dawn - the true account

No offense to what you guys went through but you seem to feel like you are the only folks that have ever been through bad seas.

I was just trying to point out that some of us folks have experienced even worse seas then you did while on the Dawn and with a much less sound/stable ship.

Ok, what you went through was worse! You win! I can't believe that we need to go back and forth about who has had the worse experience. Does it matter? I only attempted to say what we went through.

Ok, what you went through was worse! You win! I can't believe that we need to go back and forth about who has had the worse experience. Does it matter? I only attempted to say what we went through.

If that is all you attempted to say there would have been no argument.

I believe your words were "Unless you were there, you can not begin to imagine what it was like---period"

I was just disputing what you said as I can imagine what it was like.

For your your information we were with out stabilizers for a very long time during the night. In fact the captain made an announcement when he was able to use them. If anyone remembers the details about that announcement please post.

I'm glad that you are back safe.

I was on the 3/20 sailing and was really disappointed with the cruise and we had perfectly fine weather. I posted that I was disappointed with the Dawn and it definitely is not a popular opinion with this board. I think there may be koolaid involved here or they work for NCL. Why else would people get so upset with my opinion--it's just an opinion.

For your your information we were with out stabilizers for a very long time during the night. In fact the captain made an announcement when he was able to use them. If anyone remembers the details about that announcement please post.

My guess is why that is why the seas seemed a lot worse. As a person who has taken several cruises...Some on ships without stabilizers and some on ships with stabilizers I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between the two.

The only time I have ever gotten seasick in the ocean was on the 2 cruises I took with no stabilizers. I can totally sympathize with everyone on that ship.

I'm glad that you are back safe.

I was on the 3/20 sailing and was really disappointed with the cruise and we had perfectly fine weather. I posted that I was disappointed with the Dawn and it definitely is not a popular opinion with this board. I think there may be koolaid involved here or they work for NCL. Why else would people get so upset with my opinion--it's just an opinion.

I think a large majority of us that post on here are pretty loyal to NCL. Even so they shouldn't get upset with your opinion of disappointment. I have had 2 cruises on NCL that I was disappointed in but it had more to do with the atmosphere on the ship than anything else.

Anyway I was curious if you have tried another line or another ship within NCL? I hope you don't let this disappointment ruin cruising for you...Try someone else or another ship before you give up on cruising unless you just really didn't like "cruising".

Caren,

From what I remember of the captain's announcement regarding stabilizers it was something to the effect that reducing speed would cause less rocking about however he came back on to say that he would have to increase speed in order for the stabilizers to kick back in as they only function from a certain speed. We noticed a difference in how fast the ship was moving but didn't feel like the stabilizers were that effective. The captain was further challenged with a head wind.

To those of you who were on last week's cruise I am so glad you all made it back safely. Mimi: You have a great since of humor! I know this carries you through hard times. I can't imagine what it was like to awaken with water all around.

on the SOVEREIGN in the 90's we had a dreadful fire on board while docked in Puerto Rico --- we lost four days --- never made it to St Thomas ...

we got not only ALL our $ back, but also our airfare ...

the Royal Carib golf tourney was the weekend we got back to Miami and

they wanted to ensure everyone who got off the ship looked HAPPY ---

seems that NCL should do SOMETHING about their bad press

The NY/NJ metro area cruisers saw dreadful video on all the TV stations ...and their respective weather-wonks all said they should have known better ...

with all the sophisticated weather equip out there, someone is accountable.

i puked my brains out on the HORIZON between Bermuda and NY for 24 hrs straight, but lord knows i didn't hear the ship screaming like the home video we saw on TV

my heart goes out to those who endured

cin in NJ

Caren,

From what I remember of the captain's announcement regarding stabilizers it was something to the effect that reducing speed would cause less rocking about however he came back on to say that he would have to increase speed in order for the stabilizers to kick back in as they only function from a certain speed. We noticed a difference in how fast the ship was moving but didn't feel like the stabilizers were that effective. The captain was further challenged with a head wind.

Thanks for this info, Caren.

