Norovirus

1 hour ago, mtsublueraider said:

We are not newbies and can honestly say while I’m happy with what RCL has done with the situation... and I have no doubt they mean well with their offer... that I’d have almost rather had a voucher for a 7 night cruise or the choice of a refund. Only reason I say that is that we got such a great deal on this trip with the kids sail free promotion that my refunded fare won’t pay for another cruise like we were supposed to have. Bratty? Maybe. But I can see the point. 

And yes my two kids were throwing up at 5am this morning , but everyone has been incredible. 

Fair point.  But at the same time, offering a voucher for a 7 night cruise would be tricky for the cruise line.  Would it be good on any 7 night cruise, on any ship, anywhere in the world, any time of the year?  If it's limited to just Western Caribbean, would it only be good on Oasis?  If it's limited to Western Caribbean on Oasis, would it be good any time of the year?

I'm not disagreeing with your perspective, but there's obviously lots of considerations.

1 hour ago, mtsublueraider said:

We are not newbies and can honestly say while I’m happy with what RCL has done with the situation... and I have no doubt they mean well with their offer... that I’d have almost rather had a voucher for a 7 night cruise or the choice of a refund. Only reason I say that is that we got such a great deal on this trip with the kids sail free promotion that my refunded fare won’t pay for another cruise like we were supposed to have. Bratty? Maybe. But I can see the point. 

And yes my two kids were throwing up at 5am this morning , but everyone has been incredible. 

You do have a valid point. I'm sure most would feel the same way if they were in the same situation.

But as Time4u2Go pointed out - and as you probably know - the price of a 7 day cruise can vary widely based on the time of year, even on the same ship/itinerary.  The voucher would probably have so many restrictions attached as to be useless.

Hopefully Royal will be running another KSF sale soon that fits your budget.

19 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Fair point.  But at the same time, offering a voucher for a 7 night cruise would be tricky for the cruise line.  Would it be good on any 7 night cruise, on any ship, anywhere in the world, any time of the year?  If it's limited to just Western Caribbean, would it only be good on Oasis?  If it's limited to Western Caribbean on Oasis, would it be good any time of the year?

I'm not disagreeing with your perspective, but there's obviously lots of considerations.

Very valid. I guess my eyes are shaded because we can drive to the port. I just want the same exact itinerary on the same boat as a do-over. All being said we will try again! 

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I wonder if somebody in medical analyzes a patient specimen under a microscope, or performs some other lab test, before  pronouncing the illness as Noro virus??

Yes, it used to be that samples were collected and sent to the CDC for analysis, but now there are "field" tests for noro virus that only take minutes to do.

28 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Let's all keep in mind the crew, staff, officers, and those doing B2B will remain on the ship so not everyone who has been exposed to Noro will be leaving the ship. 

How can they have the B2B cruisers stay on board when ship needs to have deep cleaning?  Biker?

5 minutes ago, BEENSAILING said:

How can they have the B2B cruisers stay on board when ship needs to have deep cleaning?  Biker?

They probably want them off ASAP so the crew can start the cleaning.

• Like 1

On Oasis now. All 3 of us were sick beginning Tuesday evening. 24 hours of cabin quarantine. It became clear midday yesterday that things were escalating. 

We have all bounced back and had dinner in the MDR tonight. Doing our best to chalk it up to bad luck and not let it ruin the week. The full refund is nice too.

• Like 3

Whatever, the B2B folks even if they are totally off the ship for a while will be returning to the ship for the next sailing and the crew, staff, and officers will also be on the next sailing. 

Just saying ... many who have been exposed to Noro will be on the next sailing. :classic_dry:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OCruisers said:

Let's all keep in mind the crew, staff, officers, and those doing B2B will remain on the ship so not everyone who has been exposed to Noro will be leaving the ship. 

Same with the crew members but I'm sure Royal is addressing this.

No need to add to the drama

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, it used to be that samples were collected and sent to the CDC for analysis, but now there are "field" tests for noro virus that only take minutes to do.

Hmmm... that CDC VSP report listed cause as unknown.

8 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Whatever, the B2B folks even if they are totally off the ship for a while will be returning to the ship for the next sailing and the crew, staff, and officers will also be on the next sailing. 

Just saying ... many who have been exposed to Noro will be on the next sailing. :classic_dry:

After they stay in a hotel in the area!! lol So it begins spreading like wildfire. It is not the cruiselines fault.

Edited by Reader0108598

On 1/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, John&LaLa said:

Well, I apparently have it.  Probably Karma for posting the puke picture.

Sorry to hear this! Hope you recover quickly!

Personally, I would have no problem getting on a ship after a outbreak. DH and I are vigilant about hand washing and using common sense to stay healthy when cruising. We’ve never been sick, but we are aware there is no way to guarantee it won’t happen in the future. 

He actually got norovirus a few years back when it hit the campus of VaTech. We still aren’t sure how he was exposed, but he became very ill very quickly. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 8:39 PM, nbsjcruiser said:

I go to my Doctor pre-cruise and get the meds for vomiting and diarrhea and bring them with me. If something hits, we're  prepared. People who really get sick usually dehydrate so putting a plug in whatever end necessary as quickly as possible ensures a quick recovery. 

In case you're curious, the meds I bring are Lomotil (for the trots) and Histantil for vomiting.  

We started bringing these meds after our son picked up Noro on a plane on our way to Florida to take a cruise. Never seen someone so sick tbh and had we had these meds we would have avoided 3 trips to the hospital and $15K in medical bills < - insurance paid this.

Good to know. Cruise critic has valuable information.

9 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Of course staff crew and officers have potentially been exposed and will be on the ship next sailing. They are motivated, responsible adults who are diligent about hygiene, especially in the days since the outbreak has become apparent.  So their odds of contracting the illness are lower than passengers (who include children and less careful adults...we see those passenger who fail to wash their hands or barely rinse them in restrooms).  Furthermore, if crew, staff or officier do become ill, they will report the illness and comply with quarantine (again in contrast with some passengers who violate quarantine and spread the illness).  

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 3