on what I think is the best ship in the Carnival fleet. I would go on this ship again in a heartbeat. I just wish that she were still on the east coast.:)

David's is $25 per person...plus we added a $10 tip since they do not get any of the dining room tips. It is well worth the small extra cost. A meal of this caliber on land would easily be $150 - $200 per person.

Arisia: When in October are you going? We are going on 23 Oct. Shape / Mens Fitness Cruise.

We are going to be staying on Panorama as well, in cat 11 right in the end of the ship. Just curious about how crowded you felt the deck was in your opinion and if you found Panorama to be more fun?

David's is $25 per person...plus we added a $10 tip since they do not get any of the dining room tips. It is well worth the small extra cost. A meal of this caliber on land would easily be $150 - $200 per person.

Sorry, that last line should read $150 - $200 total, not per person.

What is the shape/men's fitness cruise? - We're booked on that cruise, and I didn't know it was a themed cruise.... Who's sponsoring??

What is the shape/men's fitness cruise? - We're booked on that cruise, and I didn't know it was a themed cruise.... Who's sponsoring??

Im not sure, but it might be Shape Magazine and Men's fitness magazine....just a guess though :rolleyes:

Wennfred, We're on the October 2 cruise. We're celebrating DH birthday onboard---looking forward to it! Hope you enjoy your cruise---we'll take good care of the ship for you! Enjoy!

Hi!

I was just wondering if you could give me a few more details about David's. We'll be on the Pride May, 1, and celebrating our 10th anniversary. I'd like to do David's Monday night (we leave port on Sunday), but am trying to figure out if it's worth the extra money. Plus, neither of us have "formal wear"- my husband has a suit, and I have maternity clothes (not too many fancy dresses for pregnant ladies!).

I've heard the food is the same that they have in the dining room on formal night, and that it's the ambiance that you're basically paying for. I don't have a problem with this if the ambiance is really worth it. But do they have music and dancing? How big are the table sizes? How many people does the room accept? And my husband wondered if there are any "freebie drinks":D ... I told him no, but I guess I don't really know!

Anyway, I'd love to hear your feedback on the differences you found between the formal night dining room and David's.

Thanks! Laura C.

I have heard quite a variety of posts about embarkation at Long Beach. What was your experience? When did you arive and how long did it take you to get on the ship?

We cruise in 4 days.:)

thanks,

Kevin

RevKev:

We sailed on the Pride April 3.

Our embarkation was no problem. Even though our taxi driver was confused because downtown was set up for the Grand Prix, and he couldn't figure out how to get to the actual terminal. He dropped us at the Queen Mary hotel entrance, where the friendly porters took pity on us and kept our luggage for $5. We then walked over the the correct place to sign in early (we had done our fun passes online)...that took about 10 minutes. Very entertaining...we were there probably at 1015 Sunday morning, and many people were well into enjoying the alcohol-portion of the cruise experience ;). Very friendly crowd. We then walked back to the QM lobby, retrieved our bags from that porter, and he put us in a free shuttle to the actual terminal, where we gave our bags to another porter, with a hope and a prayer that they'd be put on the ship. Then we waited in line for a while....not too long, I don't think, and were on board by shortly after 1:30, as I recall. We started exploring the ship, not expecting our cabin to be ready, or our bags available, until much later. But we walked by the cabin at about 2:30, and they were all there.

It was not an unpleasant experience at all...even given that we were first timers and had the associated "first time jitters."

Hope this helps.

AustinRobi

PS the rest of the cruise was very enjoyable, too!

Embarkation for the Pride in Long Beach took a while. We were there early, like before 9:00 am. We went through the "pre-registration" at the Queen Mary which is supposed to save you a ton of time. Not our experience, as others in the line for folks that did not pre-register seemed to get on the boat in the same amount of time as us. After pre-registering we did some sightseeing in the city, went to the Pacific Aquarium and so forth. Then back to the Pride by 1:30.

The long security screening line is what took forever--like an hour and a half to 2 hours or so? But wow, I love that ship!

Whomever asked about the CD--I believe his name is Steve Kneale or something similar. I know the Steve part is right. He was actually very funny and easy going. I would do the cruise again in a heartbeat.

We are going to be staying on Panorama as well, in cat 11 right in the end of the ship. Just curious about how crowded you felt the deck was in your opinion and if you found Panorama to be more fun?

We stayed in an inside cabin on the panorama/aft of the ship. The halls were very quite as the stairs to the lido deck are not near. We did not hear anything from above. I don't know about the cat 11 though. That is a balcony right?

I don't quite understand the fun part of your question about the Panorama deck.

We were also on the Pride the week of the tenth. Loved it. We were in cabin

8111 on the panorama. Great cabin .Tatianna was so sweet.I came down with bronchitis and she went and got me a down comforter and checked on me daily. Steve was a great cruise director,funny and down to earth. The food all week was good. Although we only made it to the dining room twice this trip due to kids and me getting sick. Wish they had soup on room service. Hubby always managed to find some .At least I didn't gain any extra weight ths trip. We had the best time. Our kids met great new friends.Had to pry them off the ship in port cause they liked the ship so much. Have a blast.

We did a review but it is not up yet.

emmapeel- just off the pride 4/17-4/24 and our Cabin Steward was also Eugeniya! she was fantastic. a very hard worker.she was very accomodating. this week is her last week working then she'll be going home to finland ( i think). bet she's ready for the break!

I was excited to see all of the Pride postings. We will be on the Pride on 5/8. Can anyone give me more info on Stone Island? I was planning on going there by water taxi as opposed to a tour. Can anyone pass one any good tips? We are traveling with 4 kids, 13,12, 9 & 4.