Well, it sounds to me like the Captain knew what he was doing. And maybe we need to stop second-guessing him? Especially since none of us (as far as I know) are captains or have ever piloted a huge cruiseliner. :confused:

Cecilia---I don't think that was necessary. I don't have a problem with people posting comments or questions regarding my experience--so I really don't know where you are coming from. My point was what I said. You can ask questions about what we went through, but unless you went through it you really don't know how it was. Period. So with that statement, you, as the moderator, are suggesting that the board might not be the best place for me? Why is that? I wasn't even angry about the previous poster that I was addressing, so why would it merit this response from "our moderator"?
First, my post to you was not angry and I don't know why you interpreted it that way. Second, I posted my response to you as a member. It has nothing to do with being the moderator. Third, your post came across like no one can question anything about what youv'e said because we weren't there. Well if no one can know what you went through then what do you want people to say? People are comparing seas they've been through to what you went through and you come back with how unless they were there, they can't know what it was like. Again, if you only want to talk to people that were there, you should look for those people. If not, other members are going to participate in the conversation too.

I don't know why you interpreted my post as negative towards you. You didn't read it the way it was intended. I sympathized with your situation.

For those who were not on the cruise of 4/10, you can't imagine what is was like. Everyone will have a different account of what happened as it effected us differently. Unless you were there, you can not begin to imagine what it was like---period. I hope that you never have to experience it first hand.

I can imagine what it was like because I've been aboard several ships that went through days of rough seas, including one being hit by a rogue. Try spending two weeks aboard a small ship trying (not very successfully) to dodge a Hurricane. All but one of these were in the "calm" Caribbean.

The perception that all cruises are calm and motionless is misguided.

Cecelia,

I took your comments to Miss-Riss just as she did. Moderators do not participate in the discussions that they moderate. And since you are listed as "moderator", how do you expect people to seperate that from you posting as a member. It seems to me that it might actually be a conflict of interest to be both. Who monitors your postings? You have very strong opinions. So please stop acting so suprised when some members respond to you the way that they do.

Caren

I took your comments to Miss-Riss just as she did. Moderators do not participate in the discussions that they moderate.
Yes they do. Visit any of the boards and you'll see the moderators participating in discussions.
And since you are listed as "moderator", how do you expect people to seperate that from you posting as a member. It seems to me that it might actually be a conflict of interest to be both. Who monitors your postings?
Most members have no problem understanding that I'm a member just like they are. The only time a discussion is ever moderated is if it breaks community guidelines. Anyone can monitor my postings. If you think I've broken the community guidelines, you can report my post.
You have very strong opinions. So please stop acting so suprised when some members respond to you the way that they do.
I'm surprised that you're being so angry at me for posting my opinion. And I don't understand what's wrong with having a strong opinion; Would it be better for me to have a weak opinion? You can disagree with anything I say but I'm allowed to post here. If you don't agree with that, please contact the community manager at community@cruisecritic.com.

nj cruiser21, my fellow jerseyite, this is my TRUE account... nothing to gain by giving it, and certainly nothing to lose... i just felt too much flowering was going on and someone needed to post some facts..

i am an easy going person and treated the staff with respect and understanding.. and got none in return. maybe that 'squeeky wheel' saying has some merit... next time i will try!

Well let me say, your account doesn't match most we have read and your typing leads me to question your accuracy. You don't know when to use caps and when to use lower case. I didn't know TRUE was proper noun, nor did I know New Jersey, the starting of sentences and pronouns were entered in lower case. I can't spell and guess I don't know much about the English language either. NMNita

In all due respect, I just came over here to peek after hearing

"the news" and all I can say is:

You want an inexpensive crowd-em-on then get-em-off

cruise line, then, with NCL - you got one.

There are far better lines out there folks - far better.

then stay on them and stay their boards. As for inexperienced, most every crew member we have met on NCL cruiese (7 of them) have been with NCL anywhere from 3 to 15 years. I love Celebrity but we have not always had that experience with them. So, make certain you know what you are talking about before you judge. NMnita

Well let me say, your account doesn't match most we have read and your typing leads me to question your accuracy. You don't know when to use caps and when to use lower case. I didn't know TRUE was proper noun, nor did I know New Jersey, the starting of sentences and pronouns were entered in lower case. I can't spell and guess I don't know much about the English language either. NMNita

NMNita, why are you questioning his account of the story and getting so upset over it? Can't people have different experiences? This was his account of his experience on the Dawn.

