Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

firsttimelongtime

dawn - the true account

i have lurked here for a year and gained lots from most of you... thats why i felt compelled to write now

Just curious as how you could lurk for a year and never once wanted to post to ask a question? Were all your questions about cruising and this line answered? :confused: I lurked for about a month before posting as I needed info not found.

I have no agenda. If someone treated you poorly put it out here. Don't drag the crew down because of a few people or the home office. They worked very hard. I do understand that not everyone that left early had a bad attitude. As a fellow officer I understand your situation. I', just saying give credit were it is due and put blame where it belongs.

My DH and I were not only on the Dawn when it was hit, we were in one of the two rooms that were hit and damaged. Yes indeed it was scary but not as scary as some of the stories that have come out since. We were two of the four that woke up UNDER water and as bad as that was (believe me it was quite a scary feeling to wake up that way:eek:) We not only STAYED on board but we are extremely grateful to Captain Petersham and his crew because without their expertise many could have been severely injured or even worse. The entire NCL crew deserves nothing but the highest praise for their handling of the situation

Our heartfelt thanks to those from the boards who were so kind to my DH and I and who took the time and trouble to constantly check in on us. Caren, Maryann Miss Riss and all your families,You are wonderful people who we are proud to consider as great and dear friends.:D Thanks!!!!

I am glad that for the most part everyone is back safe and sound. I am booked on the Dawn for 05/01 and wondering what cabin # you had and the amount of damge. I have 9502 which was one of cabins that were damaged. I read one of the postings that the people who were suppose to have this room this week were cancelled by NCL due to the damage and another posting that the group who booked this for 05/29 has been advised by NCL that this room should be ready

Thanks

basically searched and found all concerns.... having been on a cruise before, i sort of knew what to expect and just was looking for a few insiders tips..

sorry for all these rantings and spelling errors... i just wanted to get some facts out there

thanks vllygrrl.. may your husband stay safe

sam - i had deck 10 aft... very nice... no damage..

ma 2- thanks.... but i feel no need to gush over the crew that did 'their job' and since you too are a po, i know when we hear that by our 'customers' it strikes a nerve... but really i have no reason to credit anyone for any exceptional act

My DH and I were not only on the Dawn when it was hit, we were in one of the two rooms that were hit and damaged. Yes indeed it was scary but not as scary as some of the stories that have come out since. We were two of the four that woke up UNDER water and as bad as that was (believe me it was quite a scary feeling to wake up that way:eek:) We not only STAYED on board but we are extremely grateful to Captain Petersham and his crew because without their expertise many could have been severely injured or even worse. The entire NCL crew deserves nothing but the highest praise for their handling of the situation

Our heartfelt thanks to those from the boards who were so kind to my DH and I and who took the time and trouble to constantly check in on us. Caren, Maryann Miss Riss and all your families,You are wonderful people who we are proud to consider as great and dear friends.:D Thanks!!!!

Two people, two different views.

I found all crew members to be exceptional during this cruise. I am perfectly happy the way NCL has compensated us for the experience we had on this cruise. As far as Miami goes and the immigration process we went through, that had nothing to do with NCL. The immigration process is a government decision, not a cruise line decision. Myself, I waited in line for 15 minutes to get through. Not a big deal. I will be booking a cruise on the Dawn again in the near future.

sam - i had deck 10 aft... very nice... no damage..

We were deck ten aft also, room 10230

Off the subject off your quote, but did you catch the announcement made by the Captain a few hours after the wave hit when he gave the size of the wave. My husband and I know what we heard (we confirmed it with two others) and it was a lot more than the seventy feet the press was putting out. Just seeing if you were able to remember what he said (we remember him saying it was a 140 foot wave on the announcement).

mimi - thats just it. while i feel horrible for what you went through (and did in fact pray for you when i heard of the injuries) the crew did everything in their power for you. and rightfully so, please not get me wrong. but for the others who had the mere problem of getting home, they ignored and provided nothing as a reasonable solution.

trust me trust me trust me - i know my little problem was nothing compared to your ordeal. but the dawn was so hell bent on pleasing you with refunds and charters, they ignored other problems incurred by many...

hope you are fully recovered in body and mind from your incident!

Samthebookitty

The two cabins the were actually damaged by the wave were 9502 and 10502.

My DH and I were in 10502. Many rooms did sustain water damage as well.

I believe the work has already begun on all the rooms. All rugs are being replaced as well as all damage being repaired. I do not know how long it will all take but I don't believe it will be all that long. I do hope you enjoy cruising on the dawn as much as my DH and I did.

firsttimelongtime, my DH is also a PO and I am a dispatcher. God Bless and keep you safe.

I found all crew members to be exceptional during this cruise. I am perfectly happy the way NCL has compensated us for the experience we had on this cruise. As far as Miami goes and the immigration process we went through, that had nothing to do with NCL. The immigration process is a government decision, not a cruise line decision. Myself, I waited in line for 15 minutes to get through. Not a big deal. I will be booking a cruise on the Dawn again in the near future.

This is what I'm talking about. Most of the crew was great, I agree. Exceptional? Every last one? That just is not realistic. Maybe your adjectives are just to strong to describe the people. I know you had to come across someone who did not smile. Is that exceptional? No, it's reality. It happens. No cruise (or vacation) is perfect.

i do not recall what he had said.... the quote that sticks with me was his '100% safe situation'.... 'coast guard aware of stabalizers off' and then the fact that there were 'bumps and bruises' to some people...

can not recall what he said of the wave though

.... the quote that sticks with me was his '100% safe situation'....