Your spelling and punctuation is questionable as well.

Guest OBAYbee
... By coming to this board and sharing your story, you're opening it up to everyone to comment on it and ask questions of your experience. No, we weren't all there but if you only want to hear from people who were there, this board might not be the best place.

QUOTE]

*GULP*!!!! let me read her post again to see what exactly she said to get this kind of a response from a host.

"Hi Everyone:

Yes, my family and I were also on the Dawn during this horrific experience. We made it home safely and I am happy about that. I will post some later about our experience, but at this point I am trying to look back to the wonderful time we had prior to the storm. Were we frightened? Absolutely! Yet, through all of this I met some wonderful, wonderful people! Caren, you and your family are wonderful---thanks for holding my hand! Maryann, Mimi---you and your families were just a joy to meet! I hope we will all stay in touch forever! I will also post a review of the entire trip shortly.

For those who were not on the cruise of 4/10, you can't imagine what is was like. Everyone will have a different account of what happened as it effected us differently. Unless you were there, you can not begin to imagine what it was like---period. I hope that you never have to experience it first hand."

hmmm *DOUBLE GULP*

Guest OBAYbee
You are so right miss riss. If none of us was actually on the Dawn, we certainly can't know exactly what you felt. However, I do have to say that this is a message board with many members that obviously weren't cruising with you. By coming to this board and sharing your story, you're opening it up to everyone to comment on it and ask questions of your experience. No, we weren't all there but if you only want to hear from people who were there, this board might not be the best place.

Cecilia---I don't think that was necessary. I don't have a problem with people posting comments or questions regarding my experience--so I really don't know where you are coming from. My point was what I said. You can ask questions about what we went through, but unless you went through it you really don't know how it was. Period. So with that statement, you, as the moderator, are suggesting that the board might not be the best place for me? Why is that? I wasn't even angry about the previous poster that I was addressing, so why would it merit this response from "our moderator"?

Have to agree here!

hello - as my name might suggest, i have been using all of your insightful posting for a year or so. it also helped me choose the dawn for my second ever cruise and my grilfriends first. but lets set the record straight -

the treatment by the crew was lousy all week. it started with the 'change' in our itenarary. we lost one bahama day and by going to their private island (which packed you in like sardines on a dirty beach) and then going to miami, we lost the entire thursday morning ' going thru customs'. they annonounced that we MUST get off the ship at 730 am and go thru customs. me, i get off because they said so. 730 am... off the ship... only to wait while other passengers waited until 1130 to exit. the dawn's crew kept open the stores, kept serving food, catering to these non compliers, while i sat on a curb in a parking lot. then when they allowed back in the terminal, ncl stacked us like cattle for an hour and a half... to top that off, the people who just happened to stroll in an hour later, were allowed to get back on before us waiting in the roped lines. i thought there was going to be a riot when this occurred. so i was unhappy with that fiasco.

now - the rough seas... my problem is that they knew the storm was there and went right into it, placing us all in danger!!! the staff laughed at a woman who was expressing concern long before 'the wave' hit. told her she was foolish and to 'relax'... i also was able to meet a navy vetran who told me he read the weather and we should all brace for the night ahead. (he was right) in seeing him after the incident, he claimed the captain was traveling to slow for the stablizers (?) to kick in and almost rolled the ship several times. it took someone from the ship to call the coast guard, to get their attention. i now understand their is an investigation into the incident.

we waited in a very long line again, when told we could meet with a company rep on getting back. due to work, both my girlfirend and i could not - could not - be delayed and arrive back a day late. when we had to meet with the company reps, all of a sudden they were american males who spoke perfect english. never saw so many english speaking staff for the whole week!!! i told of my necessity to get back and was met with indifference. this at 1pm. he told me that they would be assembling a bus trip or train for people who must get back by sunday. he said go to my cabin and he would call with the info. hearing nothing by 530pm i called 'ruth' who gave me standard, 'not sure yet... anything else i can do you for?' sure she was pleasant, but provided NO answers or solutions what so ever. finally, since we were sitting in port in sc, i took matters into my own hands, and packed my luggage and responded to the 4th floor in an effort to exit the ship. i waited there with many others who were not pleased at all. we then got to the airport and rented a car and drove the 12 plus hours back to ny. i did this on my own, with my own money. (i will be sending in receipts)