Yeah, my husband and I ended up laughing about that line the next night.

firsttimelongtime

Actually, other then recieving another stateroom and having our belongings located cleaned and returned to us we really didn't recieve any special consideration. I take that back we alsohad dinner with the Captain, he wanted a chance to personally apologise for what happened to us on our first cruise.

Thank you so much for your prayers. We were indeed blessed as all we ended up with were some slight cuts and bruises, and one heck of a story to tell our grandchildren about.

I do not make light of what others went through but just wanted to give my take on things, as stanford's girl said tow different people tow different views.

Be Safe out there

Firstimelongtime:

Like you, I find the number of "experts" amazing considering so many of them weren't there. But yet, it's the news media doing all of the false reporting. What a crock!

I noticed that about this forum - it's like an NCL lovefest in here :)

I'm going on the Wind in May... hopefully everything does turn out well.

(But so far things haven't been going well - Itinerary has been changed already, and no one at the reservation center knew about it, and shore excursion forms aren't online yet... with only 30 days to go).

In anycase, I'm going to take the assumption the cruise is going to be bad... so when things turn out OK, it'll be better than expected :) Just like watching a "bad" movie only to think it was pretty good!

and one heck of a story to tell our grandchildren about.

You have a good attitude Mimi. Your grandchildren will be very lucky!:)

I agree. Were there things on this cruise that were negative? Absolutely! Enough to let it ruin the whole cruise? Nah. NCL did try and make up for some of the problems. The open bar started out as a compensation for the mess up of the immigration process. I tried to get breakfast that morning as well and was unable to get it because the dining rooms were closed. Let it ruin my cruise? no. Went to town and ate a nice breakfast by the water with DW. NCL is not perfect, but which line is?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

from firstimelongtime:

the dawn's crew kept open the stores, kept serving food, catering to these non compliers, while i sat on a curb in a parking lot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were the dining rooms opened or closed??? Were you both on the same ship!?!? I'm confused!

You all went through a terrible ordeal. Thank God! everyone got home safe and sound. It could have been worse. I feel for the people who were hurt & had their belongings thrown all over the place. I feel for all the passengers that went thru this life threathening experience. I went thru a similar experience in 1995 on Princess but not as bad as the one You have just been thru. I was scared!!!!! However, I am still cruising 10yrs later. Everyone on The Dawn will have a story to tell and I am sure they will all be different. Some will have good experiences with the Crew and staff while other passengers had a different experience during this emergency. People who were not on the ship should not judge the passengers and what they have to say. They were not there! Ike

Everyone on The Dawn will have a story to tell and I am sure they will all be different. Some will have good experiences with the Crew and staff while other passengers had a different experience during this emergency. People who were not on the ship should not judge the passengers and what they have to say. They were not there! Ike

Definitely my sentiments, too. To the OP, I do have to take issue (a little) with your thread title because there really is no such thing as "THE true account". It may be YOUR true account but it's only one small part of a big picture and the only way we (those who weren't on the cruise) can grasp the big picture is to read as many accounts as possible. From those accounts, we then derive a general picture of what it was like, but even that will be skewed since we can't possibly interview all 2000+ passengers and 1000+ crew members.

I have been told I have a very warped sense of humor, but one of my comments to the Captain and some of the crew was

" The Butler service is terrific. My DH and I never actually went swimming in the ocean during the first 6 days of the cruise. Who would have thought they would be so great as to bring it right to us"

Told you I had a warped sense of humor

Reminds me of the movie 12 Angry Men... every witness and juror had a different perception of the events.

I have been told I have a very warped sense of humor, but one of my comments to the Captain and some of the crew was

" The Butler service is terrific. My DH and I never actually went swimming in the ocean during the first 6 days of the cruise. Who would have thought they would be so great as to bring it right to us"

Told you I had a warped sense of humor

OMG!!! LOL!!! Way too funny Mimi!! :D

Good morning,

I too am an interloper from another cruise line board. I have been reading as many accounts as I can find of the situation with NCL Dawn, so that I judge for myself what the issues might be. This will help me decide on future cruise lines, locations, and departure ports.

I'd like to wish everyone who was on board the Dawn, the very best and am glad that most of you are recovering well from your experiences.

God bless all of you, whatever your view of who or what caused the problem and whom ever you personally blame.

BTW, there were 11 posts made between me startingt o write this and posting it - wow.

MiMi,

Your attitude is terrific, just as it was on the ship. When you are ready to sail again, let me know. Maybe we can do it together. DH and I really enjoyed your company as well. Thanks for having us over for before the storm. Adds to my story that I was in one of those cabins before it was hit. In fact reporters are trying really hard to find you. The Today show cancelled me, and I think it's because I wouldn't tell the producer who you were.

By the way. My cell phone and home phones rang non stop since I pulled into port until 10:00 last night. My mother called the Daily News when we were in S. Carolina and they ran a story and printed my name. After that every news organization started calling, including Chicago and Florida. Mimi, I hope they don't find you until you are ready, because yesterday was a nightmare. I was on the phone without a break and never ate or unpacked a thing. My neighbors fed my kids. Please get in touch with me. And thanks to you too. You are a really good person. And tell your DH we love him too.