to all of you who are here posting ' the crew was great', 'is this such a big deal?' , 'we are sheltered americans', all need to get a grip on reality. your views are either due to your clouded kool aid drinking cruise-a-holic rose colored glasses or you are employees of ncl. you are NOT giving factual accounts of what went on. THIS is the real version of how we were treated... and anyone reading this should know the truth... i have nothing to gain by putting it here and i am not some disgruntled person hell bent on revenge. i actually took the whole incident well, and have been receiving comments all day at work at how calm and forgiving i am about the whole thing. but i had to place this reply to all the hogwash i see here.

my point is that the crew were not some miracle workers, so attentive, and caring and all the other blah blah blah i have read here... i am waiting to hear ' oh the crew actually pees the cure to cancer they are so magical'

they gave all fluff sweet talk with no real solutions... i can get that from any tgif waiter if i want smoke blown up my ****

while i realize they could not help the weather, i base my opinion on how they handled the mess it left. that is all we can really assess, true?

from what i read here your just a complainer and would of complained if you had a perfect trip. my sugestion is for you to stay home and let us that enjoy cruising go after all waves belong on an ocean.

Guest OBAYbee
Yes they do. Visit any of the boards and you'll see the moderators participating in discussions. Most members have no problem understanding that I'm a member just like they are. The only time a discussion is ever moderated is if it breaks community guidelines. Anyone can monitor my postings. If you think I've broken the community guidelines, you can report my post. I'm surprised that you're being so angry at me for posting my opinion. And I don't understand what's wrong with having a strong opinion; Would it be better for me to have a weak opinion? You can disagree with anything I say but I'm allowed to post here. If you don't agree with that, please contact the community manager at community@cruisecritic.com.

As a moderator and using that title when you post it is your job to be neutral IMO. You weren't. And as you can see a number of us agree. What you said just fed the "attack the OP" frenzy.

i noticed warrior.... just look at a thread calling me a liar! thanks guys, as i said, i have lurked here for a year and gained lots from most of you... thats why i felt compelled to write now

Do not feel too discouraged. I was ritually disembowelled in another thread for daring to insult the service I received on a cruise.

Frankly, I do not understand the hostility of certain people at this web site. Everyone has different expectations and experiences. Simply because one person has not had a negative experience does not mean someone else has not.

I am sure a bit more tolerance and maturity would be appreciated by all concerned. Telling someone they should not bother posting in a certain thread because you disagree with their opinion (NMNita) is ludicrous. Part of the function of this site is to educate people. If that means telling the truth about bad service, etc., then so be it.

I don't know why i'm even bothering but wanted to point out that you are taking the comments of a navy veteran (could have been a cook) who stated that the capt. was going tos low for the stabilisers to work and he almost rolled the ship.

First unless he was only going a few knots I can't see why the stabilizers wouldn't work and even then i'm not sure they wouldn't. I find it very hard to believe that he almost rolled the ship. It takes a lot of roll for one to go over and trust me everything would be falling off the shelves and people flying long before it got to the point of rolling over.

But i'm sure the Navy veteran you spoke to probably new more than the captian and crew did.

Scott

I would like to start off by saying that everyone's opinions should be able to be shared because, they are just "opinions" after all.

The only real bummer here is for the folks planning for an up coming trip on the Dawn. I will be on the May 22 sailing and am very excited about this trip despite this unforunate natural occurance. I sailed the Dawn last year and was quite please with the service that I received from the staff that I encountered. Can I say EVERYONE was awesome? No because I did not come in contact with all of the crew members. I am willing to bet that no one that sails on a ship the size of the Dawn comes in contact with every crew member. I can say for certain that I was 100% satisfied with my experience last year, which is why I booked again this year, and am bringing along family members to share the experience. I am realistic in my expecations. Will everything be perfect? Doubtful, I don't think in all of my journeys whether on land or sea I have ever had the "perfect" vacation. I can say however, that I appreciate the good and work at understanding where the bad originates and not misplacing my anger.

I am happy to hear that everyone made it home safely and am sorry that the vacation did not go as planned. Mother nature can be a tricky!

I am looking forward to my vacation and I'm confident that I will enjoy myself once again!

Archived